Negotiation List Quarterbacks - Greg McGhee

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pdxlion
Rookie

We'll see how this turns out. He was the 76th ranked quarterback of his class according to NFLDraftscout. I know theres always diamonds in the rough though. The NFL could care less about a quarterbacks color the way.
Big Time
Champion

Clearly Tedford is not sold on Lulay's health or ability to perform. They are obviously looking for the next diamond in the rough. At 6'3 and being a lefty, McGhee certainly is an interesting prospect. I have never seen him play but I like both the passing and rushing numbers he's put up. I don't put much hope in a rookie coming out of college to be able to come in and make an immediate impact, but it sounds like there will be some really healthy competition at the pivot spot this year. I hope Lulay can come back 100% however I was very discouraged by how he got injured last year - not even by getting hit but by basically just trying to throw the ball. The Lions are wise to start looking for the next starter now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Big Time wrote:Clearly Tedford is not sold on Lulay's health or ability to perform. They are obviously looking for the next diamond in the rough. At 6'3 and being a lefty, McGhee certainly is an interesting prospect. I have never seen him play but I like both the passing and rushing numbers he's put up. I don't put much hope in a rookie coming out of college to be able to come in and make an immediate impact, but it sounds like there will be some really healthy competition at the pivot spot this year. I hope Lulay can come back 100% however I was very discouraged by how he got injured last year - not even by getting hit but by basically just trying to throw the ball. The Lions are wise to start looking for the next starter now.
Looking for the next diamond in the rough is a given and that has little to do with Lulay's situation. GMs are always doing that no matter how content they might be with the incumbent. The only thing different now would be that there is more urgency to the search and more of a need to get it right. We really need to come out of camp with someone who will realize, if not exceed his potential sooner rather than later. A 4 year project is not what we need.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Big Time wrote:Clearly Tedford is not sold on Lulay's health or ability to perform. They are obviously looking for the next diamond in the rough. At 6'3 and being a lefty, McGhee certainly is an interesting prospect. I have never seen him play but I like both the passing and rushing numbers he's put up. I don't put much hope in a rookie coming out of college to be able to come in and make an immediate impact, but it sounds like there will be some really healthy competition at the pivot spot this year. I hope Lulay can come back 100% however I was very discouraged by how he got injured last year - not even by getting hit but by basically just trying to throw the ball. The Lions are wise to start looking for the next starter now.
Looking for the next diamond in the rough is a given and that has little to do with Lulay's situation. GMs are always doing that no matter how content they might be with the incumbent. The only thing different now would be that there is more urgency to the search and more of a need to get it right. We really need to come out of camp with someone who will realize, if not exceed his potential sooner rather than later. A 4 year project is not what we need.
Really a QB that is right of college isn't likely to get you to a GC win in year one, but a QB that can run and keep a D honest with his arm has a much better chance of doing so than any QB in the Lions fold currently that is trying to become the new starter. A QB that can Russell Wilson it with his legs is going to have to create space by using his arm keeping the D guessing. Once a D realizes a QB is one dimensional, their success drops faster the temperature on the prairies. This league's D's are outstanding now, and it is a rare rookie QB that can pass against a CFL D right out of the gate. Lions need a QB that is capable of grooming the young guns, so here is hoping that Lulay at minimum has that left in the tank.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Standard wisdom says a rookie QB is not ready. I personally don't think one should automatically take that position. Certainly OCs, and HCs, want a QB that fully understands their system. A rookie is unlikely to be in that situation.

But a physically gifted QB, one with leadership, one who finds a way to win, can shake up the conventional wisdom. Pared down playbook? Sure. Physical instincts? Sure. But IMO it is a waste to try to pour too much stuff into a young player's head. And it is not a science. More of an intuitive judgment in terms of how much is too much.

If a team can find a QB that can beat you with the legs, with the arm, with broken plays, with leadership, the sky is the limit. IMO these qualities, in such an individual, are more important than the playbook. It seems to me that was Casey Printers, back in the day, running, gunning, improvising, throwing back across the field. The D had no idea what was coming, nor any idea how to stop him.

Not saying Greg McGhee is that guy. Just keeping the mind open. Repeat: Not saying Greg McGhee is that guy. Just keeping the mind open.

Step 1. Get him signed.

Just IMO ... as the season approaches.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Standard wisdom says a rookie QB is not ready. I personally don't think one should automatically take that position. Certainly OCs, and HCs, want a QB that fully understands their system. A rookie is unlikely to be in that situation.

But a physically gifted QB, one with leadership, one who finds a way to win, can shake up the conventional wisdom. Pared down playbook? Sure. Physical instincts? Sure. But IMO it is a waste to try to pour too much stuff into a young player's head. And it is not a science. More of an intuitive judgment in terms of how much is too much.

If a team can find a QB that can beat you with the legs, with the arm, with broken plays, with leadership, the sky is the limit. IMO these qualities, in such an individual, are more important than the playbook. It seems to me that was Casey Printers, back in the day, running, gunning, improvising, throwing back across the field. The D had no idea what was coming, nor any idea how to stop him.

Not saying Greg McGhee is that guy. Just keeping the mind open. Repeat: Not saying Greg McGhee is that guy. Just keeping the mind open.

Step 1. Get him signed.

Step 1 is a done deal WCJ...

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ag ... reg-mcghee
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

Step 1. Get him signed.

Step 1 is a done deal WCJ...

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ag ... reg-mcghee
That is very cool, Rammer. Thanks for posting.
Lions agree to terms with QB Greg McGheeThursday, February 19th, 2015

BCLions.com Staff

The BC Lions Football Club announced this morning that quarterback Greg McGhee has agreed to a contract with the team.

McGhee comes to the Lions after a standout senior season at Howard University last year, topping the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference with 2,388 passing yards and 847 rushing yards and a healthy 55.6 completion percentage.

Dressing for 43 games over a four-year span for the Bison, McGhee completed 731 of 1,296 career pass attempts for 7,589 yards and 49 touchdowns. Athletic and well-suited for the wide-open CFL game, the Pittsburgh, PA native also added 2,579 career rushing yards on 535 carries with 26 majors.

“Having had an opportunity to meet Greg in person I am very impressed by his intelligence, athletic ability and eagerness to learn and compete,” said head coach Jeff Tedford. “He’s got some great credentials and I look forward to having him come up here and try to earn a spot on our club.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Really a QB that is right of college isn't likely to get you to a GC win in year one, but a QB that can run and keep a D honest with his arm has a much better chance of doing so than any QB in the Lions fold currently that is trying to become the new starter. A QB that can Russell Wilson it with his legs is going to have to create space by using his arm keeping the D guessing. Once a D realizes a QB is one dimensional, their success drops faster the temperature on the prairies. This league's D's are outstanding now, and it is a rare rookie QB that can pass against a CFL D right out of the gate. Lions need a QB that is capable of grooming the young guns, so here is hoping that Lulay at minimum has that left in the tank.
Agreed Phil. Wally and Tedford are committed to developing their next starter inhouse. I guess what I'm trying to say is the uncertainty re: Lulay's shoulder is such that they may have no choice but to rely on whomever that may be to contribute sooner than he may be ready for. That's why I think they have to break camp this year with someone who will prove out to be that guy and they may need to fast-track him. If he is pressed into service earlier than is ideal and the Lions have to take some lumps for it I'm OK with that. I'm not expecting a GC calibre QB in Year 1 but would hope the guy, be he Rodgers or McGhee for example, would be ready to take on some significant minutes in Year 2 and play competently just as Printers, Pierce and Lulay did early in their careers.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Agreed Phil. Wally and Tedford are committed to developing their next starter inhouse. I guess what I'm trying to say is the uncertainty re: Lulay's shoulder is such that they may have no choice but to rely on whomever that may be to contribute sooner than he may be ready for. That's why I think they have to break camp this year with someone who will prove out to be that guy and they may need to fast-track him. If he is pressed into service earlier than is ideal and the Lions have to take some lumps for it I'm OK with that. I'm not expecting a GC calibre QB in Year 1 but would hope the guy, be he Rodgers or McGhee for example, would be ready to take on some significant minutes in Year 2 and play competently just as Printers, Pierce and Lulay did early in their careers.
Teams are looking for that QB all the time, not many survive that test in the NFL (only Wilson and Luck come to mind and many others were top draft picks), and the CFL many teams have had to rely on their rookie pivots with few making the grade long term. Even many with service as NFL backups don't make the grade when the lights are on. I hope that the Lions have signed their next one, and like you I could live with a season of learning, it is just going to be hard with the D that the Lions have currently. I am almost of thought that the next QB just run a possession style QB in order to allow our D to win games. It does make for a good TC watch though, and I am of mind that Lulay isn't the long or short term solution given his shoulder history.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In many cases it takes a full season for a QB to fully digest and utilize the nuances of the CFL game. With that in mind I am looking for the emergence of Travis Partridge at TC, kind of like what happened with Mike Reilly, it is now or never. :cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:In many cases it takes a full season for a QB to fully digest and utilize the nuances of the CFL game.
Unless you're named Chuck Ealey
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:In many cases it takes a full season for a QB to fully digest and utilize the nuances of the CFL game.
Unless you're named Chuck Ealey
Or Ricky Ray, who jumped into the fray in his first season beating the Lions in his first game and never looked back.
David
Team Captain

Travis Lulay, John Beck, Travis Partridge, Jordan Rodgers, Greg McGhee....really curious to see who's going to be the odd man out as it's extremely doubtful that the club is going to carry 5 QBs on the 46-man roster, injured list, and practice roster.

Global TV did a feature on Travis this week that showed him on the practice field throwing (in shorts and a T-shirt....you gotta love this BC winter!). He is pleased with his progress but admitted it's baby steps at this point. The main thing is he's seeing progression. Looked like he was getting decent velocity on the ball too.

If something calamitous were to happen to Lulay at Spring Camp, the main camp in Kamloops, or the 2 preseason games, it would be hard to believe the club would not look to add a veteran pivot for the 2015 season. I could be wrong, but I just can't see them playing the 2015 season with a QB group that has like, 3 CFL starts among them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Travis Lulay, John Beck, Travis Partridge, Jordan Rodgers, Greg McGhee....really curious to see who's going to be the odd man out as it's extremely doubtful that the club is going to carry 5 QBs on the 46-man roster, injured list, and practice roster.

Global TV did a feature on Travis this week that showed him on the practice field throwing (in shorts and a T-shirt....you gotta love this BC winter!). He is pleased with his progress but admitted it's baby steps at this point. The main thing is he's seeing progression. Looked like he was getting decent velocity on the ball too.

If something calamitous were to happen to Lulay at Spring Camp, the main camp in Kamloops, or the 2 preseason games, it would be hard to believe the club would not look to add a veteran pivot for the 2015 season. I could be wrong, but I just can't see them playing the 2015 season with a QB group that has like, 3 CFL starts among them.

DH :cool:
That is a good question David. Personally I don't see anyway they carry 5 unless injury (legit or hangnail) dictates they stash one on the 6 game. If not 4 is the max they will keep; 3 on the 46 and 1 on the PR. I saw that clip on Global.

That he was throwing was positive but if I was to rate it I'd say he's at 60%. While it looked like he was doing more than the soft tossing I saw at TC last year he certainly wasn't stepping into any throws with any authority. Thankfully camp is still 3 months away.

As for the vet pivot idea if something goes sideways I think by default John Beck will have to be that guy. There just isn't anybody out there who would be an upgrade over Beck with all due respects to Dan Lefevour who is recovering from a major knee injury.
JohnHenry
Champion

Good luck to McGhee in his pro career! :rockin:
Last edited by JohnHenry on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.