Cortez release by Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Wally talked about how he seems to feel he's behind the times in dealing with the players of today. I doubt a guy like Cortez would have the types of skills that Buono thinks todays player needs. Cortez would be more used to the ideas/concepts that have served Wally well.... Just my :2cents:
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Wally talked about how he seems to feel he's behind the times in dealing with the players of today. I doubt a guy like Cortez would have the types of skills that Buono thinks todays player needs. Cortez would be more used to the ideas/concepts that have served Wally well.... Just my :2cents:
Yeah...I agree. I'm not sure just what the ideal official role would be for Cortez--maybe offensive consultant--but his offensive knowledge would be valuable, and it would be nice to be able to access it. Whether or not a new OC would be willing to have him contributing, though, is a question.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote:Wally talked about how he seems to feel he's behind the times in dealing with the players of today. I doubt a guy like Cortez would have the types of skills that Buono thinks todays player needs. Cortez would be more used to the ideas/concepts that have served Wally well.... Just my :2cents:
Yeah...I agree. I'm not sure just what the ideal official role would be for Cortez--maybe offensive consultant--but his offensive knowledge would be valuable, and it would be nice to be able to access it. Whether or not a new OC would be willing to have him contributing, though, is a question.
I'd take Cortez over Khari Jones for next season. But he would not be my choice for offensive coordinator. I believe, as was posted earlier, that we need an offensive system that can best deal with defensive pressure and blitzing. That system has a much better chance of arriving if we have neither Jones or Cortez.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

If Pasquale Buono has a shred of sense left in his vacant head (and I know he doesn't), he would hire George Cortez tonight before he is swooped up by some other CFL team (and he will be).

I not sure who is the more savvy football intellect...John Hufnagel or George Cortez?

Go ahead Wally pass on him like you did John Hufnagel in 2007, and enjoy the taste of ashes in your mouth once again!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally won't hire any OC before hiring a HC and of course letting the contract finish for jones or firing him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

PigSkin_53 wrote:If Pasquale Buono has a shred of sense left in his vacant head (and I know he doesn't), he would hire George Cortez tonight before he is swooped up by some other CFL team (and he will be).

I not sure who is the more savvy football intellect...John Hufnagel or George Cortez?

Go ahead Wally pass on him like you did John Hufnagel in 2007, and enjoy the taste of ashes in your mouth once again!

Hiring Cortez as a HC doesn't fit with Wally's stated desire to get some younger fresher ideas from a new HC.

Cortez didn't last long as a Hamilton HC so I don't see where you get the idea that Huff=Cortez in football intellect so how about some examples to back up your stated opinion?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Football has CHANGED FOR GOOD, it is a game of systems as much as players now...that means that coaching is now more important than ever! Cortez isn't young, and he is a proponent of a system that has been "figured out" by CFL defences. What I have always liked and admired about Cortez, is that HE WILL MAKE ADJUSTMENTS to win games if they are necessary. Plus, Cortez has always been smart enough to ACCENTUATE the talent that you have...he had success in SSK because he knew how well they could run the football...this kept teams guessing on what they would do on a given down and this turned Durant into a better QB than he actually was...would he do that here or would he simply revert back to the spread because of our situation with Dorazio and the OLine...I believe this is a great chance for the Lions to go out and bring in the youngest, brightest minds in football and build around their knowledge and energy...start making it hard for teams to prepare against us, instead of easy under Wally's tenure.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:If Pasquale Buono has a shred of sense left in his vacant head (and I know he doesn't), he would hire George Cortez tonight before he is swooped up by some other CFL team (and he will be).

Hiring Cortez as a HC doesn't fit with Wally's stated desire to get some younger fresher ideas from a new HC.

Cortez didn't last long as a Hamilton HC so I don't see where you get the idea that Huff=Cortez in football intellect so how about some examples to back up your stated opinion?
Both coached CFL teams to several Grey Cup titles, for one...

George Cortez coaching track record:

•Saskatchewan Roughriders – Offensive Coordinator (2013)

•Calgary Stampeders – Associate Head Coach (2008)

•Calgary Stampeders – Quarterbacks (2001)

•Calgary Stampeders – Offensive Coordinator (1998)

•Calgary Stampeders – Offensive line (1992)

Five rings...count them!

The real problem is Wally and the baggage he drags around with him from past failures, particularly with this team!!!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:Football has CHANGED FOR GOOD, it is a game of systems as much as players now...that means that coaching is now more important than ever! Cortez isn't young, and he is a proponent of a system that has been "figured out" by CFL defences. What I have always liked and admired about Cortez, is that HE WILL MAKE ADJUSTMENTS to win games if they are necessary. Plus, Cortez has always been smart enough to ACCENTUATE the talent that you have...he had success in SSK because he knew how well they could run the football...this kept teams guessing on what they would do on a given down and this turned Durant into a better QB than he actually was...would he do that here or would he simply revert back to the spread because of our situation with Dorazio and the OLine...I believe this is a great chance for the Lions to go out and bring in the youngest, brightest minds in football and build around their knowledge and energy...start making it hard for teams to prepare against us, instead of easy under Wally's tenure.
Just because we bring in Cortez doesn't mean Dorazio would necessarily be kept. I do think bringing in Cortez as OC would be a great move, especially if we bring in a more inexperienced HC who could potentially lean on Cortez for some advice (as well as Buono, though you probably want to minimize that). You always want to have a blend of young, innovative minds, and veterans who have been around the game and know what it takes to get it done.
Roar you Lions roar!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:Football has CHANGED FOR GOOD, it is a game of systems as much as players now...that means that coaching is now more important than ever! Cortez isn't young, and he is a proponent of a system that has been "figured out" by CFL defences. What I have always liked and admired about Cortez, is that HE WILL MAKE ADJUSTMENTS to win games if they are necessary. Plus, Cortez has always been smart enough to ACCENTUATE the talent that you have...he had success in SSK because he knew how well they could run the football...this kept teams guessing on what they would do on a given down and this turned Durant into a better QB than he actually was...would he do that here or would he simply revert back to the spread because of our situation with Dorazio and the OLine...I believe this is a great chance for the Lions to go out and bring in the youngest, brightest minds in football and build around their knowledge and energy...start making it hard for teams to prepare against us, instead of easy under Wally's tenure.
Just because we bring in Cortez doesn't mean Dorazio would necessarily be kept. I do think bringing in Cortez as OC would be a great move, especially if we bring in a more inexperienced HC who could potentially lean on Cortez for some advice (as well as Buono, though you probably want to minimize that). You always want to have a blend of young, innovative minds, and veterans who have been around the game and know what it takes to get it done.
I agree with that...Cortez "could" work under the right circumstances, he is a top football mind, but I think we have a chance for real change to the CFL...we will see!

Albert Einstein
The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
I agree with that...Cortez "could" work under the right circumstances, he is a top football mind, but I think we have a chance for real change to the CFL...we will see!
Ideally we have Jeff Garcia as our OC (at least in my mind) but he seemingly isn't interested in that. I would be a lot more comfortable with Garcia as an inexperienced HC if we had someone like George Cortez as our OC who he could lean on for advice. And of course (it goes without saying) a completely new O-line coach (maybe Kelly Bates in house? or someone from the outside, I don't care. Just nobody named Dorazio).
Roar you Lions roar!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
Ideally we have Jeff Garcia as our OC (at least in my mind) but he seemingly isn't interested in that. I would be a lot more comfortable with Garcia as an inexperienced HC if we had someone like George Cortez as our OC who he could lean on for advice. And of course (it goes without saying) a completely new O-line coach (maybe Kelly Bates in house? or someone from the outside, I don't care. Just nobody named Dorazio).
I agree 100%

Albert Einstein
South Pender
Legend

Maybe Jeff Garcia will come as a QB coach, the same position he had with the Als for less than a full season. In my opinion, that would be ideal. He could pay his dues like coaches and coordinators before him and arrive as an OC in perhaps a couple of years. Dave Dickenson--as an example of a superb QB with strong CFL bona fides--put in two years as RB and QB coach in Calgary before ascending to OC. He didn't demand a HC or OC position right away. Why should Garcia? If it's argued that Garcia is that much more deserving than Dickenson, I would have to disagree.
The_Pauser
Legend

South Pender wrote:Maybe Jeff Garcia will come as a QB coach, the same position he had with the Als for less than a full season. In my opinion, that would be ideal. He could pay his dues like coaches and coordinators before him and arrive as an OC in perhaps a couple of years. Dave Dickenson--as an example of a superb QB with strong CFL bona fides--put in two years as RB and QB coach in Calgary before ascending to OC. He didn't demand a HC or OC position right away. Why should Garcia? If it's argued that Garcia is that much more deserving than Dickenson, I would have to disagree.
I highly doubt Garcia would be interested in being a QB coach here.
Roar you Lions roar!
South Pender
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
South Pender wrote:Maybe Jeff Garcia will come as a QB coach, the same position he had with the Als for less than a full season. In my opinion, that would be ideal. He could pay his dues like coaches and coordinators before him and arrive as an OC in perhaps a couple of years. Dave Dickenson--as an example of a superb QB with strong CFL bona fides--put in two years as RB and QB coach in Calgary before ascending to OC. He didn't demand a HC or OC position right away. Why should Garcia? If it's argued that Garcia is that much more deserving than Dickenson, I would have to disagree.
I highly doubt Garcia would be interested in being a QB coach here.
Actually I agree, but I think it would be the appropriate place for him to begin his coaching career.