2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:Only 19,826 fans on hand for the crucial game against Winnipeg. And this on the heels of an impressive performance by the Lions a week before in front of a season-high crowd.
But we're making a profit.

Cheers

Dennis Skulsky
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:Do you have a choice of jersey colours? All orange (home) or is there an away jersey (white??) ???
You can choose any non-customized jersey in stock (orange, gun metal or white) and you can request any size. I got exactly what I asked for at the first in-stadium kiosk I tried.
aklawitter
All Star

Ravi wrote:Only 19,826 fans on hand for the crucial game against Winnipeg. And this on the heels of an impressive performance by the Lions a week before in front of a season-high crowd.
And what was going on in the building across the street?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Can't sugar coat that one Ravi. An awful crowd. Sure the Canucks were playing next door but to not even break 20,000 at this time of the year and coming off their best game of the season is troubling. Can't imagine what Bob Ackles would have been thinking if he walked into the stadium last night.

What I noticed last night is the pocket of empty seats on the perimeter of the high-end $80 coach's sideline sections (between the 20s). These used to be basically full on both sides of the field.
I should know as I sit in section 212 (25 yard line) which used to be lower priced Gold seats until the move back to BC Place in 2011 and the price category was eliminated entirely (another one of Skulsky's greedy and dumb moves). Probably should have re-located closer to midfield this season but stayed because we really get along well with the guys behind us. But in my row, only five of the 18 seats are occupied with season ticket holders. Last night 10 seats in the row were empty.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the league needs to take a long and hard look how to improve the experience of attending games. Football just seems to be made for TV and it's catered to more in the CFL than ever before. Way too much down time in the stadium. Don't know what the hell was going on last night but twice there were TV timeouts then followed immediately by video challenges. The one challenge by the Lions on the 3rd down gamble, combined with the TV timeout, seemed to take 7 or 8 minutes until play resumed. There was also a TV timeout inside the final 3 minutes last night. I don't recall that happening before.
And show the damn challenge replays to the fans in the stands so we get to see it at the same time as the people sitting at home watching it for free.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Can't sugar coat that one Ravi. An awful crowd. Sure the Canucks were playing next door but to not even break 20,000 at this time of the year and coming off their best game of the season is troubling. Can't imagine what Bob Ackles would have been thinking if he walked into the stadium last night.

What I noticed last night is the pocket of empty seats on the perimeter of the high-end $80 coach's sideline sections (between the 20s). These used to be basically full on both sides of the field.
I should know as I sit in section 212 (25 yard line) which used to be lower priced Gold seats until the move back to BC Place in 2011 and the price category was eliminated entirely (another one of Skulsky's greedy and dumb moves). Probably should have re-located closer to midfield this season but stayed because we really get along well with the guys behind us. But in my row, only five of the 18 seats are occupied with season ticket holders. Last night 10 seats in the row were empty.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the league needs to take a long and hard look how to improve the experience of attending games. Football just seems to be made for TV and it's catered to more in the CFL than ever before. Way too much down time in the stadium. Don't know what the hell was going on last night but twice there were TV timeouts then followed immediately by video challenges. The one challenge by the Lions on the 3rd down gamble seemed to take 7 or 8 minutes until play resumed. There was also a TV timeout inside the final 3 minutes last night. I don't recall that happening before.
And show the damn challenge replays to the fans in the stands so we get to see it at the same time as the people sitting at home watching it for free.

The underlined part is a real pet peeve of mine. Video replay is far far better watching at home on TV. If they can't get it together with their in house video, then show the TSN feed to the fans in the stadium. High quality TV production (or relatively high quality) is what the Lions are competing against when trying to fill a stadium.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:And show the damn challenge replays to the fans in the stands so we get to see it at the same time as the people sitting at home watching it for free.

The underlined part is a real pet peeve of mine. Video replay is far far better watching at home on TV. If they can't get it together with their in house video, then show the TSN feed to the fans in the stadium. High quality TV production (or relatively high quality) is what the Lions are competing against when trying to fill a stadium.
That would require a rule change. Video board operators are not permitted to show replays on the video board in the stadium while a review is in progress. And the house feed is not reviewed by the command centre. Generally, all they can access is the TSN feed.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Dusty wrote:Do you have a choice of jersey colours? All orange (home) or is there an away jersey (white??) ???
You can choose any non-customized jersey in stock (orange, gun metal or white) and you can request any size. I got exactly what I asked for at the first in-stadium kiosk I tried.
Thanks for the info...... the STH renewal pendulum keeps swinging back and forth for me..... I guess I have to make a decision by the next home game to get the jersey promo...
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
DanoT wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:And show the damn challenge replays to the fans in the stands so we get to see it at the same time as the people sitting at home watching it for free.

