Cortez release by Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Football has CHANGED FOR GOOD, it is a game of systems as much as players now...that means that coaching is now more important than ever! Cortez isn't young, and he is a proponent of a system that has been "figured out" by CFL defences. What I have always liked and admired about Cortez, is that HE WILL MAKE ADJUSTMENTS to win games if they are necessary. Plus, Cortez has always been smart enough to ACCENTUATE the talent that you have...he had success in SSK because he knew how well they could run the football...this kept teams guessing on what they would do on a given down and this turned Durant into a better QB than he actually was...would he do that here or would he simply revert back to the spread because of our situation with Dorazio and the OLine...I believe this is a great chance for the Lions to go out and bring in the youngest, brightest minds in football and build around their knowledge and energy...start making it hard for teams to prepare against us, instead of easy under Wally's tenure.

The opening here is not what I'd agree with.

The MOST critical role for a HC is to set the direction and tone for the team and lay out the culture and enlist assistants and the core players to buy in as without the meeting of minds between the players and the coaches the best systems in the world won't win a championship. Words don't cut it. But a clear performance oriented culture that players buy in to and the coaches rally around.

The most critical decision a new HC must make is what to with assistants. We know the Lions got off easy and made just a transitional payment to the former HC and not sure of when assistant contracts run out but these decisions will determine what direction they are planning to go in.

As far as Cortez goes he'd have to convince me that he understood what went wrong in Hamilton as HC and how he was about to correct it.

The irony of posters who suggest that none of us here have been pro coaches defies common sense when we see failures of brilliant Coordinators when they rise to the ranks of HC - Stubler and Cortez. Reed, Benevides - both failed to see the role of HC and how it had to work.

These guys didn't fail as HC's because of systems they failed as they didn't lead. They were around successful HCs yet when they got the reigns of power didn't follow what they saw those who successful were doing.

The last thing anyone should believe is that this leads to success as HC:
a) many years as a successful coordinator or
b) outstanding systems guy

It amazes me that the failing former successful coordinators either:
a) didn't understand the role difference.
b) didn't get or take advice that would save their job.
c) didn't hire good people to help them save their job.

The old saying is that you get hired for your technical skills but get fired in higher level roles for your lack of conceptual and human skills.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:We know the Lions got off easy and made just a transitional payment to the former HC and not sure of when assistant contracts run out but these decisions will determine what direction they are planning to go in.
Most assistant coaches' contracts run out Jan. 31. Khari Jones was given a two-year contract so he has a year left, unless the Lions slipped in a previously unannounced clause that allows them to dump him sooner as they did with Benevides.
leo4life
All Star

I thought CFL assitant coaches contracts ran out this month?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

leo4life wrote:I thought CFL assitant coaches contracts ran out this month?
It's always been Jan. 31 for the Lions except in the days when they treated the defensive line coach as a part-time position and ended the contract in December.
While Buono told those assistants under contract with the Lions until Jan. 31 they may not be back, stressing that Benevides' successor will have autonomy to pick his own staff, he also wouldn't rule out one of them could also get the top job.
Lowell Ullrich article
South Pender
Legend

Wow. Danny Barrett and Charlie Taaffe (LU article) being considered for the Lions' HC job? Both had .45 records as head coaches. Are they better now?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
South Pender wrote:Maybe Jeff Garcia will come as a QB coach, the same position he had with the Als for less than a full season. In my opinion, that would be ideal. He could pay his dues like coaches and coordinators before him and arrive as an OC in perhaps a couple of years. Dave Dickenson--as an example of a superb QB with strong CFL bona fides--put in two years as RB and QB coach in Calgary before ascending to OC. He didn't demand a HC or OC position right away. Why should Garcia? If it's argued that Garcia is that much more deserving than Dickenson, I would have to disagree.
I highly doubt Garcia would be interested in being a QB coach here.
It would be closer to his family in California than in Montreal.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Wally wouldn't rule out one of the current assistant coaches being considered for the HC job...WHAAAAAAAAAT? :dizzy:

Dan Dorazio, the new Lions HC :clown:

OTOH it has been reported that Khari Jones still has a year left on his contract...so I guess that might make him a candidate.

I think Wally made the statement about the assistants being considered for the HC job just to appear all inclusive in his search and to make the final choice look better by comparison to who is on staff now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally should be nicknamed Cagey Bwana.

Tossing names or letting others infer they are all on the list is him managing the message or letting the media fill in the blanks. This gives the media a story without him saying a word.

As to the assistants, quite frankly, they all should be interviewed by the GM as to the issues with the team and what they'd do about if they were HC.
Rammer
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Wally wouldn't rule out one of the current assistant coaches being considered for the HC job...WHAAAAAAAAAT? :dizzy:

OTOH it has been reported that Khari Jones still has a year left on his contract...so I guess that might make him a candidate.

I think Wally made the statement about the assistants being considered for the HC job just to appear all inclusive in his search and to make the final choice look better by comparison to who is on staff now.
Makes sense in allowing the current assistants to apply, they are most likely looking for jobs once the Lions sign a HC....
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Wally wouldn't rule out one of the current assistant coaches being considered for the HC job...WHAAAAAAAAAT? :dizzy:

Cue Chapdelaine being introduced as the new Head Coach with a paper bag over his head. (much like Harold Ballard wanted to do with Roger Nielson)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:

Cue Chapdelaine being introduced as the new Head Coach with a paper bag over his head. (much like Harold Ballard wanted to do with Roger Nielson)
If you think about this - it is not too hard after a few minutes to actually imagine that coming true.

We know Wally likes someone he knows especially taking on his HC role.

Wally too might have challenges in the control areas in what he must let go and where he must have the hammer. Unlike GMs who do just that role and are not coaches - Wally was always the HC and GM.

One other thing - I have worked for some very good CEOs and if I had a criticism of them at times - some of their outside hires. But in terms of their business acumen and judgment - these were some of the best. What helps is if you have a good process other than just interviews.
South Pender
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:One other thing - I have worked for some very good CEOs and if I had a criticism of them at times - some of their outside hires. But in terms of their business acumen and judgment - these were some of the best. What helps is if you have a good process other than just interviews.
I've found management simulations to be effective predictors of subsequent supervisory/managerial performance--both low- and high-fidelity simulations. I wonder whether the technology of selecting sports-team management has evolved to the point of providing any of these. Certainly the suggestions you've made about probing into planned activities and goals is a good start. I wonder whether Gary Latham's situational interview technique could be utilized here, or is the state-of-the-art too primitive in the area of sports-organization selection?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Prior to my current job I had NEVER interviewed people for a job. Now I frequently have participated in 'panel' interviews. We all hear the persons answer and score it individually. Then we discuss afterwards.

I think that there can be an element of 'groupthink' if panel type interviews are not held properly. I work in a setting where different people DO offer unique perspectives on what we are looking for. At the same time there is always ONE person, in the end, who is responsible for making the hire, getting the contract signed etc......

I work in a healthcare setting and I think these panel type interviews work there. Maybe they'd work in a football setting but I doubt it. I'm sure Wally does some consulting and chatting with various people within the organization but in the end, he's the one who have to take on the duties and responsilbity of hiring the next Head Coach of the BC Lions....
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yep, WHAAAAATTTTT????

That was a VERY bizarre and uneasy thing for Wally to say...there shouldn't be any ASST. on our current staff who should be considered for the HC spot...that's just a reckless comment by Buono!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:Wow. Danny Barrett and Charlie Taaffe (LU article) being considered for the Lions' HC job? Both had .45 records as head coaches. Are they better now?
Well that puts them ahead of LaPolice and his .363 record.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.