Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

globespanner
Rookie

Further to my post I will bet real money that Jeff Garcia owns one of the limited editions of the definitive bible 550 pages that Bill Walsh wrote on coaching.

I do not know why i believe this but over achievers like me would to own that. read the article hear on Bill Walsh's book

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88652 ... n-magazine
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jeff Garcia

Way outside of the box hiring, it it came to be. Big time credentials as a quarterback. How often does an opportunity to hire a guy like this come along?

He has been with an amazing number of teams and systems. And thrived.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Jeff Reinbold is, IMO, one helluva coach. He ran wild is his time with Winnipeg, and he might never have been suited to the world of Head Coaching.

As noted a few times on here, when he was with the Lions, I saw him present at a coaching clinic on STs. Very impressive. He kept most of the wild guy stuff off the agenda.

I am glad to see him do well with Hamilton.

Not recommending him for our HC gig.
I think he should be extended an interview. A lot of years have passed now.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Marc Trestman

And some would say, a lifetime assistant without the makeup to be a Head Coach. Trestman's hiring was considered "outside of the box" thinking by Jim Popp. And I am fan of Marc Trestman. There were many sceptics about his hiring in Montreal.

Mike Benevides

A different route. A "safe" choice. Familiar with the program. Proven ability to work with the boss, Wally Buono. A good guy.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Jeff Reinbold is, IMO, one helluva coach. He ran wild is his time with Winnipeg, and he might never have been suited to the world of Head Coaching.

As noted a few times on here, when he was with the Lions, I saw him present at a coaching clinic on STs. Very impressive. He kept most of the wild guy stuff off the agenda.

Dunno if he is Wally's kind of guy. As I said, it was great to see him having fun with the STs in Hamilton. He can be a great motivator. And despite his, at one time, reputation as a "wild man on a motorcycle," he is a very hard working coach. Very smart hire by Kent Austin.

And once again, re Jeff Garcia, I have a hard time seeing Wally going outside the box like that. So I expect we will miss out.

I would not be surprised if Paul LaPolice ends up being Wally's pick. Lots of ground to cover first.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:

I agree...I will guarantee you this about people with "confidence"...if its real, if they KNOW it, they are successful, GUARANTEED! When Reinbold failed as a HC it was because he struggled with his own beliefs that he could do it...the confidence we "see" becomes the illusion necessary to make us think everything is alright. For Reinbold, he could coach S Ts in his sleep...he knows how good he is at it...now, if he could actually believe that about HC'ing then he would make one hell of a HC...I too would give him the opportunity to interview...my experience has always been that YOU learn so much from interviewing other people...it makes YOU better!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Like Joe's comment yesterday on Tom Condon in HAM, I WANT to see Assistants that move around a lot with success...stuck in one place for too long as an assistant speaks to the fact that being successful is more important to them than learning...if your goal is to become a HC then you MUST learn from as many great minds as you can...you piece it all together and eventually make it your own. Benevides did NOT do this...and that's not Wally's fault, that was a conscious decision by MB to play it safe...that's living a lie IMO...blowing things up every once in a while isn't a bad thing...life is about experiences, whether you like them or not. MB could still become a good HC but as Joe said, he needs to leave BC and go out and find the world...there are thousands of philosophies out there about how to win...

Chris Jones went out this past off season and reached out to incredibly successful people in all facets of life and asked them what their personal secret was (it included speaking with Bill Parcells)...he said he learned a ton by rubbing elbows with greatness...I think MB went out last season and found out the actual ingredients to ice cream...not the same...

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

South Pender wrote:I appreciate the enthusiasm expressed for Jeff Garcia--at a time when we need new-found enthusiasm re the Lions. But I respectfully disagree that Garcia's "knowing" he can be a great HC means that he can and will be. Simply put, the world is full of people who "know" that they could be successful at levels far above their talents. Self-deception--or unrealistic self-image--is a very common phenomenon, something seen by clinical psychologists every day. So, for me anyway, Garcia's announcing that he knows that he could be a successful HC in the CFL at this point in his development sounds more like an unrealistic self-appraisal than evidence of his having the right stuff right now. Garcia has a reputation for shooting off his mouth or, to put it a little more gently, being opinionated. All I'm saying is that although Garcia may have what it takes to be a HC, depending on his word for this would be a mistake. Actions speak a lot louder than words, and a few years of real coaching in the CFL--maybe culminating in an OC gig--would provide a much more accurate picture of his real HC potential. I ran across this short piece from Pro Football Talk (from 2009) about Garcia.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... both-ways/

As for the Trestman example, it's important to remember that Trestman coached at varying levels with NFL teams (not to mention an additional several years with college teams) for 17 years, including a number of those years as Offensive Coordinator--developing his leadership and management skills--before he took on the HC job in Montreal. Garcia, on the other hand, although a good QB in his day, has what? 3 months of coaching experience.

Just my $.02.
Always love your input SP...thanks...there are lots of false and half beliefs out there, but they don't work...its like the Star Trek episode (which I encourage everyone to rewatch) Spectre of the Gun, at the OK Corral, the bullets weren't real but you HAD TO KNOW, the slightest doubt would kill you...that's how it works for everyone with everything in life...there is no such thing as chance or luck, those are just marketing ploys! Garcia has all the tools in the world to become a HC...if he KNOWS this, then he will be...some need years of experience, some don't...its simply a choice based on your belief system...comfort zone.

Garcia strikes me as the kind of guy who KNOWS and wouldn't ask for this chance if he wasn't sure...remember, football has quite a memory...if he came here unprepared and failed it would follow him around a long while!

Albert Einstein
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

rita should have decked him. don't want him anywhere near the lions
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:

rita should have decked him. don't want him anywhere near the lions
Most wouldn't want Rita anywhere near the Lions. It wasn't until Ackles got back here and canned him that things started to turn around here after years of indifference from the market.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Don Miller wrote:I would like to see Lapolice as head coach and Garcia as our OC. Let's get Geroy back in the fold here to mend some fences and to coach our receivers. Goodbye to Joe Paopao, McMann and Dorazio. Lets make Kelly Bates our OL coach. Hey we can wish can't we??
I want to hear both of their views as to how to proceed and move forward and what kind of coaching they believe they can assemble.

Lapo was reticent to give up play calling and led to the bizarre interloper forced on him by this zany GM. It didn't look good on either of them.

Garcia as SP would need to show he understands the role of HC and how he would do this.

Isnt' Austin a comparison? Quite frankly Kent as a player could miss his role in bad team play. Garcia was opposite and has been pretty instrumental in getting players playing well. That is coaching how he does this and ask Bo Levi. Hero coaches call plays. Real coaches like Garcia don't need to be in the same city to have an impact. Levi if not hurt this year was heading to MOP.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow, can't believe all this love for Jeff Garcia.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wow, can't believe all this love for Jeff Garcia.
I wouldn't call it love, TLK.

Not speaking for any others here, but for me, I sense a guy who has overcome a lot of doubt by others in his career. He made himself into a Pro Bowl quarterback, and a Grey Cup champion quarterback. He has endured, and learned from, 11 different pro franchises. That is one heckuva lot of exposure to both good systems and coaches, and bad.

I had an experience in retail working with about 20 different stores over a period of three years, not in staff, but consulting. I learned one heckuva lot from different management styles, culture, planning, organizing, delegating, all of it. Saw some great leaders, and some poor ones.

I see that with guys like Trestman as a coach, and I see that with a guy like Garcia as a quarterback. Exposure to different cultures.

So much would depend on how Garcia comes across in an in depth interview process. Two days at least. Fully structured. Professionally done. Two days more than: "Hey, how you doing? Long time no see. Tell me what you would bring to this job."

As noted, if he is the real deal, as could be possible, we could be kicking ourselves for years for letting the opportunity slip by. I expect we will know if he is the real deal as a coach at some time in the not too distant future. Either with us, or with someone else.

Ya gotta dig in and find out. IMO ... Others see it differently.

No offer on the table at this point. That depends on the interview process.

MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wow, can't believe all this love for Jeff Garcia.
I wouldn't call it love, TLK.

Not speaking for any others here, but for me, I sense a guy who has overcome a lot of doubt by others in his career. He made himself into a Pro Bowl quarterback, and a Grey Cup champion quarterback. He has endured, and learned from, 11 different pro franchises. That is one heckuva lot of exposure to both good systems and coaches, and bad.

I had an experience in retail working with about 20 different stores over a period of three years, not in staff, but consulting. I learned one heckuva lot from different management styles, culture, planning, organizing, delegating, all of it. Saw some great leaders, and some poor ones.

I see that with guys like Trestman as a coach, and I see that with a guy like Garcia as a quarterback. Exposure to different cultures.

So much would depend on how Garcia comes across in an in depth interview process. Two days at least. Fully structured. Professionally done. Two days more than: "Hey, how you doing? Long time no see. Tell me what you would bring to this job."

As noted, if he is the real deal, as could be possible, we could be kicking ourselves for years for letting the opportunity slip by. I expect we will know if he is the real deal as a coach at some time in the not too distant future. Either with us, or with someone else.

Ya gotta dig in and find out. IMO ... Others see it differently.

No offer on the table at this point. That depends on the interview process.
Garcia has kick started his career as a CFL coach...EVERY TEAM in the league just hear what he said and every team would LOVE to have him on their coaching staff...right now every other team in the league is "full" at HC...there's no one who's job would be in danger now the MB is gone...the only other thing that I could see happening is Jim Popp pushing Higgins aside so that they don't lose Garcia, but that would make things awkward as Garcia would be jumping ahead of a good DC and an OC that came in part way into the season and did a great job with a young QB and team in turmoil, so the chances are unlikely. If we were to wait another year on this another team might find themselves more inclined to make a change and would snap up Garcia in a heart beat.

I didn't call for this initially because I had no idea that Jeff was going to pronounce himself ready, but it he has, we have to act...again like Joe said, unless he has a poor, unprepared interview, Wally MUST give Garcia a LONG, LONG look because we can't afford to pass on him unless we absolutely know the "other" guy will be just as good. There is NO DOUBT that Garcia is going to be a great coach and the CFL is fortunate, like with DD, that he has chosen to start his coaching career in Canada. Wally didn't ask for this, but now that Garcia has said it, we are almost obliged to sign him if the interview process goes well.

He's that smart, he's that gifted...he has experiences UNSEEN by any other CFL coach in its history! We can't miss on that guys, we can't!

Albert Einstein
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Wally was on the radio right after Jeff Garcia was brought in by MTL. He said he was very surprised that Garcia was in coaching. He mentioned Garcia was not an X's and O's guy during his playing days.

Personally, I have my doubts about Garcia. IMO there is zero chance that he has the ability to produce an innovative/productive CFL offensive playbook. That may be an unfair statement, but that is my gut feeling.
However, I'm not sure it can get much worse than the current offensive coaching staff that we employ.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.