Lions O Line -- Tommie Draheim plays with heart

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It seems to this fan that the failure to develop National O Line talent in the 12 years of the Dan Dorazio regime are hurting us now.

Are the Internationals better? No. But they come with NFL experience. There is the tendency to be able to drop them into the line and get good play. But we see that Draheim, Foster and even Olafioye, are not superior to the Nationals playing throughout the league. And the Americans have their own learning curve. Draheim and Foster, in particular, must be thinking: Hey, these guys up here can play.

The Nationals, coming straight from college, need time to develop.

As noted over and over, Montreal has been able to play 5 Nationals in the O Line. This creates huge flexibility in the ratio considerations.

This is just one failing during our slide from status as "flagship of the league," during Wally's early years here.

Now we are in catch up mode.

Hamilton passed us by in a hurry when they got Kent Austin.

Toronto will be competitive as long as they have Scott Milanovich.

Calgary might not be able to match last year's 15 wins. O Line has some rebuilding to do. Complacency? But still a force under Hufnagel.

Ottawa looks very much for real. It looks like Rick Campbell can do just fine as Head Coach.

Montreal looks good.

Edmonton should continue to be strong.

That leaves us in the vicinity of Saskatchewan and Winnipeg, hoping ... Make the playoffs? Be competitive? Be entertaining? Win a fair share of games?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Big Time
Champion

Was very disappointed by last night's game. Reminded me far too much of last year. Terrible tackling, terrible execution. I know that there will be penalties and bad plays in every game. HOwever little things like clock management at the end of the first half piss me off more than anything else. I lost track how many times last year Paul McCallum would call for the snap when he could have taken ten more seconds off the clock. I thought this might just be a problem with PM. However yesterday before the end of the half, the could have easily escaped with a tie but lack of awareness gave the ball back to Ottawa who made them pay. Did it matter in the grand scheme of things? Maybe not but they are indicative of a team that is not prepared.

There were many low points yesterday but there was one play in particular that stood out for me. It was a 2nd down play and Ottawa needed about 5 yards. THey threw the ball in the backfield and Ronnie Yell had a clear path to the defender. For reasons that I do not understand, he decided to dive low at the player and didn't even try to grab him for a tackle. The result was the player was pushed back, but stayed on his feet and easily ran for a first down.

Why did this play bother me? Because Yell decided that he would rather go for a big hit than actually make a tackle. Sure, he got a lick on the guy, but the point of the play was to stop Ottawa on 2nd down. Instead, by going for the big hit, Yell gave up a first down. This was exacty the type of selfish and stupid play that killed the Lions last year.

This is what separates guys like Bighill and SolE from regular players. They make tackles, period. They know that success is measured by the tackles you make, as opposed to the big hits that don't finish the play. When you go for the tackle every time, the big hits will follow.

Overall this team looked okay in spurts but they still have a ton to learn about tackling and putting pressure on the other team. There was too much of a random quality to the defensive strategy which led me to believe they didn't really know what they were doing. On offese, while I was glad that Travis got through unscathed, he does not as of yet look like the QB we used to know. He missed a lot of open receivers and his timing was off. WHile that might come around, I'm concerned that the injury toll may have left him closer to an average QB than the top level QB he used to be.

There''s no shortage of room for improvement next week. Let's hope they learned from this week.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote: There were many low points yesterday but there was one play in particular that stood out for me. It was a 2nd down play and Ottawa needed about 5 yards. THey threw the ball in the backfield and Ronnie Yell had a clear path to the defender. For reasons that I do not understand, he decided to dive low at the player and didn't even try to grab him for a tackle. The result was the player was pushed back, but stayed on his feet and easily ran for a first down.

Why did this play bother me? Because Yell decided that he would rather go for a big hit than actually make a tackle. Sure, he got a lick on the guy, but the point of the play was to stop Ottawa on 2nd down. Instead, by going for the big hit, Yell gave up a first down. This was exacty the type of selfish and stupid play that killed the Lions last year.
Yes. That bothered me too. Obviously many college coaches allow this type of attempted, "flashy" body tackle, without wrapping the receiver up. So we see it in the pros. I agree that it is unacceptable. Part of why they do it is because it is less painful for the would-be tackler. You dive. You hit with your padded shoulder, or even your hips, and you make your contact with the ground, on your own. With wrapping, all kinds of pain can happen. Scrapes, bruises, tangles, et cetera.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

For ripping the OL you have to find 1040's recording of Farhan Lalji who didn't make any friends on that OL. It will icey for him at the Lions training centre this week. Farhan came on at the top of the hour (7 pm if I recall it right). He had to be reminded of his comments from last year by the Moj and Chris Burns on the Lions play vs last year. They had him do a small back pedal on how great the former team was in the stretch and his remarks back then.

