Benevides Fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I guess we can scratch DD off the list: “I think Huff’s going to be here for another year or three years, basically, until he wants to shut it down,” Dickenson said. “He doesn’t have any desire — at least I don’t believe, I shouldn’t speak for him — to just throw it in no matter what the outcome of this season. I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me. I’m going to be back here next year — I’m not going anywhere — so there’s no reason to start any rumours that that’s going to be a concern. Huff will be the head coach and I’ll be the OC.”
Dickenson has to squelch the rumours while he's under contract and heading into a playoff game, but his one- to three-year timeline for Huff's retirement is interesting. It suggests that they have discussed a succession plan. Huff, by the way, is 63, a year younger than Wally.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:I guess we can scratch DD off the list: “I think Huff’s going to be here for another year or three years, basically, until he wants to shut it down,” Dickenson said. “He doesn’t have any desire — at least I don’t believe, I shouldn’t speak for him — to just throw it in no matter what the outcome of this season. I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me. I’m going to be back here next year — I’m not going anywhere — so there’s no reason to start any rumours that that’s going to be a concern. Huff will be the head coach and I’ll be the OC.”
Dickenson is patient. Good to stop the rumours.

As smart as Dave D is, he realizes how valuable the perspective of an Xs and Os master such as John Hufnagel is.

Hufnagel's knowledge and wisdom gets passed down to Dickenson.

Hufnagel is so calm on the sidelines. Wheels turning. Taking a few notes. Watching the overall play. Watching individuals.
I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me.
Calgary's gain. Our loss.

On to Plan B. Dickenson was certainly the most attractive outcome for us, but it was a longshot. We are on the outside looking in. So far. We will see Wally's decision soon enough. I hope he searches far and wide. I hope he comes up with an inspired choice.

Hufnagel has only won the Cup once. But the product on the field is excellent, year in and year out. The organization is solid. They can run schemes with any team, and compete at the highest level.

We are in retooling mode, after a crash.
Not sure how to read that. Given the Stamps are in the heat of the battle for a GC berth I think that is a wise move by Dickenson to nip the possible distraction in the bud. After the Grey Cup is over however I have to think if Wally asks for an is granted permission by Huf to talk to Dickenson that Dave would at minimum out of courtesy have a conversation with Buono. There's only 9 of these jobs in the CFL and Dickenson is a very competitive guy. Unless he senses a promotion to the Calgary HC job being on the near horizon as in the next year or two, or he feels he's not quite ready for a HC position I can't see him totally shutting the door on the BC opportunity. Definitely now is not the time for him to be thinking about jumping ship as he wants to focus on the task at hand. Once the season is behind him though he may think and respond differently.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Not sure how to read that. Given the Stamps are in the heat of the battle for a GC berth I think that is a wise move by Dickenson to nip the possible distraction in the bud. After the Grey Cup is over however I have to think if Wally asks for an is granted permission by Huf to talk to Dickenson that Dave would at minimum out of courtesy have a conversation with Buono. There's only 9 of these jobs in the CFL and Dickenson is a very competitive guy. Unless he senses a promotion to the Calgary HC job being on the near horizon as in the next year or two, or he feels he's not quite ready for a HC position I can't see him totally shutting the door on the BC opportunity. Definitely now is not the time for him to be thinking about jumping ship as he wants to focus on the task at hand. Once the season is behind him though he may think and respond differently.
Yes. It could have been an off the cuff answer to a question. And it was a pretty good answer.

At face value, it does seem to be too careful of a career plan. Stay as OC ... for how many years?

Wally should still ask for permission to speak to Dickenson, it seems to me. And Dave D would meet with Wally, even if just as a courtesy.

I agree, Hambone, that Dave D's words bear some scrutiny.

