Riders name Chapdelaine new Offensive Coordinator

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

This search may have been going on for some time but Chamblin has had his eye on Chapdelaine for even longer.

"Jacques had actually been on my mind as long as I've been a head coach. He's a guy that I've always had on my list for and that I've had great respect for," said Chamblin.

Heading into the West semifinal in 2013 Chamblin actually watched all of the film available on Chapdelaine since 2011. At that point he felt confident that they were completely prepared for everything the Lions offence could do.

"He can't come with anything new and he came with some things new. What that showed me is he has the ability to change and adapt and do whatever he needs to do to get a win," said Chamblin.
I found this part of the article very interesting and I generally agree with Chamblin regarding Chap's work from 2011 on. Chamblin, who coached against Chap in his last 3 seasons with the Lions certainlly sees it differently during those seasons than some Leo fans. Guess we'll see how this works out next year.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

Excerots from the Regina Leader Post

Durrant endorses the hiring of Chadelaine
Newly appointed Saskatchewan Roughriders offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chapdelaine has received an emphatic endorsement from the CFL team's marquee player.

"I'm excited, first and foremost,'' Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant said Friday after the hiring of Chapdelaine was confirmed. "He has coached a lot of great quarterbacks in the past. He has led some guys to some MVP-type seasons and he has won multiple Grey Cups. I'm excited about the system, the way he opens it up for us, and it should be good.''
The Riders pursued Chapdelaine

"
One thing that needs to be understood is that (the Riders' job) was not necessarily an opportunity I was seeking,'' Chapdelaine said. "I was at the college level and had a long-term contract. The Roughriders came and asked (for permission to talk to Chapdelaine), basically, and presented the situation that I explored. I gave it due diligence
Chap was selected over LaPolice
Roughriders head coach Corey Chamblin said that he seriously considered Chapdelaine and Paul LaPolice for the position. LaPolice, a football analyst for TSN, was the Roughriders' receivers coach in 2007 before spending the next two years as the Green and White's offensive co-ordinator. He is a former head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Chamblin said he felt that Chapdelaine was the best fit for the kind of offence the Roughriders would like to run.

"He just hit the nail right on the head as soon as he came in,'' Chamblin said of Chapdelaine.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Ravi
Legend

I have been coming on this forum for many years now - and I find it thoroughly enjoyable and educational - but do feel like I have been poisoned against Chapdelaine. My feelings toward him are quite negative after reading so much about him on here over the years. Yet, when one looks at the offensive stats for the Lions during his years in B.C. and their overall success in the standings, it is difficult not to conclude that he is a very competent offensive coordinator. When you compare his work to Lapolice's, Chapdelaine's body of work compares quite favourably IMO.

However, Chaps wasn't a good fit for one season in Edmonton with Ricky Ray and the pressure will certainly be on in Saskatchewan to get the most out of Darian Durant as George Cortez was able to do. Can Chaps also flourish away from the comforting bosom of Wally Buono? He wasn't able to do so in Edmonton in '07.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:I have been coming on this forum for many years now - and I find it thoroughly enjoyable and educational - but do feel like I have been poisoned against Chapdelaine. My feelings toward him are quite negative after reading so much about him on here over the years. Yet, when one looks at the offensive stats for the Lions during his years in B.C. and their overall success in the standings, it is difficult not to conclude that he is a very competent offensive coordinator. When you compare his work to Lapolice's, Chapdelaine's body of work compares quite favourably IMO.

However, Chaps wasn't a good fit for one season in Edmonton with Ricky Ray and the pressure will certainly be on in Saskatchewan to get the most out of Darian Durant as George Cortez was able to do. Can Chaps also flourish away from the comforting bosom of Wally Buono? He wasn't able to do so in Edmonton in '07.
What it came down to, at least from my perspective, is this.

"We're going to do what we're going to do, and if you can beat us, beat us."

And that's fine, if you have a consistently superior talent advantage. The Lions have not had that for some time now. They didn't have it in 2005. They haven't had it since 2008. It wasn't until 2010, frankly, when BC lost on the road in Montreal, but got a good look at what Marc Trestman brought to the league, particularly as it related to pre-snap disguises, that he really began to adjust his game planning.

Even still, I place a premium on versatile in game adjustments, and he was not and is not any good at that. Which is why I'll re-assert my contention that his skill set, which is not without merit, is that of a head coach of a college level program rather than that of a coordinator. I would have liked him to stay at SFU and turn it into something notable.

But hey, he's the Riders problem now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

"He can't come with anything new and he came with some things new. What that showed me is he has the ability to change and adapt and do whatever he needs to do to get a win," said Chamblin.
This was a telling sign and suggestion that Chamblin queried him on this area as he was stubborn.

I feel his pass first gets in the way of running an opponent into the ground though and Chaps had to say that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
This was a telling sign and suggestion that Chamblin queried him on this area as he was stubborn.

I feel his pass first gets in the way of running an opponent into the ground though and Chaps had to say that.

The quote by Chamblin was based upon Chamblin watcing 3 seasons of tape of Chaps offence before the Semu-Final last year and Chamblin believing, after watching so much tape of Chap's offence for the past 3 seasons... that Chap come in to that game with something new and he did..and therefore Chamblin's comment that 'Chap has the ability to change and adapt and do whatever he needs to do to win' was based upon Chaps offence being able to adapt and change. Obviously that impressed Chamblin, who is a former defensive coordinator, who has also commented on how difficult Chap's offence was to defend.

I didn't see that in Chap's offence prior to 2011, being stuck in the spread offensive system..... but certainly after...not always.... but certainly enough.

We all have our versions of reality and then provide reasons to support our viewpoints. I was a tough critic of Chap from 2005-2010 but I became a supporter of his new scheme beginning in 2011 and when I wanted him retained in B.C. at the end of last season, I was in the minority on Lionbackers, sometimes under attack for my thoughts.

There were times I wondered if I was crazy to begin supporting Chap, who was not popular to say the least on Lionbackers, or whether it was guilt because I had been so critical of him for a number of seasons prior to 2011, or I wondered if I was not seeing things clearly.

I'm still in the minority on Lionbackers regarding my views of Chap's scheme and coaching over the past 3 seasons. But at least, with Chamblin making Chap his first choice as OC over LaPolice or anyone else and pursuing Chap at least it makes me better that someone else agrees.

Am I right?..maybe and maybe not. Has Chamblin made the right choice - maybe or maybe not. But at least, right now, I feel I'm not so far out in left field, as in the past few years. Its not fun sometimes to be there and it makes one ask oneself a lot of questions including whether to stick with a minority point of view or defer to the majority opinion.

Chap better do a decent job in Riderville.... and its even a tougher place on offensive coordinators than B.C.

If I am ever reincarnated and had to come back in the next life as a football coach, I sure would want to be on the defensive side of the football. :wink:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: If I am ever reincarnated and had to come back in the next life as a football coach, I sure would want to be on the defensive side of the football. :wink:
I can think of about two dozen unemployed SEC D Coordinators that would disagree with you on that.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'll never understand when you have a QB that can run the way Durant can run, why you would then put him into a system which is going to be primarily pocket passer focused? Chaps was a pass heavy OC for much of his time here and I expect to see the same kinds of trends in Riderville. Durant will stay in the pocket, plays will take longer to develop and if their Oline isn't up to the task, Durant will get sacked a lot more.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting article as to why Chamblin pursued Chapdelaine and also chose Chapdelaine over LaPolice. Chapdelaine and LaPolice were Chamblin's two short listed candidates. Lapo would have been the more popular choice in Regina but Chambin wanted Chap.

Interesting that Benvedes is looking to Winnipeg as DC. I'm starting to think that Chamblin will coach the defense in Riderville next season rather than hire a DC and either Hall will be back to help him or someone else will be hired but Chamblin will be the DC as well as the HC.

CHAPDELAINE FITS CHAMBLIN'S TEMPLATE

By ROB VANSTONE, LEADER-POST December 19, 2014

Before interviewing prospective offensive co-ordinators, Corey Chamblin flashed back to a time when he was on the other end of the process.

