Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:It's finally on

Very pathetic conference micky mousy done , this is were the cfl, lions comes across sometimes so bush league.
Lions have tweeted that a full video of the media conference will be posted soon:
Update: we will be posting the full press conference shortly. Stay tuned. #TedfordBC
You can now find the video at the same link I already gave for the press conference, or just watch it on youtube (embed below). It's only about 16min long.

[video][/video]

EDIT: very shaky, distracting camera work. Was there no tripod available? Cutting away to nothing particular and then back several times, too.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

There is good and bad here.

The Bad:

Whoever did that raw camera work should be fired. You are the club's in house videographer get a bleeping tripod, setup in a prime spot and have it setup pre-press conference for FSM's sake! The lack of internal website professionalism in presentation is completely unacceptable.

I've really grown tired of Skulsky making an a** of himself at press conferences. This is a football operations press conference to introduce a head coach. No one wants to see you hand out gifts and flowers. Could someone, please sit Skulsky down and explain to him that his role is to interact with the business community, make sound, long term business decisions in the best interests on the franchise, enhance the overall value of the franchise for the owner and enhance the profile of the franchise. Wally is the face of the franchise. You are the executor of the business operations portion of it. No one comes to these to see you. Get off the camera, button up your suit and get to a Toastmasters class.

What his role isn't is to bigfoot his own GM and new Head Coach by putting on a display of Christmas time generosity. Exactly zero members of the media are going to care that you're handing out flowers. You are wasting time and embarrassing yourself and the club. Do it off camera. :clown:

*deep breath*

Get the press conferences out of the locker room. While we're all aware that backdrops have their limits, it really looks chintzy when a cameraman zooms out (who shouldn't be zooming out) to find that you're doing this in a cramped lockerroom. Either use a concourse or a conference room for these things.

The Good:

So once the dog and pony portion of the program is done, Tedford comes on. The immediate impression is that he is absolutely a football coach. It's evident immediately in his demeanor and his cadence, and he doesn't hide it well. You get the pleasant impression that this is what he is born to do. You get the impression that he is starting from almost zero when it comes to contemporary CFL baselines, and that isn't great, but at least he didn't try to BS you. I cringe a little bit when I heard "this is a passing league" and "I've watched as much CFL on tv as I can", but, cringeworthy as those lines may be, at least he's honest with it. He would be advised to bring Cortez on board, and quickly. It also seems that he loves the game, so that's nice.

And in the end, this may be what we want. Wally has an understanding of the big picture, and Tedford is here to oversee and ensure proper execution of his coaching philosophy. I get the sense that the concern for overarching season themes and group togetherness that existed under MB are history. And for a few years, anyway, this may be what we need as a club. Will it be good? That remains to be seen.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that video, sj. First time around very little of the press conference showed on the live feed.

WB: "value of family" ... "build the club, build the league" ...

terrible camera work ... sound was awful ... could hardly hear Skulsky ...

JT: "family effort ... sacrifices ... wife and two boys ... family is excited to be here ... fond memories for the CFL, as a player and coach ... Tedford nicely attired in appropriate colours ... looking forward to getting started ... staff, players ... great meeting with Travis ... establish an environment of hard work, trust, commitment, dedication and discipline ... gonna work hard to put an exciting product on the field ... grateful to be here ... "

can't hear questions ...

"Fresno State made it difficult to turn down the offer ... kept an eye on the CFL ... high talent, competitive ... "

"CFL game very exciting ... took some CFL concepts in the U.S. ... will get back into the CFL environment ... he will get back into it very fast ... "

"reputation as quarterback coach ... need to see our QB roster on tape ... anxious to work closely with Travis ... fortunate to work with great QBs ... talent, student of the game, leadership ... very impressed by Travis ... build relationship with the players ... "

"important to be solid in all three phases ... will watch the tape ... offence, defence and STs ... "

"visit with guys on staff ... has some people in mind ... process ... Mark W at dinner ... get to know the person ... "

"always loved Vancouver ... quality of life is important to us ... wife born in Canada ... both sons born here ... "

Impressions: very solid guy, down to earth, very comfortable with his role, very confident

It would seem that Wally has taken a very strong step in addressing the team's need for Xs and Os leadership, team culture, talent assessment, perspective, quarterback development, and competitiveness as a team, in a league that is on the rise in its coaching level. Any guarantees that we can immediately match what Hufnagel has built in Calgary, for example? No. But this is a possibility relatively soon. IMO Wally could not have done better in his continent-wide search for a new Head Coach. Very impressed with Jeff Tedford, as a man, and as a coach.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: sound was awful ... could hardly hear Skulsky ...
You type that like it's a bad thing.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: sound was awful ... could hardly hear Skulsky ...
You type that like it's a bad thing.
LOL

Thanks for the chuckle, cro.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: The other thing that strikes me about this great HC signing is just how effective Wally must have been to persuade Tedford to come to Vancouver. At the moment, this looks like a true GM coup (but, of course, if Tedford bombs, it will look quite different). So let's give Wally the credit that I think he deserves for moving us to a place that augurs well for success.
It's Divine Providence
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I couldn't watch the video. Absolutely terrible. Poor filming and poor audio.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
South Pender wrote: The other thing that strikes me about this great HC signing is just how effective Wally must have been to persuade Tedford to come to Vancouver. At the moment, this looks like a true GM coup (but, of course, if Tedford bombs, it will look quite different). So let's give Wally the credit that I think he deserves for moving us to a place that augurs well for success.
It's Divine Providence
I sure seems like there was some sort of pre determined destiny involved in the way the ideal CFL HC candidate has fallen into the Lions lap.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I couldn't watch the video. Absolutely terrible. Poor filming and poor audio.
I actually posted it before I even bothered to look at it. Then I noticed the shaky picture right away, but thought it was just something they would quickly fix. Nope. And all the unnecessary zooming in and out, panning around, shooting the floor while wandering around the room for different angles only compounded matters. A fan with an iPhone prob could have done a better job.

Agreed with Cro, Skulsky's segment was clumsy. To the extent that he needed to be there at all, he should have appeared before WB (and only before) rather than after, which needlessly interrupted JT as he approached WB to shake hands. Only makes sense at these things to have the speaking order proceed by chain of command.

As for the flowers, I guess they wanted to include his wife in the proceedings somehow since she had just flown up all the way from Florida. But I think it would have been better had there been a dais for her to sit at with the rest of the principals for the duration of the event, rather than having her stand off to the side the whole time like she was just one of the rank & file and then wander over to her as he spoke. Keep it all in front of the backdrop at all times. And I know the 15 is supposed to represent 2015, but I also couldn't help but think, "That's a retired number." LOL

To the extent that all that was bad, gifting the coach felt even worse. Like there'd be no other opportunity for him to procure any team apparel? Not to mention the awkward execution of Skulsky handing JT a bunch of plastic bags like he was pawning off his gently used clothing to Big Brothers.

JT himself presented well. You got the feeling this guy isn't into the belly bumps and ice cream of his predecessor.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I think the signing speaks for itself and the TV is reporting it exactly as most see it - signing of a bigger fish who could be swimming in far deeper pools than the CFL.

I don't think anyone will care how it was done as he has a big name reputation.

If I understand it right, he wanted his wife there - so that dictated timing. The Lions don't have a media center in their facilities I don't think so why not where they held it.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Well if Wally hired Harbaugh that might have been a better hiring...then again his salary would be higher than our entire salary cap. LOL.

I do get the impression this is an amazing hire. I think we'll see a very professional run training camp and practices. Very cerebral and clearly knows his football. I'm very excited!
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
It's Divine Providence
I sure seems like there was some sort of pre determined destiny involved in the way the ideal CFL HC candidate has fallen into the Lions lap.
Call it craphouse luck or whatever. There was an inordinate number of stars the just happened to cross at the right time for this one to happen. Tedford seems to be exactly the sort of candidate the Lions needed at this point in time. And at the precise time BC needed someone like Telford he just happened to be available. This time last year fugget about it. Ditto for this time next year. Tack on the wife being Canadian and past history with the CFL and Wally and the puzzle pieces just fit perfectly. Without the little health issue he also may never have come available. Remove any one of those little factors and there is no chance this hiring happens.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Call it craphouse luck or whatever. There was an inordinate number of stars the just happened to cross at the right time for this one to happen. Tedford seems to be exactly the sort of candidate the Lions needed at this point in time. And at the precise time BC needed someone like Telford he just happened to be available. This time last year fugget about it. Ditto for this time next year. Tack on the wife being Canadian and past history with the CFL and Wally and the puzzle pieces just fit perfectly. Without the little health issue he also may never have come available. Remove any one of those little factors and there is no chance this hiring happens.
I would call it the Anna Karenina Principle in action.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This version is edited and looks fine - it's on The Province site

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... ederated=1

Highly impressive how he speaks about everything from coaches here now to ideas he has.

He's definitely ready to be a CFL HC as he understands there are differences in the game and unlike the US failures he actually played and coached here so has a healthy respect.

Wally pulled a rabbit out on this one.

In fact Wally can't lose here as this time NO one can say he hired a guy without credentials.
"It's a big deal if you're not going to come in and do the work," Buono said. "Here, (Hufnagel's) comment to me was if you get Jeff it's a great hire. He'll be up to speed in a month.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Haha. Cro you were on Fi-ya tonight. Thanks for the laughs. I agree. 4:00pm on a Friday, they should have taken Coach Tedford and his wife downtown by limo to the Pan Pacific hotel, treated them to a night's stay there tonight, and held the presser in a conference room there. Why not make big bigger? It appeared to be a good turnout, but they could have done the local media a huge favour by bringing this to Vancouver. More media = more exposure and an even bigger exclamation mark on this signing.

As for the signing, if Monty Hall had asked a month ago, "Dave Dickenson or what's behind Door #2?" I would have taken Dave in the time it takes for Stef Logan to deke a defender. Now? Given a choice between the two? Not even close. Not to disparage Dave but, although he's a gifted offensive mind who can design sophisticated schemes and move his chess pieces around against the best defensive coordinators in this league, can he lead men? Can he command a locker room? Will his guys run through a brick wall for him? We don't know that. But Tedford has been a Head Coach and is a proven winner. Today's opening remarks displayed "a natural leader."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar