Trestman out as Head Coach of the Chicago Bears

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Cutler's salary is not Cutler's fault! If it's anyone's it's Phil Emery's. But the big salary paid to Cutler didn't prevent the Bears from fielding an all-star offensive team, yet those stars dramatically underperformed. Who normally takes the heat for that? Who took the heat when our Lions underperformed this year? Gruden and Ditka have their opinions, and both being ex-coaches, one might expect a coach-friendly view. Others see it differently. Many seem to think that Trestman was just in over his head.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Or maybe the rest of the O quit on Cutler? Who is to say. A high profile QB is second perhaps only to a HC when it comes to influencing a team. Perhaps, the O was following Cutler's lead because Cutler didn't like Trestman. There are a lot of intangibles here to say that Trestman was over his head and/or not capable of coaching at the NFL level. And what a previous coach was able to do with a team is really irrelevant. Maybe he just let Cutler have his way all the time. Whatever it was, it wasn't enough to save his job. It is notable that there are enough other smoking guns out there that people are pointing at to at least question just "how responsible" Marc Trestman was for the season in Chicago. I don't think most could question Wally Buono's career as a HC but by the time he was gone from Calgary, they were struggling pretty good under ridiculous ownership and hampered with a QB that shouldn't have been playing.
Do I know what really was the problem in Chicago, no. I do hope however that this audition for Trestman isn't also his epitaph as a HC in the NFL. There are certainly enough other possible issues going on with that team to give him a mulligan IMO.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
South Pender
Legend

Trestman will not be suffering financially from his firing in Chicago. He has two years remaining on his $4.25M annual salary--that he will be paid--and this will enable him to take his time in planning his next career move. He'll be 59 in January, and I'd be surprised to see him throw himself once again into the cauldron that is an NFL HC position. Although an NFL OC job isn't exactly stress-free, it is less likely to lead to high blood pressure than any HC job. And there are other options for him too, and he'd be wise to take his time and decompress before opening the next chapter in his football career.

Here's a piece by Andrew Bucholtz of Yahoo Sports Canada discussing the likelihood of seeing Trestman back in the CFL in 2015:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 21974.html
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/11/11/chicag ... rs-twitter
Ditka: People attacking Trestman's daughters on Twitter are 'gutless'

November 11, 2014

Former Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka said those who attacked the daughters of current coach Marc Trestman on Twitter after the latest Bears loss are "gutless" and "cowards," Ditka told the Chicago Sun Times.

After Chicago lost 55-14 to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night, dropping the Bears to 3-6 on the season, Trestman's daughters were "maliciously attacked on social media," including gay slurs and rape threats, according to the Times.

"First of all, the people that do this are gutless. That’s why they do it in social media—so they can hide," said Ditka. "They’re cowards; they hide behind things. They don’t come out in public. They’re not going to knock on your door and say, ‘Hey, this is what I think.’ They have to do it by innuendo and through [social] media.

"These people are all cowards. That’s what social media allows you to do—you don’t have to meet the person face to face, all you have to do is say what you want to say. That’s why I say it’s a cowardly thing."

Ditka coached the Bears from 1982-1992 and last coached in 1999, with the New Orleans Saints. Asked if anyone in his family was ever yelled at when he coached, before the age of social media, Ditka said no.

"We had writers who weren’t favorable toward me or the team at times, but they had a right to say what they wanted to. But that was different. This is malicious. These people ought to be rounded up and kicked right in their ass," said Ditka.

- Molly Geary
I had mentioned this on page 2 of this thread. Harassment of Trestman's daughters by Chicago Bears fans. Threats.

Social media. Twitter. Facebook. And all those others that most of us have barely heard of ... reddit, g+, tumblr., et cetera. Enter at your risk.

And choose your profession carefully. Wanna be a high level coach in the U.S., in the NFL perhaps, with all that media exposure, and social media exposure? Threats of violence to a daughter. Threats of rape. :dizzy:

I agree with Ditka that these whacko fans are gutless. Like rabid dogs, attacking in a pack.

http://national.suntimes.com/national-s ... daughters/

http://deadspin.com/twitter-users-haras ... 1657009542

The Chicago Bears experience for Trestman, and his family, certainly did not turn out the way they expected. From a very nice time in Montreal, to a nightmare in Chicago.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pretty pathetic by a bunch of gutless punks.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

A HC like any senior manager or executive is judged by their ability to manage the resources they have available.

A HC has to have a strong core group of players who are fully on the same page as he and his staff are on.
> These will be the players like say a Nik Lewis in Calgary who speak exactly what the coaches are saying about their game, their way and expectations.

> The core group are the guys to whom the HC feels as equally accountable to as they feel towards to the coaching staff. If a player is underperforming or not acting as others do or are expected to do the HC and his staff know that this must be addressed. Examples: letting players go to NY for filming or even to a restaurant opening is something that a HC with that sense of accountability will say no to as he knows his credibility is on the line. If one guy is playing badly or the effort isn't there - he knows to keep the room and the core onside he must act. Jeffery dropping ball after ball was a case in point. Routine catches being dropped should have got that guy benched in the Lions game IIRC. That was ridiculous and yet he kept get more passes. Get him out of there. Play the guys who want to be in the game.

> A HC must make adjustments when things are going poorly - Trestman didn't.

> it is not that he can't do it - it seems he kept up the same old way instead of addressing the situation. He became an apologist for players who didn't deserve it.

> Trestman seemed to not actually seem to realize he was HC. His public statements did not address overall team issues. He seemed to want to be the guru play caller and set himself up with too many risky decisions that didn't all work out.

I wanted to hear him speak as a HC not an OC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Dusty
Champion

A report on NFL.com has Rex Ryan being linked with Mark Trestman when Ryan interviews for HC jobs. Apparently Ryan wants Trestman to be his OC wherever he ends up.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -future-oc
David
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:Apparently Ryan wants Trestman to be his OC wherever he ends up.....
Maybe so they can reminisce about their time spent in Canada?!? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
South Pender
Legend

David wrote:
Dusty wrote:Apparently Ryan wants Trestman to be his OC wherever he ends up.....

That's interesting, David. I hadn't known that Ryan had lived in Canada until I saw your post and looked him up on Wiki. It's certainly a validation of Trestman's offensive acumen that Ryan would see him as his choice for OC. Ryan brings a defensive background so that teaming up with Trestman would make for a pretty solid range of expertise.
Ravi
Legend

South Pender wrote:
David wrote:

That's interesting, David. I hadn't known that Ryan had lived in Canada until I saw your post and looked him up on Wiki. It's certainly a validation of Trestman's offensive acumen that Ryan would see him as his choice for OC. Ryan brings a defensive background so that teaming up with Trestman would make for a pretty solid range of expertise.
You obviously don't read Steve Simmons enough who has repeated ad nauseam how Rex Ryan and his brother spent a few years of their childhood in Toronto. Rex Ryan is a big Leafs fan but there is no evidence he ever followed the CFL even though he lived in the city at the height of the Argos' popularity (1970s).