Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:It would be refreshing to see an offence emphasizing both the running and passing game. Keep the defence guessing.
Especially when we have the talent in the backfield to utilize both. Andrew Harris is our best player on offense, we need to properly use him. If we decide to bring back Stefan Logan, we need to exploit this as well. I saw far too many times last year us trying to send Logan up the middle, which doesn't make too much sense for a guy with his ability. I'm already getting my hopes up for 2015!

Just watching the end of the Bears - Lions game and Lions with 2 min to go don't have to make a play. 30 seconds and they're hugging each other. Rules in the NFL are a joke. In the CFL there'd be still be home if you are down by 6 pts only as the Bears are.

RE: Neil McEvoy/Jeff Tedford for GM...at this point it's tough to say. Tedford could be a complete flop here and is long gone before Wally retires. Maybe Wally doesn't even retire in 2 years. My first impression of talking to McEvoy wasn't a great one though. He prefers the NFL game, prefers their style of play and rules. For a guy working in a key role in the CFL I would have expected him to talk up the CFL game a bit more, but he even mentioned how he prefers how the NFL has some games that are basically over within 2 minutes if the right team has the ball (as opposed to the CFL where anything can happen). Left me with a very sour taste in my mouth (though I do admit this has zero to do with his ability as a GM).
I think the best GMs either have some playing or coaching experience or superior depth in the game that involves both scouting and players.

As to his views on the NFL vs CFL game, I'd expect that crap from a NFL wannabe. He clearly hasn't discussed the rules of the game with anyone with NFL and CFL experience - and I have - and they love the CFL rules and nuances. Leon Bright told me that on several occasions when he guest coached at SFU when his CFL - and subsquently NFL playing days were done. It was money that led him to leave.

I'd not want someone with that thinking close to the rules committee.

The QBs love the CFL game - Moon, Fiutie, Brock etc.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:It was sort of in-between. It was during one of the Operation Orange road trips. My Dad and I were having a drink at one of the hotel lobby bars and joined Dennis, Neil, and a few others sitting around watching a game. We got into the discussion about the differences between the CFL and NFL, and Neil was mentioning how he prefers the NFL game. I mean, it's his opinion and I can't hold that against him, but it does rub me the wrong way when you start discussing him as a potential candidate to run a CFL team. So yes, it was at a fan event, but I don't think you could really consider him as being on the clock either. The way I look at it, it was a bunch of guys just relaxing, shooting the breeze while watching football and talking football over a drink or two.
Thanks for clarifying that. I agree he can have his opinions but it sounds like he wasn't under any particular duress to disclose any preferences and I would (respectfully) differ with you that he WAS on the clock, because this was a trip for which you paid a decent chunk of change. AFAIC, this puts him on the clock for the entirety of the time he's in the presence of any fan or fans who bought in (I would even go farther than this and argue he's pretty much always on the clock anytime he's travelling or otherwise out in public on team business). I'm sure you weren't bargaining on (basically) hearing that you bought into a 2nd class operation. It's kind of surprising to hear the additional detail that he spoke like this in DS's presence, and I would hope NMcE got a lecture from him soon thereafter.

I hate to dwell on the past and I don't want to read too much into things that I wasn't there to witness personally with my own two eyes. But I just couldn't see him talking like this in the presence of Ackles, and maybe (or not, you be the judge) it says something about the recent direction in overall professionalism of the ball club that he would even think of saying something like this to a paying fan — in the presence of a superior, no less.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Since Pauser brought up Neil McEvoy, my experience with him was less than favourable. Several years ago I was the Surrey office to discuss an issue with my season tickets. The receptionist was unable to assist me so she called Neil (I believe he was in ticket sales at the time). He was befuddled what I was talking about and his attitude was less than positive.
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Since Pauser brought up Neil McEvoy, my experience with him was less than favourable. Several years ago I was the Surrey office to discuss an issue with my season tickets. The receptionist was unable to assist me so she called Neil (I believe he was in ticket sales at the time). He was befuddled what I was talking about and his attitude was less than positive.

this is very puzzling to me why the lions have these types of people around , I understand if he prefers the nfl to the cfl, but to come out and publicly say that ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Since Pauser brought up Neil McEvoy, my experience with him was less than favourable. Several years ago I was the Surrey office to discuss an issue with my season tickets. The receptionist was unable to assist me so she called Neil (I believe he was in ticket sales at the time). He was befuddled what I was talking about and his attitude was less than positive.
That must have been quite a while ago. From his bclions.com bio it says he worked tickets in 1995 and 1996 before moving to media relations in 1997. As an aside, it also says he played for the Surrey Rams, which makes me wonder from the likely timeline if he was ever teammates with Paul McCallum.

BTW I think I was the one who brought him up as much as anyone (in fact his name has come up here a few times at various points, and not just in this thread but in the past, to the point where IIRC there was growing sentiment that he was being groomed as WB's eventual successor as GM — at least until now with JT entering the picture). I say that not as boast but I have a feeling this might turn into a dump-on-NMcE-fest and I don't think Pauser should be solely to blame for that! For the record I've had no direct dealings with him myself so I can't really comment firsthand.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
That must have been quite a while ago. From his bclions.com bio it says he worked tickets in 1995 and 1996 before moving to media relations in 1997. As an aside, it also says he played for the Surrey Rams, which makes me wonder from the likely timeline if he was ever teammates with Paul McCallum.

BTW I think I was the one who brought him up as much as anyone (in fact his name has come up here a few times at various points, and not just in this thread but in the past, to the point where IIRC there was growing sentiment that he was being groomed as WB's eventual successor as GM — at least until now with JT entering the picture). I say that not as boast but I have a feeling this might turn into a dump-on-NMcE-fest and I don't think Pauser should be solely to blame for that! For the record I've had no direct dealings with him myself so I can't really comment firsthand.
Yes, it was many, many moons ago.
Blitz
Team Captain

I found this excerpt in Ed Willies article today in the Province interesting. Buono and Tedford were both assistants under Larry Kuharick and Buono was promoted to Head Coach. Buono had to choose between Hufnagel and Tedford as his assistants and chose Hufnagel and Tedford was not too happy about it but it didn't affect his professionalism.

In tems of the creation of the Calgary spread offence..Buono said both Hufnagel and Tedford created it and he is still unsure who the architect of it was...whether it was Hufnagel or Tedford.
There’s an interesting history between Wally Buono and Jeff Tedford that goes back to the 1989 Calgary Stampeders. where both men were assistants under the eccentric Lary Kuharich.

In 1990, Buono was promoted to head coach and had two bright young minds to choose from as his first offensive co-ordinator. Ultimately, he selected John Hufnagel over Tedford, who stayed in Calgary as a position coach, and in their two years together Hufnagel and Tedford developed the spread offence which changed the game in the CFL and the NFL.

“He didn’t like it, but he was a pro and he worked his butt off,” Buono said of Tedford’s reaction to being passed over. “He and Huf created that offence. I’m still not sure who’s the architect.”

— One other thing about Tedford. Both the Lions and the new coach say he’s fully committed to the franchise. If that’s the case, why just a two-year contract? Ed Willes
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Lowell Ullrich, some excerpts ...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html
Ullrich: Team goals, accountability are Jeff Tedford’s calling cards
But Tedford might be different. He may resonate with the players he plans to call one by one in the weeks ahead, because his tale is similar to many of their own.

The rise to a string of seven-figure contracts came as a result of a desire to break free from a tough start growing up on the streets of Downey, Cal., in suburban Los Angeles.

As the story goes, Tedford was raised by family members, whose mother worked two jobs in support of five kids. The newest employee of owner David Braley once lived in a warehouse where his brother worked for a year. Before giving coaching in the CFL a try, Tedford had a job selling cardboard boxes.
No silver spoon for Jeff Tedford. And from a challenging childhood, a rise to great heights, and great success. :thup:
Tedford got his chance partly off a recommendation from Cal’s top export, quarterback Aaron Rodgers, to new Bucs coach Lovie Smith. Neither Tedford nor Smith had jobs last winter or hardly knew each other, but formed a bond after watching tape for two days in Smith’s basement.

“Is it possible that in 11 years (at Cal) you get worn down? I’m not going to argue that fact. But I really enjoyed dealing with players in Tampa and I’m looking forward to doing it here,” Tedford said. “This is a great opportunity because of where it is. My wife and kids are coming back to Canada. We will build an environment of hard work, communication, trust and discipline.”
Downsizing to the little old CFL. But quality of life? He gets to live in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver, B.C. In Canada. Yeah. Good choice.
He’d been reportedly offered jobs by the Chicago Bears and San Diego State over the years, work much bigger than anything in front of him now, which is why agent Tim Younger kept bringing Tedford offers all last week.
Turned down the Bears, apparently.
With the Lions, he’ll work for the comparatively modest sum of $350,000 over the next two seasons, which will make him the subject of speculation for every juicy coaching rumour in the U.S. No one would discuss whether Tedford has an out clause in his Lions deal.
$350,000. There is the number. Rather amazing, compared to the millions he has made in the past.
Tedford said he is not looking for his next job though, likely sensing an opportunity to move up if Buono won’t stay beyond the final two years of his current deal.
Future GM here?
He’ll form a staff, likely to include former Cal offensive co-ordinator George Cortez, assess Travis Lulay from film and attempt to recreate college magic, mindful he doesn’t have all the answers.
Cortez knows the Xs and Os. He has worked with Tedford before. As a fan, I would have no problem with him as OC. It would be ironic, in a sense, if Cortez signs on as OC, since he turned Benny down for that role last year, as did LaPolice.
“I will study very hard and my learning curve will be short,” Tedford said. “I’d be naive to say it’s still the same way it was in 1991, but whether it be college, NFL or CFL, trends happen that all feed off each other.”
Lots of tape to study.

Along with the rest of the fans, I had big hunger to see the Head Coach hiring process unfold. Now the hunger switches to seeing the shaping of the assistant coaching staff. I expect some of the present staff will stay on. But which ones?

As noted earlier, I do not expect autonomy to be an issue for this Head Coach. Will Wally still oversee from the rooftop, or the tower? That was Bear Bryant's perch, as Head Coach.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

That story suggested he'd be hiring Cortez?

I missed that.

Cortez has had success an OC and it is easiest for a HC to change this level to keep the heat off them.

I don't blame Tedford for being ticked at Hufnagel's selection over him as OC as that meant more dollars and in those days the ass'ts weren't apparently well paid.

I do think 11 years in one job like where your players turn over faster than the pros is tough.

I am surprised his graduation rates were so low.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Cortez knows the Xs and Os. He has worked with Tedford before. As a fan, I would have no problem with him as OC. It would be ironic, in a sense, if Cortez signs on as OC, since he turned Benny down for that role last year, as did LaPolice.
Joe, Cortez turned Benny down because he knew from JC that the OC in BC did not have control over the offence...coming to the Lions like Jones did was certainty of failure with Dorazio still controlling the running game and the pass blocking. If Cortez signs with the Lions it will be a sign that a new era will begin in BC with our offence...finally...as I said last week, when you create a playbook as an OC or HC, the first thing you do is create the OLine responsibilities, and then how and were the play goes...that's tough to do when you don't control the OLine...I wouldn't have touched that situation in BC for any price...

Merry Christmas my friend!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
Joe, Cortez turned Benny down because he knew from JC that the OC in BC did not have control over the offence...coming to the Lions like Jones did was certainty of failure with Dorazio still controlling the running game and the pass blocking. If Cortez signs with the Lions it will be a sign that a new era will begin in BC with our offence...finally...as I said last week, when you create a playbook as an OC or HC, the first thing you do is create the OLine responsibilities, and then how and were the play goes...that's tough to do when you don't control the OLine...I wouldn't have touched that situation in BC for any price...

Back at ya, MFL. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

We look forward to lots of good football blogging in the new year. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

The_Pauser
Legend

MexicoLionFan wrote:

I completely agree with you. Someone like Jeff Tedford isn't going to sign here for peanuts compared to what he made and what he could make down south if he was going to be micromanaged. You don't micromanage a Jeff Tedford. You go off of his track record and you let him run the ship the way he feels he needs to. If it doesn't work out then you fire him. But it has to be his ship. And you also don't bring in a guy like George Cortez and tell him that Dan Dorazio, or Kelly Bates, or anyone is going to be in charge of the running schemes. It just doesn't happen.

I am very hopeful, and very excited for the possibility of George Cortez joining Tedford in BC. This tandem could turn the Lions into an offensive powerhouse, given the talent we have on the roster. The next (and final?) big question mark would be who we have at QB. Sign Dan LeFevour and that question mark goes away (especially if Lulay shows up to camp healthy).
Roar you Lions roar!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Notre Dame practice, from the tower

Wally on the rooftop

Bobby Bowden, on his tower

I don't like heights all that much. At least Bowden's tower looked like it could withstand a strong wind.

I had the privilege of seeing Bobby Bowden present at a football clinic. Great speaker. Lots of funny stories, mixed in with Xs and Os, receiver drills, routes, et cetera. He said guys could get dog tired playing defence at practice, but if they got a chance to go out for passes, they were suddenly energized.

Towers at practice? Yeah, it is a quiet day on the CFL football front. Taking a break from some computer work.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Isn't Dan LeFevour recovering from knee surgery? If so he might not be 100% come June 2015 and thus could be just as big a gamble as Lulay.
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:Isn't Dan LeFevour recovering from knee surgery? If so he might not be 100% come June 2015 and thus could be just as big a gamble as Lulay.
Agreed. Recovery from that surgery could take up to 12 months, so he might not be ready to play until September.