Forget about Danny Watkins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

I think that Watkins may have been better off in the CFL to begin with as he could have enjoyed playing football while still pursuing his passion for firefighting but it looks like the NFL, as it does for some, sucked all of the fun out of football for Watkins: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/17/danny-wat ... ia-eagles/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ravi wrote:I think that Watkins may have been better off in the CFL to begin with as he could have enjoyed playing football while still pursuing his passion for firefighting but it looks like the NFL, as it does for some, sucked all of the fun out of football for Watkins: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/17/danny-wat ... ia-eagles/

Great article', Ravi.

Thanks for posting.

Watkins loved being a fireman. Football guys saw him, saw his size, mobility, intelligence, and he was drawn into football. Hardly a career plan for the firefighter at heart.

In the early 1980s I saw Howard Mudd present at a football coaching clinic. He was tough, brilliant and humourous, in his own way. He told kind of grim stories about "working" the guys on the blocking sled. No surprise he was tough on Danny Watkins.

As the article says, "Danny Watkins was born to be a firefighter." Football just happened along the way in his life's journey.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Somewhat coincidentally, there's currently a guy from Kamloops who is a sophomore OL at Butte College, Jacob Bigham. Plays C actually. Anyone know if the Lions have scouted this guy? I guess he's still got 2 years of college eligibility left. Some footage:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Somewhat coincidentally, there's currently a guy from Kamloops who is a sophomore OL at Butte College, Jacob Bigham. Plays C actually. Anyone know if the Lions have scouted this guy? I guess he's still got 2 years of college eligibility left. Some footage:

Have not heard about him, L4e.

Couple of pictures from the article ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Ravi wrote:I think that Watkins may have been better off in the CFL to begin with as he could have enjoyed playing football while still pursuing his passion for firefighting but it looks like the NFL, as it does for some, sucked all of the fun out of football for Watkins: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/17/danny-wat ... ia-eagles/
Reading that article I don't think it would've made a difference. Watkins makes me think of the many of us when we were kids in the middle of class where we would drift off daydreaming about one day playing in the CFL, NFL, NHL etc. In Watkins' case I envision him sitting in Philadelphia Eagle or Miami Dolphion team meetings drifting off daydreaming about one day being a full-time firefighter. NFL money wasn't enough to keep him focused on his job so I doubt CFL money would either. I think he's no different than countless others who graduate with a degree, in his case football degree, only to quickly find out they really don't enjoy doing what they went to school for.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Somewhat coincidentally, there's currently a guy from Kamloops who is a sophomore OL at Butte College, Jacob Bigham. Plays C actually. Anyone know if the Lions have scouted this guy? I guess he's still got 2 years of college eligibility left. Some footage:

Plays centre. Like the play he pancakes opposing linemen.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Danny Watkins reminds me of Robin Sadler, a defenceman drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the first round. (9th overall) Quit hockey to become a firefighter.
aklawitter
All Star

Could have done the Bret Anderson thing here and retired after every season. :good:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

aklawitter wrote:Could have done the Bret Anderson thing here and retired after every season. :good:
A little easier to do when you're mostly used on special teams and filling in as a 6th receiver. Not so easy when you're expected to be a starting OL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.