CFL Draft 2015, Nic Demski, Pick #6 in Round 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/qa-draft-guru ... -cfl-draft
Durant and Demski come from different football backgrounds. How can teams compare the competition they’ve faced?

“Generally speaking, even in the CIS you have a big range in terms of the competition. NCAA Division II is no different, there’s a big range. Overall it’s a relatively fair comparison between the two, but you have to be careful about making a generalization so there’s that.”

Which one is the better prospect?

“Comparing the two of them, I think a lot of it depends on the scout, the general manager, the coach and what skills they value the most in their given system. You have two guys you could label as explosive athletes, maybe Demski a little more so and maybe a little bit smoother. These two guys ran their 40 times within one 100th of a second of each other at the combine, so that tells you how close that part of it is.”

“I would probably give a little bit of an edge to Lemar Durant on the premise that to me, there’s tremendous upside with both of these guys but when you look at Durant and his combination of size, a 230-pound guy, great vertical leap, great strength and can be a very physical guy that also runs a 4.50 electronic 40 – it’s a winning combination.”

“I know teams will have some concerns about both of these guys. I know with Lemar Durant, he didn’t have a big personality that wowed people in interviews. Maybe sometimes he comes off a little bit more laid back and less intense than people may look for, and some teams may have a concern with that. Nic Demski, when Manitoba was in the spotlight and getting to the big games at the end of the year, including the national semi-finals, he didn’t shine the way some teams may have hoped. Everyone has their concerns about different things and different things that they love, but to me it’s going to be interesting to see which one of these guys goes first and I’m excited to see both in the Canadian Football League.”

Is there any receiver in the CFL you’d compare Durant to?

“As much as people have made this characterization as the best receiving prospect since Andy Fantuz, I would say they’re very different. What you’ve got in Durant is a guy who is faster and more physical, more like a Ray Elgaard or a Jason Clermont and runs faster than any of the guys in the group, but as far as the Fantuz comparison, he’s not nearly as polished a receiver as Andy Fantuz was.”

“There may be slightly more as far as physical tools, but he’s not there yet. Lemar has been able to be extremely successful at Simon Fraser without having to build a full arsenal of tricks to get open. Another thing to keep in mind with Lemar Durant is that this is a guy who’s going to play slot in the CFL with his size and speed, but for his whole life as a kid from BC, he’s never played Canadian rules football. He’s never had that waggle and pre-snap motion. For me, when I look at the upside of him and think a 230-pound guy with 4.55 speed who hasn’t learned the waggle yet, when he does, that could be a scary thing.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Where’s the depth of this draft past the first two rounds?

“I think it gets interesting in the third round. I think the third round is where you’ll start to see people looking at, if not earlier, guys like Brett Boyko and Tyler Varga. It may be a little early for Christian Covington, but for a team that has multiple picks around that range, I know Calgary for example has three third-rounders and has done well stocking up on ‘futures’ type picks in the past, that becomes a possibility.”

“I think those are some of the very good value-type picks that you might see at that stage of the draft. I think you’ve got some pretty serviceable fullbacks in this draft too that there’s a little bit of depth there. There’s certainly some depth at linebacker in this draft – that’s been one of the hardest positions to rank and hard to find consensus and I think that’s probably a good thing for that position. There’s also a little bit of depth at defensive back. I know typically there aren’t a lot of DB jobs in the CFL for Canadian players, but there are certainly some good athletic guys there who can fill a spot and can help out on special teams.”
Yes. Calgary will be in position, with its depth, and with its extra picks in Round 3, to draft some futures.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

David
Team Captain

We've had 7 pages of great draft comments and information. Locking this one down and starting an all-new Draft Day thread HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

All picks completed earlier. Review of the draft ...
Final Scouting Bureau Ranking

Rank Name Position School
1 (--)
Christian Covington DL Rice
2 (1)
Brett Boyko OL UNLV
Yeay. We got the top two guys on the ratings list. :wink: Wait a minute. Hmmmm ... As good as these guys look as pro prospects, we might never see them here with the Lions.

* Mrabure-Ajufo, Ese

Far down the ratings list. Available in later rounds? Other teams see in him what the Lions saw? A bit of a head shaker to go this high, it seems to me.

* Brett Boyko. OL.

A great prospect from what we read. Good chance to stick with the Eagles, it would seem. If we ever see him here, he could be top notch. If ...

* Little Shaq. Shaquille Murray-Lawrence. RB. Could be a good scatback. Smurf size. We do need a National backup for Andrew Harris. Shaq could be very good.
Height: 5’8”
Weight: 192 pounds
Stock: Up

Despite an injured groin that was wrapped up, Murray-Lawrence still ran a 4.41 40-yard time and participated in all the football drills. He proved he has the ability to be explosive as a running back in the pros.
* Adrian Clark. LB.

* Campbell Allison. OL. By one account, he came to the Combine out of shape. Slid down the ratings somewhat.
Campbell Allison, OL, Eastern Michigan

Height: 6’5”
Weight: 339 pounds
Stock: Down

Flat out, Allison came to the National CFL Combine looking very out of shape. Poor results in the testing portion of the event followed by a subpar showing in the one-on-one session caused his stock to fall.
* Christian Covington. One can hope. One can dream. These Nationals have caught the attention of the NFL. More and more, it is likely that those signed by NFL teams will stay for at least a while, in the NFL.

* Joshua Brinkworth. DB.

* Maxx Forde. DL. Good size for a rush end type. Tested well, it sounds like.
Maxx Forde, DL, Idaho

Height: 6’3”
Weight: 262 pounds
Stock: Up

A strong testing showing, where Forde ranked first or second among all defensive linemen at the National CFL Combine in each event except on the bench press, boosted his stock. And he followed that up with a solid performance in the one-on-ones.

My impressions, as a fan ...

Not exactly a play it safe draft for us. More of a rolling the dice kind of draft, it seems to me.

We could almost roll snake eyes. Or we could hit it big with Boyko and Covington.

We will see ...

Just IMO, as a fan ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some guys we passed over ... The Stampeders are delighted that Durant fell to them in Round 2.
5 (8)
Danny Groulx OL Laval

7 (3)
Daryl Waud DL Western

8 (--)
Lemar Durant REC Simon Fraser

9 (5)
Nic Demski REC Manitoba

13 (10)
Jacob Ruby OL Richmond

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish ...
Lions surprise with top pick Ese Mrabure-Ajufo at CFL draft

BY MIKE BEAMISH, VANCOUVER SUN MAY 12, 2015 10:23 PM

B.C. Lions head coach Jeff Tedford, president Dennis Skulsky and vice-president and general manager Wally Buono (left to right) strategize in their "war room" as they take part in the annual CFL draft of Canadian players in Surrey on Tuesday. The Lions selected defensive lineman Ese Mrabure-Ajufo of Wilfrid Laurier University with their first pick, fifth overall.
Photograph by: Mark van Manen , PNG
His dad’s name is Lucky. Ese Mrabure-Ajufo feels he’s been touched by kismet, too.

Nobody was more surprised to be a first-round pick in Tuesday’s Canadian Football League draft than the defensive end from Wilfrid Laurier University, who was projected to land well outside the top 10.

The B.C. Lions thought otherwise.

One slot after WLU teammate Chris Ackie, a prized defensive back, went to the Montreal Alouettes as the No. 4 overall pick, the Lions claimed Mrabure-Ajufo at No. 5. He was busy celebrating Ackie’s selection at a Wilfrid Laurier draft party and was blown away when he was the next pick.

“Honestly, it came right out of left field,” Mrabure-Ajufo said in a teleconference. “All the projections had me 17th or 18th. I was expecting maybe late first or second round. When I did get the phone call (from the Lions), I looked at the caller ID and said, ‘Wow.’ Honestly, this may sound bad. But I had no clue who called me (Lions player personnel director Neil McEvoy).”

Mrabure-Ajufo is expected to a depth player on the defensive line behind returning Canadians Jabar Westerman (projected to be a starter at defensive end) and David Menard. A seventh-round pick in Tuesday’s draft, Maxx Forde, is also in the D-line mix. Despite his late selection, Forde ranked “better than anyone in the draft”, according to McEvoy’s analytics.

“We’re trying to build our team. We’re trying to build our depth,” said Lions GM Wally Buono. “That includes the ability to have two Canadian starters on defence. You’ve got to rely on good football players to step up, if there’s an injury. Ese is 6-3, 260 and very athletic.”

The Lions took a calculated risk in the second round when they laid claim to Brett Boyko, an offensive lineman from Nevada-Las Vegas. Boyko was the No. 2 ranked player in the draft behind Rice defensive tackle Christian Covington, who went to the Houston Texans in the sixth round of the NFL draft on May 2.

Covington was selected by the Lions with the second of two picks in the fifth round (obtained in a trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats). Essentially, they bought a lottery ticket.

“He’s (Covington) the best player in the draft,” Buono said. “Are we likely to see him? Probably not. He’s been drafted (by the NFL). But, in the fifth round, you can afford to take a chance.”

Boyko was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Philadelphia Eagles and went to their rookie camp last week. But the Lions GM believes Boyko is not a surefire NFL prospect -- and he hopes he’s proven right.

“He (Boyko) signed a contract,” Buono said. “You might see him in September (after NFL preseason). You might not. So there’s a little bit of risk. At this point, I believe he was the best player after Christian Covington and (Tyler) Varga.” (Varga, a running back from Yale, signed with the Indianapolis Colts after the NFL draft).

The Lions’ third-round pick, UNLV running back Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, briefly held the CFL combine record for the fastest 40-yard dash time when he was clocked in 4.41 in March. The mark was later eclipsed by defensive back Tevaughn Campbell of the Regina Rams (4.355).

“Roy Shivers (the Lions’ player personnel consultant who lives in Las Vegas) told me last year, ‘This guy (Murray-Lawrence) is for real,’” Buono said. “He’s fast, he’s tough, he makes people miss. He carries himself with an aura. We expect him to complement Andrew Harris.”

With teams staying clear of Covington in the early rounds, a player whom they may never see, the Ottawa RedBlacks made Connecticut offensive lineman Alex Mateas the No. 1 overall pick. Two more offensive linemen coveted by the Lions were gone by the time their turn came in the first round. Sukh Chugh, who went to Port Coquitlam’s Terry Fox secondary, went No. 2 overall to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Centre Sean McEwen was the No. 3 overall pick by the Toronto Argonauts.

Simon Fraser wide receiver Lemar Durant, slotted at No. 8 in the final draft rankings, fell to the bottom of the second round when the Calgary Stampeders made him the 18th overall pick.

B.C. Lions Draft Picks

1. Ese Mrabure-Ajuro, DL, Wilfrid Laurier, fifth overall -- Surprise pick ranked outside of top 10 in final CFL draft rankings.

2. Brett Boyko, OL, UNLV, 14th overall -- Top-ranked offensive lineman signed by Philadelphia Eagles as undrafted free agent.

3. Shaquille Murray-Lawrence, RB, UNLV, 23rd overall -- Burner (4.41 40 at CFL combine) seen as backup to Andrew Harris.

4. Adrian Clarke, LB, Bishop’s, 32nd overall -- Fastest 40 time among LBs at CFL combine, he’s seen as special teams ace.

5. Campbell Allison, OL, Eastern Michigan, 41st overall -- The man mountain (6-5, 339) from Manitoulin Island has played all five O-line positions.

5. Christian Covington, DL, Rice, 43rd overall -- Second of two fifth-round picks, Vancouver College grad drafted by Houston Texans.

6. Josh Brinkworth, DB, Pacific, 49th overall -- Canadian-born, 6-1, 205-pound safety/linebacker grew up in Elk Grove, Calif.

7. Maxx Forde, DL, Idaho, 58th overall -- Three-year starter in college, his dad, Brian Forde, played 35 games for B.C. (1994-95).
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3Zzm6jbj7

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions ... story.html

Yes. As Lowell points out, it is gratifying that the Lions now draft DLinemen. Westerman. Menard. And 3 this draft. With the ratio, it seems to make eminent good sense to plan on starting a National in the D Line. Westerman and Menard make a very good combo. Ese should/could provide good support for them, and on STs.
Ullrich: Lions make surprise moves at CFL draft

Defensive lineman Ese Mrabure-Ajufo didn’t expect to go until later in the draft, but B.C. takes him at fifth

BY LOWELL ULLRICH, THE PROVINCE MAY 12, 2015 9:37 PM

Ullrich: Lions make surprise moves at CFL draft

B.C. Lions coach Jeff Tedford, left, president Dennis Skulsky and GM Wally Buono in their ‘war room’ in Surrey as they take part in the annual CFL draft of Canadian players. The jersey of Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, their first draft pick at No. 5, sits on the table.

If everyone this side of TSN draft guru Duane Forde was surprised by the direction taken by the B.C. Lions with the fifth overall pick in the CFL draft Tuesday, rest assured the same held true with their choice, Ese Mrabure-Ajufo.

But after the elation died down around the defensive lineman who also didn’t figure he would hear his name called until much later, general manager Wally Buono admitted what has been a glaring hole in the depth chart of the CFL team.

The Lions need defensive linemen, and who better in their estimation that the well-spoken product of Wilfrid Laurier University, even if some draft experts didn’t think he’d be chosen at least until late in the second round.

“Honestly, it came right out of left field for me, too,” Mrabure-Ajufo told reporters on a conference call.

“All the projections had me (going) 17 or 18th (overall). I was expecting late first round or early second.”

Of the teams that called to check up on the 6-foot-4, 260-pounder this past week, the Lions were not one of them, Mrabure-Ajufo said. And the history of the Lions on draft day would have made it obvious why he shouldn’t have expected much attention.

Since 2008, the Lions have only picked five other defensive linemen in the draft, which would suggest Brent Johnson didn’t blaze that much of a path when he became a perennial all-star as a third-round selection by Adam Rita and the Lions 15 years ago.

B.C. struck it rich three seasons ago with Jabar Westerman — who was signed to an extension after last season — then followed up last year when David Menard became a serviceable backup that will form one Canadian starting tandem this year.

But the D-line had become a Canadian minefield the Lions simply had to repair, and so, by the end of the night, Buono had taken three of them.

Mind you, the only time fifth-round flyer Christian Covington of Surrey ever visits the Lions might be after the expiration of the four-year, $2.37 million contract he signed last weekend with the Houston Texans.

The other defensive lineman taken, Maxx Forde, came in the seventh round and therefore might be viewed as nothing more than another project. Forde is the son of 1988 Lions first-round pick Brian Forde.

But on a night when selected B.C.-bred players were few and form held everywhere else in the first round — with six offensive linemen taken among the first nine selections — the Lions gave many something new to think about on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

“We’re going to start (Westerman). We not only have to have a good player start there, but also to play a role position,” said Buono, whose starting group at present consists only of Westerman, 35-year-old Khreem Smith and second-year man Alex Bazzie.

“Ese is young, but can play inside on second down. I think he can be a contributor on teams.”

Buono’s second-round pick was a surprise too. UNLV offensive lineman Brett Boyko already has signed a contract that contains a $20,000 US guarantee from the Philadelphia Eagles, but B.C. took him anyway.

But if the pick of the Lions’ newest Nigerian represented something of a gamble, Mrabure-Ajufo feels it won’t be long before he repays their faith thanks to an ability to use his speed coming off the edge of the line of scrimmage.

“I’ve had to use my speed to advantage. I may be 260 pounds, but I move quicker than people think I would move,” Mrabure-Ajufo said.

If he’s as fast as railbirds had to jump looking for their notes on the newest Lions prospect last night, he’ll help.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hufnagel's review of his draft ...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/hufnagel-on-s ... im-pleased
Hufnagel on Stamps' Draft: 'As of today, I'm pleased'

Posted: May 14, 2015 03:00 PM

CFL.ca Staff
With files from Stampeders.com

CALGARY -- If you liken the CFL Draft to Christmas time, the Calgary Stampeders are kind of like that kid that gets all the best presents.

One person pleased with the outcome is Head Coach and General Manager John Hufnagel, who was able to both fill some needs for his team but also get the players he believed were the best available to be picked.

“I was pleased with the results,” Hufnagel told Stampeders.com. “We got a lot of players that we thought were good football players and we had ranked fairly high. There were some needs that we wanted to fill so we accomplished that. As of today, I’m pleased.”

There’s still a matter of getting the players into camp and determining their roles for the start of this season, but at an early glance it appears as though the Stampeders may have some difference-makers.

Armed with the ninth overall pick to start after last year winning the Grey Cup, the Stampeders opted to snag Laval offensive lineman Karl Lavoie with their first pick – one Hufnagel said he at least considered using on highly-touted receiver Lemar Durant instead.

But for a team whose strength is on the big men up front and will also be missing top offensive lineman Brett Jones (departed for the NFL), replenishing the O-line was a no-brainer in the end.

“There was consideration,” Hufnagel said when asked about taking Durant in the first round. “But we really liked Karl, and the fact that the foundation of our football team is our offensive line – I wanted to make that we have enough good bodies that can keep it rolling.”

