2015 Schedule Released - Women's World Cup implications

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I've at least seen the Riders' portion of the schedule on their site and I see they're the ones who visit us twice this year. No doubt Skulsky is happy with this:

(1) Fri Jul 10. This is prob our home opener. 7pm kickoff.

(2) Sat Oct 3. 4pm kickoff. Might help entice fans from island and outlying areas who want to get home same night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Dusty
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Its there now....
Still not seeing it here. Initially I get what appears to be an image placeholder but then nothing appears.
BC Lions have sent an email to STH's with the new schedule. Still no word on the Home pre-season game.
Home Games:
July 10 (Friday)
July 24 (Friday)
August 6 (Thursday)
August 20 (Thursday)
September 13 (Sunday)
October 3 (Saturday)
October 10 (Saturday)
October 23 (Friday)
November 7 (Saturday)
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Here's a graphic of it:

Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I see our first bye is in Week 1 as we speculated but the second bye comes NOT during LDW but rather the one BEFORE, Week 10. We play in Mtl on the Thu immediately before LDW — I haven't seen the rest of the schedule yet but this likely means Ott will have the LDW bye — and then we play in all of the final ten weeks of the season, playing one game every week without a break.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good that there's a home game for the regular season finale against the defending Grey Cup champions as this may determine first place in the west (and not a playoff qualification).

MOD EDIT - merged your post with Women's World Cup implications thread as both were about the new schedule. Thanks. DH
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I had a similar graphic earlier in this thread, now I've added the Lions' schedule in black (road) and home (orange).

It seems in many cases (I count five of nine) the Lions are playing at home on the eve of a Whitecaps changeover day. Two Thursday home games. Not sure when was the last time that happened; both in August in this case.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Still not seeing it with either FFv35.0.1 or IE8. Which browser are you using?
David
Team Captain

The GOOD:
* 2 Rider home games
* 5 home games post Labour Day (4 pre)
* No "Guaranteed Win" night. At least not yet. :wink:

The BAD:
* 3 Saturday games. Only 1 on Saturday night. There were 4 Saturday games last year.
* Call me "neutral" on a bye to start the season. Yes, it gives the club an extra week of camp to install the new offence, but they're going to be dog-tired in the back half of the schedule, playing 8 consecutive weeks (not including playoffs) from 9/13 - 11/7 (there's 10 days rest between 9/3 and 9/13)
* We're about to find out how popular the NFL is here, when we go head-to-head with it on Sunday afternoon, September 13 @ 1:00pm. I really hope there's no Seahawk home game that day.

The UGLY:
Two Thursday night games in August, one of which is against Montreal? Can't see many people venturing into town for those contests.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I see from this tweet that the Argos' so-called "home opener" will be against Edm and played in... Fort McMurray, AB? That's basically an extra home game for the Eskimos.

Another lousy home schedule for the Argos with their de facto home opener coming not until August (Week 7!), then only one other summer game and their final five home games in a six week stretch, the last four in a row (and I bet they prob have a road game squeezed in between the Oct 6 & 17 dates). And watch out if the Blue Jays happen to make the post-season.

I'm also hearing (unconfirmed) that the Esks' bye weeks are poorly spaced, so they have to play 17 weeks in a row without interruption. Maybe that's the price of the extra home game.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:The GOOD:
* 2 Rider home games
* 5 home games post Labour Day (4 pre)
* No "Guaranteed Win" night. At least not yet. :wink:

The BAD:
* 3 Saturday games. Only 1 on Saturday night. There were 4 Saturday games last year.
* Call me "neutral" on a bye to start the season. Yes, it gives the club an extra week of camp to install the new offence, but they're going to be dog-tired in the back half of the schedule, playing 8 consecutive weeks (not including playoffs) from 9/13 - 11/7 (there's 10 days rest between 9/3 and 9/13)
* We're about to find out how popular the NFL is here, when we go head-to-head with it on Sunday afternoon, September 13 @ 1:00pm. I really hope there's no Seahawk home game that day.

The UGLY:
Two Thursday night games in August, one of which is against Montreal? Can't see many people venturing into town for those contests.

DH :cool:
Prob doesn't help help to have that Sun 1pm game against a weak draw like Ott. One other thing you could file under good is that the schedule does a good job (at least for us if not for other teams) of alternating home/away games — perhaps about as much as mathematically possible, under all the logistical constraints.

Every team could prob have a G/B/U breakdown with a good dose of ugly. I'm hearing that the Esks have poorly spaced byes; they play 17 weeks in a row. And the Argos' home schedule is another dog's breakfast. They're basically invisible in their own market for most of the first 11 weeks of the season (only two home games, the first in Week 7!).
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Here's what the Lions (or more precisely, Skulsky) had to say in an email that went out with the schedule. He's spinning the Thursdays as games to take in without having to disrupt out-of-town summer weekend getaway plans. I suppose, but people usually do that stuff on long weekends, rather than the weeks during which these games fall.
The wait is over and fans of the BC Lions can now circle some very important dates on their football calendar as the Canadian Football League released the 2015 regular season schedule this morning.

The Lions, under new head coach Jeff Tedford, will kick off their 2015 home schedule with a huge divisional rivalry game as the Saskatchewan Roughriders make their first of two visits out west on Friday, July 10th.

“We believe that this year’s schedule has a little something for everyone,” said Lions President and CEO Dennis Skulsky. “We’re going to experiment with some unique game nights during the summer and continue with our traditional Friday and Saturday dates after Labour Day.”

Following the game versus Saskatchewan the Lions host Ricky Ray and the Toronto Argonauts on Friday, July 24th and then play a pair of Thursday night games in August (6th, 20th) against Edmonton and Montreal.

“Thursday dates in August will provide our fans with the opportunity to enjoy great football games during the week while also allowing them to plan summer weekend activities that may take them out of town,” added Skulsky

The Lions start the second half of their schedule with a Sunday afternoon tilt versus the Ottawa REDBLACKS on September 13th at 1:00 pm. Following a pair of road games, the club will play four of their final six regular season games at home including another heated battle with Saskatchewan on Saturday, October 3rd at 4:00 pm.

“Two home games versus Saskatchewan certainly makes this year’s home schedule pretty special,” added Skulsky. “We’ve seen a significant rivalry building with the ‘Riders over the past few years and our fans really make it an electric atmosphere for those games.”

Two other October home dates include visits by Winnipeg and Hamilton on the 10th and 23rd and a regular season finale against the reigning Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders on Saturday, November 7th at 4:00 pm.

The Lions get things started with a preseason game on the road versus Calgary on June 12th, but will be out of their den at BC Place for their second exhibition tilt versus Edmonton to help make way for the FIFA Women’s World Cup.

“We are looking at a couple different solutions for that date and we’ll be communicating our plans when we have something more concrete in place,” said Skulsky.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
I see elsewhere online that others are having problems accessing or handling this image-based schedule file/webpage.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:http://cfl.ca/5kv3sia2xq
No need to waste time anymore with that crap alphabet soup URL; they finally put it in the right area where they should have just put it in the first place:

http://cfl.ca/schedule/year/2015/time_zone/0

I can confirm as I previously mentioned, the Esks play 17 weeks in a row. Their byes come in weeks 2 and 20. :shock:

We'll be facing them in Weeks 7 (home), 14 (away) and 17 (away).
Dusty
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
squishy35 wrote:http://cfl.ca/5kv3sia2xq
No need to waste time anymore with that crap alphabet soup URL; they finally put it in the right area where they should have just put it in the first place:

http://cfl.ca/schedule/year/2015/time_zone/0

I can confirm as I previously mentioned, the Esks play 17 weeks in a row. Their byes come in weeks 2 and 20. :shock:

We'll be facing them in Weeks 7 (home), 14 (away) and 17 (away).
and on Week 21..... You heard it here first!!!
Dusty
squishy35
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
I see elsewhere online that others are having problems accessing or handling this image-based schedule file/webpage.

I'm using an outdated IE 8 ... :D