Lions' Post Season and on into 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay ...

9-9. As a team, we are not feeling good. Not good enough.

Do everything to be a leader on this team. Get healthy.

Personnel turnover? There is always going to be change.

Aside from my shoulder, this body is ready to play. No surgery.

Mitchell and Collaros and their coaches deserve a lot of credit.

Locker room problems? 9-9. No question we were not who we want to be in the locker room.

If we had an offensive minded HC of course I would take advantage of that.

Certainly he plans to be back playing.

(He is very relaxed with the media.

Some guy is asking a five minute long question, and we cannot hear it. -- WCJ )

Running is an important of being a CFL quarterback.

The team is putting Lulay out front. Good choice. He is such a clean cut role model. No baggage. Careful in what he says.

Buono ...

CFL big winner in Grey Cup week. Speaks well of Vancouver and B.C. Congratulations to Calgary and Hamilton.

Vancouver with the mountains, the water and the snow. Best city in the world.

MIstakes? Do over? Yes. Intent to win. It is about winning. If you don't win there are issues and consequences.

Goals: Competitive. Exciting. Win more games.

Meetings: Offence. Defence. STs.

Friday. Medical staff meeting.

Personnel meetings in two weeks. Camps, et cetera. Cdn draft. Replenish the team.

The other big thing: Option contracts coming to an end in this league. Marsh. Mitchell. Schmitt. Jamall J. K Glenn. Free agents.

Head Coach? Contacts start now. After GC week. Process has started. Gonna be somewhat vague with the media. Formulate in his mind: what the coach will be. Head Coach and QB the most important to a team.

John Hufnagel is the best HC in the country. Mitchell is the best QB in this league. Two critical areas.

Cycle. Not always on top. 9-9 is not acceptaable here. Address the issues. Fix the issues. Change what has occurred. Everyone is part of the blame. Humiliated in the playoffs. We all wear that. Mistakes? Yes.

Too many mistakes? You are not employed.

He speaks well off the cuff, without notes. Covers all the bases.

Compete. Improve. Be a viable contender for the championship.

Q and A

Mistakes? Wally did not want to get specific. Personnel decisions did not pan out.

I interviewed people yesterday and today. No calls yet to Calgary or Hamilton. Let them celebrate until Wednesday, et cetera.

No time table.

Autonomy? Wally says he gave autonomy. GM is responsible for football operations. Wally asks, what is autonomy? Someone has to make a decision. GM should not win every fight. Wally says he is a resource.

Game, 3 and a half hours, game is on the shoulders of the HC and the QB. Autonomy is a slippery word.

Wally is not going to apologize for how he was in terms of autonomy. He says the players felt Wally had more input than he actually had. Players did come to him. They had confidence in him. He would send them to the HC. But they did come to him.

Wally says he was never more involved than he was asked. He sees things as a Head Coach.

Dickenson. Barrett. No limits on the search. US also. Qualities. Xs and Os. Head Coach experience. Trial and error under fire.

Fresh ideas. We have to change the environment and the culture.

National O Line depth is critical to a team.

Autonomy? Benevides had the right to keep any coaches he wanted. New HC can keep any he wants or not.

Culture of winning. Pay the price to win.

This can all be fixed. He wants to get everybody on side.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My rough notes above ...

Some impressions.

Wally is, and has always been dedicated to winning. He is willing to work as hard as possible to make that happen.

He gives decisions the care and time they need.

He sets high standards.

He is willing to make the tough decisions.

He is very good at press conferences. Speaks well without notes. Covers the important issues.

Gong forward.

I thought he showed that he might see autonomy differently than I do, and that some in the media see.

I have expressed my views on this previously. I will wait for some feedback before going further in my comments.

Wally will give the selection of the HC all the attention and care that it needs.

Will he pick the right guy? Who knows? Will we all agree with his selection? Not possible.

So, we will see ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay opting not to have another shoulder surgery.
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Lulay opting not to have another shoulder surgery.

He is crazy , if he thinks he can still play
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Lulay opting not to have another shoulder surgery.
Thanks TLK...He is opting not to have surgery because he HAS NO CHOICE...the shoulder joint with the rotator cuff is an EXACT, precise creation...it does not tolerate scar tissue because there is limited room to move in that space...to throw the ball with force and with accuracy, you must have range of motion...I don't see how after the shoulder has been out of the joint so often with surgery already...chances of Lulay playing again are 50/50, chances of Lulay finishing a season or being effective, ZERO.

