Cortez release by Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Hambone wrote:
South Pender wrote:Wow. Danny Barrett and Charlie Taaffe (LU article) being considered for the Lions' HC job? Both had .45 records as head coaches. Are they better now?
Well that puts them ahead of LaPolice and his .363 record.
You're right. Yikes! I wonder whether LaPolice is the front-runner in Wally's thinking.

I have to agree with the thinking that Wally probably mentioned considering assistant coaches so as to be seen as casting a wide net. The optics of hiring require the appearance of this, at least, even if the person hiring has a narrower focus. Although we haven't seen this in the CFL, the Rooney Rule in the NFL requires that minority-group candidates be included in any search for a HC or senior football operations position. Wally would be wise to display as wide-open a search as possible (and, in fact, to actually recruit widely). This will reflect well on both the team and the selected HC. There's no harm in attracting lots of interest even if only a very few candidates are actually suitable for the job.
Big Time
Champion

I have a lot of respect for Wally, but he can't seriously be considering Danny Barrett. DB has never won a thing as a head coach, and his unbridled arrogance never seemed to match the utterly mediocre records he produced. His greatest claim to fame as the Riders head coach was losing in OT in the Western Final in 2004 to the Lions. He consistently walked around and acted like he was the greatest coach in the league, yet his teams were known as chronic underachievers that never maximized their talent level. In other words, he is the opposite of what a good coach brings to the table. At least with LaPolice, he had a lack of talent to help explain his record. DB couldn't really use that excuse.

If DB is hired, I'll be watching on TV next year.
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Prior to my current job I had NEVER interviewed people for a job. Now I frequently have participated in 'panel' interviews. We all hear the persons answer and score it individually. Then we discuss afterwards.

I think that there can be an element of 'groupthink' if panel type interviews are not held properly. I work in a setting where different people DO offer unique perspectives on what we are looking for. At the same time there is always ONE person, in the end, who is responsible for making the hire, getting the contract signed etc......

I work in a healthcare setting and I think these panel type interviews work there. Maybe they'd work in a football setting but I doubt it. I'm sure Wally does some consulting and chatting with various people within the organization but in the end, he's the one who have to take on the duties and responsilbity of hiring the next Head Coach of the BC Lions....
Right. The kind of panel interview that I had envisioned is one structured as you have described it, but with operational, "how would you solve this problem" kinds of questions. That's Latham's idea of the situational interview. The questions could (and should) be very far-reaching, involving not only day-to-day operations, but also goals, ethical standards, a long-term perspective, and vision--something of a mission statement. To avoid fatigue, there could be more than one session. However, the one obstacle that I see is assembling an expert panel to work with Wally in the interview process. In most organizations (and Toppy would know more about this), the panel consists of senior managers (unless the position to be filled is a senior VP or CEO). With the Lions' brain trust, I'm not sure who would be right for this panel role. You can't very well have lower-level coaches, since they might be reporting to the new HC hire, and this might color their assessments. The best bet might be to try to hire a few very solid football people from outside the organization to constitute the panel. I have difficulty in seeing Dennis Skulsky being very effective in this role--or David Braley for that matter. It's not that they're not effective in their line of work, but rather that they are not really football men.

It's true that Wally is really the guy who will be making the final decision, but having a solid, knowledgeable, and unbiased panel guiding him could help him avoid the various kinds of selection errors (like personal biases) that attend hiring interviews conducted by a single person. He needs to do this right, and bringing in a personnel-selection expert might be a good start to the process.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
DanoT wrote:Wally wouldn't rule out one of the current assistant coaches being considered for the HC job...WHAAAAAAAAAT? :dizzy:

Dan Dorazio, the new Lions HC :clown:

OTOH it has been reported that Khari Jones still has a year left on his contract...so I guess that might make him a candidate.

I think Wally made the statement about the assistants being considered for the HC job just to appear all inclusive in his search and to make the final choice look better by comparison to who is on staff now.

