2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As I have stated in the past, the Lions are the biggest secret in town. The marketing (or lack of) is atrocious. I agree with Jim Mullin about the price point of tickets. Skulsky's idea of selling the Lions is to maximize the prices for season ticket holders.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think there is no longer a marketing need.

Fans got what they wanted. Nice intimate lower bowl that gives the BC Lions cost certainty and lowers their cost structure.

Now the objective will be to improve the per seat revenue generated to move closer to a Canucks price.

The team will fill the lower bowl as long as they play well.

The team struggles as does the CFL in the summer games but they budget for that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Are David Braley and Dennis Skulsky running this franchise into the ground?

Jim Mullin seems to think so CLICK TO LISTEN HERE fast forward to the 10:00 mark, and builds a very strong case,
A must listen and an absolutely scathing indictment of the incompetence of the "marketing" side of this organization. Shameful.
dupsdell1
Champion

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:Are David Braley and Dennis Skulsky running this franchise into the ground?

Jim Mullin seems to think so CLICK TO LISTEN HERE fast forward to the 10:00 mark, and builds a very strong case,
A must listen and an absolutely scathing indictment of the incompetence of the "marketing" side of this organization. Shameful.

I did listen too and Mullin always says like it is , in fact I have friends of mine that want nothing to do with the lions at all and they are big cfl fans , they hate going to bc place ( empty stadium ) no atmosphere , game day experience is a joke, Wish the lions would have stayed at empire field, ( or a stadium like that ) everyone in the stands are 40 and older, etc .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:

I did listen too and Mullin always says like it is , in fact I have friends of mine that want nothing to do with the lions at all and they are big cfl fans , they hate going to bc place ( empty stadium ) no atmosphere , game day experience is a joke, Wish the lions would have stayed at empire field, ( or a stadium like that ) everyone in the stands are 40 and older, etc .
Memo to fans they could have sent out but didn't:

'We've given you what you asked for - lower bowl, tarped off upper deck, intimate atmosphere.

You won't need to look up and see a mostly upper empty bowl.

Now we're going to maximize ticket revenue per seat as the Canucks tickets are way more expensive and our surveys show our average fan's income is 90K +.

Be careful what you wished for.
David
Team Captain

Lions have parted ways with in-stadium MC Chris Palliser (the on-field announcer).

They're taking applications for a new in-stadium host (I assume one would have to pass an audition process).

http://bclions.com/page/careers-in-stadium-host

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Lions have parted ways with in-stadium MC Chris Palliser (the on-field announcer).

They're taking applications for a new in-stadium host (I assume one would have to pass an audition process).

Pardon me for asking but is this not a little late in the pre-season to be cutting ties and sourcing a new host? Unless the guy they had bailed on them how on earth can someone really add value other than just a voice at this late stage.

Sure the resume is fine but maybe if you did it differently a new talent would emerge.

Could the Lions not have had some sort of competition? Get each to do videos? Have fans vote even. You know like the HNIC song competition. These things get more fan interest, involvement and commitment - especially if they want to see the person they voted for - or didn't in live action.

Is this open to women or another WM?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
David wrote:Lions have parted ways with in-stadium MC Chris Palliser (the on-field announcer).

Pardon me for asking but is this not a little late in the pre-season to be cutting ties and sourcing a new host? Unless the guy they had bailed on them how on earth can someone really add value other than just a voice at this late stage.

Sure the resume is fine but maybe if you did it differently a new talent would emerge.

Could the Lions not have had some sort of competition? Get each to do videos? Have fans vote even. You know like the HNIC song competition. These things get more fan interest, involvement and commitment - especially if they want to see the person they voted for - or didn't in live action.

Is this open to women or another WM?
Palliser tweeted on May 27 that "The BC Lions will not be having me back this year. I want to thank them & the CFL for 4 AMAZING seasons of football & 2 Grey Cups!" From that it sounds like he was pushed out. When the Lions tweeted this morning that the job was open he RT'ed it and asked, perhaps cheekily, "Should I apply? ;)" (wink emoticon his).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Palliser was a vast improvement over his predecessor (forgot his name)
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Palliser was a vast improvement over his predecessor (forgot his name)

I think Tedford is having a big impact on the lions on and off the field. this guy was a joke saying MAKE SOME NOISE they do not need a cheerleader they need a announcer.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

dupsdell1 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Palliser was a vast improvement over his predecessor (forgot his name)

I think Tedford is having a big impact on the lions on and off the field. this guy was a joke saying MAKE SOME NOISE they do not need a cheerleader they need a announcer.

Technically it is his boss, but hoping Tedford tells the club president he doesn't need him down on the sidelines for home or away games.
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Pardon me for asking but is this not a little late in the pre-season to be cutting ties and sourcing a new host? Unless the guy they had bailed on them how on earth can someone really add value other than just a voice at this late stage.
My reaction was exactly the same, Toppy Vann! I'm thinking to myself, "okay, it's June 8, preseason starts now....let's start auditioning a new in-stadium host, a person whose voice and presence is going to help shape the in-game impression of thousands of fans and season ticket holders. Except, let's not headhunt this pivotal role....we'll just put out a Tweet and link to our website for all comers to give it their best shot."

Just another baffling way this club goes about its business.

I rec'd an email today regarding the Thunderbird preseason game. In it, they claim a great season ticket holder response and they're expecting the biggest crowd in Thunderbird history blah, blah but, oh by the way, you may purchase up 8 ADDITIONAL tickets before they go on sale to the public!!! Huh??

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote: I rec'd an email today regarding the Thunderbird preseason game. In it, they claim a great season ticket holder response and they're expecting the biggest crowd in Thunderbird history blah, blah but, oh by the way, you may purchase up 8 ADDITIONAL tickets before they go on sale to the public!!! Huh??

And you have the option to stand field side.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

From LU's column today, kind of sums up our sports media's apparent lack of interest in the local CFL franchise:
— And such as it is, that’s the extent of anything newsworthy at present, and the near complete absence of anyone with a video camera or notepad in Kamloops is perhaps behind the club’s intention to hold a news conference Thursday in Vancouver to hype their June 19 pre-season game at UBC.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions are holding a Season Ticket Holder Huddle at the Orpheum on June 28th at 3:00 PM. The entire roster will be introduced, plus Question and Answers to the players.