Chamblin was interviewed by Saskatchewan Roughriders general manager Brendan Taman before being named the CFL team’s head coach on Dec. 15, 2011.

“I went back to my interview booklet from my interview with the Roughriders about, ‘This is what my offence will look like,’ and 85 per cent of what I had written down was Jacques Chapdelaine’s offence,’’ Chamblin said on Friday. “It was like, ‘This is what I had written down.’ ’’

Philosophical compatibility was a major reason why Chapdelaine was named Friday as the replacement for George Cortez, who had spent the previous two seasons as Saskatchewan’s offensive co-ordinator. Cortez’s contract was not renewed after the 2014 season.

Chamblin’s short list of possible successors consisted of Chapdelaine and Paul LaPolice. The latter candidate was the favourite of many fans who weighed in on who they would like to choreograph the Roughriders’ offence.

“I looked at it similar to the way Brendan did when he brought me in,’’ Chamblin said. “I wasn’t the sexy choice, but we still won a Grey Cup (in 2013), and that’s what I told Brendan: ‘A lot of people wanted Dave Dickenson here. A lot of people wanted Scott Milanovich here. But, at the end of the day, I brought success here and I brought a Grey Cup.’

“It wasn’t the sexy choice. Brendan made what I would say was not the safe choice. He made the right choice and he knew what fit was going to be purrfect for him, and that’s how it is. There’s not any good or bad with Paul, or good or bad with George. In 2015, growing as a coach and wanting to move this organization and this team forward, there was a certain fit that I was looking for.’’

LaPolice, a former Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach and current TSN analyst, was on the Roughriders’ coaching staff from 2007 to 2009. He spent one year as the receivers coach before being promoted to offensive co-ordinator.

Chapdelaine has 13 years of CFL coaching experience. Ten of those seasons were spent with the B.C. Lions, with whom he was a Cup-winning offensive co-ordinator in 2006 and 2011. He also earned a Grey Cup ring as the special-teams co-ordinator and receivers coach with the 2001 Calgary Stampeders.

Given those championship credentials, why wasn’t Chapdelaine considered a “sexy” choice?

“I think the real reason why is that he has been in the (Lions’) orange for so long that a lot of Rider fans have to adapt to that, whereas Paul had been in the green,’’ Chamblin said.

“It’s no different than Dave Dickenson played in this league and I did not, so there’s always going to be that natural cling from the Rider fans to what we know. We want what we know. They didn’t know me, but now it’s like, ‘Hey, we like Corey,’ some of them.

“It’s the same thing with Jacques. When I look at it, I can’t go off what the fans say. I’m not media-driven. It’s not that. It has to be, ‘What fits our personnel? What fits my thoughts?’ If it doesn’t fit my thoughts and if we don’t go together, then it’s going to be a long season and a long tenure.

“Sexy? I guess winning championships is not sexy, because that’s what he has done.’’

Chapdelaine was done in B.C. after the 2013 season. Following a mutual parting of the ways with the Lions, the 53-year-old Chapdelaine was named the head coach of the Simon Fraser University Clan.

He was perfectly content to remain at the Burnaby, B.C.-based school until being approached by the Riders.

“One thing that needs to be understood is that this was not necessarily an opportunity I was seeking,’’ said Chapdelaine, who signed a multi-year contract. “I was at the college level and had a long-term contract. The Roughriders came and asked, basically, and presented the situation that I explored. I gave it due diligence.

“The process basically revealed to me, from a football, business and family point of view, that this was a very, very good situation that I could not pass up. I would have been very happy to continue doing what I was doing, but this opportunity far exceeded what I kind of hoped for. It was just tremendous to have the opportunity to make a decision.’’

Chapdelaine’s in-game decision-making generally favours the pass, whereas his predecessor was more run-oriented.

“I’ve always believed that if you can control the ball and take your shots and make it an explosive game and make it a fertile environment, you’re always going to have success,’’ Chapdelaine said. “Whether it’s the run sets up the pass or the pass sets up the run, I really think that has to do more with your tools and what the defence does.’’

