Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:Wally was on the radio right after Jeff Garcia was brought in by MTL. He said he was very surprised that Garcia was in coaching. He mentioned Garcia was not an X's and O's guy during his playing days.

Personally, I have my doubts about Garcia. IMO there is zero chance that he has the ability to produce an innovative/productive CFL offensive playbook. That may be an unfair statement, but that is my gut feeling.
However, I'm not sure it can get much worse than the current offensive coaching staff that we employ.
That is interesting, kd4e.

Wally says Garcia was no Xs and Os guy in his playing days? By his own admission, Wally was no Xs and Os guy in his coaching days.

And after playing QB with 11 different pro teams, one can hardly say Garcia is no Xs and Os guy now.

And Popp and Higgins thought highly enough of Garcia to bring him in this year.

We don't really know what Garcia can bring. The Lions' staff should talk to him to get an informed opinion.

Garcia put his cards on the table. He wants to be a Head Coach. Will he get there? Not wise to bet against him, methinks. And it will probably be somewhere else.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

LU made a good point in todays column (I think it was todays :dizzy: ). Paul LaPolice has 16 wins as a head coach, Benevides had 33.

Still its a chicken/egg scenario. Hows he supposed to get the wins until given a chance? And I'll admit, at the time it seemed the Bombers pulled the trigger on his time at the helm a little early.

Maybe the Coach's Playbook gig is more than good enough? I hope to see him coaching somewhere in the CFL. Just like Garcia. You know enough about these guys from watching them and listening to them, it'll be nice to see how they do in the role....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wow, can't believe all this love for Jeff Garcia.
don't know about love and don't know about his coaching, but tons of respect for his qb accomplishments.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Ravi
Legend

notahomer wrote:LU made a good point in todays column (I think it was todays :dizzy: ). Paul LaPolice has 16 wins as a head coach, Benevides had 33.

Still its a chicken/egg scenario. Hows he supposed to get the wins until given a chance? And I'll admit, at the time it seemed the Bombers pulled the trigger on his time at the helm a little early.

Maybe the Coach's Playbook gig is more than good enough? I hope to see him coaching somewhere in the CFL. Just like Garcia. You know enough about these guys from watching them and listening to them, it'll be nice to see how they do in the role....
Consider that 7 of Lapolice's 16 wins came during the first half of the 2011 season. He went 4-14 the year before that and only won another four or five games over the next year after the 7-1 start in '11. I think that Lapolice is a good assistant coach but I have my doubts about him as a head coach.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
notahomer wrote:LU made a good point in todays column (I think it was todays :dizzy: ). Paul LaPolice has 16 wins as a head coach, Benevides had 33.

Consider that 7 of Lapolice's 16 wins came during the first half of the 2011 season. He went 4-14 the year before that and only won another four or five games over the next year after the 7-1 start in '11. I think that Lapolice is a good assistant coach but I have my doubts about him as a head coach.
Any selection is going to have his detractors I suspect. What Wally has to do is weed out the guys like himself, find an offensive minded X and O's guy, and don't hinge it on the new HC having the same faith as Wally does. It is going to be a crap shoot, other than perhaps Trestman.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

korey&dante4ever wrote:Wally was on the radio right after Jeff Garcia was brought in by MTL. He said he was very surprised that Garcia was in coaching. He mentioned Garcia was not an X's and O's guy during his playing days.

Personally, I have my doubts about Garcia. IMO there is zero chance that he has the ability to produce an innovative/productive CFL offensive playbook. That may be an unfair statement, but that is my gut feeling.
However, I'm not sure it can get much worse than the current offensive coaching staff that we employ.
Scratch Garcia off the list.

A QB who doesn't know the plays and was in the NFL and CFL for many, many years and in the NFL in different systems?

I call BS. I played QB in minor football and HS I knew what every freaking player did on every play!!! How on freaking earth can you be a QB and not know x and o......

If he doesn't like him - fine but trashing the guy like that.... wow.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Toppy Vann wrote:

A QB who doesn't know the plays and was in the NFL and CFL for many, many years and in the NFL in different systems?

