Dave Dickenson 'surpised' by off-season exodus

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Looks like the Leos aren't the only ones rebuilding. Yes the Stamps have lost some key components this off-season, but they have so much talent and depth they can likely overcome this 'exodus' relatively easily.
Dave Dickenson likely knew it was coming, but that didn’t make it any easier to watch.

Due to the exodus of talent on the offensive side of the football this off-season, the Calgary Stampeders offensive co-ordinator/assistant head coach knows he has some mixing and matching to do when training camp opens in less than three months.

“I was surprised we lost as many guys as we did, yet we know there’s going to be change,” Dickenson said.

“You know that salaries, when you win championships, most guys believe that they’re going to get a raise.

“I was a little disappointed at certain things, but I also feel like that’s part of the business.”

Along the offensive line, Dickenson lost Stanley Bryant, his all-star left tackle, to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in free agency, and centre Brett Jones, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Lineman, signed with the NFL’s New York Giants.

The receiving corps also took a hit with deep-threat Maurice Price traded to the Ottawa RedBlacks, joined by 25-year-old Canadian receiver Brad Sinopoli in free agency, while veteran slotback Nik Lewis, who Dickenson called a key cog in the running game, left as a free-agent for the Montreal Alouettes.

“We are now into a bit of a phase, at least up front (along the offensive line), where we know we’re going to have to rebuild,” Dickenson said. “Losing Stanley and Brett, it’s impossible to necessarily just say we’re going to be the same group up front.”​

scott.mitchell@sunmedia.ca
- CALGARY SUN, 3/5/15

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've long wondered whether Calgary's success on the offensive line and in the running game is due to a superior scheme or superior personnel. Bryant and Jones cashed in on their all-star accolades but the Stamps have had success in the past when playing with two rookies on the offensive line.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I've long wondered whether Calgary's success on the offensive line and in the running game is due to a superior scheme or superior personnel. Bryant and Jones cashed in on their all-star accolades but the Stamps have had success in the past when playing with two rookies on the offensive line.
My opinion ... Expectations, standards, coaching and systems make it work for a team like Calgary. Guys play to their top level, possibly even better than they would look playing for another team. The good environment also makes it easier to rebuild on the fly. (So it is scheme and personnel, and beyond.)

Their Xs and Os are top notch. Their personnel work is top notch. And their coaching is top notch. Makes for an excellent environment for success.

Personnel? Also top notch due to outstanding judgment in the draft and in recruiting south of the border.

Calgary's success leads to guys moving on. This is a bit of a reprieve for all the other teams chasing Calgary.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

All good points, West Coast Joe. This kind of begs the question, "who is the CFLs flagship or model franchise?"

Some might say the Roughriders due to their incredible marketing machine and rabid fan base. Even the Eskimos, although they really took an on-field hit in 2013 from which they're just recovering. However, looking at it holistically top-to-bottom, you could certainly make a case for the Stampeders. Amazing player personnel development, top-notch coaching, CDN drafting, and a first-class playing environment (can you believe the following from Scott Mitchell from the Calgary Sun? "....However, according to sources, (Bo Levi) Mitchell won’t be among the top-five paid quarterbacks in three-down football, taking a Tom Brady-esque hometown discount to help his bosses build a winner." Or Josh Bell signing his extension this week: "....this extension is a two-way thing. I wanted to be in Calgary and Calgary wanted me to be there.” ).

For a time, I thought it was trending toward BC in the Ackles days: great crowds, superior talent, quarterbacking factory, the Waterboys, refurbished stadium on the way. But things have slipped mightily here. Very good but not great talent and depth, middling results drafting, quarterbacking question marks, the cheeseball "guaranteed win night" that reeked of desperation, the somewhat awkward "Geroy Simon Night," Wally's callous treatment of veterans (i.e. Dante Marsh)......

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:All good points, West Coast Joe. This kind of begs the question, "who is the CFLs flagship or model franchise?"