His key point. If you're going to play 3 INTs in the OL they have to be dominant. One of the Moj or Burns said something like better than Matt Norman and FL replied along the lines of - it won't take much.

But that was the harshest criticism of a Lions team on both sides of the ball I've heard from Lalji.

As to the Als OL, as Trestman said this weekend about Jim Popp and QBs - Popp always manages to find the good ones. Mutual admiration society and Mark is in MTL now every summer with his wife. Higgins has no need to be concerned as he's by all accounts doing a super job since replacing Dan Hawkins - who was so bad it's a good thing for Popp that he has an owner who likes his work but that was a horrible, horrible hire. Part of me thinks that Trestman - if he gets dumped in the NFL again - would love to coach in the CFL - likely given his home in SC - in MTL but I bet he'd settle for any eastern city then look to the west. He loves the CFL game and it's nuances. He should also love the new converts as it is making teams go for 2 and this is making it interesting and less predictable.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Excerpts from the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
It seemed for a while that the 27-year-old right tackle (Jovan Olafioye) might indeed go through his whole career being heralded as the only bright light among his positional peers, because if there was one constant among the linemen under former assistant coach Dan Dorazio it was their inconsistent play.

But a slight shift in the overall development of the group seems evident under new offensive line coach Doug Malone. It is still early, but it has at least reached a point where the offensive line isn’t always under siege ...
It seems to this fan that as much as the physical rigour, it was a breaking down of confidence, a setting in of confusion and uncertainty that posed problems for our O Line under Dorazio.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

But a slight shift in the overall development of the group seems evident under new offensive line coach Doug Malone. It is still early, but it has at least reached a point where the offensive line isn’t always under siege, perhaps because it isn’t always undergoing personnel changes.

B.C. will start the same lineup up front for the fourth straight game against the Toronto Argonauts on Friday at B.C. Place. It’s not a major accomplishment, but at this stage last year the Lions had already fielded three different line combinations, a shuffle that eventually had a debilitating effect.

There are other small things, too, such as the fact that Malone doesn’t view practice as a torture test, as often appeared to be the case for 12 years under Dorazio.

Whatever it is, it’s paid off. B.C. has given up only a league-low two sacks. Quarterback Travis Lulay hasn’t been dropped in two games and the Lions are on an early franchise-record pace for allowing the fewest sacks.
Has there been "a shift in the overall development"? For sure.

Two sacks in three games. Outstanding. The QB not running for his life, or being snowed under, or doing a super quick look, throw and duck.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“This is a really different challenge this week,” Tedford cautioned. “Toronto has a very aggressive group.”
Aggressive defence? That would be nice for us too. Wishful thinking.

When an offence does not have to worry about an aggressive, attacking defence, the opponent can prepare and plan how to take apart that defence.

Just IMO, as a fan of the CFL ...

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

To me, this is the most telling quote in LU's article:
“All the work Dan did with us over the years is a credit to what we did in a game. It was old-school, and that’s his mentality,” said Olafioye. “Malone has done a good job preserving us. I don’t feel as tired as I might have in the past.”
Dorazio worked them hard. Malone has allowed them to play football without demanding to see gas bubbles coming out their noses.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:To me, this is the most telling quote in LU's article:
“All the work Dan did with us over the years is a credit to what we did in a game. It was old-school, and that’s his mentality,” said Olafioye. “Malone has done a good job preserving us. I don’t feel as tired as I might have in the past.”
Dorazio worked them hard. Malone has allowed them to play football without demanding to see gas bubbles coming out their noses.
Too funny, BCF.

Dorazio loved that tough talk. He was channeling NFL OL coach Alex Gibbs.

"I want gas from your a** and snot from your nose."

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/113271

Words from Doug Malone and Tommie Draheim ...

Malone re Draheim: He is very athletic. We have him pull on that play. We will do that with Jovan also.

Draheim: We jelled pretty well in Camp. We're learning to play together. We've got a good unit of guys. We watch a lot of film.

Malone: What they did in the past is in the past. We're moving forward. We've got a great room. They've played well and I'm proud of them.

Draheim: You've got to have technique and position. Fast guys can capitalize against you. Getting after them is key. We're bigger and stronger than they are, so we have to get in there and wear them out. Beat them down. Be physical. Beat them up. Any time you get a chance to put them on the ground, do it. Take some football out of them.

Malone: We have to match their intensity, their ferocity. We've got to be physical.

Wow. This fan loves what he is hearing. And seeing. No nonsense. Physical. Use you size. Beat the D Linemen down.

And it seems to be working. The 12 year headache of frustration watching endless experiments in the lab is a thing of the past.