His words almost squelched the rumours. LOL
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LU has handicapped the list of potential successors, with Dickenson still atop the list at 3-2 odds.
WHO’S NEXT

An early list of possible replacement candidates, along with the early Province line for getting the top coaching job with the B.C. Lions:

Dave Dickenson — Clearly he would be not only the front-runner of the Lions, having put in his time as offensive coordinator and assistant head coach with the Calgary Stampeders, but a fan base who would dearly love him back. He has solid Calgary roots but hasn’t given up all ties to the Lower Mainland. He was recently in the process of selling a White Rock condo, which was home this season to Kevin Glenn. But it’s also reasonable to think Stamps coach/GM John Hufnagel will relinquish his coaching job to keep Dickenson, especially if Calgary can win two more games this year. Odds: 3-2.

Mark Washington — B.C. had to move Rich Stubler aside last season to keep Washington in the fold and make him a first-year defensive coordinator. All he did was deliver, until the end of the season at least, with a defence that surrendered 96 fewer points than last year. Odds: 4-1.

Paul LaPolice — TSN analyst turned down Benevides last year when there was a chance to be next in line. The former Winnipeg coach said he didn’t want to uproot his family. A chance to install his offence again might make him think differently. Odds: 6-1.

Orlondo Steinauer — Kent Austin gets credit as head coach in Hamilton for the revival of the Tiger-Cats but it is the work of their second-year defensive coordinator which has played a big part of the turnaround. Odds: 8-1.

Noel Thorpe — Another defensive-minded assistant who has paid his dues in Montreal and Edmonton. Thorpe runs an attack defence in the mould of Don Matthews and would be coming home. Odds: 8-1.

Marc Trestman — A fan board candidate based purely on wishful thinking. Trestman is still coaching the Chicago Bears, and even if he is fired as predicted, he would still be in line for any number of higher-paying positions in the NFL and NCAA. Odds: 25-1.
Province articles and video
South Pender
Legend

Some interesting speculation in LU's list and odds. Washington and Steinauer seem like longer shots than LU's odds would suggest. If we're looking at CFL people, is Milanovich not a possibility? Maybe Buono's name should be added to the list (unless he has specifically removed this possibility).
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Marc Trestman — A fan board candidate based purely on wishful thinking. Trestman is still coaching the Chicago Bears, and even if he is fired as predicted, he would still be in line for any number of higher-paying positions in the NFL and NCAA. Odds: 25-1.
Awwwe. Thanks for the shout out, Lowell.
Zorn must have done something right along the way to be hired as the Redskins head coach for 2 seasons?
He was hired as an OC, then was given the HC role when no one else, and I mean no one else wanted the job. He had, and still has, zero pro level coordinator experience and was a horrendous HC in Washington. He has also been out of coaching for two years. If this is the best the Lions can do, we're screwed.
jmc24
Rookie

Spud387 wrote:
jmc24 wrote:Please give up on the Dave Dickensen idea. He is simply NOT coming here. Having said that , I have no idea who is. Lapo? No thanks. Time to go off the board and get someone fresh. Surprise the hell out of us Wally
Have some inside info? Has Dickenson told you so?

If you are seriously interested in a guy you inquire and see. Chances of Dickenson coming here? VERY slim, but slim is not the same as nothing....
Well , at the risk of being 'that guy' , yes , I have inside info. He's not interested. I don't post all that often but I know what is going on with the club. I'm not going to say who I know and what they have told me..
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

LaPolice is interested, and may have become the favourite for the job, according to LU. Here's the latest:

Line for Lions coaching job begins to form; LaPolice doing background work
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:LU has handicapped the list of potential successors, with Dickenson still atop the list at 3-2 odds.
Dave Dickenson
Mark Washington
Paul LaPolice
Orlondo Steinauer
Noel Thorpe
Marc Trestman
Got some longshots there.

Despite what Calgary fans say, Dave Dickenson might have to move on to become a Head Coach, within the next year, or two, or three. He is saying the right things now. Of course.

If Hufnagel wants to stay as HC for a few more years, there is no way that DD stays as OC. Why would he? Makes no sense financially, and the longer he waits, the more it seems he is afraid to leave the womb. Close to Montana and family? Blah ... Guys follow their career.

