Jeff Tedford's Experience with the Buccaneers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Ran across this mildly-interesting story, by Mike Florio, in Pro Football Talk. It describes Jeff Tedford's thinking while recovering for heart surgery.

Tedford says he wanted to come back to Bucs in November
Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2015, 3:21 PM EST

Last year at this time, incoming Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith made what at the time was regarded as a genius hire, bringing former Cal coach Jeff Tedford to Tampa Bay to run the offense. But then Tedford got sick in the preseason, the Buccaneers had to get by without an offensive coordinator, and Tedford was eventually released from his contract.

Now the head coach of the B.C. Lions of the CFL, Tedford talked about his time in Tampa with JoeBucsFan.com, and about the way it all ended.

“I was ready to [return to coach] with about five games left,” Tedford said. “I wouldn’t say that there was friction, it was a situation where I think when I let [Lovie] know I was ready to come back, Lovie felt like it would kind of disrupt continuity at the time. A season is a long season, there’s a lot of water under the bridge going game to game and things like that. I think he felt it best that I not come in and try to fulfill my role like that because it would have been a disruption and really kind of mess up the continuity. So that was the situation then.

“And they really couldn’t commit to me about another year because, you know, I don’t know if they were a little apprehensive about my health or whatever. But I wanted to stay in the first place. You know when it first happened, I got out and I wanted to, but I was in no position to coordinate at the time. I was under a lot of medication. I had some further issues that went on because of my stents in whatever they call that main descending artery. And I had blockages I was on medicine for. But then there were some other things that went along with it, and so I was on a lot of medication. And I mentioned to Lovie, ‘I still got some issues here, but I’d love to stick around and do what I can do.’ But I was in no position to coordinate at the time.”

The Bucs now have Dirk Koetter in place to run the offense. Having any offensive coordinator will be an improvement over 2014, when the team had to get by with a major absence at one of the most important coaching positions on the team. For that reason alone, the Bucs should be a lot better in 2015.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Tedford happens to be in the Tampa Bay area this week scouting for Saturday's East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg. He elaborated on the whole scenario Wednesday in an interview with the Tampa Tribune, saying he ultimately agreed with Lovie Smith that it would have been difficult to try to come back as coordinator late in the season, so he stayed home and the two sides mutually agreed to part ways. So far there's been no comment from Smith.

Tedford told return to Bucs would have disrupted ‘continuity’
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Tedford happens to be in the Tampa Bay area this week scouting for Saturday's East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg. He elaborated on the whole scenario Wednesday in an interview with the Tampa Tribune, saying he ultimately agreed with Lovie Smith that it would have been difficult to try to come back as coordinator late in the season, so he stayed home and the two sides mutually agreed to part ways. So far there's been no comment from Smith.

The NFL seems to be reticent on some health type issues and this might have been a driver of the 'don't came back now' view of the HC.

If they don't trust his health issue then why bring him back only to not have him come back this coming season..... logic is hard to argue if that is the situation.

What i am not sure of is IF the HC should be scouting or hiring a team of coaches as a first priority.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Tedford happens to be in the Tampa Bay area this week scouting for Saturday's East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg. He elaborated on the whole scenario Wednesday in an interview with the Tampa Tribune, saying he ultimately agreed with Lovie Smith that it would have been difficult to try to come back as coordinator late in the season, so he stayed home and the two sides mutually agreed to part ways. So far there's been no comment from Smith.

The NFL seems to be reticent on some health type issues and this might have been a driver of the 'don't came back now' view of the HC.

If they don't trust his health issue then why bring him back only to not have him come back this coming season..... logic is hard to argue if that is the situation.

What i am not sure of is IF the HC should be scouting or hiring a team of coaches as a first priority.

Attending a Shrine game is more about opportunity than priority.

While I assume that Tedfords wife is handling most of the Tampa to Vancouver move logistics, there may be certain things that Tedford needs to return to Tampa to take care of before finalizing the move to Vancouver. And one of those things might be interviewing a potential coach from his former Buccaneers team or some other coaches from across the continent that are going to be at the Shrine game.