Lions Sign Two more ex-Cal's

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
cromartie wrote:
leo4life wrote:The club also announced they extented WR Marco Ianuzzi through 2016.
Ugh. Really?

What I do like is that the Lions are not only signing some big recievers but it also looks like they are going to potentially use a big import tight end in some packages. Brings back memories of Harry Holt and Pat Claridge.
Or ol' 71 Lefty Hendrickson.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Only memory of Henrickson is his penchant for going off side. I mentioned it to him at one of the Grey Cup, he laughed and said because of his lack of speed he needed a head start. :wink:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Only memory of Henrickson is his penchant for going off side. I mentioned it to him at one of the Grey Cup, he laughed and said because of his lack of speed he needed a head start. :wink:
And yet Elgaard got away scot-free for years!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Only memory of Henrickson is his penchant for going off side. I mentioned it to him at one of the Grey Cup, he laughed and said because of his lack of speed he needed a head start. :wink:
And yet Elgaard got away scot-free for years!
True and he isn't the only one.
David
Team Captain

I had the pleasure of meeting Lefty Hendrickson - who still looks great BTW - prior to a home game last year, where he was stationed signing autographs. He seemed very impressed that "someone as young as me" knew that his real name was Lynn (I appear younger than I actually am).

There's an interesting article on him HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

“Marco gives us solid Canadian depth at multiple receiving positions as well as key special teams contributions so this is a key extension for the club,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono.
Yeah, no. He does nothing that Haidera couldn't do better other than act as a decoy at the wide side position. And Haidera is definitely better return blocking on Special Teams. *smh*
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
“Marco gives us solid Canadian depth at multiple receiving positions as well as key special teams contributions so this is a key extension for the club,” said VP of football operations and GM Wally Buono.
Yeah, no. He does nothing that Haidera couldn't do better other than act as a decoy at the wide side position. And Haidera is definitely better return blocking on Special Teams. *smh*
Oh he does Cro, he takes care of Wally's portfolio. Can't figure how else he stays at the front of the N pack.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

cromartie wrote:
Who said Iannuzzi's role on special teams was to be a blocker? Granted we do have Tim Brown, there were times last year when we didn't have Brown in the lineup due to the ratio.
Roar you Lions roar!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Who said Iannuzzi's role on special teams was to be a blocker? Granted we do have Tim Brown, there were times last year when we didn't have Brown in the lineup due to the ratio.
Actually returning is a roll he appears to have fallen up into. On punt returns one of his responsibilities was to block one of the opposing team's gunners, a skill at which he perform best at whilst employing a cape and screaming ole. Replacing him with Haidera improved our return blocking considerably.

I'm sure he's a great guy personally, and he may find a better role in a different offense and with a rejuvenated Lulay. Let me suggest that, like Ottawa's front office, I haven't been a fan. All passports being equal, I'd rather see Haidara in an expanded role.
The_Pauser
Legend

cromartie wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Actually returning is a roll he appears to have fallen up into. On punt returns one of his responsibilities was to block one of the opposing team's gunners, a skill at which he perform best at whilst employing a cape and screaming ole. Replacing him with Haidera improved our return blocking considerably.

I'm sure he's a great guy personally, and he may find a better role in a different offense and with a rejuvenated Lulay. Let me suggest that, like Ottawa's front office, I haven't been a fan. All passports being equal, I'd rather see Haidara in an expanded role.
Fair enoufh, and I agree with you that in terms of blocking, Haidara is the better option. In fact, I would like to see Haidara used more in the offense too.

I'm liking the depth we're building though. Never hurts to have too much depth. Should make for an interesting camp, and hopefully the best players will be kept regardless of current status.
Roar you Lions roar!