Riders name Chapdelaine new Offensive Coordinator

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Doesn't anyone get the fact that he signed a three-year deal at his alma mater and cut and run after less than a year, leaving the assistants and the department to mop up after his boat left the port?

Here's a guy who, at his SFU press conference talked about God directing him to that job. Well, I guess God is either fickle, wrong or not much of a football fan.

He went into the recruiting field and talked to high school graduates about taking the most important step of their lives along with the commitment that entails. Then, with his first opportunity he leaves ASAP.

You folks can say all you want about a move back to the pros. In my opinion it is morally and ethically bankrupt to break your commitment to 70 young men, and the school which created the foundation for your career in such expedient and hypocritical fashion.

From where I sit, Chapdelaine deserves nothing but scorn from the BC football community.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jim Mullin wrote:Doesn't anyone get the fact that he signed a three-year deal at his alma mater and cut and run after less than a year, leaving the assistants and the department to mop up after his boat left the port?

Here's a guy who, at his SFU press conference talked about God directing him to that job. Well, I guess God is either fickle, wrong or not much of a football fan.

He went into the recruiting field and talked to high school graduates about taking the most important step of their lives along with the commitment that entails. Then, with his first opportunity he leaves ASAP.

You folks can say all you want about a move back to the pros. In my opinion it is morally and ethically bankrupt to break your commitment to 70 young men, and the school which created the foundation for your career in such expedient and hypocritical fashion.

From where I sit, Chapdelaine deserves nothing but scorn from the BC football community.
This is football. Coaches move when a better opportunity comes along. It doesn't matter whether it's SFU or Alabama, CFL or NFL. It happens in all walks of life. Nothing anyone says to the contrary when they're hired means anything.

As for SFU, I'm happy to see the school suffer after abandoning the CIS for the NCAA. That sounds uncharitable, but I'll never forgive them for that. I was happy when UBC decided against such a move after receiving a lot of pressure from supporters and alumni. (Full disclosure: I'm one of those UBC alumni.)
South Pender
Legend

Well, at least he didn't do a Bobby Petrino and leave before the season was over. I tend to agree with B.C.FAN; leaving from an athletic contract early and at the end of a season is commonplace and not really scorn-worthy any more, if it ever was.
The_Pauser
Legend

Jim Mullin wrote:Doesn't anyone get the fact that he signed a three-year deal at his alma mater and cut and run after less than a year, leaving the assistants and the department to mop up after his boat left the port?

I agree with this. Especially when we are talking about college football where there's more of a commitment to the program and your players that you recruited, than at the pro level. Had he left in year 2 maybe it's not so bad, but to do so after only one year? It really looks like he just took the job that was available to him after the Lions let him go, and as you state, the first opportunity that came up for him he bolted.
Roar you Lions roar!
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

This is football?

One year. Even those other programs of which you speak are built on some mutual commitment at the college and university level.

I'd submit that the relationship between coach, player and organization is far different in college/uni than it is in the pros.

I would somewhat agree that from a CIS POV there's a level of schadenfreude to see what they are going through. At the end of the day, there's the majority of a program who have been lied to. His talk on day one were in contrast with his actions 10 months later.

Maicocia could have gone back to pro as an OC but didn't. At least he understands the value of community and the dynamic of commitment in an intercollegiate environment.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I see both sides. If you stay on principle, there is no guarantee that there is going to be a position available when you feel that it is appropriate to leave. If you do leave, you have committed your former employer to the whole process of searching for his replacement after only 1 year. But for all we know, SFU took on Chapdelaine fully realizing that it was likely that he would get poached by a Pro team before too long. Not unlike what we might have happen with our new coach if the NFL comes calling with millions on the line. It does make talk about dedication and commitment from Chapdelaine a bit two faced but I can understand it too.

Several years ago I applied for a tech job with Fisheries and Oceans. I was short listed for upcoming positions but was given no hints about when I might get called if ever. In the meantime I took a job with a computer shop and started working. After about 6 weeks, fisheries called. I was very confounded about what to do. I had just spent about 4 weeks getting up to speed on the position and was conflicted about the time and energy my employer had put in if only to see me leave after having done that. It didn't seem fair or right. I decided to stay because morally I felt it was the right thing to do but I regret much of it today. After a year, the company went under, I gave up a very lucrative opportunity at a Fed. Gov. job and wasn't ever able to to make that up again. My ethics cost me many thousands of dollars. Fortunately, I was in a position to afford it but that is not true for all. So say what you might about ole JC but not knowing his particular circumstances, I can appreciate why he might have chosen to bolt after only 1 season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

He could have sat out a year. He could have taken an OC job with a university so when he went back to the pros, he wasn't defying any promises made about building a program.

He does the trade no favours.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:He could have sat out a year. He could have taken an OC job with a university so when he went back to the pros, he wasn't defying any promises made about building a program.