Yep, WHAAAAATTTTT????

That was a VERY bizarre and uneasy thing for Wally to say...there shouldn't be any ASST. on our current staff who should be considered for the HC spot...that's just a reckless comment by Buono!
He's probably silencing his critics that a wide exhaustive search was not done prior to hiring Benevides.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The number one technique relied upon to hire managers - the interview.
The worst predictor of managerial success - the interview.

Structured interviews/situational all good stuff but....

What a prospective HC of a football team has to present and layout is:

1. If in the CFL, his view of the current state of the BC Lions - problems and prospects.
2. His philosophy.
3. Outline the kind of culture he works best in as a coach and what he'd want to do with this team and how exactly would he do this. Who would he be modeling himself after as a great HC.
4. How he sees the role of HC. If he is not a HC what adjustments will he have to make to be a success.
5. His take on our coaching staff. What he'd do with them. If he needs to recruit, who is coming with him? CAN HE ASSEMBLE A WINNING STAFF?
6. His role and that of the coordinators.
7. Game day/ practices etc.
8. Media and fan relations - important but not top of list.

In Wally's case he might want to bring in some help to get a panel to listen and help evaluate but he has to be careful not to be held captive to advice.

When I hired managers in a training group every other person at first rejected my choice. When I hired my last one in that large department for moving to a VP role they opposed my choice for a new management role setting computer based training and testing so I got annoyed and asked if they wanted me to reveal what they had said about each other before they all arrived...lol . they got the point and not longer realized this woman was brilliant in the role of all male managers.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:The number one technique relied upon to hire managers - the interview.
The worst predictor of managerial success - the interview.

Structured interviews/situational all good stuff but....

What a prospective HC of a football team has to present and layout is:

1. If in the CFL, his view of the current state of the BC Lions - problems and prospects.
2. His philosophy.
3. Outline the kind of culture he works best in as a coach and what he'd want to do with this team and how exactly would he do this. Who would he be modeling himself after as a great HC.
4. How he sees the role of HC. If he is not a HC what adjustments will he have to make to be a success.
5. His take on our coaching staff. What he'd do with them. If he needs to recruit, who is coming with him? CAN HE ASSEMBLE A WINNING STAFF?
6. His role and that of the coordinators.
7. Game day/ practices etc.
8. Media and fan relations - important but not top of list.

In Wally's case he might want to bring in some help to get a panel to listen and help evaluate but he has to be careful not to be held captive to advice.

When I hired managers in a training group every other person at first rejected my choice. When I hired my last one in that large department for moving to a VP role they opposed my choice for a new management role setting computer based training and testing so I got annoyed and asked if they wanted me to reveal what they had said about each other before they all arrived...lol . they got the point and not longer realized this woman was brilliant in the role of all male managers.
Nice list, Toppy.

A good look at some Xs and Os too. Preferred systems.

Review some Lions' tape from 2014.

Coaching style at practice.

Game day sideline structure. Notes, demeanour, dealing with officials.

Pregame talk. Post game talk. Not script, but style.

The culture to be established. How to get there.

And I am pretty sure the candidates will want to discuss the GM/HC working relationship. Duties. Autonomy.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: Right. The kind of panel interview that I had envisioned is one structured as you have described it, but with operational, "how would you solve this problem" kinds of questions.
It's true that Wally is really the guy who will be making the final decision, but having a solid, knowledgeable, and unbiased panel guiding him could help him avoid the various kinds of selection errors (like personal biases) that attend hiring interviews conducted by a single person. He needs to do this right, and bringing in a personnel-selection expert might be a good start to the process.
Yes, in our panel interviews its those operational questions (we call them case scenarios) that really seperate candidates answers.
I'm still wondering how he fixes the 'out of touch' perspective he admits he has. Buono admits he's not sure how to handle 'todays' player in some ways. So how would you know you've hired a guy that is in touch? Maybe in a weird way Buono develops this panel but in the process finds out HIS GUY is someone on the panel!?! There would be nothing wrong with that, IMO.....
South Pender
Legend

