Lions Cut Taylor, Logan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Didn't take Taylor long to land on his feet; Hufnagel's scooped him up:

http://cfl.ca/article/veteran-defensive ... stampeders
Veteran defensive tackle Taylor joins Stampeders
Posted: March 06, 2015 12:00 PM
Updated: March 06, 2015 12:06 PM

CFL.ca Staff

CALGARY -- It hasn't taken Eric Taylor long to find a new home. Less than a week after being released by the BC Lions, the veteran DT has agreed to terms with the Calgary Stampeders.

"Eric has been very good defensive tackle in this league over the years and I know he's looking to show that he still has more to give," said Stampeders general manager and head coach John Hufnagel in a statement. "I look forward to seeing him compete at training camp."

Taylor is a seven-year Canadian Football League veteran who spent the past four seasons with the BC Lions and has 90 regular-season games, eight playoff contests as well as the 2011 Grey Cup on his resume. The six-foot-two, 309-lb. defensive tackle was part of a Lions unit that finished first in run defence in 2012 and second in 2011 and 2013. During two of those seasons - 2012 and 2013 - Rich Stubler, now Calgary's defensive coordinator, was on the BC coaching staff.

The Winchester, Tenn., native entered the CFL as a member of the Edmonton Eskimos in 2008 and also played for the Toronto Argonauts in 2010.

In 90 career games, Taylor has 169 tackles, including 12 tackles for loss, 19 sacks, three forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 20 pass knockdowns. He has 16 tackles and two sacks in eight career playoff games.

Prior to coming to the CFL, Taylor spent time with the National Football League's Pittsburgh Steelers, who drafted him in the seventh round in 2004, Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans. He played one game for the Vikings in 2005. He played college football at Memphis was second-team all-Conference USA during his senior season.

"I'm grateful for the new start," said Taylor. "I'm joining a very good team and a very good defence and I'm looking forward to getting on that road to try and reach the Grey Cup."
OMG. The strong get stronger. He has some football left in him for sure.

I believe Eric Taylor was with Rich Stubler in Toronto.

Best wishes to Eric Taylor. :thup:
"I look forward to seeing him compete at training camp."
I wonder why Hufnagel sees the need for a vet to compete for a job in TC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"I look forward to seeing him compete at training camp."
I wonder why Hufnagel sees the need for a vet to compete for a job in TC.[/quote]

To me this is the Hufnagel message. We want you but you have to win a job here - no one is given the role without competition for it.

To me there is something about the Stamps culture that can take in vets or rookies and make their system work with both - two rookie O-linemen or RB even or vets like Glenn at QB.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Well that didn't take long for Taylor to find a new home. Is anyone going to take a flyer on Dante Marsh ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Logan has signed with Montreal. Jim Popp is stocking up on other teams' veteran castoffs.

Heading East: Als sign versatile back, Logan
David
Team Captain

Also, ex-NFL running back Bradley Randle (Vikings) whom we had on our PR late last year but recently released, has been scooped up by the Bombers.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Logan has signed with Montreal. Jim Popp is stocking up on other teams' veteran castoffs.

I am glad he is in the East, I would hate to see him more often with more on the line and the potential of him being the difference maker in those games. Good luck, I still think that it was one or two seasons too early for the Lions to part ways with him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
BC 1988
Legend

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Logan has signed with Montreal. Jim Popp is stocking up on other teams' veteran castoffs.

I am glad he is in the East, I would hate to see him more often with more on the line and the potential of him being the difference maker in those games. Good luck, I still think that it was one or two seasons too early for the Lions to part ways with him.
Agreed. Of course, salary was a factor in cutting Logan.

The new coaching staff seem most interested in totally rebuilding their offence. I can't see Lulay being a big part of their plans; (and I don't think he should be).
dat
Rookie

I wasn't surprised to see Logan released but I was regarding Eric Taylor. Although I guess he was getting a little older he was one of the few D- Linemen that had a consistent good season. Stopping the run and getting a pass rush he was often double teamed. Hope they have a few guys who can step in . While Bazzie, Smith and Westerman had some good games and had flashes at times the D Line was often shut down. Bighill and Solly were what saved the D last year. It all starts with a pass rush and if they don't get one this year they will have to rely on a record number of tackles from the linebackers again. However I am always optimistic as every year is different and new players come along. I do believe our new coaching staff will have a positive impact. Can't wait for training camp !

DAT
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The one thing that is different in Calgary is that Hufnagel doesn't seem to find himself having to toss older players in the manner that Wally does.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy