Meeting with Jeff Tedford

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Number of penalties on special teams - Buono said there is a proposal to eliminate the 5 yard penalty on punts that bounce off the field thus trapping players on the covering team.
I never quite understand the concern on that one. It's only a 5 yard penalty which frequently gets declined if the return exceeds 5 yards. I was quite OK having that instead of having it treated the same as no yards when the returner catches the ball.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One fan was upset with those penalties that she would like to see a fair catch rule. This suggestion was met with groans and No's from the rest of the fans.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Number of penalties on special teams - Buono said there is a proposal to eliminate the 5 yard penalty on punts that bounce off the field thus trapping players on the covering team.
I never quite understand the concern on that one. It's only a 5 yard penalty which frequently gets declined if the return exceeds 5 yards. I was quite OK having that instead of having it treated the same as no yards when the returner catches the ball.
This thread is the first I'm hearing of it, but I think the motivation behind this proposed change, whether or not one agrees with it, is to speed up the game. Under the status quo as you've described it, the flag gets tossed, the officials (usually) confer after the whistle, they get the decision to decline from the receiving team, and then finally they have to announce "no yards, declined". If the penalty gets declined so much, why not just save that waste of time by scrapping that part of the rule altogether so that the flag doesn't gets tossed in the first place. Then the opposing O & D can take the field right after the return without delay and play can get whistled back in again promptly.

It would also discourage the boring situation of returners who delay in picking up a rolling ball in hopes of drawing a NY flag. Scrap it, and there's no flag to draw, so no more incentive to delay. I think they can still retain the NY flag in the event that an offside cover player makes first contact with the ball, whether on the hop or not.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

This event is the sort of thing that drives me up the wall, and is a purrfect example of how tone-deaf the Lions are when it comes to marketing their brand. Let's take a quick look at what they did here:

They just offered a really nice perk, ie, an intimate Q&A with our star players and Lions' management. Awesome. Who did they give it to? People who are waffling on renewing. Not people they've lost. Not the general public. Not those who renewed on day one. To be clear: good on the team for reaching out to those fans, but man oh man, do you think they could be more ham-fisted about it? It's like when people call in to the radio station complaining about how expensive tickets are and Skulsky responds with marketing data of average household income and the success of Operation Orange promotion. Deaf....as a post.

I take it the talks to "select fans" were in Surrey and come Wednesday at the stadium. Good show. They should have a half dozen of these events in the coming month for anyone who wants to go. Space is limited, so you have to sign up, thus providing the team with your name and details. Hey, what an idea! You just got the names of several hundred people who are most likely to buy tickets. Have you got a friend who likes football? Why not bring him along too? See, we're the CFL and we're accessible in a way other sports aren't. It's part of our charm. Now, how's about a flex pack?

Hey, here's another idea: let's have the event in a space we can light adequately and film the event we're going to the trouble to put on anyway. Then you know, edit it and make it look slick. Then drop it on the web. Hey Lions fans, guess what? Here's an hour devoted to answering some of your on-field concerns. Do you have more questions? Why not come to one of our events? Here's how you sign up. Etc.

I find it frustrating that things that are so so obvious escape the Lions. A few years back I was at a game and the guy in front of me had two kids; he asked what my tickets cost (and I confessed I moved over a section). He then told me he'd used some sort of kid's voucher, but the overall cost was still very high in both mine and his estimation. Finally he added, disdainfully, "and can you believe it? Then they add a service charge on top!" Bringing the kids to a game on a cut price voucher should have been an absolute PR coup for the team, but as they so often do, they managed to screw up by not paying attention to details.

Ah well, it's the CFL right?

Anyone else catch that slick announcement of the new commissioner? That press conference looked like it was thrown together in less than thirty seconds. :bang:

Cheers,

James
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The event was filmed.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The 5 yard rule gets flaunted by some teams as they simply want to stop a huge run back.

The one idea for 9 pt TDs was at first appealing - but then I started doing the math and it might end up putting the game psychologically out of reach too soon if one team can just get FGs and is down 3 TDs to to 3 FGs at the half where I like the idea that a team can regroup at the half and come back and win.

It is coaching these days but watching a bit of rugby where they do the kicking tactically to get advantage I sure wish we'd see some of that again. Like the Dunigan coached Stamps team who got jobbed but successfully passed and punted vs the Lions and recovered the punt in the end zone. Coaches these days are so risk averse.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:The 5 yard rule gets flaunted by some teams as they simply want to stop a huge run back.
Not the Lions though, they constantly try and get out of the 5 yard zone only to be stung with a 15+ return on a play they should have taken the 5 yard penalty.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

This event is the sort of thing that drives me up the wall, and is a purrfect example of how tone-deaf the Lions are when it comes to marketing their brand. Let's take a quick look at what they did here:

They just offered a really nice perk, ie, an intimate Q&A with our star players and Lions' management. Awesome. Who did they give it to? People who are waffling on renewing. Not people they've lost. Not the general public. Not those who renewed on day one. To be clear: good on the team for reaching out to those fans, but man oh man, do you think they could be more ham-fisted about it? It's like when people call in to the radio station complaining about how expensive tickets are and Skulsky responds with marketing data of average household income and the success of Operation Orange promotion. Deaf....as a post.

I take it the talks to "select fans" were in Surrey and come Wednesday at the stadium. Good show. They should have a half dozen of these events in the coming month for anyone who wants to go. Space is limited, so you have to sign up, thus providing the team with your name and details. Hey, what an idea! You just got the names of several hundred people who are most likely to buy tickets. Have you got a friend who likes football? Why not bring him along too? See, we're the CFL and we're accessible in a way other sports aren't. It's part of our charm. Now, how's about a flex pack?

