2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Honour Dewalt wrote:Not only was it near impossible finding a Lions jersey over Christmas, look at their online store. Nothing. Merchandise and clothing styles are weak and stale as well. All falls on the Pres if you ask me. Skulsky is eroding this team. What has he done at all to warrant keeping him?
The lack of jersey inventory very likely has to do with the phase out of Reebok for the 2016 season. Not sure many fans would be happy to spend $200 on a customized jersey and find out the league has switched to Adidas a few months later. This played a large part in why the Lions did the jersey giveaway as part of their 2016 season ticket campaign. It will be interesting to see what changes Adidas will make but you know there will be a big enough difference to prompt the paying customer to update his wardrobe.

That said, what is going on at the league level is concerning and baffling. Go to the official CFL website and the shop link only has merchandise featuring the league's new marketing campaign as well as some team toques that were just released for $40. http://shopwwmo.cfl.ca

Yet the old store is still up and running featuring tons of fan gear for all teams including Reebok jerseys at 1/2 price http://www.cflshop.ca/ :dizzy:
I was looking at that "old" CFL store a few days ago when it was mentioned elsewhere the CFHOF was selling off everything preparing for their move to Tim Horton's Field. Their online store links directly the cflshop.ca. The CFHOF may act on behalf of the CFL in processing CFLSHOP orders. While there looks to be lots of selection on the jerseys if you start filtering by size availability shrinks drastically. There's 63 options to start but if you filter to size large it you are down to 24. None of the Lion jerseys are available in XL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Not too impressed with the new merchandise not to mention overpriced.
Spud387
Champion

Honour Dewalt wrote:Yeah, I was going to add that I figured it was due to a possible new uniform. But checking other teams, they still have some available. Perhaps the Lions keep stock so tight they have nothing available. There could at least be something letting us know. I also noticed the league store only had the new logo stuff as well. Maybe this all came up in short notice and now they are trying to catch up with new merchandising with the new branding.
I'm also quite interested to see what the Lions do with a new uniform. If there are any significant changes.
However, I still think some info on their ship saying "Coming soon" or anything to indicate why the jersey section is empty would look a little more professional.
The low stock is because everything is trying to be sold off and they wouldn't be making new stuff for a while at this point. Why do you think they gave away a free jersey if you renewed season ticket?

I am interested for the new release of stuff as that means new jerseys, shirts, sweaters, jackets etc.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The poor performance of the Canucks this season provides a good opportunity for the Lions to capture renewed fan interest. Reginald Bibby of the University of Lethbridge, who has tracked Canadians' interest in sports for nearly two decades, published his latest findings this month, showing interest in the NHL declined across the country this year, with fan disenchantment most notable in Montreal and Vancouver. The CFL remains strongly in second place in B.C., with 30% of British Columbians following the league "very closely" or "fairly closely," compared to 41% for the NHL, 23% for the NFL, 18% for MLB, 14% for MLS and 12% for the NBA. That's not the narrative one hears from certain people in sports radio. With the Lions having a better schedule this year an exciting young quarterback and a respected coach (like him or not, Wally is one of the best known sports icons in B.C.), I see the potential for a successful season on and off the field.

PROJECT CANADA 2016 SPORTS SURVEY
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

For those who have access to The Province online or can pick up a copy there's a very interesting article today entitled "Vancouver's millennials discretionary income-challenged: report". While being fairly broadbased it still highlights one of the biggest challenges the Lions and other Vancouver pro sports teams face that all the marketing and promotion efforts in the world can't fix. It's the simple fact that for many of the millennials in the market capture area once they've paid the basic necessities required to live in Vancouver, there is no money left for things like going to sporting events. What is most troubling about this is that millennials represent that demographic the Lions desperately need to capture.

The article did list discretionary income for average millennial couple who purchased property at an average cost in 2016 with 7 of the current CFL markets being included. Hamilton and Regina weren't although Regina is probably similar to Winnipeg.
Edmonton: $47,356
Calgary: $41,933
Ottawa: $34,502
Montreal: $26,915
Winnipeg: $25,930
Toronto: $3,379
Vancouver: negative-$2,745

http://www.theprovince.com/business/aff ... story.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I am locking this down as I have started a new Marketing & Promotions thread for 2016:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28557

41 pages. Wow, really excellent contributions from everyone!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar