Riders name Chapdelaine new Offensive Coordinator

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Best wishes, Jacques ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.riderville.com/

Riders Name Chapdelaine Offensive Co-ordinator 2014-12-19 00:00:00
The Saskatchewan Roughriders today announced the hiring of Jacques Chapdelaine as offensive co-ordinator.

The veteran coach has spent 13 seasons coaching in the Canadian Football League after originally entering as special teams co-ordinator and receivers coach with the Calgary Stampeders in 2001. The next season Chapdelaine was named as the Stamps offensive co-ordinator.

The 53-year-old went on to spend ten of the next 11 seasons (2003-2006, 2008-2013) with the BC Lions including six years as offensive co-ordinator. He spent the 2007 season with the Edmonton Eskimos as assistant head coach and offensive co-ordinator.

Through eight seasons as the head signal caller, Chapdelaine’s teams have compiled a 79-64-1 record, playing in four division finals, winning two grey Cups.

Chapdelaine joins the Green and White after spending last year as head coach at his alma mater Simon Fraser University in the NCAA’s Great Northwest Athletic Conference. As a player, Chapdelaine starred with the SFU Clan in the 1980’s before moving on to a seven year career in the CFL making stops in BC, Montreal, Hamilton and Calgary.
I wonder if Durant was consulted. He strikes me as one guy who must be consulted first or it will fail.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.riderville.com/

Riders Name Chapdelaine Offensive Co-ordinator 2014-12-19 00:00:00
The Saskatchewan Roughriders today announced the hiring of Jacques Chapdelaine as offensive co-ordinator.

The veteran coach has spent 13 seasons coaching in the Canadian Football League after originally entering as special teams co-ordinator and receivers coach with the Calgary Stampeders in 2001. The next season Chapdelaine was named as the Stamps offensive co-ordinator.

The 53-year-old went on to spend ten of the next 11 seasons (2003-2006, 2008-2013) with the BC Lions including six years as offensive co-ordinator. He spent the 2007 season with the Edmonton Eskimos as assistant head coach and offensive co-ordinator.

Through eight seasons as the head signal caller, Chapdelaine’s teams have compiled a 79-64-1 record, playing in four division finals, winning two grey Cups.

Chapdelaine joins the Green and White after spending last year as head coach at his alma mater Simon Fraser University in the NCAA’s Great Northwest Athletic Conference. As a player, Chapdelaine starred with the SFU Clan in the 1980’s before moving on to a seven year career in the CFL making stops in BC, Montreal, Hamilton and Calgary.
I wonder if Durant was consulted. He strikes me as one guy who must be consulted first or it will fail.
It was surprising to see the Riders dump both Cortez and Hall.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Blitz
Team Captain

While Blitz has shown how the reincarnate JC has run the BC offense well I wonder how much the problems were with the lack of coherence with the OL coach.

If it were an orchestra it'd be like having the violinists under the Concert Master and a second performer from the second violinists in charge of half of those players plus accountable to the Conductor. The sound might not be in synch if they interpret the composer's work differently. Toppy Vann
Plus, for certain songs Toppy, you would have the Wally also conducting without the ability to read music. :wink:

I think because we were such an unsuccessful franchise, in terms of winning seasons and Grey Cup appearances for so long in our Leos history....and enjoyed more winning seasons in the past decade or so....we've also been blinded at times at how CWAAAAAZY its also been at times over the past decade too.

Tedford, I believe, will change a lot of that...or I'm sure hoping.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Rehashing JCs past is tiresome. There's over a decade's worth of postings on here that detail the team's limitations on offense, particularly in the portion of the last decade when this team could have had an epic and dominating run at the top of the league. Offensive stubbornness in 2005, in particular cost us a chance at a Grey Cup championship.

I was not, and still am not, impressed with his distinct inability to adjust in game. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. And once you punched him in the mouth, he couldn't punch back nearly as good as most of his peers.

But boy, he could design drag routes that required QBs to hold onto the ball for too long and frequently required inside slot receivers to take shots to the head that shortened their careers.

Those trips formations where Geroy Simon was kept in to block blitzing linebackers were pretty cool too. That's a great way to utilize talent.

Tight Ends? Meh? Whatever. Hey Lyle Green, go grab us some coffee.

He wasn't better than his predecessor. This wasn't all on Dorazio (who I'm more than happy to let go of, also). I didn't miss him when he left. I don't miss him now. And I'm betting Ricky Ray doesn't either.

But please, revisionist history away.
JohnHenry
Champion

cromartie wrote:Rehashing JCs past is tiresome. There's over a decade's worth of postings on here that detail the team's limitations on offense, particularly in the portion of the last decade when this team could have had an epic and dominating run at the top of the league. Offensive stubbornness in 2005, in particular cost us a chance at a Grey Cup championship.

I was not, and still am not, impressed with his distinct inability to adjust in game. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. And once you punched him in the mouth, he couldn't punch back nearly as good as most of his peers.

But boy, he could design drag routes that required QBs to hold onto the ball for too long and frequently required inside slot receivers to take shots to the head that shortened their careers.

Those trips formations where Geroy Simon was kept in to block blitzing linebackers were pretty cool too. That's a great way to utilize talent.

Tight Ends? Meh? Whatever. Hey Lyle Green, go grab us some coffee.

He wasn't better than his predecessor. This wasn't all on Dorazio (who I'm more than happy to let go of, also). I didn't miss him when he left. I don't miss him now. And I'm betting Ricky Ray doesn't either.

But please, revisionist history away.
Well said, cro...I wonder if Rider's Ambassador Geroy Simon had some input in Chaps hiring? I know the Rider braintrust was very impressed with Chaps masterful game plan in the 2013 WSF, which had the Riders defence completely off-balance...until the Lions ran out of gas in the 4th Q. :roar:
Rammer
Team Captain

Chapdelaine will stand on his own now in Saskatchewan and if he thinks that a poor offense was met with dismay here, in Saskatchewan they know where you live.

I don't know what limitations Wally and company may have placed on JC if any, but he knew that he had their loyalty in exchange for that. In Regina, while he will have support, but the tolerance for error is going to be rather small and the pressure amped up from coaching with his buddies. Not sure that Chaps performs well under pressure, but I am certain that we will see Chapdelaine feeling that pressure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Chapdelaine will stand on his own now in Saskatchewan and if he thinks that a poor offense was met with dismay here, in Saskatchewan they know where you live.
Yikes. LOL ... And you can get a surprise delivery to your front lawn, whether you have gardening needs or not.

I can well imagine football in Regina is a pressure cooker. Much beyond laidback B.C.

Blitz
Team Captain

Whether he was the best choice or not, depending on one's view, the Saskatchewn Rough Riders certainly pursued Chapdelaine hard and he was their choice over LaPolice. The article in the Regina Leader post below was written prior to Chapdelaine being confired as OC

Riders still talking with Chapdelaine

GM says don't rule out LaPolice

By Ian Hamilton, Leader-Post December 19, 2014

Riders still talking with Chapdelaine

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are pursuing Jacques Chapdelaine, but his hiring is not a done deal.

General manager Brendan Taman told a media gathering Thursday at Mosaic Stadium the CFL team is negotiating with Chapdelaine in hopes of luring him to Regina to become Saskatchewan's offensive co-ordinator.

But Taman noted the Roughriders "don't have an agreement with anybody" at the moment, although head coach Corey Chamblin is working on the issue daily.

"(Chapdelaine) has an agent representing him and he and Corey have been delivering and exchanging ideas back and forth for a number of days," Taman said. "That continues. "They have their work cut out still from what I can gather. We'll stay tuned, but they are talking, so we'll see where it goes."

The Roughriders have been in the market for an offensive co-ordinator since letting the contract of George Cortez lapse in the off-season.

Chapdelaine, who spent the 2014 season as the head coach of the Simon Fraser University Clan, has an extensive resume as an offensive co-ordinator in the CFL. His resignation from SFU Wednesday seemed to imply he was on his way to Saskatchewan.

But Taman cautioned another candidate - former Roughriders offensive coordinator and current TSN analyst Paul LaPolice - shouldn't be ruled out yet.

"Corey's got a plan and how that plan gets executed, we'll see," Taman said. "But (LaPolice) was right there to the finish line and we'll see where it goes. We didn't bring Paul in here for an interview just to do it."

The Roughriders have already told longtime defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall he won't have that job next season, but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers may be interested in having him fill that role.

Taman confirmed the Roughriders have given Winnipeg permission to talk to Hall about the job. The Bombers need a replacement for Gary Etcheverry, who was fired Wednesday.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

NO deal yet and it's being handled via Chamblin and not Taman which is a bit interesting unless this pertains to football and coaching issues
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder how long before Durant and others are laughing at Chapdelaine's hand signals ?
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder how long before Durant and others are laughing at Chapdelaine's hand signals ?
And Rider fans are signalling back?
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:NO deal yet and it's being handled via Chamblin and not Taman which is a bit interesting unless this pertains to football and coaching issues
It is a done deal Toppy, Chaps is signed sealed and about to understand small town enthusiasm.

http://980.greenzonefootball.com/sto...dinator/487287

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have officially named their new offensive coordinator.

As the Green Zone reported on Wednesday, Jacques Chapdelaine will take control of the team's offence in 2015. Chapdelaine will be taking over for George Cortez who held the position for the last two seasons.

Chapdelaine spent the last season as head coach of the football program at Simon Fraser University. At the time, it was a job he said he was committed to. That being said, a year later, this new job felt like a better fit for him on many levels.

"From a professional direction, from a personal direction and from a contractual direction, it all indicated to me that Saskatchewan was a great a decision to make and I'm glad that I'm here today," he said.

Chapdelaine did admit the deal was for at least a couple of seasons with some parameters to extend it. Overall, he feels like the security was actually better as the Riders' offensive coordinator than being head coach at the NCAA level.

However, Chapdelaine wasn't openly looking for a new job but did keep an eye on what was going on in with the Riders before he got a call from head coach Corey Chamblin one day.

From there he had some open conversations with Chamblin and even some of the players. Conversations Chapdelaine felt were very positive.

Especially his chats with quarterback Darian Durant.

"I'm not going to put words in (Durant's) mouth but I think it felt good both ways. Certainly from a football point of view, sharing the thoughts, we were both excited about what could be done here together," he said.

The Riders have been looking for an offensive coordinator since basically the season came to an end. Shortly after it was announced that Cortez would not be back in 2015.

This search may have been going on for some time but Chamblin has had his eye on Chapdelaine for even longer.

"Jacques had actually been on my mind as long as I've been a head coach. He's a guy that I've always had on my list for and that I've had great respect for," said Chamblin.

Heading into the West semifinal in 2013 Chamblin actually watched all of the film available on Chapdelaine since 2011. At that point he felt confident that they were completely prepared for everything the Lions offence could do.

"He can't come with anything new and he came with some things new. What that showed me is he has the ability to change and adapt and do whatever he needs to do to get a win," said Chamblin.

Chapdelaine has spent 13 seasons in the CFL since he joined the league in 2001 as the Calgary Stampeders special teams coordinator and receivers' coach. He would be named the Stamps offensive coordinator in 2002.

After that, the now 53-year-old spend 10 of the next 11 seasons with the B.C. Lions. Chapdelaine would be the Lions' offensive coordinator for six of those seasons. The one year Chapdelaine wasn't in B.C., he was the Eskimos assistant head coach and offensive coordinator in 2007.

During his eight seasons as a CFL offensive coordinator, Chapdelaine won two Grey Cups.

Chapdelaine played seven seasons in the CFL with B.C., Montreal, Hamilton and Calgary.

As for the rest of the coaching staff, Chamblin told the Green Zone on Friday he expects Bob Dyce to return as the team's special teams coordinator in 2015 but they might hire an assistant for him. Dyce had an assistant in 2013 when the Riders had one of the best punt cover unit in the league.

Chamblin also expects to name a defensive coordinator before the New Year. Mike Benevides is one name on the list of potential candidates there along with two others with CFL experience.

The team also has a list of potential quarterback's coaches. Some of which are currently employed by CFL teams. So, they are waiting to seek permission to speak to them first.

Tune into the Green Zone on Friday afternoon to hear Jamie Nye go one-on-one with Chamblin and Chapdelaine.
Rammer
Team Captain

Interesting tweet....

Jamie Nye @jamienye
Follow

7. Chapdelaine admits he is pass first - knows the stats have him at between 60-70% pass and 30-40% run. #Riders

Not sure that the Riders receivers are up to that ability other than Dressler.
South Pender
Legend

Well, I find this interesting. It would appear that Chaps is highly-regarded in Saskabush, anyway, which is saying something given the Riders' very competitive tradition. That the Riders regard him as an upgrade over Cortez should, perhaps, be taken into account as we (or at least some) contemplate a Cortez landing as OC in Lotusland.