Some might say the Roughriders due to their incredible marketing machine and rabid fan base. Even the Eskimos, although they really took an on-field hit in 2013 from which they're just recovering. However, looking at it holistically top-to-bottom, you could certainly make a case for the Stampeders. Amazing player personnel development, top-notch coaching, CDN drafting, and a first-class playing environment (can you believe the following from Scott Mitchell from the Calgary Sun? "....However, according to sources, (Bo Levi) Mitchell won’t be among the top-five paid quarterbacks in three-down football, taking a Tom Brady-esque hometown discount to help his bosses build a winner." Or Josh Bell signing his extension this week: "....this extension is a two-way thing. I wanted to be in Calgary and Calgary wanted me to be there.” ).

For a time, I thought it was trending toward BC in the Ackles days: great crowds, superior talent, quarterbacking factory, the Waterboys, refurbished stadium on the way. But things have slipped mightily here. Very good but not great talent and depth, middling drafting results, quarterbacking question marks, the cheeseball "guaranteed win night" that reeked of desperation, the somewhat awkward "Geroy Simon Night," Wally's callous treatment of veterans (i.e. Dante Marsh)......

BC had their run, it was fun while Ackles was in charge, an era that was unprecedented in Lion history. RIP BA. Since then the Lions are in the mix of top tiered teams, but trail in two fundamental aspects that the Riders and Stamps have flourished in, fan loyalty and of course the Stamps depth in coaching, recruiting and on-field success.

One major problem has been the Lions desire to keep the ties that Wally has established during his CFL career in the coaching ranks. As loyal as Wally is to the ex-teammates, ex-coaches, it had to run its course. At least Tedford (still tied to Wally), didn't stand under Wally to establish his career, like so many others that have been with the Lions. Wally's conservative nature for play calling had to lead to Benevides rise in the ranks, as he was as conservative without the experience to draw from, or some may suggest the horseshoes that seemed to follow Wally (just look at the succession of QB's). In Tedford the Lions have a proven QB developer, something that should elevate the Lions success.

On to the next Lion era of success, I says. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:All good points, West Coast Joe. This kind of begs the question, "who is the CFLs flagship or model franchise?"

For a time, I thought it was trending toward BC in the Ackles days: great crowds, superior talent, quarterbacking factory, the Waterboys, refurbished stadium on the way. But things have slipped mightily here. Very good but not great talent and depth, middling drafting results, quarterbacking question marks, the cheeseball "guaranteed win night" that reeked of desperation, the somewhat awkward "Geroy Simon Night," Wally's callous treatment of veterans (i.e. Dante Marsh)......

Points well made, David.

The Riders have the fan base, and they deserve a good team. IMO Solid organization in most respects in terms of personnel work and coaching.

The Stampeders under Hufnagel are the "flagship of the league." In all respects, as noted above. #1 -- developing quarterbacks. And even getting maximum mileage out of a guy like Kevin Glenn.

Yes, we have slipped badly in the absence of Bobby Ackles. A terrible blow to our organization. God bless him, and God rest him. :thup:
Rammer wrote:BC had their run, it was fun while Ackles was in charge, an era that was unprecedented in Lion history. RIP BA. Since then the Lions are in the mix of top tiered teams, but trail in two fundamental aspects that the Riders and Stamps have flourished in, fan loyalty and of course the Stamps depth in coaching, recruiting and on-field success.

One major problem has been the Lions desire to keep the ties that Wally has established during his CFL career in the coaching ranks. As loyal as Wally is to the ex-teammates, ex-coaches, it had to run its course. At least Tedford (still tied to Wally), didn't stand under Wally to establish his career, like so many others that have been with the Lions. Wally's conservative nature for play calling had to lead to Benevides rise in the ranks, as he was as conservative without the experience to draw from, or some may suggest the horseshoes that seemed to follow Wally (just look at the succession of QB's). In Tedford the Lions have a proven QB developer, something that should elevate the Lions success.

On to the next Lion era of success, I says. :beer:
We miss Bobby Ackles so much. I am very happy to have had the chance to chat with him a bit over the years. :thup:

Wally's loyalty has two edges to it. It builds stability, and that can help success. But it can also build complacency and obsolescence. We have seen both.

As noted a few times, IMO Wally is first and foremost a survivor, with all the requisite skills and values. We have seen him adapt, when he absolutely has to. The unfortunate thing for our team under Wally is that the league has evolved, upward. It is on the football map, something that it seems to me was not always the case. Top notch coaches. Xs and Os masters. Loads and loads of talent to draft and recruit. More power to the top personnel guys. More power to the coaches.

So we have tried to adapt by bringing in Jeff Tedford. I would say we were extremely lucky in our timing, and in his career path and health, in that he was available to us. Great good fortune. And one of Wally's strengths is his ability to build his network.

So we are in the ballgame. But we are looking up. At Calgary. At Edmonton. At Regina. At Hamilton. Maybe even at Toronto, with their horrendous challenges. Montreal has rebounded nicely, under Popp and Higgins.

Things can change fast in the CFL. Witness Edmonton with Chris Jones. We will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

I'd disagree with you slightly on the fan bases Rammer. The Stampeders averaged 1,500 fans a game more than BC (although ours might be somewhat inflated due to GWN), despite having the stellar organization, 1st place record, and the built-in advantage of the annual Labour Day game vs Edmonton. That's not a massive difference. They also have fewer Twitter followers than BC (72.5K vs 61.4K) and Facebook 'likes' (152.8K vs 85K). Then there is BC's impressive TV ratings.

Not sure if these are the best KPIs, but somewhat of an indication of fan loyalty.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard Bob Lenarduzzi on Team 1040 that season tickets are trending upwards from last season, while the Lions are down 35%.
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Heard Bob Lenarduzzi on Team 1040 that season tickets are trending upwards from last season, while the Lions are down 35%.
I think it was "renewals" which were at 65% to 70% rate with season ticket sales off 10% to 15%. "Trending upwards" in marketing speak means seasons ticket sales are about the same or slightly higher...but they hope sell more.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Money is at the heart of this as usual in the CFL as when you're not making NFL money some will move.

What surprised me though is Nik Lewis leaving. For me he's like the Charles Roberts and even Geroy type - franchises should keep these guys even a year extra or if they decide to cut him pay him and assign new duties. Maybe Lewis knew something or it is about the money but that guy is a fan favourite and team leader both by his play and his words. He is one of the reasons that Kevin Glenn fit like a glove in the Stamps line up as Lewis was saying abt KG what the coaches were saying. Very consistent messages and that is what you need from your core vs the Lions when the core is out to coup a coach like a Steff Kruck experienced.

I think the Calgary offense is not structured in blocking schemes for the benefits of crazy mad scientist type coach like Dorazio whose lost sight of the objectives. In all of football watching the ONLY time I have heard that teaching the RUN game is too hard is with the Lions. Never, ever have I heard that lame excuse. These guys are freaking pros and by this time they should be used to learning blocking. BUT I will concede that the Lions under Dorazio got too complex and their offense too predictable and players became uncoachable when they complained.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Heard Bob Lenarduzzi on Team 1040 that season tickets are trending upwards from last season, while the Lions are down 35%.
It's going to be pretty embarrassing for the Lions as a franchise with about 70 years of history if they are still languishing with this new/old lower bowl-only configuration (as currently under discussion in another nascent thread) by the time the Caps have begun (as is their eventual aim) to open up sections upstairs.

I guess this means the end of the Gemstone party deck. Wasn't there another season left on that deal between them and the Lions?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Let's not put all of the slippage from "flagship" franchise status on Wally. This club has a business office that has tone deafness too. I'd argue the bigger problem is there, actually.
squishy35
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
It's going to be pretty embarrassing for the Lions as a franchise with about 70 years of history if they are still languishing with this new/old lower bowl-only configuration (as currently under discussion in another nascent thread) by the time the Caps have begun (as is their eventual aim) to open up sections upstairs.

I guess this means the end of the Gemstone party deck. Wasn't there another season left on that deal between them and the Lions?

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/bc/downloads/ ... 012127.pdf

Here's the seating Chart fo the 2015 season.
David
Team Captain

It would certainly appear - from the above seating chart at least - that some upper bowl seating on the East Side (Pacific Blvd facing the TSN cameras) will be open from Sections 436 to 446 (maybe the first 5-10 rows?). Whether that's only for certain games or not, I am not certain.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Not sure guys, I think that 2015 seating chart was prior to their decision to close the upper deck. The link to 2015 season tickets on their home page takes you to this seating chart.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/bclion ... ils/15FS10