Lions sign Austin Collie

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

squishy35 wrote:Agreed. Beck did show some brilliance/luck in a few relief episodes last season.... We still have an O-Line that needs addressin'....
Yes, the QB question is alarming. However, in terms of the O/D lines, I think our bigger issue is with the D-Line. We don't have the replacements for Taylor and Smith nor an inside rush that pushes the opposing O-line. The existing O-Line personnel may respond to new blocking assignments and coaching, but we are needing new personnel on the D-side of the equation.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree that our defensive line needs upgrading. Lions have a couple of good prospects on the offensive line in Jermarcus Hardrick and Hunter Steward.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I tend to agree that our defensive line needs upgrading. Lions have a couple of good prospects on the offensive line in Jermarcus Hardrick and Hunter Steward.
Both have potential allstar written on their resume, it is just the second most important position on the OL that remains a big question mark.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

squishy35 wrote:The 1040 interview has Collie acknowledging John Beck as an influence to come to BC (Personal friendship?) as well as Jeff Tedford's pedigree. It sounds like he has a deep respect for both... Makes me wonder if we see John Beck come out of the gate as our starting QB?
Both played at BYU (as did Ben Cahoon).

Agree completely with Rammer; we're in trouble if our starting quarterback ends up being John Beck. As others have said, QB remains the big--and most important--unknown in this off-season.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I haven't seen enough of John Beck to know if he can take over if Lulay can't go, but I do know that his understanding of the CFL game is much greater now than a year ago. Beck could very well end up being the starter in the short term with Partridge and Rodgers as back ups who hopefully get some playing time and development
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I haven't seen enough of John Beck to know if he can take over if Lulay can't go, but I do know that his understanding of the CFL game is much greater now than a year ago. Beck could very well end up being the starter in the short term with Partridge and Rodgers as back ups who hopefully get some playing time and development
pretty sure there is no Mike Reilly in the bunch though..pity
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
DanoT wrote:I haven't seen enough of John Beck to know if he can take over if Lulay can't go, but I do know that his understanding of the CFL game is much greater now than a year ago. Beck could very well end up being the starter in the short term with Partridge and Rodgers as back ups who hopefully get some playing time and development
pretty sure there is no Mike Reilly in the bunch though..pity
Don't sell Partridge short. He's big and strong, has good field vision and makes plays with his arm and legs. And like Reilly, he attended an NCAA Division 2 school.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yeah. Might be too early to say much about anything in regard to our quarterbacks.

Brand new ballgame with Tedford. One thing he said might resonate. It will be a competitive situation at quarterback in Training Camp. It is not as if we have a confirmed, stacked roster there.
David wrote: * There will be QB competition in camp (I would like it if he'd at least asked, "are you planning on targeting any CFL free agent QBs?" i.e. LeFevour, Sunseri....but you can't name them).
Personally, as a fan, I cannot say for sure what we have with John Beck. He made some nice plays. He seemed to be up to the occasion. He has very good mechanics. Does he have that internal fire that a great QB needs?

We don't really know what Tedford wants in a quarterback, for this league.

As always, it will be interesting. With Tedford, there is some evidence to suggest we may have landed a Head Coach, who just might have some magic in finding and developing quarterbacks. We will see.

As a look around the CFL, this fan sees:

* Calgary, with Hufnagel and Dickenson. Can they find and develop QBs? Ummm ... Yeah. Replace Burris. Replace Glenn. Go with Tate or Mitchell. Plug and play. But they make plug and play look easy.

* Hamilton, with Austin. Can he find and develop QBs? I think so. Win a Cup with Kerry Joseph. Replace Burris. Bring in Collaros and LeFevour.

* Toronto, with Milanovich. Well he has Ricky Ray. But he also found and developed Zach Collaros.

So, it ain't easy out there. But we are in the game. We have made moves, about the best that we could hope for, with our staff. We have some hope.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:

* Calgary, with Hufnagel and Dickenson. Can they find and develop QBs? Ummm ... Yeah. Replace Burris. Replace Glenn. Go with Tate or Mitchell. Plug and play. But they make plug and play look easy.

* Hamilton, with Austin. Can he find and develop QBs? I think so. Win a Cup with Kerry Joseph. Replace Burris. Bring in Collaros and LeFevour.

* Toronto, with Milanovich. Well he has Ricky Ray. But he also found and developed Zach Collaros.

So, it ain't easy out there. But we are in the game. We have made moves, about the best that we could hope for, with our staff. We have some hope.
I don't think that Tate is the guy that leads the Stamps, he is a decent number 2 QB, but it was Cornish or the Stamps D that helped them through games that Mitchell missed. Even at that Mitchell wasn't lighting up the league either, but Calgary's running game with Cornish in could make the necessary push to win games, especially with the D playing so well.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I don't think that Tate is the guy that leads the Stamps, he is a decent number 2 QB, but it was Cornish or the Stamps D that helped them through games that Mitchell missed. Even at that Mitchell wasn't lighting up the league either, but Calgary's running game with Cornish in could make the necessary push to win games, especially with the D playing so well.
Well that is certainly part of the package that Hufnagel and Dickenson have built. Great environment for QBs when you have such a solid run game, such great blocking.

I am not the biggest fan of Drew Tate, for what seems like a me-first, hot-headed attitude. But the fact that Hufnagel and Dickenson seem to believe in him speaks loudly. Tate can play. As noted, I was surprised he re-upped so quickly with Calgary, when he might have drawn more money elsewhere.

So ... Who will be the Lions' #1 Quarterback coming out of Training Camp? That is the million dollar question. Yeah, about a million, I guess. Revenue at the turnstiles. Playoff success.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
leo4life
All Star

Riders unveil their coaching staff today...intersting that Barrin Miles is out and Dan Dorazio is in! LOL