The Stampeders showed no qualms picking at the bottom of the first round, hauling in some of the draft's top prospects including three in the top-15 of the CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings. Here's who they selected:

OL Karl Lavoie (9), REC Lemar Durant (18), RB Tyler Varga (19), DB Tevaughn Campbell (22), FB William Langlais (27), DB Dexter Janke (44), OL Aaron Picton (53), QB Andrew Buckley (62)

Lavoie joins former Laval teammate Pierre Lavertu (selected last year first overall after a draft-day trade with Ottawa) as the young up and coming Canadians on Calgary’s roster that could anchor the Stamps’ O-line for many years to come.

While the Stamps’ first round pick was as solid as could be, the draft seemingly only got better from there. When the next pick rolled around at 18th overall, the player they contemplated at ninth was still on the board.

Without any hesitation, the Stampeders went with the Simon Fraser alum, ranked eighth overall in the CFL Scouting Bureau rankings.

“I’m very surprised to have Lemar Durant,” said Hufnagel. “He’s a very gifted athlete, good size, good speed, strong receiver.”

“Has the ability to jump and catch the football with great body control.”

Durant, once considered a possibility to go first overall to the Ottawa REDBLACKS before they signed Chris Williams, may have been the biggest surprise to fall in the draft. Some even say the six-foot-three, 230-pound dynamo is the best receiving prospect in the draft since Andy Fantuz.

“I was surprised,” added Hufnagel. “I think most people were surprised, especially [TSN Draft Insider] Duane Forde.”

Calgary’s next pick at 19th overall may have been its most intriguing, selecting Yale running back Tyler Varga. Varga signed a contract with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent where he’ll possibly look to play fullback.

A dominant runner who is both physical and fast, some project he may be too slow to play tailback in the NFL and too small to fit in as a fullback, potentially opening the door for an eventual arrival in Calgary. If Varga ever does land in the CFL, the Stampeders could go from one generational running back in Jon Cornish to another.

After three solid picks, the draft’s biggest potential steal and a player many considered to be a first round talent was taken by Calgary in the third round, 22nd overall. Regina’s Tevaughn Campbell was widely considered the second best defensive back in the draft and will now add a new dimension to Calgary’s stout defensive backfield.

“Fastest guy at the combine,” Hufnagel said of Campbell, who broke a Combine record for the fastest electric 40 time. “He had an NFL look at a free agent workout camp and we feel that he can come in and compete and hopefully develop over a number of years and become a starter.”

“In the meantime, we believe that he can be effective on special teams, especially at the gunner position because of his speed.”

The Stampeders took the fastest man at last year’s Combine as well in Adam Thibault, but Hufnagel said Campbell could have a more upside on defence as a cover man.

“Adam was more of a special teams guy that we know would be flying down the field giving his all,” said Hufnagel. “Tevaughn, I expect the same type of attitude, but coming out of school, Tevaughn is a better cover guy.”

The rest of Calgary’s draft has also drawn positive reviews. Fullback William Langlais out of Sherbrooke was one of Forde’s sleeper picks entering the draft, who the Stamps managed to snag in the fourth round.

Defensive back Dexter Janke will have a hard time moving up Calgary's depth chart on the back end, but he’s defied the odds so far in his career, overcoming injuries and earning an invite to the National Combine from the Edmonton Regional Combine.

Hufnagel raved about Janke’s potential, noting that injuries are the reason he fell in the draft.

“Very, very good athlete,” said Hufnagel. “The problem with Dexter and why he fell that far is because of his past health. He had a couple knee operations but changed his position from running back to defensive back and had an extremely good, productive career at Okanagan Sun.”

“He’s a football player. He’s a good hitter. He’ll play special teams and work in the secondary, probably in the safety position.”

The Stampeders rolled the dice in the late rounds on offensive lineman Aaron Picton, a developmental player with another year of eligibility. He’ll likely return to the University of Regina for another year of seasoning before getting a chance to crack the Stamps’ roster.

Finally, with the last pick in the draft, Andrew Buckley gets the nod for Mr. Irrelevant at 62nd overall. Buckley was the second quarterback off the board to South Alabama’s Brandon Bridge and will join the Stampeders as a legitimate QB prospect after last year participating in Calgary’s training camp.

“He didn’t get a whole lot of snaps in a team concept but when he did, he kept his poise, went through the reads,” said Hufnagel. “He was very studious throughout the training camp period and is another young man who has some eligibility left.”