Hey, here's another idea: let's have the event in a space we can light adequately and film the event we're going to the trouble to put on anyway. Then you know, edit it and make it look slick. Then drop it on the web. Hey Lions fans, guess what? Here's an hour devoted to answering some of your on-field concerns. Do you have more questions? Why not come to one of our events? Here's how you sign up. Etc.

I find it frustrating that things that are so so obvious escape the Lions. A few years back I was at a game and the guy in front of me had two kids; he asked what my tickets cost (and I confessed I moved over a section). He then told me he'd used some sort of kid's voucher, but the overall cost was still very high in both mine and his estimation. Finally he added, disdainfully, "and can you believe it? Then they add a service charge on top!" Bringing the kids to a game on a cut price voucher should have been an absolute PR coup for the team, but as they so often do, they managed to screw up by not paying attention to details.

Anyone else catch that slick announcement of the new commissioner? That press conference looked like it was thrown together in less than thirty seconds. :bang:

Cheers,

James
I don't get the complaint. This is exactly the same thing the Canucks did this past offseason...
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Cheers,

James
I don't get the complaint. This is exactly the same thing the Canucks did this past offseason...
He seems to be saying as David already has, that the Lions have snubbed some of their most loyal fans, those who have long since re-upped, in offering this perk instead to this other group of people who may or may not have any use for Lions tickets. I do recall a similar Canucks event last year, but I think it was very early in the off-season — before incumbent STHs had even been given much time to make a renewal decision. This event was held about three months after Tedford's arrival. It almost comes off like they just assumed the renewals would start flooding in right after his hiring announcement, and then when this didn't happen, they went into damage control mode by arranging these events. Perhaps it would have carried a more pro-active aura to have had them sometime in January. Granted there would have been less team news to share at that time (e.g., not sure offhand without looking things up if the full coaching staff was even finalised by then) but it might have better projected their willingness to listen to the customer, which is as much the point of these events as anything else, anyway.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:The 5 yard rule gets flaunted by some teams as they simply want to stop a huge run back.
Not the Lions though, they constantly try and get out of the 5 yard zone only to be stung with a 15+ return on a play they should have taken the 5 yard penalty.
Another good reason to ditch the rule. Then there's no flag to worry about; just get in there and make the tackle.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:I do recall a similar Canucks event last year, but I think it was very early in the off-season — before incumbent STHs had even been given much time to make a renewal decision. This event was held about three months after Tedford's arrival.
I'd have to check with my buddy but from what I've heard from him the Canucks are very good at holding out their palms for ST renewal money and playoff ticket money as early as possible. The deadline for STers to commit to and pay for playoff tickets may already have passed. He was grumbling about that 2 weeks ago. I can't remember if they have to pay up front series by series or for a full playoff run.

Interesting thing the new ownership of the Prince George Cougars are doing for season ticket holder regarding their playoff tickets. Traditionally when the ST holder confirmed they would be purchasing their playoff tickets they had to pay up front for all possible playoff games in a series and and were offered a refund or credit on next year's STs for games that didn't happen. Instead of that once the ST holder confirms they want to buy their playoff tickets the Cougars will bill them only after the games have been played. I'm not sure if they're doing it on a game by game basis or just waiting until the series is over. I'm guessing it's done by credit card so is quite managable within Ticketmaster.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Not that I'm a Canuck apologist or anything, and I don't know about this year or years before last season, but last year when Linden came on board, deposits for 2014/15 season tickets, whenever they were due, were refundable until July 11. This gave fans the opportunity to see how the team performed in the draft and in the first 10 days or so of the free agency signing period before giving them the opportunity to back out if they so wished.

Below is Linden's first communication with STHs when he was hired in April 2014, right around the end of the regular season.

I wonder if the Lions would consider the type of online Q&A mentioned here? They'd have to work out those production kinks that plagued the video of the Tedford hiring presser.
This is my first official opportunity to write to you. I want to say how delighted I am to be back with the Canucks and how excited I am about the future.

As an important member of our Canucks family, I know you have a deep personal interest in everything that is going on and our plans for the coming season. As one of my first connections with you, I’d like to invite you to a special Q&A session on Canucks.com this Friday, April 11 at 12 noon. This video webcast will give me an opportunity to answer your questions about the team, and discuss our vision moving forward.

I understand that you have renewed your 2014.15 Canucks membership. Thank you for your tremendous support and loyalty, as it enables us to compete each and every year.

It is my goal to ice a Canucks team you can be proud of, but actions speak louder than words. Your 2014.15 ticket membership deposit will be fully refundable until July 11, which is after the NHL Entry Draft and the start of free agency so that you can be confident in what we are doing to build a winning team.

I can’t wait to get started and I am eager to hear from you about all your questions and concerns. You can submit your questions directly to me using the button below.

Webcast Details:
What: Season Ticket Members Live Q&A with Trevor Linden
When: Friday, April 11 at 12 noon
Where: Canucks.com

Thank you again for your passionate support. I look forward to our conversation on Friday.

Sincerely,
Trevor Linden
President of Hockey Operations
Vancouver Canucks
I understand the Canucks also had another one of these STH meetings in mid-season just this past January, as per this article and video within:

http://www.gocanucksgo.com/2015/01/09/v ... ket-holde/
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think ST folks should never be left out. It's like special offers to new clients while charging existing long term customers higher prices.

BUT the kind of event they had I guess was where it cost the Lions money so they didn't want to spend money where they already had a sale. Not quite sure if this is exactly fair but SP has a valid point.

ST benefits should include an annual meet and greet with coaches and players and GM - but costs and logistics are a factor. Maybe internet solutions - webinair...
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy