Dick Thornton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Passes at age 75

http://cfl.ca/article/the-cfl-mourns-th ... k-thornton

"Tricky Dicky" was one of the real characters in the CFL. Heck of a defensive back.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Thorton was a great two way player. I don't think he is in the HOF, but he should be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Yes, a great two way player as so many were in those days and one of the reasons back in those days you didn't see DBs dropping simply INTs as often DBs were Halfback on offense or QBs like Jackie Parker, Kenny Ploen.

Today it disgusts me to see so many easy INTs by DBs. It blows my mind watching Lion practices in 05-07 to not see DBs catching balls and practicing what to do when u INT the ball.

Thornton was someone I admired as did my other football playing pals.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

A Classic football player and a very good one! Now Dick is on to his next adventure!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
peeby
Starter

I'm at an age now where a number of my boyhood heroes are passing on. Not sure I like it. I recall Dick Thornton very well. He was on one of the best football teams ever assembled in the CFL, and he was one of the best players on that team. People who follow football these days may not realize that the CFL was more competitive salary-wise with the NFL in the old days. Some of the American players who chose to come up here could have had good NFL careers. Dick Thornton would be one. The Blue Bombers used to use him to cover Hugh Campbell of the Riders one on one. I'm pretty sure Dick Thornton also played QB the odd time for the Bombers, plus receiver. He may even have filled in for the place-kicker once or twice. A very versatile player. I am sorry to hear of his passing.