Time will tell how the Stampeders truly fared in their 2015 draft class, but early on it seems as though Hufnagel has found plenty of value. While first-round pick Lavoie did not rank in the CFL Scouting Bureau recent rankings, he’s highly touted by draft insiders.

Durant (8), Varga (4) and Campbell (15), meanwhile, are three players the Stampeders drafted from rounds two and three that were ranked in the top-15 of the Scouting Bureau.

At first glance, do the Calgary Stampeders have the best haul from the 2015 CFL Draft?
Solid picks, from the last position in the draft.

Re Durant ... It will be interesting to see how he does with the Stampeders. A physical talent. He must have come across poorly in the interviews to drop so far in the draft. But I expect he can go get the ball with confidence, and, with his size and athletic abilty, make something happen after. In pro football, there have been many, many talented receivers who could considered prima donnas. Not every team would want them on their roster. I would not expect Durant to be a problem in Calgary. If he cannot fit in, he will be cut loose.

Hufnagel looks very pleased as he talks to the media. No need for defensiveness about his selections.

Took a flyer on Varga. I would love to see this guy in our league.

I expect Lavoie will continue in the tradition of outstanding O Lines in Calgary. I expect Durant to be effective as a receiver. Campbell should contribute as a DB. It looks like a solid draft for the Stampeders. Varga, if he leaves the NFL at some point, would be a huge bonus.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.bclions.com/video/index/id/109971

Neil McAvoy talks about the Lions' draft picks ...

McAvoy re #1 pick Ese: "We wanted depth for our DL. We felt he was the best defensive lineman on the board. We feel he is going to come in and play Day 1."

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Find me a coach or GM in any sports that says anything different than "we're very pleased with what we selected". Would be shocking to hear someone says: We drafted a bunch of deadbeats. They won't make our roster or any other roster. :wink: :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Find me a coach or GM in any sports that says anything different than "we're very pleased with what we selected". Would be shocking to hear someone says: We drafted a bunch of deadbeats. They won't make our roster or any other roster. :wink: :wink:

In the CFL that has been accomplished in the past....
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Find me a coach or GM in any sports that says anything different than "we're very pleased with what we selected". Would be shocking to hear someone says: We drafted a bunch of deadbeats. They won't make our roster or any other roster. :wink: :wink:

In the CFL that has been accomplished in the past....
Yes, there are the statements for public consumption. And, at this point the 9 GMs still believe in their decisions, until proven otherwise. Hufnagel's record indicates that he is very good at judging personnel. He is not just a "garden variety" GM. Jim Popp seems to do well year after year in the draft, especially in stocking the O Line. Our results seemed to pick up during Kelly Bates time on staff. We will see in time how the CFL teams, including our Lions, did this year in the draft. It certainly looked like there was lots of talent available. It seems to me that the depth and level of the National talent is on the rise.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/socce ... story.html

From Lowell Ullrich ...
It was at the Toronto evaluation camp in March where Tedford got to see Ese Mrabure-Ajufo and three others who would eventually be selected by the Lions.

The rest of the league may have seen the Wilfrid Laurier defensive end as the 18th-best prospect who has only averaged 2.5 sacks in his career and at 260 pounds will operate at a sizable weight disadvantage against many offensive linemen.

General manager Wally Buono saw something else. As such the Lions had no worries making use of the uniform with Mrabure-Ajufo’s name they had for display purposes on draft night, even if it never turns into a big seller at their merchandise store.
2.5 sacks per year in college. Does that translate into an effective pass rusher in the CFL? Or into a 1st round pick in a deep draft year? We will see ... Here's hoping.

It seems he looked good in the McAvoy analytics. Does he have the great speed, quickness and explosiveness, necessary for rush end? Does he have the size and strength at 260 or so to play inside in the CFL?
Buono pulled out a colour-coded draft sheet right after the draft to show he had Mrabure-Ajufo ranked right where the Lions chose him, at fifth overall. Brett Boyko, taken in the second round, was sixth on his chart.
The Lions were not just winging it of course in selecting Mrabure-Ajufo at spot 5 in the 1st round. They had their evaluations and order selection strategies all mapped out, and followed the plan. And it seems Neil McAvoy's analytics weighed heavily in the evaluations.
As usual, the Lions weren’t alone in providing moments of angst in the draft. One traumatized player was SFU’s Lemar Durant, who not only fell out of the first round before being taken 18th overall by Calgary but was the third receiver chosen.

