Lions sign Austin Collie

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How old though is that draft report?

A lot can happen to a guy's morale, motivation and skills - although he has been playing. He speaks very positively of the CFL. That is s good sign as if he really doesn't want to be here then it never seems to turn okay. The culture is different - everything from the size of the team (sheer numbers) and that is the first thing these guys see once cut downs are down as well as fewer staff and coaches.

Rob Murphy really nails the differences when he speaks of this including how shocked he was to see pre-game and half time hugs and greetings as players here tend to get to know each other versus the larger league where they might never know even one guy on the side opposite.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Aklawitter wrote:arceneaux, taylor, jackson, collie, haidara, tuinei, ianuzzi/gore/other

i'm ok with that
I assume by "other" you mean Steve Adekolu? Also, Whitman Tomasiuk is a very good prospect for us.

Keep in mind, Ernest Jackson still hasn't been signed. I am hoping they can come to an agreement. :cr:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ravi
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:From his 2009 draft year ...
3. Austin Collie (WR, Brigham Young): Contrary to popular belief, Vaughn Martin wasn't the first Canadian chosen in the 2009 NFL Draft. That honour belongs to Collie, the Indianapolis Colts fourth rounder, who was born in Hamilton, Ontario while his father Scott was catching passes for the Tiger-Cats. Unfortunately, Collie doesn't qualify as a
non-import under the CFL's current rules.
He was born in Hamilton a week or two before the memorable 1985 Grey Cup in which the Lions defeated Scott Collie's and Jeff Tedford's Ticats.
Last edited by Ravi on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm puzzled by this signing. Collie is probably smaller and slower than most of the holdover Lions' receivers. He is best known in the NFL as a slot receiver with great hands, which is how Courtney Taylor and Ernest Jackson are known on the Lions. Yet according to LU, Tedford sees Collie as a deep threat who can open space for Arceneaux and Taylor underneath.
Tedford, who followed Collie’s development as the player grew up in Sacramento, Calif., and during his college career at Brigham Young, understands the knock on the receiver, but prefers to think the Lions have found a threat who might make more of a weapon out of Emmanuel Arceneaux and Courtney Taylor.

“You need a vertical push to threaten people in order to be successful underneath, and he can do that,” Tedford said. “I understand what he brings.”
That suggests Collie would take a starting spot at WR from Gore or Poblah, who are similar size or bigger and are both two years younger. And that leaves Ernest Jackson and all the other receivers fighting for the fifth receiver spot. I don't see how Collie is going to bring more of a vertical threat to the starting lineup, especially at this stage of his career.

Ullrich: Tedford’s connections help Lions land NFL vet Austin Collie
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is Collie eligible for a NFL pension ?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote:Been nice having you on the team, Marco.
I'd keep him to return kicks.
I'd rather have a) a kick returner with some speed and b) a Special Teams player who can block his guy downfield. I can find a guy off the street who fulfills criteria A better, and I have Haidera for b.
ballhawk
Legend

I believe Collie was brought in to put some pressure on, and challenge the receivers, particularly the Canadian receivers. The Lions can select a receiver in the draft, but that won't nearly apply the pressure to the veteran Canadian receivers as would Collie. Collie has had some serious injuries and hasn't played in quite awhile, so we''ll see how he adjusts and gets through training camp.

Here is an interesting clip:

"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:I'm puzzled by this signing. Collie is probably smaller and slower than most of the holdover Lions' receivers. He is best known in the NFL as a slot receiver with great hands, which is how Courtney Taylor and Ernest Jackson are known on the Lions. Yet according to LU, Tedford sees Collie as a deep threat who can open space for Arceneaux and Taylor underneath.
As much as I like Taylor given the "feel good" story behind his career I think he's in tough. He's a very good receiver but has had problems with injuries. While he's shown great hands and a knack for making big catches at key times from my observations he also dropped some easy catches in the same sorts of situation.

From following the Colts and watching Collie he reminded me of a bigger Ben Cahoon. He still lists at 6' 204#. He has a reputation for precision route running, making clutch catches and difficult catches. Seemed like if he could get his fingertips on a ball he caught it and was willing to sacrifice his body to make a catch.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I'm puzzled by this signing. Collie is probably smaller and slower than most of the holdover Lions' receivers. He is best known in the NFL as a slot receiver with great hands, which is how Courtney Taylor and Ernest Jackson are known on the Lions. Yet according to LU, Tedford sees Collie as a deep threat who can open space for Arceneaux and Taylor underneath.
As much as I like Taylor given the "feel good" story behind his career I think he's in tough. He's a very good receiver but has had problems with injuries. While he's shown great hands and a knack for making big catches at key times from my observations he also dropped some easy catches in the same sorts of situation.

From following the Colts and watching Collie he reminded me of a bigger Ben Cahoon. He still lists at 6' 204#. He has a reputation for precision route running, making clutch catches and difficult catches. Seemed like if he could get his fingertips on a ball he caught it and was willing to sacrifice his body to make a catch.
That's exactly how I see Collie, which would make him a natural fit in Taylor's spot. Arceneaux and Jackson are better deep threats.
squishy35
Legend

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.195175

Here is the TEAM 1040 interview with Collie:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I agree BC FAN. Not sure why Tedford would suggest he is a vertical threat when he noted as a possession receiver. Really hope it works out and his concussion issues are behind him. Been waiting too long on Gore and Ianuzzi's potential. Both need a serious wake-up call and to be challenged at camp. That should come in the way of a healthy Collie.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure why people have such a problem with Gore. He's tough as nails (I've lost count of how many head shots I've seen him take on crossing routes over the middle) and is productive when we have a QB that can get him the ball, which we don't have when Travis isn't healthy. It's Ianuzzi whom I don't see much out of, frankly.
squishy35
Legend

The 1040 interview has Collie acknowledging John Beck as an influence to come to BC (Personal friendship?) as well as Jeff Tedford's pedigree. It sounds like he has a deep respect for both... Makes me wonder if we see John Beck come out of the gate as our starting QB?
Rammer
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:The 1040 interview has Collie acknowledging John Beck as an influence to come to BC (Personal friendship?) as well as Jeff Tedford's pedigree. It sounds like he has a deep respect for both... Makes me wonder if we see John Beck come out of the gate as our starting QB?
Oh I hope that isn't the case, not sure where the season would go, let alone the paying customer. The QB situation is going to haunt the Lions this off season like last years only with the knowledge that nobody is going to be fooled about the possibility of Lulay playing, it will be the reverse if anything. Ben Cahoon was a pretty good possession receiver, strangely rated as a National as well, perhaps Collie can be that receiver for the Lions.

Still waiting for a legit QB for any Lion receiver to excel in 2015 though.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Agreed. Beck did show some brilliance/luck in a few relief episodes last season.... We still have an O-Line that needs addressin'....