Madani: Braley asking $40 million for Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ravi
Legend

I am a little skeptical of Madani's sources but here is what Madani tweeted after the Grey Cup:

Was told tonight that David Braley has told prospective buyers that the #BCLions sale price is... $40 million. You can't make that up. #CFL
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:I am a little skeptical of Madani's sources but here is what Madani tweeted after the Grey Cup:

Was told tonight that David Braley has told prospective buyers that the #BCLions sale price is... $40 million. You can't make that up. #CFL
That's not a new number. Braley mentioned the $40 million figure in February, and said he had seven people or groups contact him afterwards about buying the team. There subsequently was a $60 million figure reported out of Toronto but Braley said that figure was "made up" by the reporter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I might be interested if I win the Lotto Max Lottery of $50 million.
JohnHenry
Champion

I believe Mr. Braley quoted the $40 million figure as the sale price before the 102nd Grey Cup (with the new purchaser receiving the $10M+ GC profits)...with the sale price after the GC being $30 million. He also said he never revealed his asking price for the Argos to MLSE because they never asked (after they approached him last year about purchasing the Argos). :ref:
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I might be interested if I win the Lotto Max Lottery of $50 million.
If you do, make sure that you hold out for another hosting of the GC or two. Really Braley has made a ton of money off of those GC years for any franchise he has helped out. Also make sure to point out to him that if he holds out for the $40M, his 2015 team may drop out of the playoffs, costing him at least $20M. IIRC the Stamps sold for about $8M back a couple of seasons ago, and they hold the towns attention, concession and parking rights. Good luck to Braley, at that price tag, he really doesn't want to sell the franchise anytime soon.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

According to CKWX News1130 this morning, David Braley allegedly has 10 parties interested in owning the Leos, including Aquilini.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
10 parties interested in buying the #BCLions including #Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini, who re-affirmed his interest 10 days ago.
Let's be careful here to delineate how many are "interested in owning" vs those who have made serious overtures/offers? I wouldn't automatically assume it's the latter. Whoever comes on board, I hope they're local with knowledge of the challenges facing a crowded Vancouver sports landscape, and a willingness to invest more money in Marketing and Promotion.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:According to CKWX News1130 this morning, David Braley allegedly has 10 parties interested in owning the Leos, including Aquilini.
10 parties interested in buying the #BCLions including #Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini, who re-affirmed his interest 10 days ago.
Let's be careful here to delineate how many are "interested in owning" vs those who have made serious overtures/offers? I wouldn't automatically assume it's the latter. Whoever comes on board, I hope they're local with knowledge of the challenges facing a crowded Vancouver sports landscape, and a willingness to invest more money in Marketing and Promotion.

It's been a great ride with Braley but I hope this happens sooner than later. Things have got stale, the club has lost momentum and some of the traction it had gained in Vancouver's ever challenging sporting landscape. If the Aquilini family is actually sincere about owning and operating a successful CFL team and have no other ambitions then maybe that is the route to go especially if the Lions can jump on the Canucks marketing machine.
BC 1988
Legend

Agreed that Aquilini should be one of the better options. Also, ( no idea if they are interested) the Whitecaps ownership group.
These days you need investors with a good track record. We don't want to go back to the 1989 to 1996 revolving door disaster.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote:According to CKWX News1130 this morning, David Braley allegedly has 10 parties interested in owning the Leos, including Aquilini.

It's been a great ride with Braley but I hope this happens sooner than later. Things have got stale, the club has lost momentum and some of the traction it had gained in Vancouver's ever challenging sporting landscape. If the Aquilini family is actually sincere about owning and operating a successful CFL team and have no other ambitions then maybe that is the route to go especially if the Lions can jump on the Canucks marketing machine.
I am always nervous of change like this. Right now I am as comfortable as I have ever been in the stability of the franchise. Change could do just that and not necessarily for the better. I am not sure that the franchise can stand any downward trend at this juncture either.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have nothing but gratitude towards Braley for keeping the franchise going here in B.C. Time to move on? His call.

Aquilini? Not universally popular, it would seem. But I would be in favour of his ownership. Deep, deep pockets. Passion for his team would come with the territory, I expect. Local owner.

New ownership would bring change, for sure. Risks come with that. But our team has been underwhelming lately. From top ranked to middle of the road, and looking at also-ran status. Part of this is due of course to gains by Calgary and Edmonton. Part is due to stagnation, making the safe, comfortable decisions and standing pat. IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was never very impressed with Aquilini and his cutting his partners out of the deal when he bought the Canucks. Then hiring a player agent to be his GM caused me to raise my eyebrows in surprise. I guess they finally got that mistake fixed.

Still it might be a good fit to have the Canucks and Lions under the same ownership. Seems to be working for the Flames/Stamps.
The_Pauser
Legend

Really hope Aquilini stays far, far away from the Lions.
Roar you Lions roar!
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Is this one single consortium of ten individuals, or is it ten distinct potential suitors/groups we're talking here?
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:I was never very impressed with Aquilini and his cutting his partners out of the deal when he bought the Canucks. Then hiring a player agent to be his GM caused me to raise my eyebrows in surprise. I guess they finally got that mistake fixed.

Still it might be a good fit to have the Canucks and Lions under the same ownership. Seems to be working for the Flames/Stamps.
One can question how the ownership thing came to be or the hiring of Gillis. However one cannot deny Aquilini's willingness to invest money in all areas of the organization to provide the players with a first class playing environment and other staff with a first class working environment.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:I was never very impressed with Aquilini and his cutting his partners out of the deal when he bought the Canucks. Then hiring a player agent to be his GM caused me to raise my eyebrows in surprise. I guess they finally got that mistake fixed.

One can question how the ownership thing came to be or the hiring of Gillis. However one cannot deny Aquilini's willingness to invest money in all areas of the organization to provide the players with a first class playing environment and other staff with a first class working environment.
Interestingly enough Aquilini seems not to be interfering with the current regime headed by a guy with no experience in Trevor Linden - who for my money has done a surprisingly good job giving the fans and team a sense of stability. Surprise not because I don't think very highly of Trevor Linden - quite the opposite. Surprised because he doesn't have the executive experience yet seems to know which touchstones lead to credibility and stability - something that Gillis and Tortorella didn't give anyone.

Did I not read that when Nonis was here as GM that Gillis was living in BC due to his daughter's sport and he and Aquilini formed sort of a friendship leading Nonis to think he was being undermined?

I have always had the highest respect for Trevor Linden as a player and fan favourite in a league where the players get very jaundiced about fans seeking autographs for sale vs the CFL.

I liked how Linden spoke the truth. Pat Quinn hammered Linden the player during the players strike when he told the truth and said in his family 'going to games was a treat. Their dad took turns taking the sons.' His point was that that is the reality of the NHL - all very true as they have ticket prices.

The second truth was his take once on autographs where he said that when you see the SAME guys EVERYDAY asking for autographs you know it isn't personal or for a family. It was to counter why their players weren't always fan friendly.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy