Lions Add Another Arm

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If the Lions decide to keep Beck, I have no problem with that. He looked good for the most part in his play.

Whatever. Brand new ball game. Got some hopes. Got some good, young arms coming to Camp.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
BC 1988
Legend

The new coaching staff will want to properly evaluate Beck to see if he can be a fit with their new systems, particularly if Travis Lulay is not ready to go to start the season. I think he will be given a couple of starts (which he never got last season) then he will be gone.
JohnHenry
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:The new coaching staff will want to properly evaluate Beck to see if he can be a fit with their new systems, particularly if Travis Lulay is not ready to go to start the season. I think he will be given a couple of starts (which he never got last season) then he will be gone.
We'll never know if any QB can play, unless he's given a chance to play. Beck showed some signs of being an effective QB, like looking downfield despite being pressured...but making a good throw was another matter. Beck completed only 19 of 41attempts (46%) for 287 yds, with 5 Td's and 0 Int's in his favour.

Travis Partridge looked surprisingly good in his one chance to play in the Eastern Semi last year, going 7 of 11 (64%) with 2 Td's and 0 Int's (while starter K. Glenn completed only 6 of 18 (33%) with 0 Td's and 2 Int's in the remainder of the game.
:bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:The new coaching staff will want to properly evaluate Beck to see if he can be a fit with their new systems, particularly if Travis Lulay is not ready to go to start the season. I think he will be given a couple of starts (which he never got last season) then he will be gone.
We'll never know if any QB can play, unless he's given a chance to play. Beck showed some signs of being an effective QB, like looking downfield despite being pressured...but making a good throw was another matter. Beck completed only 19 of 41attempts (46%) for 287 yds, with 5 Td's and 0 Int's in his favour.

Travis Partridge looked surprisingly good in his one chance to play in the Eastern Semi last year, going 7 of 11 (64%) with 2 Td's and 0 Int's (while starter K. Glenn completed only 6 of 18 (33%) with 0 Td's and 2 Int's in the remainder of the game.
These are some of the slim threads that the new Lions HC must be grasping on and praying not to break. He isn't about to tell fans but I am sure he's had talks with Wally and his OC that he is very, very concerned about the QB situation as his entire first year could be heading into the toilet without someone who can play. If this were Buck and how they spun his concussions the fans would be total shock and outrage they'd not be bringing in a starter but lucky for them the narrative with Lulay hasn't been to write him off.

But honestly Lulay is one hit from the end of his career.

The QB scenario if these guys don't step up is going to be a disaster so I hope these new RBs he is bringing and new up front blocking philosophy means they have a fantastic running game which is not relying on the QB to win it all.

The mess we were in with Glenn can be summed up by his words where the Lions were never anything but Lulay's team while he was here. However this new HC isn't locked into anyone yet but no doubt his CFL experience makes him realize QBs aren't easy to get who can start.

And it's not lost on me that when Tedford was in the CFL the defensive talent might be not quite as to where the CFL is now with bigger, stronger faster defensive players who can play and beat you.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:

These are some of the slim threads that the new Lions HC must be grasping on and praying not to break. He isn't about to tell fans but I am sure he's had talks with Wally and his OC that he is very, very concerned about the QB situation as his entire first year could be heading into the toilet without someone who can play. If this were Buck and how they spun his concussions the fans would be total shock and outrage they'd not be bringing in a starter but lucky for them the narrative with Lulay hasn't been to write him off.

But honestly Lulay is one hit from the end of his career.

The QB scenario if these guys don't step up is going to be a disaster so I hope these new RBs he is bringing and new up front blocking philosophy means they have a fantastic running game which is not relying on the QB to win it all.

The mess we were in with Glenn can be summed up by his words where the Lions were never anything but Lulay's team while he was here. However this new HC isn't locked into anyone yet but no doubt his CFL experience makes him realize QBs aren't easy to get who can start.

And it's not lost on me that when Tedford was in the CFL the defensive talent might be not quite as to where the CFL is now with bigger, stronger faster defensive players who can play and beat you.

I think Lulay has already had that career ending hit and he should look into coaching if he wants to stay with a football career.

With Lulay only playing one game last season, if Glenn had played better the Lions would have been his team. Glenn was a big disappointment.
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:I think Lulay has already had that career ending hit and he should look into coaching if he wants to stay with a football career.