That would require a rule change. Video board operators are not permitted to show replays on the video board in the stadium while a review is in progress. And the house feed is not reviewed by the command centre. Generally, all they can access is the TSN feed.
Then such a rule change needs to occur. Now that the review decision is no longer with the on-field officials, there is no reason not to show the video replay under review in the Stadium. Presumably the reason for the existing rule was to not rile up the home crowd while the Referee was looking or discussing it with command centre and perhaps influence the decision on the field. Technology has made that rationale moot..... Time to update the rulebook....
Rocko604
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:

As discussed earlier in this thread, the league needs to take a long and hard look how to improve the experience of attending games. Football just seems to be made for TV and it's catered to more in the CFL than ever before. Way too much down time in the stadium. Don't know what the hell was going on last night but twice there were TV timeouts then followed immediately by video challenges. The one challenge by the Lions on the 3rd down gamble, combined with the TV timeout, seemed to take 7 or 8 minutes until play resumed. There was also a TV timeout inside the final 3 minutes last night. I don't recall that happening before.
Ackles would have fired Chuck McMann immediately after the game, but that's for another thread.

Someone on facebook complained about the Canucks and Lions playing at the same time, stating the Lions are in a tough enough market to be going up against the Canucks, let alone this season when we're bad. I looked into it a bit more, and in past years, BC seems to be the only CFL team that will go head to head with the city's NHL team at the same time at home. No other team does that. Why are we so special?
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:

$90 sideline tix were previously all but sold-out to SSH except for singles, but looks like you are seeing some seats show up on ticketmaster around 25-yd line consistently.
There were pockets for empty seats everywhere on saturday with a lot no-shows, i chalk it up to Thanksgiving weekend more than the Canucks
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:$90 sideline tix were previously all but sold-out to SSH except for singles, but looks like you are seeing some seats show up on ticketmaster around 25-yd line consistently.
There were pockets for empty seats everywhere on saturday with a lot no-shows, i chalk it up to Thanksgiving weekend more than the Canucks
Yes, I sold two of my tickets and the buyer didn't show. The two seats to the other side of me were also empty. The ticket holder had told me he was going to be away. Our area is all held by season ticket holders but only a few of the regular fans were there.
LakeLions
Rookie

More than ever, the Lions need to realize the value of a cheap ticket to lure people into the building. Get families in, get the people in who are looking for something different to do on a Friday/Saturday/whatever night.

$80 is far too much for the average non-interested person to shell out for a Lions game. Way too much.

Besides the obvious that it's also turning off all but the most passionate and loyal fans.
Qman
Champion

LakeLions wrote:More than ever, the Lions need to realize the value of a cheap ticket to lure people into the building. Get families in, get the people in who are looking for something different to do on a Friday/Saturday/whatever night.

$80 is far too much for the average non-interested person to shell out for a Lions game. Way too much.

Besides the obvious that it's also turning off all but the most passionate and loyal fans.

All $90 seats are basically sold out except for couple hundred or so around the 25.

The lions have trouble selling the cheap seats ($35 in the endzone). Apparently next year they will have a new upper endzone for $25. My view is people would rather watch on TV than sit in the endzone.
David
Team Captain

But the problem is, Skulsky stubbornly clings to the belief that tickets are fairly priced. They're not (but at least glad to see that a casual fan can get into the building a little more cheaply next year).

Worse, he thinks the best Marketing is winning (his exact words). While winning will help, the Lions' brand is about as sexy right now as a Salvation Army thrift store and they've got their work cut out to attract the kinds people going to Canucks and Whitecaps games. While football is always identified strongly with the blue collar fan, a stroll through the concourse any given halftime (especially this past week) clearly demonstrates to me that the urban dweller demographic has largely dried up.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Dusty wrote: Then such a rule change needs to occur. Now that the review decision is no longer with the on-field officials, there is no reason not to show the video replay under review in the Stadium. Presumably the reason for the existing rule was to not rile up the home crowd while the Referee was looking or discussing it with command centre and perhaps influence the decision on the field. Technology has made that rationale moot..... Time to update the rulebook....
And shockingly it's a BC Place/Lions rule not a league one. Brian from BC Lions Den was at the game in Calgary last month and says they always show the replay in the stadium before a decision has been made on the challenge. Don't know about other CFL stadiums but absolutely ridiculous, especially when you have one of the best video screens in the world.