Chamblin has now shifted his focus to filling the vacant defensive co-ordinator’s position. He has spoken with two as-yet-unnamed candidates and hopes to reach a conclusion shortly after Christmas. One possibility calls for the head coach to double as the defensive co-ordinator.

Richie Hall will not return to the Roughriders in that capacity but can remain on the coaching staff if he so chooses. Hall is also touted as a candidate to become the defensive co-ordinator with the Blue Bombers, who fired Gary Etcheverry on Wednesday.

Former Lions head coach Mike Benevides is also said to be a candidate for the Bombers’ job. If he is not hired in Winnipeg, he could be added to the short list in Saskatchewan.

Bob Dyce is expected to remain as the Roughriders’ special-teams co-ordinator. A special-teams assistant will likely be hired.

rvanstone@leaderpost.com

Blitz
Team Captain

Interesting that Chamblin had 'his eye' on Chadelaine prior to releasing Cortez.

Its interesting to read Rider fans views of Cortez, whom they saw as being unable to adapt, who was predictable, his pass plays as taking too long to set up, the inability of the offence to pick up blitzes, having defenders come free, etc. It also seems to be a common theme on other websites.

To me, the pattern of discussion is similar in most CFL cities fan web sites because most CFL teams have spread offences and defenses are blitzing the hell out of this type of scheme.

It will be interesting to see how Tedford attacks..we know he will go uptempo. I wonder, for the CFL game, whether he will go more pro offence as his base offence or whether he will go more spread offence. He will likely incorporate both but the question is what offensive structure will be he emphasize?

One thing is obvious. Tedford will need to develop our next quarterback and create successful quarterback depth. It seems to be one of the reasons Chap was hired in Riderville. One thing that Chap did do was to create quarterback depth and his starting quarterbacks usually had very good quarterback efficiency ratings, even with the challenges that we experieced offensively at times during his tenure in B.C., showing that blocking was the biggest issue of our offence for most seasons under Chap.
Chamblin believes Chapdelaine will work better w/ back-ups. He cites how he brought along, Lulay, Pierce, DeMarco, Reilly in BC #riders

The Riders have been looking for an offensive coordinator since basically the season came to an end. Shortly after it was announced that Cortez would not be back in 2015.

This search may have been going on for some time but Chamblin has had his eye on Chapdelaine for even longer.

"Jacques had actually been on my mind as long as I've been a head coach. He's a guy that I've always had on my list for and that I've had great respect for," said Chamblin.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

At the risk of praising Jacques Chapdelaine ... LOL

As noted by Blitz above, Chamblin refers to a number of quarterbacks that worked with Jacques Chapdelaine.

JC deserves some credit for the development and the performance of all those quarterbacks (and receivers) that have come through B.C. since 2003.

Dickenson

Printers (not sure about the working relationship between these two)

Pierce

Jackson

Lulay

Reilly

DeMarco (not everyone's favourite, but our staff liked him, and he showed enough to have Ottawa take him in the draft)

Good to see JC back in the CFL. I hope Regina works out well for him. It certainly seems like he has found a kindred spirit in Corey Chamblin. We will see about those fans. As noted it sure did not work out with Ricky Ray. Durant seems to be very supportive of JC's hiring.
"I'm excited, first and foremost,'' Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant said Friday after the hiring of Chapdelaine was confirmed. "He has coached a lot of great quarterbacks in the past. He has led some guys to some MVP-type seasons and he has won multiple Grey Cups. I'm excited about the system, the way he opens it up for us, and it should be good.''
The Riders have had very good O Lines seemingly forever. That should help.

Just IMO on a quiet day after all the excitement surrounding the hiring of Jeff Tedford ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:Well, I find this interesting. It would appear that Chaps is highly-regarded in Saskabush, anyway, which is saying something given the Riders' very competitive tradition. That the Riders regard him as an upgrade over Cortez should, perhaps, be taken into account as we (or at least some) contemplate a Cortez landing as OC in Lotusland.
The Riders may regard him as an upgrade which of course they are going to say. Their fanbase on the other hand consider him to be a big step backwards from Cortez or LaPolice.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Its interesting to read Rider fans views of Cortez, whom they saw as being unable to adapt, who was predictable, his pass plays as taking too long to set up, the inability of the offence to pick up blitzes, having defenders come free, etc. It also seems to be a common theme on other websites.
Sounds like Chapball
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chapdelaine was also the guy that got his quarterbacks killed with his offensive schemes.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Blitz wrote:Its interesting to read Rider fans views of Cortez, whom they saw as being unable to adapt, who was predictable, his pass plays as taking too long to set up, the inability of the offence to pick up blitzes, having defenders come free, etc. It also seems to be a common theme on other websites.
Sounds like Chapball

