Assistant Coaching Staff Changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
South Pender wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Coach Hairston may have been on a contract expiring 31 December 2014 unlike others that expired end of January 2015. In any event, he advised the club he would be retiring as of 01 January 2015.
Wouldn't it be great if we could get Randy Melvin back!
It would have been appropriate and respectful, if Hairston was retiring, that the LIons announced it that way, rather than the statement that he was not retained.

I totally agree that it would be wonderful if we could get Randy Melvin back. You can sure bet that Melvin made a heck of a lot more money coaching at Tampa Bay in 2012 and 2013 that coaching with our Leos. He is at Florida International now. I don't anticipate him coming back to B;C. South Pender, as cool as that would be. Melvin has 7 years of NFL experience and a ton of college coaching experience on his resume.

It will be interesting to see who we hire as our defensive line coach. You can bet Tedford has a list. At least it looks like we've retained Johnny Holland for next season...he did the best job of all of our assistants last year.
Good point on Hairston, that lumping in of being released is more for the Lions to look like they are being progressive in shipping out the old and waiting for the new to be announced. As for him moving on, best of luck along with all the others. Sadly the Lions are retaining McMann.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html

From Mike Beamish ...
“There’s an extensive relationship there,” Buono said. “Jeff and John Hufnagel interviewed George (in 1992, with the Stampeders) and brought him in to Calgary.”
If Tedford and Hufnagel interviewed George Cortez for the Stamps back in '92, I wonder if they were also involved in Chuck McMann's hiring in Calgary that same year. That would help explain why McMann is being retained by Tedford.
Dusty
Champion

Coach Hairston may have been on a contract expiring 31 December 2014 unlike others that expired end of January 2015. In any event, he advised the club he would be retiring as of 01 January 2015.[/quote]

It would have been appropriate and respectful, if Hairston was retiring, that the LIons announced it that way, rather than the statement that he was not retained.

[/quote]

Technically the statement was that Coach Hairston (and others) "would not return to the team in 2015' so it could be argued that the wording "not retained" is inaccurate. Especially, if Hairston's contract expired before the others. Although, I agree that it would have been respectful to mention that. I wish him well .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coaches don't have pensions so there is no retirement in the traditional sense. Many keep coaching well into their 70s. Hairston just turned 62. I have no knowledge of his financial situation but he has bounced around as a coach for over 20 years. If someone came to him with an offer, I would expect him to accept it. That's what career coaches do.
Dusty
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Coaches don't have pensions so there is no retirement in the traditional sense. Many keep coaching well into their 70s. Hairston just turned 62. I have no knowledge of his financial situation but he has bounced around as a coach for over 20 years. If someone came to him with an offer, I would expect him to accept it. That's what career coaches do.
I imagine that Coach Hairston has a NFL pension from his playing days. I would not be surprised at all to see him coaching in the future at some level in Arizona when he relocates there.
Dusty
Champion

Dusty wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Coaches don't have pensions so there is no retirement in the traditional sense. Many keep coaching well into their 70s. Hairston just turned 62. I have no knowledge of his financial situation but he has bounced around as a coach for over 20 years. If someone came to him with an offer, I would expect him to accept it. That's what career coaches do.
I imagine that Coach Hairston has a NFL pension from his playing days. I would not be surprised at all to see him coaching in the future at some level in Arizona when he relocates there.
Having thought about what BCFan said, I think he may be onto something. Career coaches follow or go to the job. One way to look at a coach "retiring" is that they retire to a state... or city... or place to live... If something comes up where they have retired to... they might consider coming "out of retirement".... If someone came to Hairston with an offer that meant he would relocate his family away from his retirement "location", and if he truly is retired, he would reject it. Coaching is a time-demanding business. He may be done with it... or done with it, for now... While it is easy to take a break from a job, it can be hard to give up your passion...