Ernest Jackson Gone...#*+%!#

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-f ... dash-ever/
In an effort to centralize all the reported 40 yard dash times. I will start what we call the SUB 4.3 Club. I will attempt to keep a running record of the sub 4.3 forty yard dashes and their owners in this list. I will refrain from adding times of the ridiculous and will do some research on all times that qualify. I will say one thing, can you web surfers stop reporting that Deion Sanders ran a 4.57 forty yard dash backwards. That’s just flat out ridiculous.
That is too funny.

I was not a great fan of Sanders, Prime Time. But I did admire how he could play.

I was somewhat surprised to see how easily he closed on Jerry Rice, when covering him.

And I didn't realize that Rice was not a real burner, although he certainly had game speed.

Rice 4.59 to 4.71 in the 40 ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/walsh/walsh3.htm

Bill Walsh on some of the measureables and other criteria ... Wonderlich, medical, interview.

As noted by some in various threads, measureables are not as important as the ability to actually play the game.

Re the interview process. Important, Yes. But some people can come across very well in an interview, but be wrong for the job, or not the best candidate.

When I was 21, I put my best foot forward in an interview, wanted the job, and got it. A few months later I realized it was a bad fit. I had no passion for it, nor love of it. I got out. They hired the wrong guy. Just one example ...

A pal of mine at that time tended to ace interviews. He got lots of offers, as a new graduate. But he was completely unreliable, just way too wild. Can passion for a career show in an interview? Can a wild nature show in an interview? I think it could be hidden. Can loyalty show in an interview? Not necessarily. Can honesty be determined?

Some of these things can be gleaned from a track record. Others might be harder to identify accurately.

And of course, intuition can be an asset.

Re a coaching candidate ... Thorough discussion of Xs and Os would reveal much. For a successful franchise, with all the candidates they get, it should not be difficult to choose very qualified people, even just based on coaching track record. Previous working relationships. And then or course the interview, as between Tedford and Washington, could seal the deal. Do you see things the same way? Does the chemistry feel right? On and on ...

For 21-year-old graduates entering the workforce ... much dicier.

Idle musings ... Many of these topics show up in numerous threads.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.gridironstuds.com/blog/the-f ... dash-ever/
The Fastest 40 Yard Dash Ever

What Research Found Out On This Very Important Topic
By: Chad Wilson @Gridironstuds

In my personal experiences, I have seen some sub 4.3 forty yard dashes in my time. Kevin Williams of the University of Miami (1989-92) ran a 4.28 forty yard dash before my own eyes. Former Hurricanes Tremain Mack (4.25) and Al Shipman (4.27) ran sub 4.3 forties before my own eyes. Track star Henry Neal recorded a 4.20 forty yard dash before my own eyes in a workout for the Miami Dolphins in 1996. The Dolphins did not sign Neal since his football background was quite limited. I never watched him run an actual 40 yard dash but after having to cover him in training camp, I am inclined to believe every second of Joey Galloway’s reported 4.18 forty yard dash.
The same Al Shipman who played here circa 1997? Recall him as mostly a kick returner.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm sad to see Ernest Jackson gone. I was a huge fan of the 'Big 3' of Moore, Taylor, and Jackson from their early rookie days and I liked Jackson the best due to his size and strength and toughness. I never saw the need to sign Arsenault and he is a costly receiver.

I never believed we used Jackson properly. He had great hands and would have been better at slot and we could have moved Taylor to wide slot and Gore outside, where he was better suited.

Jackson, when given the opportunity to play slot showed what he could do...a big target with great hands and the inside toughness you need from that spot.

But he's gone and we should be ago with promising prospects as well.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz nailed it. As did Cardiac Kid. Lots of us really liked Jackson, as shown in game threads.

We mismanaged Jackson.

We misjudged him.

We misused him on the football field.

We let him go.

D'oh ...

Was that on Wally, the GM, or someone else down the food chain in the organization?

Old news? Spilled milk? If you don't learn from history (or mistakes), they will be repeated. Yeah ...

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Mismanaged, misjudged, misused.

I thought you were writing about the current coaching staff's actions and assessments.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Mismanaged, misjudged, misused.

I thought you were writing about the current coaching staff's actions and assessments.
Some of the current staff.