Well the choice of questions and scenarios is very important, but what I was getting at is the enormous gains in both reliability and validity of the ratings when multiple data points are aggregated. This is where the panel interview is valuable. Instead of being held captive to the biases of a single interviewer, using multiple ratings to each question and/or scenario helps to wash out individual bias, halo effects, and so on. As for getting a guy who is "in touch" with today's players, that could be a central focus (or one of several) of the questions/scenarios. Having perhaps younger, but knowledgeable, panel members would be important too in this context.
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Well the choice of questions and scenarios is very important, but what I was getting at is the enormous gains in both reliability and validity of the ratings when multiple data points are aggregated. This is where the panel interview is valuable. Instead of being held captive to the biases of a single interviewer, using multiple ratings to each question and/or scenario helps to wash out individual bias, halo effects, and so on. As for getting a guy who is "in touch" with today's players, that could be a central focus (or one of several) of the questions/scenarios. Having perhaps younger, but knowledgeable, panel members would be important too in this context.

Wally could always ask a former friend/coach Dave Ritchie and perhaps Roy Shivers or Don Matthews to sit in on the interviews and provide feedback to him. Of course Buono has to wear the decision so in the end he would need the ability to make the final decision.

In my experience with panel hiring, each question is rated, in terms of the interview. But the interview is only one aspect of the process. You could even give each perspective coach a take home scenario question as well as scenario questions in the interview.

Here are some scenario examples

1. Under what circumstances would you bench J. R. LaRose. Answer: if he wasn't playing well. Strike One
2. What would be your favorite strategy to confront a full blitz. Answer: Go with 6 recievers and an empty backfield. Positive points plus a bonus point for maximizing the use of the spread offence. Worked like hell in Calgary in the 90's.
3. Give an example of a motivational strategy that you have used in the past that has worked for you? Answer: On a hot summer practice day, I get each player a treat of a cup of hot tea. 1 point plus a bonus point for innovation in that you didn;'t choose a cold treat like our last Head Coach. The team went cold on him after all those cold treats.Your idea could lead to a hot streak.
4. If you had three Canadian recievers on your roster and you could only start one of them, which one would you start, the one with a French background, a Greek background, or an Italian background? Answer: I'd pick the best one. Strike 2 - you should have chosen the receiver with the Italian background.
5.. As the GM I just made a trade for a player who is completely useless. There is a receiver on the roster who can play much better at the same position that the player I just traded for. Which one would you start. Answer: The better player who is on the roster. Strike 3. You should have said I would play the player you traded for....even if you have to throw him one yard outs and two yard wide bubble screens. He must get the football somehow. If asked about the trade you should have said it was the trade of the milenium.

Thanks for applying for the job. We are cutting your interview short. It appears that your personality is not the best fit for this job. :wink:

I'm boring you all to death but I'm amusing myself.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not boring. Quite amusing. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
South Pender wrote:Well the choice of questions and scenarios is very important, but what I was getting at is the enormous gains in both reliability and validity of the ratings when multiple data points are aggregated. This is where the panel interview is valuable. Instead of being held captive to the biases of a single interviewer, using multiple ratings to each question and/or scenario helps to wash out individual bias, halo effects, and so on. As for getting a guy who is "in touch" with today's players, that could be a central focus (or one of several) of the questions/scenarios. Having perhaps younger, but knowledgeable, panel members would be important too in this context.

Wally could always ask a former friend/coach Dave Ritchie and perhaps Roy Shivers or Don Matthews to sit in on the interviews and provide feedback to him. Of course Buono has to wear the decision so in the end he would need the ability to make the final decision.

In my experience with panel hiring, each question is rated, in terms of the interview. But the interview is only one aspect of the process. You could even give each perspective coach a take home scenario question as well as scenario questions in the interview.

