Blue Bombers: Turn your green into gold

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blue Bombers merchandise shop had an interesting promotion today, St. Patrick's Day: turn in any item of Ssk Roughriders swag and receive a 30% discount on any purchase of Bombers gear.

http://www.thesnap.ca/bombers-ask-cfl-f ... into-gold/
Bombers Ask CFL Fans To Turn Their Green Into Gold

When we first saw this we couldn’t believe our eyes. Yup, the official Bombers Store is asking CFL fans to turn their Rider green into Bombers gold as they go the anti-St.Patty’s day route.

All you have to do is take your green Riders gear (if you own any) and take it down to the Bombers store and they’ll give you 30% off ANY Bombers gear, INCLUDING jersey’s! Got an old Riders tee someone gave you and you never wore? Turn that into 30% off an offical Drew Willy jersey!

They’re even running a contest of a free Jason Vega jersey to the person that brings in the MOST green gear for trade.
Since some of you have multiple *gasp* items of Rider gear, the person that brings in the most will win a signed @VegaJason jersey & hat
Man, we love CFL rivalries.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

I love this promotion. :rockin:

Just a brilliant, creative, cheeky and irreverent stroke by someone over at the Bombers. I am sure they are getting their fair share of green turned in too....kind of like "gun amnesty day." lol

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I love this promotion. :rockin:

Just a brilliant, creative, cheeky and irreverent stroke by someone over at the Bombers. I am sure they are getting their fair share of green turned in too....kind of like "gun amnesty day." lol

Yeah I wonder if the Riders will have an answer to this.

LOL I just realised I wrote the subject backwards... should be green into gold, obviously for this story.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I love this promotion. :rockin:

Awesome !!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The thread title caught me off guard but like others I too think that these are brilliant, creative marketing ploys that work.

I posted the Lions Rethink ads from 2006 or 08 that showed a Stamp player hiding behind a sideline official - it was a shot that was almost made for that caption.

This is the kind of good rivalry that is needed. It doesn't disrespect or trash talk your rival either - that I dislike.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, I liked the commercials like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVNboUO05g
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I thought it was a good promotion as well. Unfortunately, it isn't really an upgrade for the person turning in the Rider gear. But every fanbase has to start somewhere....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Gas on the fire for the Banjo Bowl ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:I thought it was a good promotion as well. Unfortunately, it isn't really an upgrade for the person turning in the Rider gear. But every fanbase has to start somewhere....
From a west coast POV, it *is* a bit of a lateral move. >:)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Mariners released their 2015 ads yesterday. They are done in house but have that ReThink humour to them. Would love to see the Lions do something similar with their players and staff. The Cano ad is hilarious.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:Gas on the fire for the Banjo Bowl ...
Quite surprisingly the majority of denizens over on RF.com gave the ad a thumbs up. They didn't see many folks taking advantage of the promotion of course. Nonetheless they took it in the humorous yet cheeky spirit it was intended to portray.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Yep, I liked the commercials like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVNboUO05g
The Lions need to get back to that type of creative ad. Note that Rethinks ad got 147K views and a lot of very positive comments on youtube.

Weren't there more fans in those days too?

This is a good one too by the Lions in 08: You belong in the stands.

The other and it says "banned ad in Canada" was a bit tough- Are you fan enough :

7 ads from 2007:

2013 and Benny speech is the ad by Grupvix:

Same year 2013 and Lulay game day ad:

SAme year - Shawn Gore:

The Rethink ads were memorable.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:The Lions need to get back to that type of creative ad. Note that Rethinks ad got 147K views and a lot of very positive comments on youtube.

Weren't there more fans in those days too?
I think even the most fervent and jaded Rider fan would concede that the Bomber campaign is a pretty effective promotion, if for nothing else than creating buzz at a dead time of year. :thup:

As for Re-Think Toppy, IIRC the ads started 2003 with the fresh blood of Buono and company (we only averaged 21,370 that year). The first campaign was "You Belong In The Stands" to get people into the stadium. I did like their attention grabbing approach to draw focus on the brand, although I did find the ads at the time rather hit or miss (the never-seen-the-light-of-day hand stuck in a printing press anyone?). Over time, I (and others on the board like SammyGreene) wanted more attention drawn toward all the great players/personalities on the team (Clermont, Murphy, Dickenson, Johnson) instead of an ad campaign that frankly, had become a bit stale and started leaning more toward the abstract and esoteric.

I believe it's time for another change. "Pride" was okay, but it's too passive. There's no call to action. For some time, I've wanted a campaign that gets testimonials from passionate fans so the casual observer can sense that the Lions have a dedicated, committed fan base. Unfortunately, I noticed a few weeks ago that the Canucks are using this same approach! Instead then, I might do something where some of the key players (perhaps even Wally as he's so well known/respected) speak one-on-one into a camera about the love for the team that they feel when they are out volunteering in the community etc (the effect of which is two-fold).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Gas on the fire for the Banjo Bowl ...
Quite surprisingly the majority of denizens over on RF.com gave the ad a thumbs up. They didn't see many folks taking advantage of the promotion of course. Nonetheless they took it in the humorous yet cheeky spirit it was intended to portray.
Yes they are great fans.

I would expect some payback, however, for the clever ad campaign.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

And there is a happy ending to all of this, because Canada.

http://www.620ckrm.com/ckrm-on-air/ckrm ... generosity