He does the trade no favours.
Well, maybe he could have sat a year but did he know that a job was going to be there at the end of a year? I can't see how he would. I get what you are saying and to a point, I agree but having been in that kind of situation, I can tell you that doing the right thing can also end up kicking you in the ass out of all proportion. I'm not sure given a similar circumstance again that I would make the same decision again. Ethics cost.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I see both sides. If you stay on principle, there is no guarantee that there is going to be a position available when you feel that it is appropriate to leave. If you do leave, you have committed your former employer to the whole process of searching for his replacement after only 1 year. But for all we know, SFU took on Chapdelaine fully realizing that it was likely that he would get poached by a Pro team before too long. Not unlike what we might have happen with our new coach if the NFL comes calling with millions on the line. It does make talk about dedication and commitment from Chapdelaine a bit two faced but I can understand it too.

Several years ago I applied for a tech job with Fisheries and Oceans. I was short listed for upcoming positions but was given no hints about when I might get called if ever. In the meantime I took a job with a computer shop and started working. After about 6 weeks, fisheries called. I was very confounded about what to do. I had just spent about 4 weeks getting up to speed on the position and was conflicted about the time and energy my employer had put in if only to see me leave after having done that. It didn't seem fair or right. I decided to stay because morally I felt it was the right thing to do but I regret much of it today. After a year, the company went under, I gave up a very lucrative opportunity at a Fed. Gov. job and wasn't ever able to to make that up again. My ethics cost me many thousands of dollars. Fortunately, I was in a position to afford it but that is not true for all. So say what you might about ole JC but not knowing his particular circumstances, I can appreciate why he might have chosen to bolt after only 1 season.
I think Sir P has a very analogous situation and while reading this my immediate response was I hope he took the F&O job as I'd have recommended that in an instant as an offer you can't refuse!

I am a big believer in fulfilling commitments but Jim Mullin here is a bit off base as there is not any great job security in coaching including at SFU my alma mater. Coaches in college have no longevity and they fired JCs predecessor after most felt he did a decent job.

If he prefers coaching in the pros then let him move on. It sounds like they have a decent staff there and there are lots of qualified replacements. It's not like these guys have big salaries and security - as they have neither.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Toppy, after talking with several alumni on this issue I strongly disagree.

He had a three-year deal in pocket and if he was canned it would have still been in effect. The only one-year coach in recent history for SFU was Frank Boerhes, and that was in a very odd season where he took the job in April after spring camp. Beaton had a run of 26 years, Boerhes one season, and Dave Johnson had seven and had lost control of the program through the last two-thirds of the season.

Fragile job security for JC does not apply in this case. There is no way that any institution would weaken their second recruiting season in a row, or two of three, by choice by letting a coach go after year one or two. No way. At the university level you will get a chance to build or maintain a program.

Chaps sold himself as the alumni choice and the guy who would be around to stay at home and build a program. He sold himself as the guy who could get kids out of Quebec. Now he's gone and a hire won't be executed until February. No matter how hard working and competent the assistants are it's a tough sell without a captian at the helm especially with Blake Nill now in town. JC was safe.

The good thing for those kids who committed to SFU last year is that they can transfer without sitting a year to a CIS school.

In other words, they can learn by example.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was surprised that Chaps left SFU after only one year but to be truthful I am not a fan of Canadian schools playing American rules football so, imo it looks good on you SFU.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I think Chapdelaine has burned bridges about his ever returning to the college ranks if he's fired from the CFL. No university is going to hire him and then see him flee when another opportunity opens.
Blitz
Team Captain

Its an interesting topic or debate.

One thing that should be clarified is that the Riders knew Chapdelaine was under contract to SFU and they asked Simon Fraser for permission to approach Chapdelaine about their open position at offensive coordinator.

Simon Fraser granted the Rough Riders that permission. That does not resolve whether Chap should have left SFU or not but it provides some clarification regarding the process.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

I find articles like the one written below by Jamie Nye misleading or at least engaging in stereotypes and needed more research.
Nye: Chapdelaine Should Transform Rider Offence

Corey Chamblin has Found his Man.

The Riders officially announced Jacques Chapdelaine will be their third offensive coordinator in Chamblin’s tenure.

And Chapdelaine has everything that Chamblin laid out in his needs to replace George Cortez.

Chamblin wanted a man who has experience and also to match a little bit more of an aggressive team going forward.

With Chapdelaine, there is no denying the passing game will become a key ingredient for the Roughriders' success, and it will allow Durant to get back to a little bit more of a gunslinger attitude that he’s had in the past.

In Chapdelaine’s eight years as an offensive coordinator, his offences have consistently been among the top in the league in passing yards, while just as consistently near the bottom in the run game.

The former CFL receiver is a pass-first type of coach, who needs some big play receivers to make his offense work. He’s seen Geroy Simon, Ryan Thelwell, Jason Clermont, Travis Moore, Emanuel Arcenaux and many others have tremendous seasons under his leadership in BC and Calgary.

It will be an adjustment for the Riders offence after George Cortez ran a unit that led the league in balance. The run plays equalled the pass plays in terms of play calls.

It’s not rocket science to figure out why Chapdelaine is the winner of the job over other candidates like TSN analyst Paul LaPolice and Pete Costanza, who has spent the last several years running the Stampeders receiving corps.

Chamblin wants to see the ball in the air and press the ball down field to counter a very down year in 2014.

Rider offence far from complete

The next pressing issue will be who Chapdelaine brings in to help him run the offence in Saskatchewan.

There are some well established coaches in Saskatchewan, including offensive line coach Doug Malone and receivers coach Jason Tucker.

Avon Cobourne also is waiting to hear his future after his first year as a coach, working with the Riders running backs.

With under 200 passing yards per game in 2014, the Riders owned the CFL's worst passing offence. Would Chapdelaine help the Riders' offence?
Jamie Nye

No question that]Chapdelaine was a pass first spread offence style of coordinator from 2005-2010 but Nye is not accurate that, as Nye quotes "In Chapdelaine’s eight years as an offensive coordinator, his offences have consistently been among the top in the league in passing yards, while just as consistently near the bottom in the run game".

Chap made serious changes to his scheme in 2011, as we went on to win the Grey Cup that season. Chap was no longer ran the spread offence as his dominant scheme, nor were we a pass first oriented offence during his last 3 seasons. For example, in 2012, under Chap our Leos not only lead the CFL in rushing but we also were best in the CFL in Most First Downs, Average Yds. of Offence Per Game, Average Yds. Per Rush, and HIghest Percentage of Passes Completed.

Our passing offence slid in 2013, a result of diminished quarterback protection, Lulay's bad shoulder and subsequent injury later on in the season, starting a rookie for 6 games in DeMarco, etc. But we finished third in rushing in 2013 so in Chap's last two seasons with our Leos we finished 1st and 3rd in rushing the football. That no longer is a pass first coordinator.

Certainly I can understand the Riders liking the success that numerous quarterbacks have enjoyed in Chap's body of work. He has developed many successful quarterbacks and many have had outstanding quarterback efficency averages. However, there have also been a lot of sacks and injuries - a debate as to how much that is on Chap and how much on Dorazio has been an often asked question this season, with Chap gone.

Labelling Cortez as an offensive coordinator who was not aggressive enough with the pass and being more of a conservative offensive coordinator who 'didn't push the football down field, is also a false stereotype.

Cortez followed Hufnagel as the offensive coordinator in Calgary and he was very much a pass first spread offensive coordinator at that time. In Hamilton, as a HC, Cortez favored a very pass happy offensive scheme. Cortez was also in the spread offence in his two seasons as offensive coordinator in Saskatchewan. Like Hufnagel and Chapdelaine, Cortez was seeing the writing on the wall in terms of being too pass oriented in the CFL against today's defenses and needing to run the football more.

Cortez ran the football out of the spread formation in Saskatchan during his two seasons with the Riders. When he had a very good offensive line and Korey Sheets running the football, the Riders were a very good running team. Not so good this season. Chapdelaine, in his last two seasons with us, mostly ran the football out of the pro style offence, using tight ends and a two back set, using Lumbala as a lead blocker.

So, at the end of this season, it seems that the Riders tossed Cortez because he was not aggressive enough with the passing offence and they have hired Chap who they believe is more of an aggressive pass first offensive coordinator. While Cortez has stayed with the spread offence and Chap has moved towards the pro style offence, both became more run focused in their recent past. Calgary is also a run oriented offence and now Edmonton has moved that way. Outside of Toronto's 2012 season, when they finished 9-9 but won their two final games to win the Grey Cup, the CFL's most dominant teams in recent seasons have been teams that have been up there, in terms of running the football.

My guess is that Chamblin either wants Chap to run a pass first spread offence in Riderville next year or at least use his more recent motion/misdirection offence with a pass first philosophy.

In B.C. there has been a lot of thought that Tedford will hire Cortez here in B.C. because Cortez is experienced in the CFL game and also worked for Tedford in California, where they both had success. But its also important to realize that when Cortez was the OC in California, Tedford called the plays and both were spread devotees at the time. Tedford abandoned the spread offence as his scheme in California and ran a pro style offence there, when he players there like Aaron Rogers, who is now the very successful quarterback of Green Bay and Tedford also favored the running game in the pro offence, when he had running backs like Marshand Lynch, now with Seattle, playing for him.

So, there the notion that Cortez is a natural fit for Tedford may or not may be the reality. Tedford may want a pro style offensive coordinator or he could want Cortez here but want him to change his scheme or Tedford could want to utilize a spread offensive scheme for the CFL game.

There are a lot of questions yet to be answered by Tedford, as he watches game tape, before he decides on the type of offensive scheme he wants to use and then determine who he wants to hire as offensive coordinator. Cortez may or not be suitable, depending on what Tedford wants to do with the offence in 2015.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Chapdelaine was also the guy that got his quarterbacks killed with his offensive schemes.
But at least he wasn't that guy who dropped an easy pass in the '83 Grey Cup, right? That was some other guy, I think.

#neverforgive