Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Re Hufnagel ...

Blitz has a handle on all the dates and transitions, I believe.

My recollection, after some spotty research, is this ...

Hufnagel was OC with the New York Giants, until fired after the 2006 season.

The following year, in 2007, as I recall, Hufnagel was brought to our Training Camp as a consultant, to upgrade our offensive systems.

Hufnagel was hired for the Calgary GM and HC positions in 2008.

It seems there was a window in 2007, when Wally could have stayed as GM and hired Hufnagel as Head Coach.

That would have been radical surgery for Wally, following his Grey Cup win in 2006. Possible? It seems that the opportunity was there.

Kent Austin? Well he was available in 2007, following his departure from the Argonauts. Tillman hired him in Saskatchewan.

2013? Austin left Cornell to join the TiCats. Wally had already promoted Mike Benevides back in 2012. Was Austin available? Not at his price, not with the positions he took in Hamilton, and not with Mike Benevides coming off a good regular season in 2012.

The other guys MLF mentions?

Dickenson? He was our quarterback. He had his condo in White Rock. We let him go to Calgary, where he finished out his playing career, and was promptly hired as a coach.

Jones? First come, first serve.

Milanovich? First come, first serve. Toronto got him from Trestman's staff, as we all know.

These were not moves Wally would ever have made. Were they available? Yes, they were. Wally was not going to move himself upstairs at those times.

IMO ... Others certainly can, and do, see it differently.

Did some of us wish Wally had hired Hufnagel back in 2007? Yes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Garcia restated his interest in the B.C. job Wednesday in an interview with News1130.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 27m27 minutes ago
Just talked with Jeff Gacia and he says yes, he would love to be in the running for the #BCLions coaching vacancy.

Garcia says he has a very positive history with gm Wally Buono, says he would be a coach who is an extension of Wally. #BCLions

"With the help of Wally, I could coach that team, offensively and defensively I understand those sides of ball, I'm ready".

Garcia on the Lions : "I love the midddle linebacker, they can get younger in the secondary, offensively they were inconsistent".
So he says he would be an extension of Wally and could coach the team with Wally's help. Isn't that what we just had for three years?
Nooooooo, we don't need another coach being mentored by Buono. We've seen the results.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hambone wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: Wally will have made another HUGE mistake...he has already missed on Huff, DD, Chris Jones, O'Shea, Milanovich, Austin, Rich Campbell...this list is the creme de le creme of CFL coaching.!
Sorry MLF but I can't buy this theory that Wally missed out on some of these guys.

Hufnagel:
Position hired for in Calgary: GM & HC
Situation in BC at the time:
Ackles - President
Buono GM & HC
How did Wally miss out? If he kicked himself upstairs to be GM only do you really think Huf would've come to BC for a lesser role than Calgary offered? Otherwise the only way for Buono to offer a parallel position would've been if Ackles fired him. Was that going to happen coming off a 14-3-1 season and a 5th consecutive divisional title?

Austin:
Position hired for in Hamilton: VP Football Ops, GM & HC
Situation in BC at the time:
Buono VP Football Ops, GM
Benevides HC
Again how did Wally miss out? Do you honestly think Austin would've accepted the lesser roles of HC or even GM/HC in BC than what he was hired for in Hamilton? Again it looks like the only way BC coukd've offered Austin a comparable position to Hamilton would be if Braley cleaned house and canned Buono and Benevides.
Wow, Ham...if I said the sky was blue you would disagree...so have your beliefs...Huff came to BC to "advise" long before he received an offer from the Stamps...Wally could have put something together between the two of them...Wally could have sought out Austin for an interview during the HC vacancy...the fact is that Wally could have moved upstairs and snagged all those names (starting with Huff) had he not gone for the ALL TIME coaching wins...then he hung his hat and hopes on MB and missed drastically. Wally needs to take his time and make the RIGHT decision. But seriously, believe what you want to believe...like MB was the best available coach for our job...

But understand this, if the Lions pass on Garcia, we will regret it, that kind of talent, experience, background and intelligence doesn't come around very often. Eventually he will take a HCing position somewhere and he will be very effective, as he has the confidence to go along with the talent.

Those who doubt Garcia's abilities as a coach must have some issue with his bravado because logically there isn't anything to dislike about his potential as a HC. The biggest thing for me was wondering if he really wanted to do this...he has everything going for him and doesn't need to work...the fact that he wants to intrigues me very much!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Garcia restated his interest in the B.C. job Wednesday in an interview with News1130.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 27m27 minutes ago
Just talked with Jeff Gacia and he says yes, he would love to be in the running for the #BCLions coaching vacancy.

Garcia says he has a very positive history with gm Wally Buono, says he would be a coach who is an extension of Wally. #BCLions

"With the help of Wally, I could coach that team, offensively and defensively I understand those sides of ball, I'm ready".

Garcia on the Lions : "I love the midddle linebacker, they can get younger in the secondary, offensively they were inconsistent".
So he says he would be an extension of Wally and could coach the team with Wally's help. Isn't that what we just had for three years?
Hmmmm ... Yup. That is exactly what we had for three years, BCFAN.

Tough to interpret comments as they come through the filter of the reporters. I am seeing Garcia as a longshot for us at this time. As a fan, I would like to hear his comments, or see them on video.

Either his hat is in the ring, or it is not. Sounds like it is in the ring, despite the more reserved comments reported by Eric Francis.

Could Wally see Jeff Garcia as a serious candidate for the Head Coaching job? Dunno ... In some ways Wally is so down to earth. And then at other times he seems to go off in a rather surprising direction. For example, seeing something in Gary Butler, and staying with him long after the fans were shaking their heads in wonder. LOL

Joe, I think your hypothesis on Eric Francis is probably right...twice now Garcia has made it clear with the press he wants to be a HC in BC...Eric Francis, the homer that he is, spun it a certain way...the fact is if Garcia wants it enough HE will contact Wally and then its up to Wally to conduct the interview process.

But right now look who is available within the CFL...the DCs in SSK, HAM and MTL, the OC in HAM and Paul LaPolice. Other than Ritchie Hall who had one shot in EDM where he did too much and didn't get ANY help from his GM, no one has the kind of resume that distances themselves from Garcia. As I have said before JG's unique background is unparalleled in CFL coaching and the fact that he wants to come here and not the NFL is quite fortunate. His comments that he could coach right now with Wally's help are purrfect for our situation. When Garcia talks about coaching like Wally, that doesn't mean without unique or effective systems, he means Wally's history of HOLDING PLAYERS ACCOUNTABLE! That's all...having Wally's help refers to what you mentioned yesterday...assistance with the draft and his administrative functions. Garcia is not going to Wally for help with the offence and defence. Garcia clearly stated that he understands both sides of the ball and has an approach on how to be effective. He will hire people that reflect his beliefs about Offence and Defence. Right now, everyone is overthinking this. I thought your comments Joe were the best I read thus far. Garcia has made himself a candidate, we MUST take it very seriously because we cannot afford to miss on his potential and future! Wally simply needs to conduct a proper interview and make his determination. If Garcia is ready, Wally will know it.

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sounds to me like his own acknowledgement that he's not there yet on the administrative/management aspects of the HC position.
Yes, which is why it is purrfect for Wally...it keeps his hands in it WITHOUT influencing Offensive and Defensive philosophies! Again, Garcia is NOT saying he needs Wally to hold his hand so that he can coach. People are taking these 2nd hand comments out of context and running wild with them. Garcia is a UNIQUE talent for coaching...he has successfully coached privately with top players, he helped to create an incredible turn around with MTL and their rookie QB...if he has systems in place both offensively and defensively, then he's ready.

Having Wally's help and support administratively and Managerially only makes Garcia and the Lions better. As Joe said, its a purrfect situation for Wally because these aspects of football he has in his back pocket...they are 2nd nature to Wally! Its a great scenario IMO. Garcia is the young blood that Wally talked about...he already has a positive relationship with Wally...he would have Wally's help and involvement just NOT with on field philosophies and decisions. Best worlds IMO.

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Sorry MLF but I can't buy this theory that Wally missed out on some of these guys.
Or are you suggesting that they were only legit candidates AFTER they took CFL coaching jobs??? If you wait for others to act they will and you will never get your guy...sometimes to get a great young coaching talent you have to move a little early...if you wait for purrfect timing, you get the Paul LaPolice's...out of football waiting for a phone call.

There were MANY of us who were calling for Hufnagel as coach in 2007...we had the opportunity to get him and Wally let him go...that's plain and simple. We have been on the downhill ever since Wally made that choice...FACT!

Albert Einstein
David
Team Captain

Yes, MLF I can corroborate about Hufnagel helping out the organization as a consultant. I distinctly recall him overhauling our offense about 5-6 years ago when it had stalled. I seem to recall him doing a stint at training camp as well.

As for Garcia, I definitely want him in the organization, just not sure if he's head coaching material just yet. Would like him to pay his dues as an OC first. The other cautionary flag is that I saw him interviewed and he said his goal is to coach down in the National Football League and win a Super Bowl. Not sure how long he'd be willing to commit to the CFL.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:

But right now look who is available within the CFL...the DCs in SSK, HAM and MTL, the OC in HAM and Paul LaPolice. Other than Ritchie Hall who had one shot in EDM where he did too much and didn't get ANY help from his GM, no one has the kind of resume that distances themselves from Garcia. As I have said before JG's unique background is unparalleled in CFL coaching and the fact that he wants to come here and not the NFL is quite fortunate. His comments that he could coach right now with Wally's help are purrfect for our situation. When Garcia talks about coaching like Wally, that doesn't mean without unique or effective systems, he means Wally's history of HOLDING PLAYERS ACCOUNTABLE! That's all...having Wally's help refers to what you mentioned yesterday...assistance with the draft and his administrative functions. Garcia is not going to Wally for help with the offence and defence. Garcia clearly stated that he understands both sides of the ball and has an approach on how to be effective. He will hire people that reflect his beliefs about Offence and Defence. Right now, everyone is overthinking this. I thought your comments Joe were the best I read thus far. Garcia has made himself a candidate, we MUST take it very seriously because we cannot afford to miss on his potential and future! Wally simply needs to conduct a proper interview and make his determination. If Garcia is ready, Wally will know it.
Garcia has made it clear that his ultimate goal is a head coaching gig in the NFL and he knows full well he won't get an opportunity if he lacks head coaching experience, hence his interest in BC
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
There were MANY of us who were calling for Hufnagel as coach in 2007...we had the opportunity to get him and Wally let him go...that's plain and simple. We have been on the downhill ever since Wally made that choice...FACT!
Here's a possible reason why Buono did not relinquish the head coach to John Hufnagel, Buono was chasing the all time winningest coach held by Don Matthews. Just throwing it out for discussion.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
Here's a possible reason why Buono did not relinquish the head coach to John Hufnagel, Buono was chasing the all time winningest coach held by Don Matthews. Just throwing it out for discussion.
Yep, Wally bypassed the creme de le creme of current CFL coaches to get that mark...I just don't want to pass up on Garcia. As for coaching in the NFL, that's a given for Garcia...the fact that he wants to start here is GREAT...let him make his name in BC and develop great ASST coaches like a Travis Lulay, so that when he leaves we have a strong pool to draw from.

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
Yep, Wally bypassed the creme de le creme of current CFL coaches to get that mark...I just don't want to pass up on Garcia. As for coaching in the NFL, that's a given for Garcia...the fact that he wants to start here is GREAT...let him make his name in BC and develop great ASST coaches like a Travis Lulay, so that when he leaves we have a strong pool to draw from.
We will see what unfolds, but I highly doubt that Garcia gets a HC job with the Lions and that is the CFL Lions for 2015.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:
MLF, I like your assessment of Garcia. While his lack of actual coaching experience makes him an outside the box HC gamble, it is more than compensated by his unique CFL/NFL experiences under some of the NFL's best HC/GMs. His post football career as a QB trainer and his work with Crompton also count for a lot, imo. Isn't Bo Mitchell one of Garcia's QB training clients? A pretty good reference in itself.

Garcia is a high energy guy and I see him being good new face of the franchise that can help sell tickets.
dupsdell1
Champion

Take a peak at this video by Lowell Ullrich,

http://www.theprovince.com/index.html

Look off to the right at the bottom

If this happens I am getting season tickets

WOW
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

isn't hufnagel already here???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

That scenario is not as crazy as it sounds. I get the feeling that Hufnagel is still very much interested in coaching. The longer he remains in Calgary as HC the more likelihood of Dave Dickenson leaving for greener pasture despite all the talk about a succession plan.