2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

LakeLions wrote:The UDub marching band isn't going to bring new fans to the game. No chance.
They're a helluva marching band and well worth the extra effort to see even if you're a fence sitter. Nothing like it in this country.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions4ever wrote:
LakeLions wrote:The UDub marching band isn't going to bring new fans to the game. No chance.
They're a helluva marching band and well worth the extra effort to see even if you're a fence sitter. Nothing like it in this country.
Half time shows generally are not intended to attract new fans, but might be popular enough to keep fans returning if they thought they got some extra value from the half time show.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Half time shows generally are not intended to attract new fans, but might be popular enough to keep fans returning if they thought they got some extra value from the half time show.
Yes, it's all about atmosphere and making games into events. When my kids were small 25 years ago the Lions had clowns and other children's entertainers on the sidelines. My daughter loved it. She didn't know anything about football but she loved going to games. She's a season ticketholder today.
David
Team Captain

Skulsky said their surveys indicated that half-time shows weren't important.....that fans want to get up and socialize.

That said, I don't think people said they want 4 people talking as the only thing going on at half-time. It IS a football game after all, and a lot of casual fans expect something.

One idea I had was a half-time flag football game. Could be the Canucks or Canuck Rookies vs Vancouver Canadians or local media/celebrities. I think it would be fun to watch.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Skulsky said their surveys indicated that half-time shows weren't important.....that fans want to get up and socialize.

That said, I don't think people said they want 4 people talking as the only thing going on at half-time. It IS a football game after all, and a lot of casual fans expect something.

One idea I had was a half-time flag football game. Could be the Canucks or Canuck Rookies vs Vancouver Canadians or local media/celebrities. I think it would be fun to watch.

For years the Vancouver police played the firefighters at halftime once a year. It wasn't good football but I'll watch any football. The annual minor football night is a great opportunity for kids to see a game and play on the field. Mascot soccer is another event that is easy to put together and entertaining, at least for some fans.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:Skulsky said their surveys indicated that half-time shows weren't important.....that fans want to get up and socialize.

For years the Vancouver police played the firefighters at halftime once a year. It wasn't good football but I'll watch any football. The annual minor football night is a great opportunity for kids to see a game and play on the field. Mascot soccer is another event that is easy to put together and entertaining, at least for some fans.

Celeb events are the half too are good but what is wrong with inviting local music groups who are not the big names out to perform at the half.

I left mostly in late Sept 07 and miss the games live but I recall that there was music outside the stadium and the contest - throw, kicking etc.

Why not invite local music groups to perform and feature them over a band from another country?

Harpoonist and Axe Murderer - Sean Hall and my pal Matt Rogers would be super there to name one. Do a deal with clubs like the Railway Club who bring in good music to get them to organize it for a plug or two at the games. These things don't have to cost money as many would do this for exposure.

Minor football games at the half are great too and generate interest in the CFL if you could later have them meet players post game. I know it's late but do something to make it interesting for them to come.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
aklawitter
All Star

If I wanted to watch a "panel" at half-time, I would just stay home and watch a proper panel on TV.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:If I wanted to watch a "panel" at half-time, I would just stay home and watch a proper panel on TV.
Is having Christy Buono host of the panel a bit of a conflict ? Is she capable of asking tough questions about the Lions ? Her dad was a member of the panel at the last game.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
aklawitter wrote:If I wanted to watch a "panel" at half-time, I would just stay home and watch a proper panel on TV.
Is having Christy Buono host of the panel a bit of a conflict ? Is she capable of asking tough questions about the Lions ? Her dad was a member of the panel at the last game.
I don't think the Lions are setting up a press conference here and wanting or expecting tough questions. I would assume this is a homer panel made up of former players who are now knowledgeable fans not investigative journalists.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
I don't think the Lions are setting up a press conference here and wanting or expecting tough questions. I would assume this is a homer panel made up of former players who are now knowledgeable fans not investigative journalists.
Agreed, it's an entirely in-house production; asking whether there's COI only makes sense to the extent that there's at least some ostensible autonomy to it in the first place. There isn't any, as this is simply just one aspect out of the entire gameday presentation that the Lions fully control.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions are offering some ticket and merch discounts to UBC alumni:

http://www.alumni.ubc.ca/2014/benefits- ... /bc-lions/

I wonder if they have anything similar for alumni of SFU or any other post-secondary institutions in the area (e.g., Langara etc). I believe someone else once mentioned similar promotions for Coast Capital Savings clients as part of their jersey cresting agreement with the team.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Qman
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:

Celeb events are the half too are good but what is wrong with inviting local music groups who are not the big names out to perform at the half.

I left mostly in late Sept 07 and miss the games live but I recall that there was music outside the stadium and the contest - throw, kicking etc.

Why not invite local music groups to perform and feature them over a band from another country?

Harpoonist and Axe Murderer - Sean Hall and my pal Matt Rogers would be super there to name one. Do a deal with clubs like the Railway Club who bring in good music to get them to organize it for a plug or two at the games. These things don't have to cost money as many would do this for exposure.

Minor football games at the half are great too and generate interest in the CFL if you could later have them meet players post game. I know it's late but do something to make it interesting for them to come.
Only thing i would sit in my seat for was:
- mascot soccer
- superdogs
- kids football (sometimes)
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Lions are offering some ticket and merch discounts to UBC alumni:

I wonder if they have anything similar for alumni of SFU or any other post-secondary institutions in the area (e.g., Langara etc). I believe someone else once mentioned similar promotions for Coast Capital Savings clients as part of their jersey cresting agreement with the team.

Tell me something why are they doing this know should this not be advertised and started at the beginning of the season . :thdn:
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Pretty obvious those schools don't rate. Justifiably so.

UBC Alum '83
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:

Tell me something why are they doing this know should this not be advertised and started at the beginning of the season . :thdn:
Better late than never.