Riders release Dominic Picard

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Wow, if Cortez and Malone come this way, I sure hope they can convince Picard to join them. This would be a gift signing.
The Green Zone wrote:The Saskatchewan Roughriders may or may not be looking for a new man in the middle along the offensive line.

The Green Zone can confirm that the Riders have released centre Dominic Picard. News that was first reported by the Winnipeg Sun's Kirk Penton on Friday.

However, there's still a chance Picard could be back in green and white in 2015. Picard was let go due to salary cap concerns and has been or will be offered a new contract with a lower cap hit. The ball is now in Picard's court on whether he will re-sign with the team at a lower salary or sign elsewhere in the CFL.

The Riders originally signed Picard as a free agent in February of 2012 after previously playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the Toronto Argonauts.

Picard re-signed with the Riders after winning a Grey Cup with the team in
The Sainte-Foy, Quebec native was the team's nominee for most outstanding offensive lineman in 2012 and 2014.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very strange goings-on between Regina and B.C.

JC to Regina. Maybe Benny and Dorazio also. Geroy already there.

Cortez maybe coming to B.C. Doug Malone (OL coach) maybe coming to B.C.

Dominic Picard is certainly of interest to us.

6'2" 302 lbs.

Round 3 pick in 2006 with Winnipeg.
Dominic Picard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Centre

Personal information

Date of birth: June 22, 1982 (age 32)
Place of birth: Sainte-Foy, Quebec

Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) Weight: 302 lb (137 kg)

Career information

College: Laval
CFL Draft: 2006 / Round: 3 / Pick: 23
Debuted in 2006 for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Career history

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (2006–2008)
Toronto Argonauts (2009-2011)
Saskatchewan Roughriders (2012-present)

CFL status: Non-Import
Stats at CFL.ca

Dominic Picard (born June 22, 1982 in Sainte-Foy, Quebec) is a Canadian football centre for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League. He played CIS Football at Laval.

College career[edit]

Picard played four seasons at Laval Rouge et Or where he won two Vanier Cup (2003–04). Picard won the J.P. Metras trophy in 2005, which is the top Lineman in the country. He was named All-Canadian in 2004 and 2005. He was named rookie of the year in the Quebec Conference in 2002.

Professional career[edit]

Picard was drafted 23rd overall by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2006 before he joined the Toronto Argonauts in 2009 as a top Free Agent. Then he tested the Free Agency for a second time in his pro career and signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on February 16, 2012. After the end of the 2013 season, Picard signed a contract extension with the Roughriders, promising to keep him in Saskatchewan through the 2015 season.[1]
Nothing wrong with the talent level of our National O Linemen, it seems to me. Need some good, solid coaching.

This CFL fan does not really have an opinion at this time on Dominic Picard or Doug Malone.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Speculation over ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Well, that was short lived. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have just signed centre Dominic Picard, who was the Riders' Outstanding Lineman last year.

I wonder what happens to Matthias Goossen who's a centre and their #1 draft pick last year (he played back-up most of the year to Steve Morley)?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

That's disappointing. It would have been good to have a veteran centre here, allowing Matt Norman to go back to guard. I think the Lions should be looking for a national veteran centre through trade or free agency.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:That's disappointing. It would have been good to have a veteran centre here, allowing Matt Norman to go back to guard. I think the Lions should be looking for a national veteran centre through trade or free agency.
True SP, but Matt Norman might just be a coach away from being a stud at Centre? I like our OLine talent...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Well, that was short lived. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have just signed centre Dominic Picard, who was the Riders' Outstanding Lineman last year.

I wonder what happens to Matthias Goossen who's a centre and their #1 draft pick last year (he played back-up most of the year to Steve Morley)?

Good question but I suspect Goossen gets some time at Center and at Guard in 2015. Bigger question is what happens with Morely. Does he move to RG or does Neufeld start at RG. Not sure whether Neufeld is good enough to start at RT.

That said, neither were our Imports on the OL good enough. Swiston is a free agent ( I doubt he is re-signed ) so at least we have a little more depth.
Last edited by Blue In BC on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:That's disappointing. It would have been good to have a veteran centre here, allowing Matt Norman to go back to guard. I think the Lions should be looking for a national veteran centre through trade or free agency.
Me too...and the best option just got signed by Winnipeg. Norman never played center in college. I think we should draft a center if there is a good one available. I would rather start an import at center than at guard but its traditionally been a National position. Perhaps Norman will get better with better coaching.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
OV - 54:40
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Me too...and the best option just got signed by Winnipeg. Norman never played center in college. I think we should draft a center if there is a good one available. I would rather start an import at center than at guard but its traditionally been a National position. Perhaps Norman will get better with better coaching.
As i mentioned in the draft thread - 2 very good C prospects this coming draft in Mateas ( U Conn) and McEwen (Calgary); Ottawa might be tempted to take local guy Mateas at first overall perhaps; but Wally could maybe get one of the 2 with his first round pick; that's if he identifies O-Line and specifically C as a big need; but maybe he is happy with Norman there and a good stable of young O-Linemen also including Fabien, Steward and Player.

Lions should IMO consider one of the very good receiver or DT prospects up this draft with their first round pick (one of the DTs in a deep crop this year could be had 2nd round perhaps?)

Should be targeting an area of need / potential starter with the 1st round pick. And again = the possibilty of landing receiver Lamar Durant is intriguing IMO; but pre CFL draft NFL interest could determine if that would make good sense. Big target (6-5) receiver Addison Richards (Regina) (playing in the US Shrine game upcoming) might be a very nice draft pick too