Free Agent Wish List

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/02/11 ... witterfeed
B.C. went into free agency with Rwabukamba as their primary target, figuring he or Calgary free agent Keenan MacDougall could replace J.R. LaRose, who was never offered a new contract and whose misplayed pursuit angles drew the ire of some of his teammates and even more fans.

The Lions had tried to replace LaRose last year by making a pitch for Craig Butler, who signed in Hamilton, and were forced to stick with him when Matt McGarva went down in training camp for the second straight year with an ACL tear.

But McGarva is rehabbing nicely and the Lions also have Keynan Parker to try at the position. And if all of that doesn’t work there’s every chance import Torri Williams lines up in the middle on opening day. B.C. is comfortable with its starting Canadian ratio alignment, using six non-imports on offence and the tandem of Jabar Westerman and David Menard on the defensive line, and can experiment between an extra defender or receiver in camp as needed.
We need some depth behind Westerman and Menard.

Early impressions: I expect that talent-wise, we will be fine. Quarterback health, experience and development will play large. New staff with loads of experience and success. Got some hopes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:I hope the Lions sign another kicker. I hate to see us heading into the season with Paul McCallum doing the punting again.
Luca Congi and Josh Bartel are both available, according to TSN's free agent tracker. Neither shoot the lights out, but both are competent.
The_Pauser
Legend

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I hope the Lions sign another kicker. I hate to see us heading into the season with Paul McCallum doing the punting again.
Luca Congi and Josh Bartel are both available, according to TSN's free agent tracker. Neither shoot the lights out, but both are competent.
I'd be ok with an import who can kick 50 yard field goals and also handle punting duties.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Brett Jones signs with the New York Giants

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/ne ... ett-jones/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I'm still hoping we bring in LeFevour, and it would be nice to bring in Justin Hickman. Our Dline needs some help and we can't rely on Smith to continue playing as a starter for much longer.
Hickman re-signed today in Hamilton. Wally was quoted in The Province today saying he wasn't interested in any of the free agent defensive linemen.

Brendan Taman says Saskatchewan is interested in LeFevour and Kevin Glenn as possible backups to Darian Durant and has had talks with their agents but price will be a factor in determining who they sign.
squishy35
Legend

Anybody have any reports from our free agent tryout camps in the USA?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:Anybody have any reports from our free agent tryout camps in the USA?
Other teams have begun holding camps but the Lions don't get started until March 6 in Dallas. Rookie free agents have been known to tweet pictures of themselves signing CFL contracts, but the club doesn't usually announce its signings until it has held several camps. The last camp is scheduled for May 17 in Seattle, just two weeks before training camp. (I haven't seen a training camp schedule yet either.)
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Anybody have any reports from our free agent tryout camps in the USA?
Other teams have begun holding camps but the Lions don't get started until March 6 in Dallas. Rookie free agents have been known to tweet pictures of themselves signing CFL contracts, but the club doesn't usually announce its signings until it has held several camps. The last camp is scheduled for May 17 in Seattle, just two weeks before training camp. (I haven't seen a training camp schedule yet either.)
Thanks for the scoop :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

2015 BC Lions workouts

Friday March 6, 2015 – Dallas, Texas
1501 Central Dr., Bedford, TX, USA
Testing: 9:30 am
Surface: Field Turf

Sunday March 8, 2015 –Las Vegas, NV
Location: Rancho High School - 1900 Searles Avenue (Las Vegas, NV)

Saturday April 18, 2015 – Atlanta, Georgia
Location: Georgia State University practice facility (downtown Atlanta)
188 Martin Luther King Jr Dr, Atlanta, GA 30312

Sunday April 19, 2015 – Washington, DC
Location: Bishop McNamara High School - 6800 Marlboro Pike (Forestville, MD)
Testing: 9:00 am
Surface: FieldTurf

Sunday May 17, 2015 – Seattle, Washington
8815 Seward Park Avenue South
Seattle, Washington 98118

*Highlight film can still be sent to the address below:

Neil McEvoy, Director of Player Personnel and Football Operations
BC Lions Football Club
10605 City Parkway
Surrey, BC V3T 4C8
(Label your package as Educational Materials)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Khalif Mitchell signs with Montreal - a 3 year deal.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/108629

Khalif with the media in Montreal.

Gotta luv the big guy. Key, key factor in our Grey Cup of 2011. Heart of gold. Means well. Amazing talent when motivated.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

aklawitter
All Star

Less motivation than Joe Smith. That's the problem.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:Less motivation than Joe Smith. That's the problem.
Is Khalif not being re-signed by his former team just about belief in his effectiveness - not his motivation? It's too easy it seems to say not motivated. Als must see something. Sometimes in the SMS CFL it's about getting a cheaper guy.

I think the Joe Smith not motivated was a manufactured thing the fans came up with as there was no clear reason for him to be gone.

Geroy Simon - a guy known for very high standards like his model Milt Stegall was positive on this guy and if he was a guy not playing full out Simon would not have defended him after he left.

Wally was close to Bobby Ackles he says and it was a night to honour him and Smith sitting home might have been a factor. Possibly the number 1 reason to trade him might the Lions seeing this as a divisive move in the locker room - staying home that night - something that they'd not want to tolerate.

Sure Smith didn't gel with the Bombers HC Mike Kelly -and didn't stick but Kelly was a nut job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: Is Khalif not being re-signed by his former team just about belief in his effectiveness - not his motivation? It's too easy it seems to say not motivated. Als must see something. Sometimes in the SMS CFL it's about getting a cheaper guy.

I think the Joe Smith not motivated was a manufactured thing the fans came up with as there was no clear reason for him to be gone.

Geroy Simon - a guy known for very high standards like his model Milt Stegall was positive on this guy and if he was a guy not playing full out Simon would not have defended him after he left.

Wally was close to Bobby Ackles he says and it was a night to honour him and Smith sitting home might have been a factor. Possibly the number 1 reason to trade him might the Lions seeing this as a divisive move in the locker room - staying home that night - something that they'd not want to tolerate.

Sure Smith didn't gel with the Bombers HC Mike Kelly -and didn't stick but Kelly was a nut job.
Count me as a big Joe Smith fan. :thup: A guy that went his own way. He may never have had a conversation with Bobby Ackles. Who knows? But I can easily see the "snub" of the Ackles recognition night as the reason for Joe Smith's departure. All Joe Smith did was play hard. Clutch. Tough yardage. Breakaway yardage. Catching clutch passes. He was funny. He would wear glasses at practice, looking kind of like a mild-mannered bookkeeper, in his own world. LOL ... Great with the fans. I think his teammates loved him. Wally liked him also, it seems, until Joe did not show up that night.

Khalif is another different cat. He may even have some issues, in terms of emotions, and in how he processes information. But he is just fine in my books. :thup:

aklawitter
All Star

I remember reading that he didn't even know that Mike Kelly was hired and that Kevin Glenn had been released prior to 09 TC.

Collected pop cans... for fun. The Garden "Incident". A couple examples of his... uniqueness. Sounds familiar.

Outplayed by Stefan Logan, and traded for Charles Roberts (who was outplayed by Fred Reid).

Came in 06, and stole Warren's job by making use of giant holes and moving his legs to carry defenders for extra yardage. I remember many instances of the PA guy announcing plays before they were complete!

This changed in 08, when the holes got smaller and he stopped using his legs. It would be a safe assumption that the motivation was not there.

Legitimate NFL Interest to Out of The CFL in less than 2 years.