Assistant Coaching Staff Changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich updates the assistant coaching staff changes. Kelly Bates was on a family vacation in Hawaii when he got word he won't be brought back. Some excerpts:
Also coming to the Lions, according to a source, is Riders offensive line coach Doug Malone, who worked alongside Cortez in Saskatchewan and Hamilton. Dorazio is a top candidate to replace Malone and rejoin new Riders offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine. Benevides, according to reports, also has a Riders job offer.

Tedford will also be bringing along son Quinn as an offensive quality-control coach. The younger Tedford remained with the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a similar capacity last season after his father took a medical leave of absence that turned his career path in the direction of the Lions.

The defensive assistants under Mark Washington are all expected to return, but there will be collateral damage to the undervalued component that is non-import scouting because of the Lions’ offensive ineffectiveness.
Trade Dorazio for Malone? Change is good. My impression is that the Riders O Line has been physical and aggressive. Pass protection? Dunno. Malone has had an interesting journey as a coach.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Bates is quoted in the article as saying (about his firing) "it's professional sports; you can't be upset".

But as a fan I can be upset and I am. Bates did an outstanding job as Draft Co-coordinator so now I expect a drop off in Nat player starters and depth going forward.

Tedford has made his first big mistake as a Lions HC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This is disappointing. No interview and clearly a downgrade in hunting out Canadian talent.
Bates wasn’t the only assistant expecting change but was at least hoping to receive an interview to make a case for maintaining the Canadian scouting process, which resulted in several unproductive years until 2012 when he took the job.

“We all know what happened. Jeff as a coach has his choice of who he wants on his staff. I get that,” said Bates, who had his choice of three other CFL jobs prior to last season but stayed on with the promise by the Lions he would replace Dorazio.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Certainly, we could have kept Bates as our running backs coach, even if we wanted to hire Malone as OL coach.. Tedford has offered the OC job to Cortez but, as in California, it likely won't be the old Calgary offence we've used in the past/spread offence that Cortez has used in Saskatchewan....likley more a combination of power and spread elements that Chap eventually evolved towards and Tedford favored over time at California.

We certainly could very much miss Bates work at the CFL draft. His record in drafting was so much better than Benevedes record. Looks like we could keep McMann to do some work in that capacity....which doesn't inspire. Tedford will be bringing his son to work with him, in the same role that Quinn worked for Tampa Bay this year.

Looks like all the defensive assistants will be back. I anticipated that Washington would be returning and Khari Jones would also, in a different role, not that either of them excite me but perhaps they will grow under Tedford. Hopefully we will run more of a Ritchie style defense or even a Stubler style defense that he ran in Calgary this season than the vanila Buono/Benevedes style of defense that we ran last season and the conservative style of defense that both favor.

Sad for Kelly Bates, who had 3 offers from other teams last season but chose to stay on with our Leos, with the promise of the OL coach in the future. Bates won't be out of work for long.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish ...
Offensive line coach Dan Dorazio, receivers coach Joe Paopao and running backs coach/CFL draft coordinator Kelly Bates appear to be headed elsewhere when their contracts expire on Jan. 31.

“I don’t want to be too specific about what has been reported,” Buono said Monday. “There are going to be some retained (from fired head coach Mike Benevides’ staff) and some who won’t be retained. The names that have been bandied around (leaving) are pretty much correct. Jeff has a pretty broad background with coaches, whether from the States or the CFL, and he’s determined who he wants. I think it’s a nice blend.”

Though Tedford has his men in place, Buono said it is too early to confirm where everyone sits after the game of musical chairs, with contracts still in the process of being delivered, signed and returned.

Tedford remains in Florida (he resigned as offensive coordinator with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in December) and is in daily communication with Buono. The new coach will attend the East-West Shrine Game in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Jan. 17 and the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., a week later before returning to Vancouver to announce his staff.

Speculation is pervasive that George Cortez, the fired offensive coordinator of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, will be re-united with Tedford. Cortez was the OC and quarterbacks coach of the California Golden Bears from 2002-2005 when Tedford was the team’s head coach.

“There’s an extensive relationship there,” Buono said. “Jeff and John Hufnagel interviewed George (in 1992, with the Stampeders) and brought him in to Calgary.”
Cortez was offered the OC here last year. Turned it down. This year it looks like he will be coming to B.C. I have no problem with Cortez working with Tedford. Could be very good.

If the defensive staff returns (Mark W, Holland and Hairston), this fan has no problem with that either. More of an attacking philosophy would be desired of course.

Gonna miss Kelly Bates. He had energy and what seemed like a very positive attitude. Friendly, smiling, but clear in his expectations. And it certainly seems as if he was instrumental in the Lions making many solid draft choices recently.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
aklawitter
All Star

cortez confirmed as OC
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

aklawitter wrote:cortez confirmed as OC
Per News1130 Sports:
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
Just talked with #BCLions head coach Jeff Tedford who has confirmed the hiring of offensive co-ordinater George Cortez.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 18m18 minutes ago
Tedford on letting go 3 coaches : "It's important for my new hires to have ability to bring in guys they have worked with."
Big Time
Champion

Quinn Tedford being brought in as "offensive quality-control coach"? What exactly does that mean? Starting to think Tedford's two year deal was to try and groom his son to become an HC at some point.

As for the other coaching changes, I'm actually happy to see Dorazio go. Seen enough RB's running into walls, and enough QB's suffer massive blindside hits to think that change was massively needed. Chap took a lot of heat for his offense when he was here but Dorazio was a big factor in a lot of the problems. The O-Line has been average at best for most of the Buono era. Any change is good in this department IMO.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would be nice if Chapdelaine and Dorazio work the same magic in Regina as they did in BC :wink: :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Big Time wrote:Quinn Tedford being brought in as "offensive quality-control coach"? What exactly does that mean? Starting to think Tedford's two year deal was to try and groom his son to become an HC at some point.

As for the other coaching changes, I'm actually happy to see Dorazio go. Seen enough RB's running into walls, and enough QB's suffer massive blindside hits to think that change was massively needed. Chap took a lot of heat for his offense when he was here but Dorazio was a big factor in a lot of the problems. The O-Line has been average at best for most of the Buono era. Any change is good in this department IMO.
Lots of NFL teams and some CFL teams use a quality control guy to analyze and break down game film. So it is a bit of a flunky type job but very useful as it allows the OC or DC to focus on other things as otherwise they might be doing this function.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Per Farhan Lalji on Twitter, Chuck McMann stays as special teams coach and takes over running backs from Kelly Bates.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Per Farhan Lalji on Twitter, Chuck McMann stays as special teams coach and takes over running backs from Kelly Bates.
What the hell? Our special teams has been terrible. How did he manage to retain his job?
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Per Farhan Lalji on Twitter, Chuck McMann stays as special teams coach and takes over running backs from Kelly Bates.
II am absolutely stunned!! :dizzy: :shock: :puke:

If McMann had been let go, no other team would have been interested in him and he said he would retire if he was let go. In the meantime, we drop Bates, who did a good job with our running backs and was an excellent draft coordinator and is being offered jobs across the CFL. Go figure. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Maybe McMann came at least twice as cheap as Bates or offered janitorial services as an extra duty that made him invaluable. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

DL coach Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston has also not been retained by the club, according their own press release this afternoon.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:DL coach Carl "Big Daddy" Hairston has also not been retained by the club, according their own press release this afternoon.

DH :cool:
This one doesn't surprise. Hairston certainly did not fill the shoes of Randy Melvin. I agree with all the changes so far, except for the release of Bates, to be replaced by McMann, who will now coach our running backs as well as special team and fetch and run errands and.....and....