Lions' Post Season and on into 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:When you think about it, there are many other players that Wally could have trotted out as the face of the franchise entering 2015:

- Solomon Elimimian, CFL most outstanding player and record-setting leader of one of he league' stop defences
- Andrew Harris, sparkplug of the Lions' rushing and passing attack and CFLPA all-star despite missing a third of the season to injury
- Jovan Olafioye, four-time CFL all-star lineman
- Emmanuel Arceneaux, the team's leading receiver

The Lions have a solid mix of proven veterans and promising youngsters at almost every position except QB. Wally could have accentuated the solid foundation on which he new coach can build. Instead we're left to focus on 2015 as a season that hinges on the shaky health of Lulay.
True. There is an abundance of talent.

Was it a mistake to bring Lulay out there as the only player representative? Perhaps bring out a select handful of guys such as you mention, including Lulay, might have been better. Wally did talk about the relative good health of the team. Perhaps having some of them out there would have been more inspirational. The guys still have spirit and belief.

And the fans always have hope. Things can turn around fast in this league. Edmonton did it in one year. Montreal and Hamilton did it within this one year. B.C. did it in 2011.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:When you think about it, there are many other players that Wally could have trotted out as the face of the franchise entering 2015:

- Solomon Elimimian, CFL most outstanding player and record-setting leader of one of the league's top defences
- Andrew Harris, sparkplug of the Lions' rushing and passing attack and CFLPA all-star despite missing a third of the season to injury
- Jovan Olafioye, four-time CFL all-star lineman
- Emmanuel Arceneaux, the team's leading receiver

The Lions have a solid mix of proven veterans and promising youngsters at almost every position except QB. Wally could have accentuated the solid foundation on which he new coach can build. Instead we're left to focus on 2015 as a season that hinges on the shaky health of Lulay.
I don't see Lulay at the press conference with Wally as a big deal. One of the first question from the media is going to be on the health of Lulay. Might as well face it head on and get it done with.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:Frankly, I think that there's far too much crepe-hanging going on these days at Lionbackers. Sure, we're all staunch Lions fans and want desperately to see them succeed, but, hey, let's all be a little more Italian about this (meant as a compliment to Italians). The team is not facing doom and abject failure. Adjustments will be made with respect to players who are no longer effective and, in all likelihood, coaches who lack the requisite skills. The talent level in the CFL is fairly even across the nine teams; the salary cap helps to ensure this. We will acquire a new head coach who, in all likelihood, will have some success, and the team will return to a respectable level of competitiveness. I don't agree with some of the negative characterizations of Buono, and I think he, as much as any of us on this forum and probably more, wants to find the key to success in 2015. He's an old pro, and I very much doubt that he's going to make a terrible HC selection. Only the benefit of hindsight has enabled us (and Buono) to see the promotion of Benevides to HC as a mistake. We were pretty well all sanguine about the Benevides appointment when it was announced. I for one am not going to wring my hands in anticipation over this. Let's sit back and wait and see who's appointed, and then, perhaps, we can wring our hands--but it would be waste of time then too. As Aaron Rodgers spelled out to Packers fans when the team was 1-2 after the first three games and fans were spiralling down into debilitating levels of depression and anxiety: R-E-L-A-X (and the Pack has been 8-1 since).
Wow SP, either you are choosing not to read what is being posted here or you know something that we don't...because the Lions are teetering on the brink of disaster. Yes we have a very strong talent base (as I have always said) but not with our Coaches and not with the QB position, and Wally just let everyone know that they are the two most important areas in CDN football. Perhaps you don't see through the Lion's 9-9 record this season...we got very lucky with who we played (and how many times), where and when we played teams...this Lion's team in my eyes were no better than a 7-11 team and could have easily gone 5-13 this season. How was it that I was able to predict the Lion's defensive implosion back in week 8? Because it was so obvious how Washington was confusing offences, and it was through a "cheat" that could be exploited any time a CFL wished to...beyond that, we weren't getting pressure by rushing 4 and our blitz packages were inconsistent AT BEST! Offensively, that was probably the worst season for a non-franchised team in league history, and look at the talent that our offence had at its disposal!!! Our Unspecial Teams hit a new all time low, and that was with the benefit of using an INT spot on a PUNTER!

You might not see it around the rest of the league, but I do...O'Shea, a rookie HC in WPG (who had done nothing but lose for the past few years) started the season winning 5 or 6 in a row...that's not a fluke or beginner's luck, that was a coach who had the entire team pointed in one positive direction...it wasn't until injuries to their wafer thin O and DLines, plus injuries to their limited talent that WPG started losing. Believe me, when O'Shea gets talent and depth WPG will start winning again. Rich Campbell in OTT and his staff showed me a TON with constant bonehead player mistakes killing them game in and game out. They have great potential at their base. MTL turned things around mid season by firing much of their coaching staff and had LESS talent than the Lions and continuity and they were leading us 50-3 in the playoff game before they EASED OFF! Chris Jones in EDM took perhaps the league's worst talent base and made them GC contenders...what will Jones do with actual talent and depth??? And if fans thought that we were roughed up by injuries this season, Scott Milanovich in TOR could trump that in a second, on top of having to worry about financial issues for the team or where they were going to practise this week or next! The fact is this league has CHANGED and is now featuring some of the brightest minds in football...and we are still trotting out Khari Jones, Dan Dorazio and Chuck McMann...plus Joe Paopao coaches receivers...is this meant as comic fodder or was Wally actually being serious???

The good news is that we do have the talent here...we have a system that can get us more talent, but we need to start attracting the odd Free Agent, we must develop our own draft picks and we must design new systems that can compete with CGY, EDM, SSK, HAM, MTL and TOR...not get blown out my MTL when they were starting a "babe in the woods" QB and coaching staff!!! What about their turnaround time? MTL turned their fortunes around MID SEASON and gave HAM a tough ride in the Eastern Final...now that team MGT...admitting when you are wrong and then doing something about it and NOT WAITING TO DO SO and not making excuses!!!!

Yeah, I'd say the we need to do more than R-E-L-A-X...as we don't have Aaron Rodgers QBing this team...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:It was kind of sad seeing Travis rolled out again. Even with his bad shoulder and career in serious jeopardy he is the best QB the Lions have to offer their fan base right now so the GM says Travis needs to be more careful next season not to re-injure it again. If it was only that simple. Hopefully, they won back the confidence of a few fans.

I kind of think Travis's nickname should be "Carrot." Not because of his obvious red hair either. It's because the club keeps dangling him to the media and fans to provide hope, and tease us with this "will he play or won't he....he might" dance.

Between us guys, I don't think there was a snowball's chance in hell of Travis coming back toward the end of this past season. I'll bet doctors advised him to shut it down. I'm also willing to bet that Travis had a hard time going on the radio each Monday morning and spinning the same story as he's such an honest guy. Not buying this "injured in warm-up" bit in Montreal for a second. TSN showed him throwing light passes in warm-up with a smile on his face. Did this shoulder 'tweak' happen after that? I highly doubt it. There was ZERO intention of putting him in that game. The deception around Travis's condition has been nothing short of head-scratching - just so the public's confidence in the organization doesn't wane.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Frankly, I think that there's far too much crepe-hanging going on these days at Lionbackers. Sure, we're all staunch Lions fans and want desperately to see them succeed, but, hey, let's all be a little more Italian about this (meant as a compliment to Italians). The team is not facing doom and abject failure. Adjustments will be made with respect to players who are no longer effective and, in all likelihood, coaches who lack the requisite skills. The talent level in the CFL is fairly even across the nine teams; the salary cap helps to ensure this. We will acquire a new head coach who, in all likelihood, will have some success, and the team will return to a respectable level of competitiveness. I don't agree with some of the negative characterizations of Buono, and I think he, as much as any of us on this forum and probably more, wants to find the key to success in 2015. He's an old pro, and I very much doubt that he's going to make a terrible HC selection. Only the benefit of hindsight has enabled us (and Buono) to see the promotion of Benevides to HC as a mistake. We were pretty well all sanguine about the Benevides appointment when it was announced. I for one am not going to wring my hands in anticipation over this. Let's sit back and wait and see who's appointed, and then, perhaps, we can wring our hands--but it would be waste of time then too. As Aaron Rodgers spelled out to Packers fans when the team was 1-2 after the first three games and fans were spiralling down into debilitating levels of depression and anxiety: R-E-L-A-X (and the Pack has been 8-1 since).
I

I'm feeling a little tougher on Buono than you right now South Pender but your post does provide perspective. The world will still spin, the sun will still shine (at least by training camp next year :wink: ) and there is some good talent on our Leos to start 2015.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:It was kind of sad seeing Travis rolled out again. Even with his bad shoulder and career in serious jeopardy he is the best QB the Lions have to offer their fan base right now so the GM says Travis needs to be more careful next season not to re-injure it again. If it was only that simple. Hopefully, they won back the confidence of a few fans.

I kind of think Travis's nickname should be "Carrot." Not because of his obvious red hair either. It's because the club keeps dangling him to the media and fans to provide hope, and tease us with this "will he play or won't he....he might" dance.

Between us guys, I don't think there was a snowball's chance in hell of Travis coming back toward the end of this past season. I'll bet doctors advised him to shut it down. I'm also willing to bet that Travis had a hard time going on the radio each Monday morning and spinning the same story as he's such an honest guy. Not buying this "injured in warm-up" bit in Montreal for a second. TSN showed him throwing light passes in warm-up with a smile on his face. Did this shoulder 'tweak' happen after that? I highly doubt it. There was ZERO intention of putting him in that game. The deception around Travis's condition has been nothing short of head-scratching - just so the public's confidence in the organization doesn't wane.

I never thought about it much at the time. But it was strange.

Did Montreal have to do special prep fpr Lulay? No.

Keep the fans hopes up in a disingenuous fashion?

Mismanagement?

No depth? No options? No backup prepped?

Altogether strange. And then trotting him out again at the press conference? Hmmmm ... How many times will this shell game work? Is it still working? Keep us hanging until TC?

What is Lulay's contract status? Wally is honouring it, indicating he expects Travis to play next year. ??? Could this change if Lulay has a setback in rehab?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:What is Lulay's contract status? Wally is honouring it, indicating he expects Travis to play next year. ??? Could this change if Lulay has a setback in rehab?
There was a lot of speculation on this board during the season about the Lions needing to restructure Lulay's contract if they are to bring him back. What price is Wally comfortable paying for a QB who may not give him more than the one game he played this year? Unless Lulay has a roster bonus due soon, Wally may want to wait for free agency before getting serious about renegotiating. If the Lions pursue and sign Dan LeFevour, Lulay's value probably drops in half.
South Pender
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Wow SP, either you are choosing not to read what is being posted here or you know something that we don't...because the Lions are teetering on the brink of disaster. Yes we have a very strong talent base (as I have always said) but not with our Coaches and not with the QB position, and Wally just let everyone know that they are the two most important areas in CDN football. Perhaps you don't see through the Lion's 9-9 record this season...we got very lucky with who we played (and how many times), where and when we played teams...this Lion's team in my eyes were no better than a 7-11 team and could have easily gone 5-13 this season. How was it that I was able to predict the Lion's defensive implosion back in week 8? Because it was so obvious how Washington was confusing offences, and it was through a "cheat" that could be exploited any time a CFL wished to...beyond that, we weren't getting pressure by rushing 4 and our blitz packages were inconsistent AT BEST! Offensively, that was probably the worst season for a non-franchised team in league history, and look at the talent that our offence had at its disposal!!! Our Unspecial Teams hit a new all time low, and that was with the benefit of using an INT spot on a PUNTER!

You might not see it around the rest of the league, but I do...O'Shea, a rookie HC in WPG (who had done nothing but lose for the past few years) started the season winning 5 or 6 in a row...that's not a fluke or beginner's luck, that was a coach who had the entire team pointed in one positive direction...it wasn't until injuries to their wafer thin O and DLines, plus injuries to their limited talent that WPG started losing. Believe me, when O'Shea gets talent and depth WPG will start winning again. Rich Campbell in OTT and his staff showed me a TON with constant bonehead player mistakes killing them game in and game out. They have great potential at their base. MTL turned things around mid season by firing much of their coaching staff and had LESS talent than the Lions and continuity and they were leading us 50-3 in the playoff game before they EASED OFF! Chris Jones in EDM took perhaps the league's worst talent base and made them GC contenders...what will Jones do with actual talent and depth??? And if fans thought that we were roughed up by injuries this season, Scott Milanovich in TOR could trump that in a second, on top of having to worry about financial issues for the team or where they were going to practise this week or next! The fact is this league has CHANGED and is now featuring some of the brightest minds in football...and we are still trotting out Khari Jones, Dan Dorazio and Chuck McMann...plus Joe Paopao coaches receivers...is this meant as comic fodder or was Wally actually being serious???

The good news is that we do have the talent here...we have a system that can get us more talent, but we need to start attracting the odd Free Agent, we must develop our own draft picks and we must design new systems that can compete with CGY, EDM, SSK, HAM, MTL and TOR...not get blown out my MTL when they were starting a "babe in the woods" QB and coaching staff!!! What about their turnaround time? MTL turned their fortunes around MID SEASON and gave HAM a tough ride in the Eastern Final...now that team MGT...admitting when you are wrong and then doing something about it and NOT WAITING TO DO SO and not making excuses!!!!

Yeah, I'd say the we need to do more than R-E-L-A-X...as we don't have Aaron Rodgers QBing this team...
I think we're seeing the same data in a different way. And let's respect each other's perspective on this and not claim that anyone not seeing the situation in a certain way is blind or ignoring the evidence. I do not see the Lions on the brink of disaster. I see us in a transition phase in which new coaching is obviously needed and some new directions explored. But, as you say, we do have adequate player talent on the team, and I`m confident that we`ll be competitive next year. All of this shrinking of Wally`s head is, in my opinion, wasted effort. Whether we like him or not, he is a competent football man, and far too proud (in a good sense) to let the Lions deteriorate into inconsequentiality.

Not looking for an argument, but there are a number of different ways by which to evaluate O`Shea and Campbell, and seeing them as world-beaters is not one I`d support--at least not yet. Imagining what they would do if X and Y had taken place or not taken place is replacing evidence with conjecture. So far, the jury`s out on them both, as far as I`m concerned. And I don`t see the huge gulf between the Lions and the rest of the CFL in coaching that some do. Sure, we need much better than we saw this season with the Lions, but the distribution of coaching quality in the CFL follows a symmetric unimodal form (like almost all individual differences), in my view, not the stark bimodal phenomenon that it`s been portrayed as, with a few coaches just phenomenal (or "brilliant") and others completely and utterly incompetent in every conceivable way. That`s black and white thinking and leads to an incorrect perspective. And, in the same vein, I don`t see the gap in player talent that has been spoken of, with the Lions having far greater talent than the other CFL teams. We have decent talent overall--with some really outstanding guys, like Elimimian, Bighill, Harris, and others--but not, as I see it, that much greater overall, if at all greater, than found on the other CFL teams, except, perhaps, Ottawa.

So, again not wanting an argument on this--just my opinion--yeah, I think we should R-E-L-A-X and await what we hope will be encouraging developments. And...is it possible for us to have a little more qualifying of one's assertions with "in my opinion," since that's really what such assertions often are--not fact? In my opinion.... :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

Sums up the Lions season, all smoke and mirrors
JohnHenry
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:What is Lulay's contract status? Wally is honouring it, indicating he expects Travis to play next year. ??? Could this change if Lulay has a setback in rehab?
There was a lot of speculation on this board during the season about the Lions needing to restructure Lulay's contract if they are to bring him back. What price is Wally comfortable paying for a QB who may not give him more than the one game he played this year? Unless Lulay has a roster bonus due soon, Wally may want to wait for free agency before getting serious about renegotiating. If the Lions pursue and sign Dan LeFevour, Lulay's value probably drops in half.
T. Lulay signed a contract for next season and I'd expect the Lions to honour it. There aren't any $400k QB's out there, so Travis' contract will have little bearing on the Lions ability to sign players. If Travis isn't ready to play next season he could go on the 6-gamer and his salary doesn't count against the Cap...just less profit margin for Mr. Braley. When Travis can't play any more, he could be transitioned into coaching, as QB coach on the sidelines (like J. Garcia), then perhaps as OC and so on. Let's not lose Lulay like we did with Dickenson, to save a few dollars in the short run...but lose it in the long run. :roar:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
T. Lulay signed a contract for next season and I'd expect the Lions to honour it. There aren't any $400k QB's out there, so Travis' contract will have little bearing on the Lions ability to sign players. If Travis isn't ready to play next season he could go on the 6-gamer and his salary doesn't count against the Cap...just less profit margin for Mr. Braley. When Travis can't play any more, he could be transitioned into coaching, as QB coach on the sidelines (like J. Garcia), then perhaps as OC and so on. Let's not lose Lulay like we did with Dickenson, to save a few dollars in the short run...but lose it in the long run. :roar:
Reinbold advice to Steinhauser - was right on. Don't do what he did and get all excited about the role as if you don't have a QB or access to one - you'll fail and there are only 41 jobs in pro football and it may never happen again.

I suspect Wally has to find a stronger surer back-up and this too would go against the usual grain for Wally and his real fear of not being able to trade for a big asset and have to for example give Hamilton some big assets and get a Dan Lefavour or pry Tate out of Calgary - but this latter guy has some injury issues too so he might fear that guy.

His current back ups have never lit it up or had much of a chance. I think Wally needs to find a QB and if his new HC is smart he'll insist he do.

Travis has to know it's over fast if he is done as they can't pay him starting $$$ if he gets hurt again.

Some posts might be a little too negative but Wally's entire legacy is about to be determined as a GM here. He'll always be a CFL hero but what a shame if his next HC isn't a winner.

Crazy year. Commish a hero - yet is the face of giving the PA a thrashing and humiliation that put the PA in their place as door mats for years to come.
9 and 9 gets you to the Grey Cup - yet 9 and 9 gets another HC fired.

It is a franchise teetering as Wally is uncharted territory for him. He's been a GM for many years but until Mike B he had him as a HC. He's a rookie at what he faces now. He has been good at relying on other CFL advisors from other teams at times - I wonder who he will speak to.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
ziggy
Legend

I have to agree with SP about the negativity here recently. Reminds me of the old Area51 days! People can play armchair GM and HC all they want, but let's face it, none of us are, were or ever will be the real thing! Lets show a little respect for fellow fans!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From cfl.ca, their take on the press conference ...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/off-season-is ... uono-lions
Off-season is all about change for Buono, Lions

Posted: December 05, 2014 02:00 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

SURREY -- The housecleaning continues for the BC Lions.

Less than two weeks after firing head coach Mike Benevides, general manager and vice-president of football operations Wally Buono said Tuesday the team is cutting ties with several veteran players, including quarterback Kevin Glenn.

“It's about winning,” said Buono. “It's not about anything else.”

The 35-year-old Glenn was acquired in the off-season as an insurance policy behind No. 1 pivot Travis Lulay, who was still recovering from off-season surgery to his throwing shoulder.

Wally Buono?s legacy as a coach has already been secured. Buono?s legacy as a GM will come under scrutiny this winter as he tries to repair the damage done to the Lions.

But Lulay wasn't healthy enough to play until early September and re-injured the joint in his only start, meaning that Glenn ended up starting all but one game for a Lions team that finished 9-9 before suffering an embarrassing 50-17 playoff loss to the Montreal Alouettes.

Glenn, who won't be offered a new contract, threw for nearly 4,000 yards and had 17 touchdown passes, but he was also intercepted 17 times in leading an attack that often stumbled at critical times.

“Professional sports, you get measured by winning, and when you don't win there's issues and usually there's consequences,” said Buono. “We have to analyze where we're at, where we're going and what do we do to make sure this team is a lot more competitive, this team is a lot more exciting and this team wins a lot more football games.”

Buono also announced the Lions will not be picking up the contract options for defensive back Dante Marsh, defensive end Khalif Mitchell, linebacker Jamall Johnson and punter Ricky Schmitt.

Marsh played 11 seasons with the Lions, but the 33-year-old had injury issues in 2014 and said after the Lions' playoff loss that he didn't expect to be back while at the same criticizing the team's lack of identity.

Mitchell, meanwhile, was brought back into the fold after being traded to the Toronto Argonauts after the 2012 season, however the hulking lineman who dominated with the Lions in his previous stint with the club failed to make much of an impact.

In taking his share of the blame Tuesday, Buono said there were things he could have done differently in assembling the team, including the character in the locker-room.

“When you look at the personnel and you look at the chemistry, maybe the chemistry wasn't what we wanted. When you bring in players there's always a risk that things blow up in your face,” he said.

“I'm not going to sit here and say that wasn't the case. Chemistry is a big part of winning and losing. Chemistry is a big part of harmony. Winning always masks your issues (and) losing always exposes your issues.”

“I've never been around a winning team where everybody doesn't love each other. I've never been around a losing team where there isn't a lot of animosity or a lot of infighting or a lot of guys on different pages.”

Lulay spoke to the media on Tuesday as well and said he expects to be ready for training camp, something he also said last year about this time before sitting out the first nine games of the regular schedule.

“We have to change the environment and the culture ”
- Wally Buono

He also agreed with Buono's assessment that something was off with the Lions in 2014.

“I think it's fair to say we weren't the team that we'd hoped we would be,” said the 31-year-old. “Any time you're losing and it's not going as planned, that's when those things come to the surface.”

“We weren't who we wanted to be and that needs to change.”

Buono spoke of the Lions getting some “new blood” on the sidelines when Benevides was axed, and said Tuesday the interview the process was already underway.

He added he had yet to seek the permission of either the Calgary Stampeders or Hamilton Tiger-Cats to speak with any potential candidates who were involved in Sunday's Grey Cup game.

“The one thing that I'm trying to formulate in my mind is what and who this next head coach is going to bring to this football club,” said Buono. “The two most important people in your organization are your head coach and your quarterback. Everything goes from there.”

One name that has been mentioned is that of Hamilton defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer, but Buono said his search will reach south of the border.

“We're not limiting to (Canada). We're going south of the 49th parallel too,” Buono said before adding: “There are certainly qualities you want.”

One of those qualities will surely be an ability to mend a fractured and fragile locker-room heading into training camp.

“We have to change the environment and the culture,” said Buono. “Whether you like it or not, whether I'm hurting somebody's feelings or not, we've got to do that.”

“We have to change the culture and we have to change the environment.”

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

... double post ...

South Pender
Legend

Just to echo Blitz's question, what happened with Khalif Mitchell this year? He is an imposing physical specimen and should be in his prime at age 29. And he's looked so good in the past. Did he have an undisclosed injury that might have hampered him this season? Or is it all between his ears? It sure would have been nice to be able to look forward to 2015 with a huge and effective guy in the middle of the D-line, knowing we have a great linebacking group behind them.