Grey Cup, GDT and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Good call on the peno... idiot play as I'd let the returner do his job
Completely unnecessary clip on the punt return. It could have been a dramatic ending and a great comeback victory for Hamilton.

Hamilton had its chances in the fourth quarter but came away with two field goals....and they were an arms reach from the end zone on one of those fourth quarter drives.

Excellent second half, after it looked like Calgary was going to dominate.

Stubler wins his 5th Grey Cup ring.....guess he wasn't good enough for us but good enough to help win a Grey Cup for Calgary.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Glad for John Hufnagel.

Kent Austin will get many more chances. Unless he takes big bucks in the US, probably at the college level.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Brain cramp play calls here...... grigsby was too obvious....
That might be the TSN turning point. Gifted 1st and goal and you run safe but obvious that you get 3 pts only.

Turning pt as this will either keep the Cats fired up or deflate them as the clock is not helping and THEIR play call delays giving Stubler the edge ate a lot of clock to get the 3

They scored so fast at the end of the first half there and now waste time with the gift 7 on a penalty that they failed on.
Other than me wanting Condell's head on a platter ...lol...this was a major factor in the failed comeback.

Condell will learn - these things happen - I am sure but the CATS have to be frustrated at how that ended up with 3 instead of 7.

BUT these pro coaches must be ready for that situation and the play call while bad as the handoff so deep and so obvious - a quick snap there was essential as the clock was runnning.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A clipping call on a guy who no way can get near Banks. :dizzy:

Amazing.

Credit to the TiCats. They never gave up.

Bo Levi Mitchell -- awesome young QB.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Cornish fesses up. He knew he was a decoy in this game.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Calgary and Hamilton have two quarterbacks each. How many do we have?

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hufnagel giving credit to Rich Stubler. Oh yeah.

Blitz
Team Captain

Great to hear Hufnagel, at the Grey Cup presentation ceremony commenting on Rich Stubler doing a great job all season for Calgary and that he deserved the Grey Cup victory as much as anyone or more. It must have hurt Stubler to be dropped by the Leos at the end of last season so good for him.

Cornish said the victory should be credited to the Calgary defense. Calgary had an excellent offensive first half but struggled more in the second half.

Good to watch another close Grey Cup game with an exciting ending.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Calgary and Hamilton have two quarterbacks each. How many do we have?
3 but we don't know if they can play
almo89
Legend

Austin lost this game by going with a shotgun hand off on the 2 yard line. Should have just use the QB sneak. They would have had a couple cracks at it
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Early on I thought the Stamps might win in a BLOWOUT but thankfully the Ticats rebounded to make it a solid ending.....
Sounds like the CFL knows offence is what gets people watching so look for some rule tweaks to help that side of the ball. I really like the idea of the QB mini-camp where ALL teams QB's will work with some CFL QB greats to help that along too. IMO, that is a real outside the box idea having ALL teams do something so collaborative to help everybodies offence.

Banks sure looked CRUSHED that his return TD came back via flag. Weird really because I saw a flag down and thought "well this ones coming back" and he's still thinking "I'm about to score a CHAMPIONSHIP winning TD!!!!". Know it doesn't really matter but he was so over-whelmed he was unavailable to be in the last few plays when he was EXACTLY the kind of player they needed to get them back in the game.....

I sure could do without the "PLAYER of the Game" award. By all means choose one and give him a car or whatever (they used to get a car, but probably not now---cutbacks :wink: ). Its a team game and as Mitchell said 'its all of those guys who deserve it'. I rather just see them give out the trophy rather than listen to Dunigan ask a guy a couple of questions when in reality I'm 99% sure Mitchell would rather just get his mitts on the Grey Cup. Player of the Game? Its an afterthought, IMO.

I'm guessing there is no longer a National player of the game? Or did they follow my advice and find him during the lockerroom celebrations later? IMO, Cornish deserves it for being the most outstanding decoy! No his STAT line was not amazing but without him being a threat, I think the TIcat defence plays an entirely different game, who knows the outcome. So Cornish contributed by not contributing (in stats).....

Oh well, another end to a solid CFL season. Sure I'd like to see offences do better but I like defensive football too. I had thoughts of maybe going to Investors Group Field for the 2015 Grey Cup but I'm betting a possible -20 temperature may cause for lots of interesting storylines for next Grey Cup Sunday.....
dupsdell1
Champion

Great grey cup weekend / week in Vancouver did a fabulous job, after I thought there really would be no interest at all with the lions being so bad there was a lot of lions fans around town this week/weekend young and old so I only hope the lions can get there act together and get this team to back were it was at the end of 2011 /2012 - 2004-2009 it was a great week, good buy everyone we will see you next year .
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

notahomer wrote:
I'm guessing there is no longer a National player of the game? Or did they follow my advice and find him during the lockerroom celebrations later? IMO, Cornish deserves it for being the most outstanding decoy! No his STAT line was not amazing but without him being a threat, I think the TIcat defence plays an entirely different game, who knows the outcome. So Cornish contributed by not contributing (in stats).....
It was Andy Fantuz, a good choice. They didn't make a big announcement during the main presentation, possibly because it was a player from the losing team, but someone was interviewing him briefly about it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hamilton will think about that flag for a long time to come.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:Hamilton will think about that flag for a long time to come.

I think that Banks has already thought enough about it for everyone on the team, and one in particular.

Not as bad as the 13th man call against the Riders in losing the GC, but it is the one play that you can hang your hat on for the loss.
Entertainment value = an all time low