Joe, thanks very much...GREAT REPORT! At this point Wally has said all that he is going to say...the game is on...we will see what happens!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Thanks TLK...He is opting not to have surgery because he HAS NO CHOICE...the shoulder joint with the rotator cuff is an EXACT, precise creation...it does not tolerate scar tissue because there is limited room to move in that space...to throw the ball with force and with accuracy, you must have range of motion...I don't see how after the shoulder has been out of the joint so often with surgery already...chances of Lulay playing again are 50/50, chances of Lulay finishing a season or being effective, ZERO.
I agree. The only thing guaranteed with shoulder surgery is that it won't prevent further injuries. Ricky Ray had labrum surgery recently and the Argos hope he'll be ready for training camp, but that's what the Lions thought this year with Lulay. His best hope is to continue to strengthen the shoulder to be ready for the start of the season. I expect 2015 to be another year when the Lions rely heavily on their backup QB, whoever that may be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I expect 2015 to be another year when the Lions rely heavily on their backup QB, whoever that may be.
If such QB has to come in a trade I suspect the asking price will be higher than the 1st round draft pick we ceded for Glenn. Word is out on Lulay's shoulder and it puts us in a weaker bargaining position.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay also stated that he's going to change his approach to the game. I guess that means no more lowering your shoulder and run over defensive backs and linebackers.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Jim Morris has a report for cfl.ca:

Morris: Buono lays out lengthy off-season plan
Morris: Buono lays out lengthy off-season plan

Posted: December 02, 2014 09:00 PM
Updated: December 02, 2014 10:07 PM
Jim Morris, CFL.ca

Wally Buono’s legacy as a CFL coach has already been secured.

Buono’s legacy as a general manager will come under scrutiny this winter as he tries to repair the damage done to a B.C. Lions team that was mediocre on the playing field and looked to lack an identity in the dressing room.

Buono stated the obvious this week when he said the Lions weren’t good enough. Finishing 9-9, then being humiliated 50-17 by the Montreal Alouettes in a crossover playoff game, sent ripples through a proud organization.

“It’s not acceptable here,” said Buono, who won more games than any other CFL coach.

“If you don’t win there are issues, usually there are consequences. We are at the point now where we have to analyze where we are at, where we are going, and what do we do to make sure this team is lot more competitive, a lot more exciting, and wins a lot more football games.”

Some of those consequences have already been felt.

Head coach Mike Benevides, Buono’s hand-picked successor, was fired the week following the playoff loss.

To no one’s surprise, Buono confirmed veteran quarterback Kevin Glenn, who guided the team all season while Travis Lulay tried to recover from a damaged shoulder, won’t be offered a new contract.

The list of veterans who won’t be back includes cornerback Dante Marsh, defensive tackle Khalif Mitchell, punter Ricky Schmitt and linebacker Jamall Johnson.

Buono doesn’t absolve himself of blame for what happened. He can’t change the past, only try to affect the future.

“We are very disappointed in what occurred,” Buono told a news conference. “My job is to turn around and fix the issues.

“Did I make mistakes? Yes, I made mistakes. Would I redo some of the things that maybe I did? Yes. Was the intent to help this football team win? Yes.”

Buono believes the two most important cornerstones in building a winning team are the head coach and the quarterback.

It’s clear the search for Benevides’ replacement has started. The quarterbacking issue remains foggy.

The Lions traded for Glenn as an insurance premium against Lulay’s health. It’s a policy that didn’t pay off.

Lulay underwent shoulder surgery last November. He started the season on the injured list, worked his way back into the lineup, then ripped up the shoulder again on Sept. 5 against Ottawa, his only start of the season.

Injuries have resulted in Lulay starting just 12 of the last 36 regular-season games. He knows questions are swirling about his longevity and if he ever can be the same quarterback who was league MVP in 2011.

“Having been hurt each of the last two season, until I can stand in there week in and week out, withstanding hits and keep standing, those questions will be there,” Lulay said.

“That’s fine. That’s something I have to deal with.”

Lulay plans is to be healthy by training camp, but even that’s not guaranteed.

“There is so much uncertainty in sport,” he said. “I wish I could sit here and say I’m going to start every single game of the season next year but that is unrealistic.

“What I can control is giving myself the platform, the foundation, of a healthy body going in.”

There have been suggestions Buono’s presence makes it difficult for any head coach. Buono said he doesn’t meddle and his head coach has full autonomy.