I call BS. I played QB in minor football and HS I knew what every freaking player did on every play!!! How on freaking earth can you be a QB and not know x and o......

Kind of a odd thing for Wally to say, but at the time Wally was not looking to hire a HC. So hopefully he at least gives Garcia a chance to interview. This is not a time for Wally to get stubborn or opinionated, it is a time to be innovative and think outside the box.

Pinball Clemons went from player to coach and won a GC. Garcia has a lot more credentials and experience than Pinball and way more than when Wally was Garcia's coach in Calgary.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:

I agree Toppy...I call quadruple BS...no QB goes through 4 NFL teams at an All Pro level without knowing the X's and the O's...Garcia could have done ANYTHING with his life at this point, why coaching if it were not for the passion of writing your own playbook and outmanoeuvring opposing coaches??? You have to love strategy, teaching and interacting with people to be a coach! No disciple of Bill Walsh would have a QB on their team that didn't understand the playbook inside and out...look at who Garcia followed in SF...they were the SMARTEST QBs in Football!

I am convinced that if Garcia shows Wally that he's ready through an in depth interview process, he will be our new coach...there is an ability, experience and knowledge that LaPolice and other coaches will never have.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A good story on Garcia's situation by Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun.
Former Calgary Stampeders great Jeff Garcia interested in B.C. Lions head coaching vacancy

Dave Dickenson has no interest in taking the vacant B.C. Lions head coaching job. But another former Calgary Stampeders quarterbacking great just might.
Mere hours after cleaning out his office in Montreal and heading back to meet his family in California, Jeff Garcia told the Calgary Sun he’s certainly intrigued by the possibility.
“Would I consider it if (Lions GM) Wally (Buono) approached me or wanted to talk about it — I can’t say I would say, ‘No,’ ” said Garcia from the Detroit airport late Monday afternoon.
“If I went to coach in Montreal as a quarterback coach, why wouldn’t I look at a head coaching job?”
After spending a few years dabbling in private coaching, mentoring and representing several young football prospects in California, Garcia shocked many by joining the Montreal Alouettes in August to help stabilize the struggling squad’s young quarterbacks.
Although he desperately missed his wife — former Playboy Playmate of the Year Carmella DeCesare — and four young kids, he enjoyed the experience.

“It was a job I was appreciative for,” said Garcia, whose five seasons playing for Buono in Calgary were punctuated by a Grey Cup win in 1998 in which his MVP performance acted as a springboard for a lucrative 11-year NFL career. “We did a good job turning the situation around — it was a great second half of the season. There are a lot of good things that came out of it. There’s a good chance this journey could continue down the coaching path.
“Whether it’s private coaching that keeps me active six months in the off-season or an actual coaching job in the CFL, NFL or college, I’m open.”
As the son of a football coach growing up, the four-time NFL Pro-Bowler knows all about the long hours and nomadic lifestyle of a high-level coach, which is why the native of Gilroy, Calif., also tempers his enthusiasm for a full-time job with a strong desire to maintain family time — something few pro football coaches have any semblance of.
“I’m not in a position I desperately need a job, so I’m going to be particular about any job I look at,” said Garcia, 44, who made 10s of millions of dollars in the NFL.
“I haven’t even considered talking to Wally about it yet. I spoke to him in Montreal when the Lions were there (for the East Division semifinal), but that was just in general — they hadn’t made a decision (to fire head coach Mike Benevides) then.”

Benevides was fired last week by the CFL’s Lions.
Garcia listed his 11,000 square-foot southern California home just outside San Diego in late August for US$7.75 million, as he and his wife planned to eventually build on a piece of land they bought in San Diego. However, he says they’ve also discussed moving to the Midwest, where she is from.
“She’s expressed openness in terms of relocating, but those are basic talks,” said Garcia. “I’m not a sit-at-home kind of guy. I need to be motivated and doing things. Whatever I decide to do next year — whether it’s coaching or not — it has to benefit my entire family. It can’t just be about me. My main thing is I still want to have my family time.”
“Right now, I want to decompress for awhile and not even think about football. My wife and kids need me back, and I need to be back.”
Garcia says his wife likes to remind him that while he played, he always said he’d never wanted to coach.
“Who knows?” said Garcia, clearly uncertain when or where he may resurface in the football world.

