Calvillo begins coaching career

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MONTREAL -- Anthony Calvillo's days as a CFL quarterback are behind him, but his career with the Montreal Alouettes isn't.

The Als announced on Monday that the 42-year-old will join their staff in 2015 as an offensive coach, where he'll provide the perspective of one of the greatest professional football quarterbacks the game has ever seen.

"He's hungry to get started," said Head Coach Tom Higgins.

Calvillo spent 16 of his 20 CFL seasons with the Alouettes, helping the Als capture three Grey Cup Championships while also winning Most Outstanding Player three times. He retired after the 2013 season as the league's all-time leading passer.

"Being away from the game for one year has been great, but it's time for me to get back to work," said Calvillo. "I'm here to learn. There's no set position at this particular time, but I'm up for anything -- quarterbacks, running backs, receivers. I feel I can bring a positive influence on the players, and I'm really just looking forward to the challenge."

Higgins announced that both Calvillo and Ryan Dinwiddie will be on the Als' offensive coaching staff next year as offensive coaches, along with Turk Schonert. Jeff Garcia, brought in last year as an advisor for the offence, will not be back as he returns home to his family.

"The Montreal Alouettes is a great organisation that I was blessed to have been a part of, for so many years," declared Anthony Calvillo. "After my last season, I knew I had to distance myself from football for a while, before coming back stronger, as a coach. I will continue to be myself, and I know I will learn a lot from this experienced coaching staff," added Calvillo.

The Alouettes will welcome the 2015 campaign with a mix of stability and renewal within the coaching ranks following a historic turnaround that saw the team climb out of the cellar and reach the CFL's East Final.

"It was imperative to solidify our coaching staff as early as possible", declared Jim Popp. "We have a solid foundation returning in 2015, which will help Coach Higgins and his staff, kick start the preparations for the upcoming season in the right direction."

"It is always great to be able to help a former player transition into another stage of his career in a profession he has excelled in so well on the field. We are excited to work with Anthony and welcome his knowledge to our coaching staff as we focus on our goal to win a championship in 2015, " added Popp.

Jim Popp and Tom Higgins also confirmed the return of the complete defensive coaching staff, which suggests stability and continuity for the team's defensive unit, probably one of the most effective and threatening squad in the Canadian Football League over the past few years.