Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Coles Notes from interview with Sekeres:

Contract is for 2 years - I'm a bit surprised it wasn't for 3.

Asked about whether this is a stepping stone back to NFL or US - says in coaching nobody knows what will happen in the future but focus is on Lions. He wouldn't be uprooting his family and moving them from Tampa area to lower mainland if he was thinking of this as stop gap move. He has two sons in their mid 20s and they will be coming north too. One son, Quinn Tedford, was an offensive intern with the Buccaneers.

Re: health - had an issue in August. Dealt with it and is feeling great and has been for a couple of months now.

Re: being a head coach again - asked if he missed being a head coach. Said yes and between being an OC or HC he definitely prefers the HC role maybe because he'd done it for so long.

Asked about Cortez and coaching staff - hasn't analyzed staff or really thought about that yet but it's the first thing on his agenda. Says he's kept in touch with Cortez over the years but sounded almost more socially than professionally. Exchange Christmas cards, call to say good luck when things change for either one. Things like that.

Dinner meeting with Washington - timing thing as Washington was heading out of town. Good opportunity to meet him and get to know him a bit.

Asked if he'd met Jordan Rogers before - said he did when recruiting Aaron. Also caught up to him again when he was visiting Vanderbilt and watching a practice there.

Asked about scouting etc. - said he did lots of that recruiting for college and of course knows a lot of players from coaching them or playing against them. A big part of his job in Tampa was to assess draft eligible players and free agents. While he hasn't necessarily talked to the majority of these players he knows something about them and what they bring. Sounds like a guy with a pretty good grasp on a lot of players across the continent.

I didn't pick up what he said about his 3 hour meeting with Lulay. Work got in the way during that piece.
Thanks Hambone. Good summary :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.163801

Glen Suitor: "tremendous resume ... more wins in 2010 than anybody in Cal's history ... coached 6 different first round draft NFL quarterbacks ... 1) experience in the CFL, 2) trust level with Wally Buono, 3) he is a quarterback coach ... as with Hufnagel, Dickenson, Trestman, Austin ... "

"escape clause in the deal ... all coaches have that ... zero certainty as a coach ... same as JC had with SFU ... money is not an issue for Tedford ... "
Just listening to this interview with Jake & Pratt online now. Also some discussion on Chap as you note, rumours on who the new commish might be (he floated former Alouettes president Skip Prince as a possibility) and the future of the Argos possibly playing at BMO Field. As an aside, can we get rid of Jake... his clownish catcalls of "chicken, bock bock bock" in the middle of a serious interview... really? SMH.

Tedford's interview with Sekeres & Price, which Hambone has already discussed can be found here:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... e-1.163905
I missed the Commissioner part.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.163801

Glen Suitor: "tremendous resume ... more wins in 2010 than anybody in Cal's history ... coached 6 different first round draft NFL quarterbacks ... 1) experience in the CFL, 2) trust level with Wally Buono, 3) he is a quarterback coach ... as with Hufnagel, Dickenson, Trestman, Austin ... "

"escape clause in the deal ... all coaches have that ... zero certainty as a coach ... same as JC had with SFU ... money is not an issue for Tedford ... "
Just listening to this interview with Jake & Pratt online now. Also some discussion on Chap as you note, rumours on who the new commish might be (he floated former Alouettes president Skip Prince as a possibility) and the future of the Argos possibly playing at BMO Field. As an aside, can we get rid of Jake... his clownish catcalls of "chicken, bock bock bock" in the middle of a serious interview... really? SMH.

Tedford's interview with Sekeres & Price, which Hambone has already discussed can be found here:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... e-1.163905
I missed the Commissioner part.
Prob because :clown: Jake :clown: was too busy being a distraction at that point of the discussion. I posted more about it (CP wire article) in the departure-of-Cohon thread.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:When is the media conference?
4:00 PM. Interesting that the Lions call a press conference at 4:00 PM at about the same time the Lions office shuts down for the holidays til Jan. 5th.
Another unfortunate aspect of the timing is that Canada is facing Russia in a pre-tournament (WJHC) game at that time. The game will air live on TSN1 and simulcast on 1040. It seems a live stream from bclions.com will be the best place to catch it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
4:00 PM. Interesting that the Lions call a press conference at 4:00 PM at about the same time the Lions office shuts down for the holidays til Jan. 5th.
Sounds like the timing is family related. Tedford's wife also wants to be there at the press conference with Jeff. So it's delayed a bit while she makes her way in from Tampa.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Another unfortunate aspect of the timing is that Canada is facing Russia in a pre-tournament (WJHC) game at that time. The game will air live on TSN1 and simulcast on 1040. It seems a live stream from bclions.com will be the best place to catch it.

The hockey game is on 1410 not 1040
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Jacked about this hiring. How often can you go out and hire a new head coach who instantly has a resumé that every other coach in the league would be envy of? And to boot he has experience as a coach and a player in the CFL too. That is huge.
Listening to his interview on 1040 sounds like the Lions just gained lights years of experience on potential recruits south of the border. Gave the impression you could throw the name of basically any recent NCAA QB at him and he would have an opinion.

It's not going to take him long to find out if Travis Partridge is the future starting QB in BC or he has better candidates in mind. Can't wait to see how he utilizes Canadian rules into his offensive scheme.

Only concern is just a 2 year deal but also not stupid enough to think he came here thinking this was the final chapter of his coaching career or he no longer had greater ambitions. Let's just enjoy him here while we can.
dupsdell1
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:Jacked about this hiring. How often can you go out and hire a new head coach who instantly has a resumé that every other coach in the league would be envy of? And to boot he has experience as a coach and a player in the CFL too. That is huge.
Listening to his interview on 1040 sounds like the Lions just gained lights years of experience on potential recruits south of the border. Gave the impression you could throw the name of basically any recent NCAA QB at him and he would have an opinion.

It's not going to take him long to find out if Travis Partridge is the future starting QB in BC or he has better candidates in mind. Can't wait to see how he utilizes Canadian rules into his offensive scheme.

Only concern is just a 2 year deal but also not stupid enough to think he came here thinking this was the final chapter of his coaching career or he no longer had greater ambitions. Let's just enjoy him here while we can.

I agree except this reminds me when Doug Flutie came here it took him a full year to get the hang of things, I am not saying he is going to be the savior of the lions were all of a sudden they are going to be getting 40,000 a game , but I think we are going to have to give him some slack for a year to get back into it. I am predicting the lions will be a fourth place team again unless a miracle happens.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:4:00 PM. Interesting that the Lions call a press conference at 4:00 PM at about the same time the Lions office shuts down for the holidays til Jan. 5th.
The hockey game is on 1410 not 1040
It was on their website as 1040 when I posted but I see they just changed it to 1410 in the last 20mins or so, presumably to accommodate this presser. As Hambone says the timing was to ensure his wife's presence which was what I'd suspected based on what I'd heard.
dupsdell1
Champion

Just announced on 1040 coming up press conference
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:Just announced on 1040 coming up press conference
This looks like the link for the live online stream but it's not running just yet as I type:

http://www.bclions.com/article/bc-lions ... rence-live
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Only concern is just a 2 year deal but also not stupid enough to think he came here thinking this was the final chapter of his coaching career or he no longer had greater ambitions. Let's just enjoy him here while we can.
Buono was on with Moj & Taylor a little while ago. He said the 2 year thing was not a concern with Tedford. Sounds like it is more about lining Tedford's contract up with his own. He said that was also a Bobby Ackles thing. Ackles would never sign a coach to a contract that expired after his own.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
This looks like the link for the live online stream but it's not running just yet as I type:

Ridicules they have lost the single a couple of times
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm getting the message that the conference hasn't started.
dupsdell1
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

It keeps starting to set up, and then says, "Wait." OK, we are waiting.

They should have hired me I am a video producer do live streaming for events all the time

Livestream the server they are using is very reliable I use it all the time