“It’d be interesting to see who Wally is looking at. I haven’t approached him, but that relationship is there.”

eric.francis@sunmedia.ca
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:A good story on Garcia's situation by Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun.
Thanks, Sammy.

From the article by Eric Francis ...
“Would I consider it if (Lions GM) Wally (Buono) approached me or wanted to talk about it — I can’t say I would say, ‘No,’ ” said Garcia from the Detroit airport late Monday afternoon.

“If I went to coach in Montreal as a quarterback coach, why wouldn’t I look at a head coaching job?”
“It was a job I was appreciative for,” said Garcia, whose five seasons playing for Buono in Calgary were punctuated by a Grey Cup win in 1998 in which his MVP performance acted as a springboard for a lucrative 11-year NFL career. “We did a good job turning the situation around — it was a great second half of the season. There are a lot of good things that came out of it. There’s a good chance this journey could continue down the coaching path.

“Whether it’s private coaching that keeps me active six months in the off-season or an actual coaching job in the CFL, NFL or college, I’m open.”
As the son of a football coach growing up, the four-time NFL Pro-Bowler knows all about the long hours and nomadic lifestyle of a high-level coach, which is why the native of Gilroy, Calif., also tempers his enthusiasm for a full-time job with a strong desire to maintain family time — something few pro football coaches have any semblance of.
“I’m not in a position I desperately need a job, so I’m going to be particular about any job I look at,” said Garcia, 44, who made 10s of millions of dollars in the NFL.

“I haven’t even considered talking to Wally about it yet. I spoke to him in Montreal when the Lions were there (for the East Division semifinal), but that was just in general — they hadn’t made a decision (to fire head coach Mike Benevides) then.”
“She’s expressed openness in terms of relocating, but those are basic talks,” said Garcia. “I’m not a sit-at-home kind of guy. I need to be motivated and doing things. Whatever I decide to do next year — whether it’s coaching or not — it has to benefit my entire family. It can’t just be about me. My main thing is I still want to have my family time.”

“Right now, I want to decompress for awhile and not even think about football. My wife and kids need me back, and I need to be back.”

Garcia says his wife likes to remind him that while he played, he always said he’d never wanted to coach.

“Who knows?” said Garcia, clearly uncertain when or where he may resurface in the football world.

“It’d be interesting to see who Wally is looking at. I haven’t approached him, but that relationship is there.”
I have to say that these comments, as reported by Eric Francis, make Garcia's interest in the Lions sound more lukewarm.

Stampeder fans don't want Dave Dickenson to come here. Is this reporting by Eric Francis more of that same attitude? Keep Garcia's CFL legacy to the Calgary Stampeders? Dunno ... Surprising to me how the article by Francis gives a completely different slant on the intentions, and interest level in the B.C. job, of Jeff Garcia.

These comments from Jeff Garcia, as reported by Lowell Ullrich, suggest Garcia has a strong interest in the job.
“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first,” said Garcia, who got his break in pro football in 1994 when he succeeded Doug Flutie at quarterback for Buono’s Calgary Stampeders.

“I understand offence and I’m a leader. If Wally called, I’d definitely listen and be interested.”
If Garcia is truly interested, we will know soon enough.

In any case, my guess is Wally will not go far, if at all, outside the box in his thinking. I think Garcia is a longshot for us.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Garcia restated his interest in the B.C. job Wednesday in an interview with News1130.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 27m27 minutes ago
Just talked with Jeff Gacia and he says yes, he would love to be in the running for the #BCLions coaching vacancy.

Garcia says he has a very positive history with gm Wally Buono, says he would be a coach who is an extension of Wally. #BCLions

"With the help of Wally, I could coach that team, offensively and defensively I understand those sides of ball, I'm ready".

Garcia on the Lions : "I love the midddle linebacker, they can get younger in the secondary, offensively they were inconsistent".
So he says he would be an extension of Wally and could coach the team with Wally's help. Isn't that what we just had for three years?
South Pender
Legend

Just a thought on Wally's comments about Garcia and his not being an x's a o's guy. Could it be possible that Wally was using that term in a different sense than it has been used in this thread? It's certainly true that a QB has to know the plays inside and out--what he needs to be doing along with what the other players should be doing--and to carry the plays out as scripted. And I think we can be sure that Garcia, having considerable success as a QB at the highest level, was good at that. However, being able to understand plays and carry them out does not necessarily correlate highly with being an innovative and clever designer of plays, or being able to change tactics when needed. So perhaps Wally meant the latter quality: a clever, innovative offensive mind that can beat opponents by designing plays each week in anticipation of the next opponent--something that we've seen in spades with Marc Trestman. It's hard to know whether Garcia has ever been involved in the kind of strategic game-planning that might be Wally's understanding of x's and o's. In his playing days, the plays would have been sent in to Garcia by the OC, and he did carry them out well for the most part, but although effective at executing plays, does he have the offensive mind that can out-fox opponents by designing or adapting plays innovatively as the need arises?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Garcia restated his interest in the B.C. job Wednesday in an interview with News1130.
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports · 27m27 minutes ago
Just talked with Jeff Gacia and he says yes, he would love to be in the running for the #BCLions coaching vacancy.

Garcia says he has a very positive history with gm Wally Buono, says he would be a coach who is an extension of Wally. #BCLions

"With the help of Wally, I could coach that team, offensively and defensively I understand those sides of ball, I'm ready".

Garcia on the Lions : "I love the midddle linebacker, they can get younger in the secondary, offensively they were inconsistent".
So he says he would be an extension of Wally and could coach the team with Wally's help. Isn't that what we just had for three years?
Hmmmm ... Yup. That is exactly what we had for three years, BCFAN.

Tough to interpret comments as they come through the filter of the reporters. I am seeing Garcia as a longshot for us at this time. As a fan, I would like to hear his comments, or see them on video.

Either his hat is in the ring, or it is not. Sounds like it is in the ring, despite the more reserved comments reported by Eric Francis.

Could Wally see Jeff Garcia as a serious candidate for the Head Coaching job? Dunno ... In some ways Wally is so down to earth. And then at other times he seems to go off in a rather surprising direction. For example, seeing something in Gary Butler, and staying with him long after the fans were shaking their heads in wonder. LOL

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

MexicoLionFan wrote: Wally will have made another HUGE mistake...he has already missed on Huff, DD, Chris Jones, O'Shea, Milanovich, Austin, Rich Campbell...this list is the creme de le creme of CFL coaching.!
Sorry MLF but I can't buy this theory that Wally missed out on some of these guys.

Hufnagel:
Position hired for in Calgary: GM & HC
Situation in BC at the time:
Ackles - President
Buono GM & HC
How did Wally miss out? If he kicked himself upstairs to be GM only do you really think Huf would've come to BC for a lesser role than Calgary offered? Otherwise the only way for Buono to offer a parallel position would've been if Ackles fired him. Was that going to happen coming off a 14-3-1 season and a 5th consecutive divisional title?

Austin:
Position hired for in Hamilton: VP Football Ops, GM & HC
Situation in BC at the time:
Buono VP Football Ops, GM
Benevides HC
Again how did Wally miss out? Do you honestly think Austin would've accepted the lesser roles of HC or even GM/HC in BC than what he was hired for in Hamilton? Again it looks like the only way BC coukd've offered Austin a comparable position to Hamilton would be if Braley cleaned house and canned Buono and Benevides.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sounds to me like his own acknowledgement that he's not there yet on the administrative/management aspects of the HC position.