Seahawks' Michael Bennett Takes Jab at CFL on Media Day

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:
Ravi wrote:How wonderful that the city of Vancouver is supporting the likes of Bennett and that jerk Lynch: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/01/2 ... ss-canada/

This sudden love of all things Seahawk in Vancouver reminds me very much of what happened in southern Ontario in the 1990s when the Bills were hot. That support of the Bills didn't do the CFL any favours and I hope that the Lions don't end up having to take a back seat to the Seahawks over the long-term. The reality is that the Seahawks are every bit as much competition to the Lions for the sports entertainment dollar in Vancouver as is the Canucks or Whitecaps and I see some concerning signs regarding the popularity of the Lions in Vancouver and British Columbia.
Flying Seahawk flags at gov't buildings in Vancouver (city hall) and Victoria (prov parl)?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying let's *bash* the Seahawks. And if people here (as private individuals) want to cheer for them, well, whatever. It's not my bag, but that's fine by me. But to fly team flags at *government buildings* for a team from *somewhere else*?

On the surface of it, it seems a bit... I dunno... obsequious? It just doesn't strike me as an act that one would ascribe to a place of local civic pride. It's as if we have nothing of our own of which to be proud, and this has forced us to engage in an act of cultural appropriation.

And this has nothing to do with a sense that the Lions are being snubbed. I'd still feel the same way if it were the Mariners.

I could understand if there were a player from this area on the team, a la Regina city hall flying a flag in support of favoured son/punter Jon Ryan, but to my knowledge this isn't the case, or if it were done by a private place of business like the Library Pub last year (where they were broadcasting the game), or perhaps even under the aegis of the Lions. Maybe this is being done to return the favour after the City of Seattle or State of Washington made a previous, similar public gesture toward us before? I suppose that would make it a neighbourly thing for us to do.

Did we fly similar flags for Larry Walker when he was in the World Series, for Steve Nash when he was in the NBA playoffs, or for Mike Pyke of Victoria when he played in Australia's AFL Grand Final? That would strike me a more appropriate flag-flying occasion.

Were any public funds spent on this? Were other flags of greater local significance displaced for these team flags? I really hope not.
As a resident of Victoria in summer and Sun Peaks in winter I can tell you that Seattle tourists are very important to the economy in both places so it is worthwhile for businesses to show support for the Seahawks, but provincial and city governments flying Seahawks flags is over the top. Then again, just about everything NFL and especially the Superbowl is over the top.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Trust the Lions to do a survey and publish the results that has them a mere 9 points ahead of the NFL. Skulsky still seems to be too much a media guy wanting it all out there whereas that is not a good coffee room result as the focus would be on NFL number.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Have to love Bell Media. The 2 hour NFL Players Awards show gets broadcast in primetime on CTV last night. They also will show the 5 hour pre-game show in its entirety. God forbid they would actually put the Grey Cup game in their own country on its major national network.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:Trust the Lions to do a survey and publish the results that has them a mere 9 points ahead of the NFL. Skulsky still seems to be too much a media guy wanting it all out there whereas that is not a good coffee room result as the focus would be on NFL number.
Why would you want to bury a survey that has you ahead of the NFL? Being more popular than the NFL in your own market is a plus and by how much more popular is way less important, IMO.
ballhawk
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
Ravi wrote:How wonderful that the city of Vancouver is supporting the likes of Bennett and that jerk Lynch: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/01/2 ... ss-canada/

This sudden love of all things Seahawk in Vancouver reminds me very much of what happened in southern Ontario in the 1990s when the Bills were hot. That support of the Bills didn't do the CFL any favours and I hope that the Lions don't end up having to take a back seat to the Seahawks over the long-term. The reality is that the Seahawks are every bit as much competition to the Lions for the sports entertainment dollar in Vancouver as is the Canucks or Whitecaps and I see some concerning signs regarding the popularity of the Lions in Vancouver and British Columbia.
Flying Seahawk flags at gov't buildings in Vancouver (city hall) and Victoria (prov parl)?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying let's *bash* the Seahawks. And if people here (as private individuals) want to cheer for them, well, whatever. It's not my bag, but that's fine by me. But to fly team flags at *government buildings* for a team from *somewhere else*?

On the surface of it, it seems a bit... I dunno... obsequious? It just doesn't strike me as an act that one would ascribe to a place of local civic pride. It's as if we have nothing of our own of which to be proud, and this has forced us to engage in an act of cultural appropriation.

And this has nothing to do with a sense that the Lions are being snubbed. I'd still feel the same way if it were the Mariners.

I could understand if there were a player from this area on the team, a la Regina city hall flying a flag in support of favoured son/punter Jon Ryan, but to my knowledge this isn't the case, or if it were done by a private place of business like the Library Pub last year (where they were broadcasting the game), or perhaps even under the aegis of the Lions. Maybe this is being done to return the favour after the City of Seattle or State of Washington made a previous, similar public gesture toward us before? I suppose that would make it a neighbourly thing for us to do.

Did we fly similar flags for Larry Walker when he was in the World Series, for Steve Nash when he was in the NBA playoffs, or for Mike Pyke of Victoria when he played in Australia's AFL Grand Final? That would strike me a more appropriate flag-flying occasion.

Were any public funds spent on this? Were other flags of greater local significance displaced for these team flags? I really hope not.

A great post sj-roc and I couldn't agree with you more. A sad commentary about our country. I'm sure the folks in Seattle couldn't care less about Vancouver and Victoria, including our teams. Just because Seattle is close geographically to us, so what? We're a country and a culture apart. Obsequious, good word!!

