Lions D Line for 2015 - Lions add 3 DL, May 21, 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
ballhawk wrote:One thing that bothers me is that people (press and others) ignore Steven Doege when talking about the DL. I've seen this time after time. It's like he doesn't exist on the roster.
I am cheering for Doege. I love that we are able to sign territorial exemptions, and all things being equal I would prefer a position to go a kid from BC. But this is his 4th training camp and he hasn't (yet) been able to crack the starting roster. I've always thought that he has a great motor but a little on the light side for a DE, hoping he would bulk up a bit. Maybe this is his year, but there's going to be even more competition this year with all of the 5 tech draft picks.

DH :cool:
I agree. If you can't make the team after 3 trys, chances are you won't.
ballhawk
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:
ballhawk wrote:One thing that bothers me is that people (press and others) ignore Steven Doege when talking about the DL. I've seen this time after time. It's like he doesn't exist on the roster.
I am cheering for Doege. I love that we are able to sign territorial exemptions, and all things being equal I would prefer a position to go a kid from BC. But this is his 4th training camp and he hasn't (yet) been able to crack the starting roster. I've always thought that he has a great motor but a little on the light side for a DE, hoping he would bulk up a bit. Maybe this is his year, but there's going to be even more competition this year with all of the 5 tech draft picks.

DH :cool:
I agree. If you can't make the team after 3 trys, chances are you won't.

But Doege did make the team!! He's been on the active roster for games during the last two seasons. Three years ago he was practicing with the team as a BCFC terrirorial exemption. When not on the active roster he has been on the practice roster and for the last two years has been a counter. So let me clarify, Doege has been on the team for the last two seasons as a counter but not a starter. He is only 24 years old. Let's not put the guy down unfairly.

David is so correct, this is going to be a very competitive year for the Canadians at DL. Doege did beat out 6th draft pick Dylan Roper last year. So he is very competitive. As an aside, after leaving SFU and being cut by the Lions, Roper joined the Langley Rams of the BCFC and obtained CJFL All-Star status and BCFC Defensive Player of the Year. Although no longer eligible for Junior play (he is over 22), I believe he still has 1 or 2 years left of CIS eligibility based on the 5 and 7 rule. Maybe we'll see Roper again.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ad ... nsive-line
Lions add three to defensive lineThursday, May 21st, 2015

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions announced today announced three international defensive linemen including Tim Jackson, Jamarkus McFarland and Andre Monroe have agreed to terms on contracts with the team.

Jackson joins the Lions after an effective four-year stay at North Carolina where the Florida native appeared in 45 games recording 33 defensive tackles and a sack. An undrafted free agent signing of the Carolina Panthers, he attended training camp with the club last year before being waived.

McFarland attended Oklahoma where he too enjoyed a productive collegiate career tallying 47 games for the Sooners and notching 38 tackles and six sacks. Jamarkus was an undrafted free agent signing of the San Diego Chargers last year.

Monroe will make his Lions debut later this month after having his negotiation rights obtained by the club in a recent trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The Washington, D.C. native was a standout at Maryland logging 35 appearances over four years with the Terps piling-up 70 tackles, 32 of which were for a loss to go along with 22 sacks. He recently had mini-camp invites from the Baltimore Ravens and San Diego Chargers before signing with the Leos.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jackson 6'4" 290

McFarland 6'2" 305

Monroe 5'11" 285 ... TiCats trade

Three signings announced. And there is some beef for the D Line.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Monroe could be the key piece of the recent trade of Haidara to Hamilton. A couple of years ago, a trade with Toronto for a neg list player, Cord Parks, worked out well for the Lions, as he became an immediate starter. Hopefully Monroe can also step in and be an effective contributor from the outset.

At Maryland's pro day this year, Monroe put up an impressive time for a big man of 4.88-seconds in the 40-year dash. He shares Maryland's all-time record for sacks with 24 and had over 30 tackles for a loss in his college career. Those are attention-getting stats rarely seen for a DT.

Here's one scouting commentary on him prior to his senior season:
If players were drafted based on production, Monroe would be an early round pick, coming off a junior season when he led the team with 17.0 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks. He has a tweener body type and skill-set, but plays with a nonstop motor and finds ways to be effective, drawing some comparisons to former Rutgers DT Eric Foster who went undrafted in 2008, but played meaningful snaps with the Colts for a few seasons. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
Here's are excerpts from a recent Baltimore Sun article prior to the NFL draft:
Despite all of his accomplishments and a strong Pro Day workout during which he bench pressed 225 pounds 29 times, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.88 seconds, had a 29 ½ inch vertical leap, a 9-5 broad jump, a 4.41 20-yard shuttle and a 7.66 three-cone drill, Monroe is aware his height is an obstacle for him to overcome with NFL scouts.
An unconventionally-built defensive lineman at 5 feet 10 and 294 pounds, Monroe leaves Maryland sharing the Terps’ all-time record with Mike Corvino with 24 sacks. Monroe also had 39 career tackles for losses. Monroe had 20 sacks and 31 1/2 tackles for losses in his past 26 games.
Stocky Maryland lineman Andre Monroe hopes NFL teams focus more on production than his height
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Great that the Lions have signed 3 guys to compete for the DT spot that was created by the release of Taylor, but how do the Lions know in advance that one of these guys will emerge as a better player than Taylor?
Rammer
Team Captain

I would like to say that the Lions are thinking outside the box here, but as a DT they are thinking inside the box so to speak. Monroe has some incredible measures, he will be one to watch, and yes hopefully moves into the Cord Parks of neg list players the Lions have picked up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Great that the Lions have signed 3 guys to compete for the DT spot that was created by the release of Taylor, but how do the Lions know in advance that one of these guys will emerge as a better player than Taylor?
Wally must have weighed Taylor's contract vs his age...not sure that was a wise thing to do with releasing Mitchell as well. We will see, but to take it to another level, Taylor was the guy that every teammate could count on to give it 100% on the field, a leader where the Lions needed it most. How do you replace that value, the Riders give Simon heaps of credit for his leadership during their GC season, and he didn't contribute anywhere near what Taylor has offered on the field.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Great that the Lions have signed 3 guys to compete for the DT spot that was created by the release of Taylor, but how do the Lions know in advance that one of these guys will emerge as a better player than Taylor?
Wally has always preferred to make decisions on aging veterans in the offseason and give them a chance to seek other opportunities rather than bring them to camp and then dump them on cutdown day. It's a sign of respect for the veterans who have contributed to the team, and I respect him for that. I'm sure salaries play a part in the decisions, as is a desire to get younger and not hang onto vets whose production is slipping. Eric Taylor and Dante Marsh are two vets affected by that policy this year. Khalif Mitchell and J.R. LaRose were let go in free agency.

A healthy roster turnover rate is about 25% a year, or 10 or 15 players. Teams that don't reload every year run the risk of having to rebuild in the following years.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: Wally has always preferred to make decisions on aging veterans in the offseason and give them a chance to seek other opportunities rather than bring them to camp and then dump them on cutdown day. It's a sign of respect for the veterans who have contributed to the team, and I respect him for that.
I agree with that policy/approach. Comes a time when Wally weighs all the factors and decides to move on from a veteran. I would consider it shabby treatment to bring an aging vet back to camp with little chance to make the team. For selfish reasons, bringing them back one more time might make sense for depth and stability, but releasing them early lets them test the market. And that market is usually/often found wanting. One of Wally's strengths has been having a good reading of a player's best before date.

And of course the team needs a plan of succession. These three DL come with serious credentials.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Monroe, another John Stucky and Skip Diaz ?