1. Under what circumstances would you bench J. R. LaRose. Answer: if he wasn't playing well. Strike One
2. What would be your favorite strategy to confront a full blitz. Answer: Go with 6 recievers and an empty backfield. Positive points plus a bonus point for maximizing the use of the spread offence. Worked like hell in Calgary in the 90's.
3. Give an example of a motivational strategy that you have used in the past that has worked for you? Answer: On a hot summer practice day, I get each player a treat of a cup of hot tea. 1 point plus a bonus point for innovation in that you didn;'t choose a cold treat like our last Head Coach. The team went cold on him after all those cold treats.Your idea could lead to a hot streak.
4. If you had three Canadian recievers on your roster and you could only start one of them, which one would you start, the one with a French background, a Greek background, or an Italian background? Answer: I'd pick the best one. Strike 2 - you should have chosen the receiver with the Italian background.
5.. As the GM I just made a trade for a player who is completely useless. There is a receiver on the roster who can play much better at the same position that the player I just traded for. Which one would you start. Answer: The better player who is on the roster. Strike 3. You should have said I would play the player you traded for....even if you have to throw him one yard outs and two yard wide bubble screens. He must get the football somehow. If asked about the trade you should have said it was the trade of the milenium.

Thanks for applying for the job. We are cutting your interview short. It appears that your personality is not the best fit for this job. :wink:

Got a chuckle or two out of me.

To be honest though your #2 point regarding the blitz (meaning the football technique and not you- Blitz :wink: ) IS something I think could be worked into a solid case scenario. Another :bang: that would have been a required case scenario up until mid-way this season is having under a yard to go on 2 &/or 3rd down.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Wally could always ask a former friend/coach Dave Ritchie and perhaps Roy Shivers or Don Matthews to sit in on the interviews and provide feedback to him. Of course Buono has to wear the decision so in the end he would need the ability to make the final decision.

:wink: :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Situational questions are fine but from my experience I also ask similar questions to their references. A lot of times, the references' perception is totally different from the candidate's.

One more thing; check the candidate's Facebook page and see what he's really doing and saying. :wink:
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Situational questions are fine but from my experience I also ask similar questions to their references. A lot of times, the references' perception is totally different from the candidate's.

One more thing; check the candidate's Facebook page and see what he's really doing and saying. :wink:
Agreed. There could be categories being rated - 1) qualifications 2) experience (quality) 3. resume/application 4. interview 6(based on simulation/scenario questions 5. references (contact previous employers, colleague coaches, players, the trainer etc. done confidentially.

That Facebook page can get one in trouble....you fox TheLionKing. I just took down my Mexico holiday photos before D sees them and boots me off this website on an ethics violation. :wink: Its important that a Lionbacker has a good community image. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Very funny Blitz!!!!

Joe, I think your list makes a lot of sense...I have never believed that you can make the right hire of this magnitude over a 3 or 4 hour, one day interview...if you are serious about a candidate, as part of a final list, that person needs to fly out and spend a few days with Wally...talk at the stadium, down on the "grass", go out to Surrey in the rain and talk about practices...sit in the office and go over film...

The bottom line for any GM is that SCENARIO questions are the most valuable tools to fetter out truth...you have to go over the most crucial scenarios in a football game to understand what this coach will do. But THE MOST important discussion is on systems...what are you proposing as our base D and O...who are thinking will run the O, the D, the S Ts, the OLine, DLine, Receivers, etc...how do these systems compete with John Hufnagel, Chris Jones and Kent Austin??? That's who you have to beat to get the big game, how are we going to do it? Then, its PERSONNEL...what do you think about our roster, group by group, player by player...where do we have to get better, how are we going to find these replacements...

If the candidate can wow Wally over three days, and answer all these questions in a fashion that Wally can understand and begin to trust in, then that's your guy! For me, beyond the systems, coaches and players discussions, the most important question of all??? How are you going to beat Rich Stubler, Dave Dickenson and John Hufnagel in Calgary?
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein