The CFL's New Commissioner is....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:The new Commissioner has to be both fan and player friendly for my liking. A tough one with the owners though but the players are key to the product and trouncing them like the last guy did was wrong.

This guy will have to address injuries too as this movement is growing.

WCJ... I knew I'd get a reaction...lol... Suitor is good too but there are times he gets overly happy with the big hits or decries a big hit penalty.

At my age - maybe I need Black to repeat things lol....

I like his depth of knowledge of players and stories abt these guys and how he gets the human interest story into each game. More time than radio guys as they have to broadcast the play whereas on TV it shows itself and they can do the other stories.

Honestly though I find Cuthbert a good announcer but his voice not as easy to listen to. I prefer Black. But what I do think is that is the fan who started this anti-Black rant movement that has built up on forums is like the guy who starts rumours that X has died and this stuff goes on and on for years as people hear this.

I'd love to have Ball (now gone) and Guilio do CFL broadcasts. Farhan did a good game once but he got hammered by some fans.

There was a rumour at my company that a manager (good looking younger guy) was caught by cameras in the parkade of the office having sex with a blonde woman. There were 6 nice looking blonde women (2 of them worked for me) that were named as being in that car. That story was laughed off by everyone in high places as it wasn't true but it was incredible how it would surface over the years as a FACT. When one of the women came to me with 'did you hear...' I had to tell her that HER NAME was also being circulated depending on who got the story.

Origin - this manager fired the niece of another employee who confronted this manager. The manager felt the guy was going to get even somehow and this story got going. I traced it back to the confronter's department as who my staff heard it from. It should have been investigated but they felt it would go away. I even had a new CEO some years later ask me about it and this person came from the outside and that was 10 years later!

It is like the time I asked the NV public health inspectors if a certain Chinese restaurant served cat as I swore I heard it was in the local paper. The head of this laughed and said NO - but that the rumours were so strong they gave these places letters saying they have never been found to serve cat as chicken. I still see this same thing on FB for a NV group - once...lol.

I bet Black is respected in his industry as someone more than just a voice but a guy who has contributed to the success of the CFL.
So is what you are saying is that the former commissioner Cohan was not really following the exact wishes of the owners but instead, on his own went out and got a tough deal with the players? If this is true then I must be following a different league.
Good question.... that I should clarify my position on. No sj...I'm not suggesting that at all.

Clearly he did the owners bidding in crushing the power of the union for a long, long time. I just didn't think the Commissioner should have done that so visibly himself as he made himself the face of that movement.

In the old days in tough labour relations you'd not have the CEO or VP HR at the table as these guys had to be open to working positively with union leaders so they sent their Lab.Rel head (who is not usually the one to be buddy with the union to be the visible presence. Some firms even contract that out so the heat falls on the head negotiator.)

I believe the CFL needs to be seen to be in partnership with the players and the face of that should be the Commissioner. I know it is hard with owners like David Braley who disliked Tom Wright as Commissioner and Bobby Ackles had the opposite view and said so in public. Shows that even the tough Braley is open to his top people not agreeing with him.

It's a tough job but I am in the camp that says the CFL knew full well the BS about the union's proposal they were peddling was just that a lot of BS. What the CFL did well was win with the jury of public opinion knowing that the average worker and fan hasn't seen his or her REAL income rise for 3 decades now so why should rich football players get more than them. Quite frankly this is happening all over and working to the benefit of businesses who could pay more but don't as they know they have the workers where they want them. I heard one speaker say about how Google doesn't need to pay top dollar as everyone wants to work there. This wasn't a Google exec but it suggests why we've got the problems these days as employees are no longer viewed as stakeholders in many organizations. Small biz owners can't pay more but the big guys can.

My political rant is nearly over ...lol... but for more information on how Canadians are being screwed go to www.generationsqueeze.ca .

We live in times where we've been so conditioned by politicians and media that we will actually vote against our groups own best interests. Check out the IMF report showing wages falling globally and in synch with the decline in power of the unions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
DanoT wrote:So is what you are saying is that the former commissioner Cohan was not really following the exact wishes of the owners but instead, on his own went out and got a tough deal with the players? If this is true then I must be following a different league.
Good question.... that I should clarify my position on. No sj...I'm not suggesting that at all.
Not to inject myself into this facet of the discussion but just for clarity, it's DanoT's comments to which you were responding. I wrote a couple of other posts immediately before yours so I get how you might have honestly mixed that up... no hard feelings.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Wonder how many Argos games he attended of his own volition?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:
DanoT wrote:So is what you are saying is that the former commissioner Cohan was not really following the exact wishes of the owners but instead, on his own went out and got a tough deal with the players? If this is true then I must be following a different league.
Not to inject myself into this facet of the discussion but just for clarity, it's DanoT's comments to which you were responding. I wrote a couple of other posts immediately before yours so I get how you might have honestly mixed that up... no hard feelings.
No, not a problem for me at all...lol.

I was a bit harsh in my views as I took the players views on this. Also I had read their negotiator's stories and felt they done badly and it's indisputable that any Commissioner serves at the pleasure of owners. I suspect players have no input on the search and maybe they should have.
BC 1988
Legend

Orridge is still pretty green about the Canadian game to reach this level now. When he was with CBC, they had long since divested themselves of the CFL as part of their mandate.

I think by definition the post of Commissioner "serves at the pleasure of the owners".
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:Orridge is still pretty green about the Canadian game to reach this level now. When he was with CBC, they had long since divested themselves of the CFL as part of their mandate.

I think by definition the post of Commissioner "serves at the pleasure of the owners".
Like any CEO who serves at the pleasure of the board there are constraints on freedom of operations.

The ability to secure great broadcast deals is a good thing - but they truly need a Commissioner with a vision for how to grow this game with both big TICKET SPONSORS as well as grow the fan base in stadiums.

Granted that the Commissioner is constrained in this area too as teams and owners must be the ones that foot the bills here.

My sense though is that the CFL needs to learn how the big soccer clubs like Man U and Man City and Liverpool build their brands such that all over the globe you see their fans in their kit.

Ethnic marketing baby is the path to the future. Who's got the cash, the chance to go to games - focus there especially to those living downtown.

IF I were the Lions' I'd be finding a Chinese player and an East Indian or two who can both deliver on the field and help grow their fan base. I really think Bobby Singh was a missed opportunity as he'd be a great asset in building fans from the Indian community.

The Lions missed on indigenous player marketing too.

Wally has said he wouldn't do that but the top soccer clubs do. Granted the player MUST be able to play. Man U seems to replaced their South Korean with a Japanese player as this still appeals here in east Asia!