With Lulay only playing one game last season, if Glenn had played better the Lions would have been his team. Glenn was a big disappointment.
I agree--I honestly don't think Tedford and his staff are planning their strategy around Travis Lulay being healthy and the number 1 QB. They might say that he is No. 1, but they can't actually mean that.

As for Glenn--to me, the biggest issue was that he is a completely different style of QB, and the BC offense of 2014 was still built around a QB of Lulay's abilities. Glenn being parachuted in last May 13th (and into the chaotic environment of a Mike Benevides led staff) was the worst possible circumstances.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
DanoT wrote:I think Lulay has already had that career ending hit and he should look into coaching if he wants to stay with a football career.

I agree--I honestly don't think Tedford and his staff are planning their strategy around Travis Lulay being healthy and the number 1 QB. They might say that he is No. 1, but they can't actually mean that.

As for Glenn--to me, the biggest issue was that he is a completely different style of QB, and the BC offense of 2014 was still built around a QB of Lulay's abilities. Glenn being parachuted in last May 13th (and into the chaotic environment of a Mike Benevides led staff) was the worst possible circumstances.

Fully agree that the failure of the Lions to realize that you have to give your QB schemes and plays that they can win with - which is the entire Calgary Stampeders philosophy under Hufnagel and Dickinson.

As to not being Glenn's team I don't agree Dano with your take that if he won - it would be his team.

Glenn is smart - and for him to say that it was never anything but Lulay's team speaks volumes. Post season players spoke up and knocked other players right down to how they wouldn't even respect parking rules. That typically shows a coaching view from the HC down that tolerates that sort of crap and it doesn't lead to winning.

I agree too that Tedford knows they simply can't pick up the phone and call another team and say - hey do you want to trade for Lulay. We'll take your starter in exchange. Lulay likely would fail their medicals based only on his last year record.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. It didn't make sense for the Lions to six QBs to fight for a developmental role behind Lulay and Beck. Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports offers this insight:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Hearing the #BCLions are trying to re-work qb Travis Lulay's contract before the offensive spring camp next week.

#BCLions are talking with Lulay's agent, trying to find a more cap friendly number for the well respected starting qb.
It's time to play hardball.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. It didn't make sense for the Lions to six QBs to fight for a developmental role behind Lulay and Beck. Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports offers this insight:
Hearing the #BCLions are trying to re-work qb Travis Lulay's contract before the offensive spring camp next week.

#BCLions are talking with Lulay's agent, trying to find a more cap friendly number for the well respected starting qb.
Never mind renegotiating Lulay's contract as it is time to find a new starting QB. If he lacks the strength to throw the long bomb, then defenses will adjust, take away the short and middle passing game and not worry about the long throw game and then the Lions will struggle.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. It didn't make sense for the Lions to six QBs to fight for a developmental role behind Lulay and Beck. Rick Dhaliwal of News1130 Sports offers this insight:

Shouldn't this have been done at the end of last season? Unless the Lions were waiting for some indication as to where Lulay's arm was going to be at going into TC. This kind of stinks IMO from the Lions office, or at least it tells the fans that things aren't exactly set in stone at the QB position going into 2015.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Actually it tells me that the prognosis for the shoulder has become clearer and it isn't particularly optimistic. I'm guessing that they are going into these conversations with some serious doubt as to how well he will be able to play and how long. I can understand that but like most things, there are ways of having that conversation and then there are ways..... Travis has earned a respectful and forthright dialog on this matter and I hope that is what he is getting.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:Shouldn't this have been done at the end of last season? Unless the Lions were waiting for some indication as to where Lulay's arm was going to be at going into TC. This kind of stinks IMO from the Lions office, or at least it tells the fans that things aren't exactly set in stone at the QB position going into 2015.
Both Wally and Lulay have discussed the issue publicly since the end of last season. Lulay is entering the final year of a contract that reportedly pays him more than $450,000 a year. Wally said he wanted to see where Lulay is at in his recovery before discussing an extension (which would presumably offer Lulay a few more years at a lower number). Has Lulay shown that he can come back and be the No. 1 QB? Not if he isn't ready to fully participate in throwing camp next week. I still hope that he can be that guy, but the odds are against it and his arm strength was a problem in recent years, even when he was supposedly healthy. They can't afford another season like last year, when they waited patiently for him to come back and he lasted less than one full game.