Shomari Williams signs with Stampeders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/shomari-to-th ... erall-pick
Shomari to Stamps; Calgary inks former first overall pick

Posted: March 10, 2015 05:00 PM

Updated: March 10, 2015 05:32 PM

CFL.ca Staff

REGINA -- Just over a week after being released by Saskatchewan, Shomari Williams has inked a contract with the Calgary Stampeders.

The former first overall draft pick in 2010 was released by the Riders on March 2nd effectively becoming a free agent.

Williams joined the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as a free agent in 2013 but was sent back to Saskatchewan in a trade for draft picks along with punter Josh Bartel.

Williams, a veteran of five seasons with Saskatchewan (2010-12 and 2014) and Hamilton (2013), has played both defensive end and linebacker during his CFL career in addition to being a special-teams standout.

Shomari Williams released by Riders

Shomari Williams' second stint in Saskatchewan has come to an end. The former first overall draft pick in 2010 was released by the Riders today with LB Marvin Burdette.

Bio: Shomari Williams
More Calgary Stampeders Headlines

The Toronto native played all 18 regular-season contests for Saskatchewan in 2014 and established a personal best with 17 special-teams tackles, which was the second-highest total on the team.

“Shomari has been a very good special-teams player during his career and his versatility on defence will also be a valuable asset for us,” said Hufnagel.

Williams was selected first overall by the Roughriders in the 2010 draft and played three seasons before signing with the Tiger-Cats in 2013. He was traded back to Saskatchewan in 2014. In 78 career games, he had 89 tackles, including three tackles for loss, 50 special-teams tackles, five sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, one interception and one pass knockdown.

“I’m happy to be joining a winning organization and look forward to trying to help the Stampeders to win another Grey Cup,” said Williams.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“Shomari has been a very good special-teams player during his career and his versatility on defence will also be a valuable asset for us,” said Hufnagel.
“I’m happy to be joining a winning organization and look forward to trying to help the Stampeders to win another Grey Cup,” said Williams.
former first overall draft pick in 2010
Very athletic. Versatile.

The strong get stronger.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
former first overall draft pick in 2010
Very athletic. Versatile.

The strong get stronger.
That second quote is what stings the most to me. It seems as if it is going to be difficult to change that with the off season acquisitions that the Stamps are adding to that very good roster.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
That second quote is what stings the most to me. It seems as if it is going to be difficult to change that with the off season acquisitions that the Stamps are adding to that very good roster.
Meh. That's cyclical. Players want to be with winners, until they want to make more money. Then they're more than happy to leave. I don't sweat quotes like that. What goes around comes around.