There's even Seahawks flags flying over the main street of Cobble Hill village (population about 35). Funny, I didn't see Lions flags in 2011.
"the 1996 season was a very difficult period... I couldn't imagine telling people that I was part of the last days of the CFL... it seemed that there would be no end to the continuous stream of catastrophic problems... it was like living in a toxic fishbowl... if they had known how serious the situation was, but we couldn't make it public, for fear of a total meltdown". (from Bigger Balls, The CFL and Overcoming the Canadian Inferiority Complex, by Jeff Giles)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:

Good post. :thup: :thup: Agree
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:A great post sj-roc and I couldn't agree with you more. A sad commentary about our country. I'm sure the folks in Seattle couldn't care less about Vancouver and Victoria, including our teams. Just because Seattle is close geographically to us, so what? We're a country and a culture apart. Obsequious, good word!!

There's even Seahawks flags flying over the main street of Cobble Hill village (population about 35). Funny, I didn't see Lions flags in 2011.
Thanks, ballhawk (edit: and TLK). And again, I don't want anyone to get me wrong. I've got no hate for the 'Hawks. If individuals anywhere in BC or wherever else want to cheer for the Seahawks, or if private enterprises want to appropriate the Seahawks' success as a promotional tool, that's fine. And if Seattle/WA folks don't care about us or our teams, that's fine, too. It's just the government angle of these gestures that rub me the wrong way. On this sort of sports-boosting matter, governments should only concern themselves with what's physically within their own jurisdiction, especially if it involves public monies, although I'm not sure what's the case here in these instances. And if it proves to be a return-the-favour gesture because governments within the state of Washington had showed similar prior support for the BC Lions or any other team here, then I'd definitely consider modulating my views.

I give Regina City Hall a pass because they're doing it on account of their home boy Jon Ryan, and on account of Jon Ryan only. No Jon Ryan, no flag.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ravi
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Have to love Bell Media. The 2 hour NFL Players Awards show gets broadcast in primetime on CTV last night. They also will show the 5 hour pre-game show in its entirety. God forbid they would actually put the Grey Cup game in their own country on its major national network.
How wonderful. We can't even get the CFL Player Awards show on live anymore although it ran live on Global, CBC and then TSN for so many years previously (up until late 1990s or early 2000s?).
Ravi
Legend

sj-roc wrote:

An absolutely outstanding post, sj-roc, which completely hits the mark. :cheer:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

ballhawk wrote:There's even Seahawks flags flying over the main street of Cobble Hill village (population about 35). Funny, I didn't see Lions flags in 2011.
If I could actually draw like an editorial cartoonist, here's the picture I'd create:

A living room scene where two middle-aged men — their shirts respectively marked BC Prov Leg and Van City Hall — each with their binoculars trained out the window, jockey for the best view across the street into the yard of that sexy 21 year old who's wearing a Seahawks jersey and little else, while their wives — clad in Lions and Canucks jerseys with "FAN" nameplates on the back — look on with a mixture of wistfulness and (mostly) disapproval.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very nice words from Brandon Browner about his time in the CFL. He loved the league. He matured while in the CFL. Nothing but praise for the CFL and the Canadian experience. (Take that Michael Bennett, along with your late game penalty. :thdn: ) -- interview by Arash Madani

Does Browner have good karma? Grey Cup with Calgary. Super Bowl ring with Seattle (DNP). Super Bowl win with the Patriots.

(Originally posted in the Super Bowl thread)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Trust the Lions to do a survey and publish the results that has them a mere 9 points ahead of the NFL. Skulsky still seems to be too much a media guy wanting it all out there whereas that is not a good coffee room result as the focus would be on NFL number.
Why would you want to bury a survey that has you ahead of the NFL? Being more popular than the NFL in your own market is a plus and by how much more popular is way less important, IMO.
The numbers weren't exactly blowing the NFL out of the water here.

These are the same BC Lions and Skulsky who said a few years his surveys said IIRC their average fan makes 90K a year. That defies data on earnings at StatsCan.

It was a typical Skulsky media story - he's been too much on the other side to know how to manage the message.

The better question is why aren't the Lions just marketing THEIR product and THEIR players to market tickets at home?

When you (Skulsky) sight of your objectives any story is possible to promote I guess.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:
DanoT wrote:
The numbers weren't exactly blowing the NFL out of the water here.

These are the same BC Lions and Skulsky who said a few years his surveys said IIRC their average fan makes 90K a year. That defies data on earnings at StatsCan.

It was a typical Skulsky media story - he's been too much on the other side to know how to manage the message.

The better question is why aren't the Lions just marketing THEIR product and THEIR players to market tickets at home?

When you (Skulsky) sight of your objectives any story is possible to promote I guess.
I'd bet the B.C. popularity of the Seahawks (and "offside" Bennett) has dropped by at least 25% since Sunday. Do another survey 3 days before the next Lions Grey Cup game and the Lions would blow the Yankee interlopers out of the water with regards to popularity.
dupsdell1
Champion

Wii you people stop blaming the seahawks for this this is some stupid NFL player that does not know anything about the CFL what so ever , I do video production at some Seahawk games and I do know very well most of the players have a very good respect for the cfl and what it is.
pennw
Legend

dupsdell1 wrote:Wii you people stop blaming the seahawks for this this is some stupid NFL player that does not know anything about the CFL what so ever , I do video production at some Seahawk games and I do know very well most of the players have a very good respect for the cfl and what it is.

Russel Wilson and some of his teammates were at the Grey Cup game to watch . I agree it is dumb to make so much of one minor comment and blow it out of proportion .Seems everyone forgot about the Seahawks here in Vancouver to take in our game .I think that out weighs one dumb comment .
I don't think to much of the mindset of some who see the the NFL as so vastly superior , but the opposite we get by those who take every opportunity to slag the NFL is just as bad . Let's not have an inferiority complex either way .