ChapBall was the spead offence and the spread offence, whether run by Chap from 2005-2010 (Dorazio in 2008-2009) or by Macioccia or by Cortez or Milanovich or Khari Jones or Marcel Bellefeuille or Austin is tough on quarterbacks. Here in B.C. it was even tougher at times because we also had Dorazio coaching the offensive line. Quarterbacks who got rid of the football very quickly like McMannus and Cavillo surived the best in it. (and they were in the pocket in their offensive schemes almost all the time as was Ricky Ray and he still is)

Many NFL teams began to move away from it as a base offence due to a) defenses were defending it bettter and b) starting quarterbacks are a very precious, expensive commodity in the NFL and owners and Head Coaches began to want to protect their starting quarterbacks more with a different offensive system...and therefore the return of tight ends and two back sets.

We really haven't done that to the same degree in the CFL. Perhaps the wide CFL field seems to tempting and therefore the spread remains in vogue or perhaps two down football makes passing and the spread offence more favorable, even though defenses are bltizing the hell out of it more than ever...as we saw this season and offence was down again.

The most successful teams over the past few seasons have been teams that run the football successfully. Calgary is the best example, Edmonton made a serious move in that direction this year. Chap moved to more power formation in 2011. Trestman was multi-formational but most teams are still running the spread with five receiers, one tailback, no tight ends, rare use of a fullback, and the quarterback in the shotgun.

Have a look at Seattle play this weekend. Wilson will often be under center, they will use a tight end, a fullback often, they favor the run first, and when they do line up in a spread formation, with Wilson in the pocket, its usually a sure passing down. The same goes for New England and perhaps even more so.

ChapBall from 2005-2010 was basically the spread offence He was probably as successful with it during his time here as any OC was with it.... but we also dealt with the same challenges and issues and sometimes more......that all spread offence teams deal with - difficulty with blitzes, quarterback injuries, difficulty running inside successfully unless the offence has a great offensive line.

Our best stats in terms of not getting our quarterback sacked were in 2011 (only 29 -best in CFL) and 2012 (30 -tied with Calgary for best in CFL) when Chap moved away from the spread offence.

If anyone thinks Cortez protects his quarterback well, Saskatchewan gave up the same number of sacks as we did in 2013 (47) the year they won the Grey Cup and they also had a very good running game in 2013. The Riders only gave up 6 less quarterback sacks than us this year. We gave up less quarterback sacks than Calgary in 2011 and the same as Calgary in 2012.

In 2008, when LaPolice was the offensive coordinator in Saskatchewan his offence gave up more quarterback sacks than we did and the same was true in LaPolice's second and last season in Saskatchewan. Its not as if LaPolice or Cortez have done a better job of protecting their quarterbacks in the past than Chap did and both of them had the benefit of better offensive lines.

LaPolice and Cortez are spread offensive coordinators. Chap was too but he moved away from the spread in 2011. Whether Chap is the right offensive coordinator or not in Regina (offensive coaching is obviously more than scheme) in my view, from a scheme point of view, Saskatchewan made the better choice in going with Chap's scheme in Regina than the scheme of LaPolice or Cortez.

John Henry on Lionbackers has been an advocate for the two back offence and power formations in the CFL, dating back many seaons now. He saw the writing on the wall agaisnt the "Chuck and Duck" "Air Raid" pocket passing offences ahead of most.

Chap needs to change his personal style as does Cortez. LaPolice is the better communicator and is personable but he is still stuck in an old scheme and that's why Chamblin didn't want him as his first choice in Regina and chose Chap instead...plus Chap uses motion and misdirection very well in his offensive scheme.