Riders reportedly offer Mike Benevides DC position

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/so ... es-dc-job/
Source: Riders offer Benevides DC job

Ex-BC Lions head coach Mike Benevides. (Jason Franson/CP)

Arash Madani

December 29, 2014, 6:15 PM

Mike Benevides won two Grey Cup rings as the defensive coordinator of the BC Lions. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are hoping he can bring a third to Regina.

Sportsnet has learned the Riders have offered Benevides their defensive coordinator post. Sources suggested Benevides is considering the position, and likely won’t make a decision until the new year. With Benevides and his family living in suburban Vancouver, the Riders will likely remain patient for the next couple of weeks until Benevides decides his next step.

Benevides was fired as the BC Lions head coach in November, following the team’s playoff loss in Montreal.

Richie Hall, who was Saskatchewan’s defensive coordinator last season, remains on the Riders staff — for now. Hall was demoted, but not fired, at the conclusion of the 2014 campaign in Regina. He is in the mix for the vacancy in Winnipeg for the coordinator job with the Blue Bombers. Benevides was in the conversation for the same position on Mike O’Shea’s staff.

As of Monday morning, sources told Sportsnet there had been no progress on the defensive coordinator search in Winnipe‎g.

Benevides may not be the only member of last season’s Lions staff that may be headed to Saskatchewan. His offensive coordinator, Khari Jones, may return to the Riders as quarterbacks coach. Jones is unlikely to return to BC next season with the Lions hiring Jeff Tedford to replace Benevides as head coach.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Benny and Jacques together in Regina?

Both good guys. I wish them both well.

JC's resume as OC shows much accomplishment.

For me, as a Lions' fan, in Benny's time as DC, it seemed to me our defence was just vanilla. Be interesting to see how he would do in Saskachewan.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Benevides may not be the only member of last season’s Lions staff that may be headed to Saskatchewan. His offensive coordinator, Khari Jones, may return to the Riders as quarterbacks coach. Jones is unlikely to return to BC next season with the Lions hiring Jeff Tedford to replace Benevides as head coach.
I thought Jones has decided to remain with BC
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
I don't get that either...
Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani #CFL update: Khari Jones was in the mix for Sask's QB coach job. Sources tell me BC offered Khari a gig on Tedford's staff and he'll take it

Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani With Khari Jones staying in BC, makes total sense that George Cortez will be the Lions offensive coordinator. Tedford connection, etc. #CFL

Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani Per #CFL sources: Kelly Bates is out as RB coach and draft coordinator of the Lions. Jeff Tedford's regime getting underway.
This from the other day, doesn't add up since both reports of KJ staying and KJ leaving are from Arash Madani...???
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

Okay here is the follow up on the KJ situation, at least this hour.
Arash Madani @ArashMadani
Follow

#CFL update: Khari Jones was in the mix for Sask's QB coach job. Sources tell me BC offered Khari a gig on Tedford's staff and he'll take it
8:25 PM - 29 Dec 2014
notahomer
Hall of Famer

If he decides to take it.... I'll be happy for Benevides. Sure will be weird seeing him in green :dizzy:

As for KJ... Not the first time its happened but it woulda been different seeing a previous Lions OC (Chaps) working with the guy who replaced him (KJ)......
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Yes. The original Madani story Monday morning (quoted in this thread) said Jones could return to the Riders. That appeared to be pure speculation. Someone in the Rider organization must have tipped him that Jones has decided instead to accept a position with B.C. That's when he posted his tweets Monday night about Jones coming back and Bates being out. Madani is well-connected to Rider sources and Bates is a Saskatchewan boy and onetime Rider.

I don't expect to see any information released or leaked by the Lions these days since the whole organization is in hibernation for the holidays.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Jones as our QB coach would be fine, Khari has succeeded at that role before, but letting go of Kelly Bates is a mistake. He has done halcyon work with the RBs (a position he has never played) and an incredible job with our draft! Bates should be given a chance as our NEW OLINE Coach!

As for Benny, he has not succeeded at any level as a coach...this is a mistake by SSK and a big help to the Lions IMO. I liked their hiring of JC as the OC, as with a good OLine, JC should have success, but going from Ritchie Hall to Mike Benevides will be a BIG drop for the Roughies...

The key right now is getting rid of Dorazio and McMann...if Tedford is talked out of these moves, I will be rethinking my Lion's participation for the future!

Tedford was a good first step for the Lions, but it doesn't solve anything just yet...the ASST. Coaches around the league have become quite good as well and we must get better! We don't have a QB as of yet and our DLine is a mess IMO. The next month will be a crucial one for the Lions!

Happy New Year everyone!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Jones as our QB coach would be fine, Khari has succeeded at that role before, but letting go of Kelly Bates is a mistake. He has done halcyon work with the RBs (a position he has never played) and an incredible job with our draft! Bates should be given a chance as our NEW OLINE Coach!

As for Benny, he has not succeeded at any level as a coach...this is a mistake by SSK and a big help to the Lions IMO. I liked their hiring of JC as the OC, as with a good OLine, JC should have success, but going from Ritchie Hall to Mike Benevides will be a BIG drop for the Roughies...

The key right now is getting rid of Dorazio and McMann...if Tedford is talked out of these moves, I will be rethinking my Lion's participation for the future!

Tedford was a good first step for the Lions, but it doesn't solve anything just yet...the ASST. Coaches around the league have become quite good as well and we must get better! We don't have a QB as of yet and our DLine is a mess IMO. The next month will be a crucial one for the Lions!

Benevides had his struggles as a DC, but seemed to be getting a good grasp after Stubler helped tutor him. I am just hoping the tutoring wasn't enough and Benevides doesn't find any magic in the role of DC for the Riders. I do know that the Riders would not be the same blitzing team that they have been in the past, and that can't hurt the Lions QB's survival rate.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:Jones as our QB coach would be fine, Khari has succeeded at that role before, but letting go of Kelly Bates is a mistake. He has done halcyon work with the RBs (a position he has never played) and an incredible job with our draft! Bates should be given a chance as our NEW OLINE Coach!

Wally talked about the Lions getting new young coaches with fresh ideas. If Dorazio and McMann stay then it will have Wally's finger prints all over it. For me I will go from the elation of signing a HC of Tedford's caliber to the depression of knowing nothing has really changed. Lions won't get me buying tickets to watch the same old same old under performing O line and STs.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Benny as Riders DC is great news....for our running game.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I actually wish the guy well.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How many of our former coaches do they want? JC -- check. Benny? Khari? Dan Dorazio?

Kelly Bates to the Riders? Noooooo ... LOL

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Perhaps the Riders would like JR Larose :wink:
Bosco
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps the Riders would like JR Larose :wink:

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Happy New Year!
Blitz
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Perhaps the Riders would like JR Larose :wink:

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Happy New Year!
Wonder what we could get for him? :wink: :wink:

The Riders look like they will have the offensive and defensive coordinators of the winning team of the 2011 Grey Cup.

If Benevedes goes to Riderville, it will be interesting to see how he runs his defense. Benevedes ran a very vanilla D and early in 2011, he tried the ill fated 3-4 defense with the wrong personell in early 2011. Later in 2011, after switching back to a 4-3 base, he finally went with a 5 man defensive line rotation and late in the season he used the 6 man defensive line.

Of course, we all know that conservative defense is what Wally has liked to it will be interesting to see if Benevedes still runs that type of defense in Saskatchewan.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)