“I was never more involved than when I was asked,” Buono said.

Yet, during the news conference, Buono spoke up when Lulay was asked if he might have to change his playing style in the future.

“I am going to encourage the coach to encourage Travis to be a quarterback, to be an aggressive quarterback,” said Buono speaking from the back of the room. “But there is times where he has to be a bystander.

“If the ball is on the ground, if it’s fumbled, is it worth sacrificing your quarterback? If the ball is intercepted, is it worth sacrificing your quarterback. I am saying it is not.”

Buono said he waited until after Grey Cup before asking permission to speak to coaches currently under contract to other teams.

He was asked specifically about Dave Dickensen, the former B.C. quarterback who is currently offensive coordinator with the Grey Cup champion Calgary Stampeders.

“I am going to ask a number of teams if I can have permission,” he replied.

Other names being mentioned as candidates include Hamilton Tiger-Cat defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer; former Hamilton coach Marcel Bellefeuille; one time head coach Paul LaPolice; and Montreal defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe.

The search could expand into the U.S.

“We are going south of the 49th parallel too,” Buono said.

“There might be candidates that are not part of our league that are a part of other leagues.”

One of the jobs of the new coach will be to change attitudes inside the locker room.

“We have to change the environment and the culture,” said Buono.

Buono’s ability to get the most out of his players on the field gave him credibility as a coach. His credibility as a general manager will be tested now as he attempts stop a franchise from sliding in the wrong direction.

“The offseason is about addressing the issues, not skirting them,” Buono said. “It’s about putting ourselves back in the position where you can compete, where you can improve, where you can be a viable contender for a championship.

“We have a lot of work to do. We have a lot of important decisions to make. And at the end of the day we have a lot of room for improvements.”
"...going south of the 49th..."

Trestman is an obvious reference there but could there be someone else? From the NFL or NCAA?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally and the autonomy issue - I tend to see it his way. He is the GM and is supposed to have a role. Should he be on the roof as it sends a bad signal - perhaps not.

MB did his own thing and in fact I'd argue that he needed more not less guidance:
> Wally surely didn't tell him run around on the sidelines chest bumping players.
> Nor did he likely tell the HC to motor mouth and rag on the referees in freaking pre-season while he's mic'd up.
> He didn't call the plays, make bonehead decisions in games, and he didn't tell his HC to trash talk Phillips and Marsh.

Lulay is in fantasyland. QB is about running - well he'll run a few times until the first hit.

Face of the franchise!!! Fans can't possibly believe he can play next year.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Wally and the autonomy issue - I tend to see it his way. He is the GM and is supposed to have a role. Should he be on the roof as it sends a bad signal - perhaps not.

MB did his own thing and in fact I'd argue that he needed more not less guidance:
> Wally surely didn't tell him run around on the sidelines chest bumping players.
> Nor did he likely tell the HC to motor mouth and rag on the referees in freaking pre-season while he's mic'd up.
> He didn't call the plays, make bonehead decisions in games, and he didn't tell his HC to trash talk Phillips and Marsh.

Lulay is in fantasyland. QB is about running - well he'll run a few times until the first hit.

Face of the franchise!!! Fans can't possibly believe he can play next year.
The problem here is that Wally the GM shouldn't have to wait until the fans recognize the situation, he should be at least a couple of steps ahead of the fans in his moves. All too often it has been the reverse. His other problem as I see it, is a limited selection of potential HC's, as most of the real candidates over the past couple of seasons are in charge of one team or another. That doesn't mean that he won't find a gem, just that things will have to fall his way.

As for Lulay, I hope that he can go from the start, but there had better be a real life safety net at 2nd string. Opting to forego surgery makes sense to me, as his surgery lasted less than one game and sidelined him for the first half of the season. This way he may be ready for start one, but any hit is going to have the Lion fan base collectively holding their breath.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lulay should be able to slightly change the way he plays by moving around in the pocket to escape a sack, but then throw the ball away instead of taking off running if no one is open or he can run out of bounds instead of trying for the 1st down, or do more hook sliding.

However, my big concern is Lulay's arm strength. Can he throw the long ball with authority and accuracy and can he zip it in a short timing pattern? If a lack of arm strength removes the the effectiveness of the long passing game instead of the opponents D, then the D can ignore deep coverage and focus on stopping the short pass and run and then the Lions O will struggle big time.

My really, really big concern is the play of the O line. If it is the same old same old teflon Dan Dorizio coaching the O line then whoever is the QB will have trouble finding a comfort zone once the ball is snapped. :bang:
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:Lulay should be able to slightly change the way he plays by moving around in the pocket to escape a sack, but then throw the ball away instead of taking off running if no one is open or he can run out of bounds instead of trying for the 1st down, or do more hook sliding.

However, my big concern is Lulay's arm strength. Can he throw the long ball with authority and accuracy and can he zip it in a short timing pattern? If a lack of arm strength removes the the effectiveness of the long passing game instead of the opponents D, then the D can ignore deep coverage and focus on stopping the short pass and run and then the Lions O will struggle big time.

My really, really big concern is the play of the O line. If it is the same old same old teflon Dan Dorizio coaching the O line then whoever is the QB will have trouble finding a comfort zone once the ball is snapped. :bang:
I just hope we don't put all our eggs in the Lulay basket. If he comes into camp and is ready to be the starter and makes it through a full season healthy, GREAT! But that hasn't happened since 2011, and we can't risk another season going down the toilet on his shoulder.

Absolutely agree with you on the O line too. I'm hoping Kelly Bates gets a chance to coach the O line, and Dorazio is punted off the team. We need new blocking schemes that are simplified and make sense. Protect our QB! Open holes for our RB!
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

The_Pauser wrote:
DanoT wrote:Lulay should be able to slightly change the way he plays by moving around in the pocket to escape a sack, but then throw the ball away instead of taking off running if no one is open or he can run out of bounds instead of trying for the 1st down, or do more hook sliding.

I just hope we don't put all our eggs in the Lulay basket. If he comes into camp and is ready to be the starter and makes it through a full season healthy, GREAT! But that hasn't happened since 2011, and we can't risk another season going down the toilet on his shoulder.

Absolutely agree with you on the O line too. I'm hoping Kelly Bates gets a chance to coach the O line, and Dorazio is punted off the team. We need new blocking schemes that are simplified and make sense. Protect our QB! Open holes for our RB!
This is why I think someone like Lefevour is a great choice. Legitimate shot at being the starter and proven to be capable if Lulay cannot go/does not heal as anticipated. Also, is a FA so won;t cost us anything (Like Tate would)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that, sj.
sj-roc wrote:Jim Morris has a report for cfl.ca:
Wally Buono’s legacy as a CFL coach has already been secured.

Buono’s legacy as a general manager will come under scrutiny this winter as he tries to repair the damage done to a B.C. Lions team that was mediocre on the playing field and looked to lack an identity in the dressing room.

Buono stated the obvious this week when he said the Lions weren’t good enough. Finishing 9-9, then being humiliated 50-17 by the Montreal Alouettes in a crossover playoff game, sent ripples through a proud organization.
WB's decisions as a GM will bring much scrutiny.
“It’s not acceptable here,” said Buono, who won more games than any other CFL coach.

“If you don’t win there are issues, usually there are consequences. We are at the point now where we have to analyze where we are at, where we are going, and what do we do to make sure this team is lot more competitive, a lot more exciting, and wins a lot more football games.”
“Did I make mistakes? Yes, I made mistakes. Would I redo some of the things that maybe I did? Yes. Was the intent to help this football team win? Yes.”
Buono believes the two most important cornerstones in building a winning team are the head coach and the quarterback.
Agreed.

And from the press conference, I agree with Wally when he says the best Head Coach in the league is John Hufnagel, and the best quarterback is Bo Levi Mitchell.
There have been suggestions Buono’s presence makes it difficult for any head coach. Buono said he doesn’t meddle and his head coach has full autonomy.

“I was never more involved than when I was asked,” Buono said.
From his comments, it seems to me Wally intends to stay with his approach to the level of autonomy for the Head Coach. In other words, it sounds to me like Wally intends to stay quite involved in areas that could be considered the turf of the Head Coach. And Wally says the 3 and a half hours of the games belong to the Head Coach.
Buono’s ability to get the most out of his players on the field gave him credibility as a coach. His credibility as a general manager will be tested now as he attempts stop a franchise from sliding in the wrong direction.

“The offseason is about addressing the issues, not skirting them,” Buono said. “It’s about putting ourselves back in the position where you can compete, where you can improve, where you can be a viable contender for a championship.

“We have a lot of work to do. We have a lot of important decisions to make. And at the end of the day we have a lot of room for improvements.”