Geroy Simon to return to the Lions!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

David
Team Captain

Finally! After a few years in green, Geroy is returning to his more familiar orange. After some....ummm....let's call it "tension" between the two sides, saner heads have prevailed. The Leos are set to announce that Geroy is joining the club in administrative position (vacated by Kelly Bates): he will do some scouting/personnel duties as well as community relations work.

I think he will have a keen eye for talent, as well as be an invaluable "face" of the club in the community. :thup:

STORY HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

I am still recovering from the wounds inflicted by him as a Rider.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Like it or not, it's been a tough couple of years for the franchise on and off the field without him. Just having his name associated with the Lions again will boost the club's image. Welcome back #81!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Geroy has gotta be a Lion.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I am still recovering from the wounds inflicted by him as a Rider.
My sentiments as well.
green road kill
Rookie

WELOME BACK WELCOME BACK.

Seeing GE ROY in green, was so, so, unclean
Spud387
Champion

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure I entirely agree with him "not dissing the Lions". There was enough there to upset some people. I'm not going to say this shouldn't have happened but for me, the circumstances of his departure still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I hope he can help the team. That is really the only thing at the end of the day that matters.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I'm not sure I entirely agree with him "not dissing the Lions". There was enough there to upset some people. I'm not going to say this shouldn't have happened but for me, the circumstances of his departure still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I hope he can help the team. That is really the only thing at the end of the day that matters.
I suppose you're right. And holding a grudge is unhealthy, even if I have it down to an art form.

But hey, he got his ring, even if he was about as productive as Wally warned him he would be. I hope it was worth it.
David
Team Captain

I would anticipate that he's going to have a fairly sizable role in the CIS draft going forward?

I know some hard core Lions fans felt a bit miffed by Geroy. The "finally playing in a city where football matters" types of comments, not making himself available to the media after "Geroy Simon Night," and taking perhaps too much delight with reporters after beating the Lions in the 2013 West Semi may have rubbed some fans the wrong way (myself included). Others maybe felt a bit betrayed by him not stepping back here right after his playing days with the Riders were over, but I view this as a positive move. I believe he can add a lot of value, both in the personnel end of things and to the Lions' brand. His name is synonymous with the Lions and his currency his high with casual fans. I can certainly put all the other stuff behind me.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I know, supposed to forgive and forget kind of thing but that generally isn't the way I'm wired. I can forgive but the latter, nope. His legend here will never shine as bright for me after that little drama. I will give Kudos to the Riders (did I really say that) for giving him a job for a year after they had done with him as a player. They didn't have to do it and in some ways showed greater loyalty to a player that had been with them for only a short time and performed only marginally than this team has showed to a lot of players who have reached their best before date. Players I might add who had given many more years of service to the Lions than Geroy gave to the Riders. There may be a lesson in that for Wally. There have been too many dedicated veterans who have been shown the door in ways that left them feeling bitter and disrespected on this team.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnHenry
Champion

:rockin: Welcome back, Geroy!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Welcome back Geroy.

I fully support the way Geroy handled the end of his playing career. By going to the Riders he got an extra $40k to $80k per year for 2 years I would guess. (plus playoff and GC $ and 2 TDs in the GC. Nice)

Geroy is a pro, not a fan and as such once he was a Rider, as a pro I would expect him to be all in for his new team and he was.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Welcome back Geroy.

I fully support the way Geroy handled the end of his playing career. By going to the Riders he got an extra $40k to $80k per year for 2 years I would guess. (plus playoff and GC $ and 2 TDs in the GC. Nice)

Geroy is a pro, not a fan and as such once he was a Rider, as a pro I would expect him to be all in for his new team and he was.
Interesting discussion you bring up, without Geroy would the Riders have beaten the Lions in the semi-final? If the Lions had Geroy they may have well been the GC champions for that season, as the only game that was in doubt in that GC run was the WDSF between the Riders and Lions. However he would have been short some coin, but he would have also likely been more involved with the Lions as he was a non factor for the regular season with the Riders.
Entertainment value = an all time low