“One of the most shocking things I’ve ever been through,” Durant wrote on his Twitter account.
Angst regarding the draft? Not for this fan. It is always interesting. Our results could be anywhere from great to a bust, in terms of the very strong draft year. We will see.

Tough draft day for Durant. Consolation: going to the Stampeders.
Without drafting a natural replacement, Matt McGarva had already been informed of his release, meaning free agent Chris Rwabukamba will indeed play safety and not cornerback as the Lions had contemplated.
McGarva released. Going with the FA Rwabukamba at Safety.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TORONTO – One of the great mysteries of any draft is how teams rank players on their draft board. Every few years, a “can’t-miss” prospect comes along which every team clamours for. More commonly, teams struggle with the decision of drafting based on positional need versus taking the best talent available.

CFL teams took an interesting approach to the draft this year. Because of the vaunted depth available, franchises opted to secure their own fate by picking the players they wanted, sometimes against the grain of experts and mock drafts. It will takes years before it can be determined what impact these players will make, but every year there are some teams thrilled with the potential diamonds in the rough found in later rounds while others are left scratching their heads as to why they reached for certain talent.

CFL.ca looks at some of the players taken higher than expected on draft night, as well as the names who slipped into later rounds.

RISERS

5th overall – DL Ese Mrabure-Ajufo (BC)

In the biggest shock of the draft, defensive lineman Ese Mrabure-Ajufo was chosen fifth overall out of Wilfrid Laurier.

Ranked 17th overall on the CFL Scouting Bureau’s Top 20, picking Mrabure-Ajufo in the first round seemed like a reach considering he would’ve likely been available when the Lions picked again in the second round.

Even Mrabure-Ajufo himself couldn’t believe it, saying he expected to be picked in the late first or second round.

The price of spending a first round pick seems steep when Mrabure-Ajufo is only projected to be a depth player for the upcoming year, as first round picks are expected to help immediately with little time emphasized on development -- but Mrabure-Ajufo offers some immediate upside as a pure pass-rusher.

Analysts say the Lions could use him in situational pass-rushing situations as he gets acclimated to the CFL game, but ultimately expectations will be high for Mrabure-Ajufo to justify his draft slot. It may take a few years, but the Lions aren’t planning on him making an impact right away anyways.

10th overall – WR Jake Harty (Ott)

Jake Harty is a talented receiver, but the REDBLACKS really went off the board with this pick. Nevermind the fact that the team already spent all off-season upgrading its receiving corps -- what's equally surprising is the fact that Addison Richards and Lemar Durant were still on the board.

No receiver on Ottawa hauled in more than three touchdowns last year, so adding another weapon in the six-foot-two Harty doesn’t hurt. Harty is projected to be used on special teams as well as on the offence, roles he is familiar with after starring in them at the University of Calgary. He recorded 464 yards and three touchdowns last year with the Dinos.

Considering that the REDBLACKS did not have a draft pick until 18 selections later, the choice of Harty, if he truly was their man, is understandable. In terms of a pure rankings standpoint and who else was still on the board, well, that’s where it could be confusing.

16th overall – OL David Beard (Edm)

The selection of the lesser-known Beard in the second round by the Eskimos came as a surprise. He had suffered a hand injury before the Combine and was unable to work out for teams, possibly scaring some away.

The Eskimos’ Vice-President of Football Operations and General Manager Ed Hervey defended the pick, noting Beard’s athleticism with his six-foot-five, 277 pound size. However, Beard has only played two seasons on the offensive line after converting from the defensive side of the ball. Hervey indicated that one of his goals was to develop his o-line players, something he believes needs to be done in the league.

Before being drafted, Beard had some connections to the organization. Two of Beard’s coaches at the University of Alberta included Tim Prinson and Chris Morris, two former Eskimos offensive-lineman, both of whom recommended Beard to Hervey.

It could be a few seasons before Beard makes an impact for Edmonton. Until has hand injury heals and he steps on the field, neither fans nor the Esks will know for certain what kind of player they drafted.

Twists and turns headline 2015 CFL Draft

The 2015 CFL Draft didn't go entirely as drawn up, as some high-ranked players dropped while others were taken earlier than expected.

FALLERS

18th overall – WR Lemar Durant (Cgy)

Durant may be the player who saw his draft stock slip the furthest. Coming into draft night, Durant was the highest-ranked wide receiver on the CFL’s Scouting Bureau list and a projected first-round pick but ended up being the fourth receiver picked.

Appearing in eight games for Simon Fraser last season, Durant totaled 55 catches for 685 yards and four touchdowns. He also rushed the ball four times for 34 yards and a touchdown.

His impressive athleticism showed at the CFL Combine, posting the fastest 40-yard-dash time and highest vertical jump amongst all receivers and fourth-highest overall in both events.

Should Durant’s play echo his initial ranking and the player many think he can be, the Stampeders may have taken the steal of the draft all the way at the end of the second round.

22nd overall – DB Tevaughn Campbell (Cgy)

The second Stamps draftee to appear on the list, Calgary believes it sees something in Campbell that other teams may have missed.

Campbell was the fastest player at the CFL Combine, famously breaking the electronic record in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.36 seconds. Calgary general manager John Hufnagel thinks the speedster can come in and compete immediately but has a long-term goal of development to turn into a starter.

For all of his speed, Campbell will need to add some muscle to be an effective defensive back. At six feet tall and 185 pounds, his strength is something that can be improved upon as he gets into a training regimen in Calgary.

For now, expect Campbell to be used on special teams.

23rd overall – RB Shaquille Murray-Lawrence (BC)

If the Lions ended up reaching in the first-round than they may have found late round value in Murray-Lawrence.

Murray-Lawrence, out of UNLV, came highly recommended by Lions player personnel consultant Roy Shivers.

Like Campbell, the running back is no stranger to speed. Murray-Lawrence led the Rebels last season in rushing yards (552) and touchdowns (nine), and was the team’s second deadliest offensive weapon, averaging 81.1 yards per game.

He led all running backs in the 40-yard-dash at the CFL Combine and could help a Lions attack that had the second-fewest rushing scores last season.

http://cfl.ca/article/3-for-3-the-cfl-d ... est-movers
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting this, TLK.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/3-for-3-the-c ... est-movers
5th overall – DL Ese Mrabure-Ajufo (BC)

In the biggest shock of the draft, defensive lineman Ese Mrabure-Ajufo was chosen fifth overall out of Wilfrid Laurier.

Ranked 17th overall on the CFL Scouting Bureau’s Top 20, picking Mrabure-Ajufo in the first round seemed like a reach considering he would’ve likely been available when the Lions picked again in the second round.

Even Mrabure-Ajufo himself couldn’t believe it, saying he expected to be picked in the late first or second round.

The price of spending a first round pick seems steep when Mrabure-Ajufo is only projected to be a depth player for the upcoming year, as first round picks are expected to help immediately with little time emphasized on development -- but Mrabure-Ajufo offers some immediate upside as a pure pass-rusher.

Analysts say the Lions could use him in situational pass-rushing situations as he gets acclimated to the CFL game, but ultimately expectations will be high for Mrabure-Ajufo to justify his draft slot. It may take a few years, but the Lions aren’t planning on him making an impact right away anyways.
Two considerations (amongst others):

1 ... Very good chance he would have been available to the Lions in the 2nd round. So they gave up the chance to draft more of sure thing, or a higher rated, more proven player, in round one. (no guarantees of course).

2 ... Can he rush the passer as well as the Lions think?
23rd overall – RB Shaquille Murray-Lawrence (BC)

If the Lions ended up reaching in the first-round than they may have found late round value in Murray-Lawrence.

Murray-Lawrence, out of UNLV, came highly recommended by Lions player personnel consultant Roy Shivers.

Like Campbell, the running back is no stranger to speed. Murray-Lawrence led the Rebels last season in rushing yards (552) and touchdowns (nine), and was the team’s second deadliest offensive weapon, averaging 81.1 yards per game.

He led all running backs in the 40-yard-dash at the CFL Combine and could help a Lions attack that had the second-fewest rushing scores last season.
And this pick may have fallen down the lists into our hands.

As BCFAN has pointed out, the draft can be a crapshoot. But it seems to me judging the "horseflesh" is still an art or a skill that some have to a superior degree. And their teams show it with depth and talent. Even aside from judging the talent, there is the strategy of deciding when you have to pull the trigger on a certain player. It seems the Lions thought highly enough of Ese M-A that they dared not risk waiting until round 2. Was that desperation, or a wise move? A misjudgment or sharp analysis? We will see ...