Doug Malone, who really does look like Jonathan Winters, looks like a neat coach to play for. He looks like a lineman, talks like a lineman and coaches like a lineman. :thup:

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:Words from Doug Malone and Tommie Draheim ...

Malone re Draheim: He is very athletic. We have him pull on that play. We will do that with Jovan also.

Draheim: We jelled pretty well in Camp. We're learning to play together. We've got a good unit of guys. We watch a lot of film.

Malone: What they did in the past is in the past. We're moving forward. We've got a great room. They've played well and I'm proud of them.

Draheim: You've got to have technique and position. Fast guys can capitalize against you. Getting after them is key. We're bigger and stronger than they are, so we have to get in there and wear them out. Beat them down. Be physical. Beat them up. Any time you get a chance to put them on the ground, do it. Take some football out of them.

Malone: We have to match their intensity, their ferocity. We've got to be physical.

Wow. This fan loves what he is hearing. And seeing. No nonsense. Physical. Use you size. Beat the D Linemen down.

And it seems to be working. The 12 year headache of frustration watching endless experiments in the lab is a thing of the past.

Doug Malone, who really does look like Jonathan Winters, looks like a neat coach to play for. He looks like a lineman, talks like a lineman and coaches like a lineman. :thup:
With Malone's southern drawl, the interview looked like Winters doing a skit on his take on the stereotypical football coach. It made me lol even though there were no cliches or jokes. :beauty:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Words from Doug Malone and Tommie Draheim ...

With Malone's southern drawl, the interview looked like Winters doing a skit on his take on the stereotypical football coach. It made me lol even though there were no cliches or jokes. :beauty:
True that, Dano. And Malone has that little smile, and twinkle in the eye. LOL

He would win a lookalike contest for sure, as Jonathan Winters.

He is a breath of fresh air. And it seems the guys have bought in. Everyone was respectful of the previous regime, very classy.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Be the aggressor. Take it to them. :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/114073

This is beautiful. Tommie Draheim and Kirby Fabien cave in the right side of Edmonton's D Line on the early run for 33 yards by Andrew Harris. Many guys locked on.

Against nine men in the box for the Schmos.

(copied this over from the Post Game Thread ... focus on the O Line, a group which oftentimes goes unrecognized or taken for granted)

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some excerpts from a very nice article by Mike Beamish about Tommie Draheim ...

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
Born with a small hole in his heart, a congenital defect, the cardiac kid grew up to make his mark at El Capitan high school in Lakeside, Calif., became a conference first-team all-star at San Diego State and has spent time with seven teams in the pros — six of them in the National Football League — although he still is only 26.
“I was fortunate I never needed any surgery,” Draheim explained, after the Lions made final preparations for Saturday’s game in Hamilton against the Tiger-Cats.

“My heart healed on its own. I’m still monitored closely today. Every time I fill out a health form, with whatever team I’m on, I always have to document my history. I have to go through the tests. A lot of these teams are on top of it. The doctors back home are on top of it. But it’s not something that’s at the forefront of my mind, or worries me on a day-to-day basis.”
The very definition of a journeyman, Draheim’s status is in need of an upgrade considering the way he has stepped in to fill a position that was a revolving door for the Lions. No less than six players lined up at left tackle in 2014, among them Victoria-born Hunter Steward, the projected starter this year. But Steward broke his foot (for the second time) early in training camp and Draheim won the job.

“He’s done a great job,” Steward says. “Tommie’s made it so that I don’t have to rush back early. We don’t have a spinning door there like last year.”
Hunter Steward was something of a phenom for us before he got hurt.

Tommie Draheim, IMO, plays a very solid game for us at left tackle. Strong. Mobile. Moves men out. Locks on in pass protection. All those teams. All that experience. Bonus for us.
Out of necessity, coach Jeff Tedford’s decision to go with three American linemen has allowed the Lions to take a sharp turn toward impenetrability in a short time. In six games, B.C. has allowed just five quarterback sacks, the fewest in the CFL.
Credit to Tedford for the concept. Credit to Doug Malone for getting the guys ready.
As the man who patrols a space where trouble lives, protecting right-handed quarterback Travis Lulay’s blind side, or back side, Draheim must be quick enough to dance with the speed rushers; and strong enough to take on the bull rushers.
“We take pride in that (sacks allowed),” Draheim said. “But it’s something that everybody on offence has a part in. If we miss a block, Andrew Harris (an excellent blocker) is there to make it right. If the defence sends an extra guy, Travis is really good at getting rid of the ball. It’s a group effort ... and we’ve had a lot of continuity. None of us has missed games. So, we’ve had a chance to get better each week.”
Breath of fresh air with this group, under the leadership of Doug Malone, after the unending agony of the last regime.