In that respect, Benny should have taken the Argos' job. Out from Wally's shadow. Different program.

So I would not count Dave D out of running for B.C. Again, despite what Calgary fans want to think, or hear.

Trestman? Even a longer shot, methinks. If fired, he might choose to come back to the CFL. Recharge his batteries in a league that very much suits his style. Less pay? Well he has just cashed big bucks. Sometimes people are comfortable downsizing their careers, even temporarily.

LaPolice? I could live with that choice. Not all that exciting though. Solid candidate. Pretty good Xs and Os resume. Learned from the Winnipeg experience. Pretty good with the media. Got some creds.

Thorpe? Washington? Hmmmmm

Steinauer? Too early, it seems to me.

OC for Garcia? For sure.

If Milanovich wants out of Toronto? Top choice IMO. I have no idea about rumours of his discontent there. And it would be complicated, as Braley owns both teams.

Richie Hall? Dunno, MLF. Dunno ...

George Cortez? Recycle him? Dunno ... The TiCats were not too inspiring under his leadership, it seems to me.

Rich Stubler? Hmmmm ... Not so good with the media, but he can coach up a defence in his sleep. No nonsense coach.

I have to think Wally needs to go outside the box. As Jim Popp did with Trestman, and as he failed with Hawkins. No sure thing with outside the box thinking, but Wally missed on a large number of candidates since 2008. Hufnagel. Trestman. Milanovich. Jones. Austin.

There are guys out there, but only a couple in the CFL that seem absolutely top notch to me. And both might just be staying where they are. Dickenson and Milanovich.

Good hunting, Wally. Catch us a good one.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LaPolice? I could live with that choice. Not all that exciting though. Solid candidate. Pretty good Xs and Os resume. Learned from the Winnipeg experience. Pretty good with the media. Got some creds.
Coaching career[edit]

Early career[edit]

He broke into the coaching ranks in 1993 at Maine Maritime Academy where he served as the receivers and tight ends coach on a 9–1 team that won the NEFC and ECAC championship. The next year he coached receivers at Western Connecticut State University. He left to become the receivers coach at the University of New Hampshire for the next two seasons (1995–1996). In 1997, he was named the quarterbacks and receivers coach at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The following year he was promoted to offensive coordinator where his offenses broke 21 offensive school records in two seasons (1998–1999). In 1998, tailback Krishaun Gilmore was named UCAA and ECAC Player of the Year and a first team all American selection under LaPolice. The next year, quarterback Matt Robbens was also named UCAA and ECAC Player of the Year making the second in two years under LaPolice, as he led Rensselear to an undefeated regular season.

Canadian Football League[edit]

LaPolice entered the Canadian Football League in 2000 when Toronto Argonauts head coach John Huard hired him to become the team's receivers coach.[2] He spent two years in this capacity until he joined the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and became their offensive coordinator, quarterbacks, receivers and running backs coach. The club set 14 offensive team records in 2002, including Khari Jones throwing for a team record 46 touchdowns and slotback Milt Stegall catching a league-record 23 touchdown passes and being named the CFL's Most Outstanding Player.[3] The offense faltered with a struggling Khari Jones in 2003 and LaPolice was let go at the conclusion of the season.

In 2004 he joined the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as the team's receivers coach and stayed with the team for two years until rejoining the Toronto Argonauts, again, as the receivers coach. After former Argos' offensive coordinator Kent Austin was hired as head coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, LaPolice joined him as that team's receivers coach. After Austin left the team and Roughrider offensive coordinator Ken Miller was promoted to head coach, LaPolice was, in turn, promoted to offensive coordinator in 2008. The team finished 12–6 in 2008 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. In 2009, the Roughriders finished in first place in the West Division for the first time in 33 years, won the West final and lost in the Grey Cup final to the Montreal Alouettes on the last play. LaPolice's offense finished second in scoring and in touchdowns scored as he helped first year starting quarterback Darian Durant to a Western Division All Star nomination. After serving in that capacity for the 2008 and 2009 seasons, LaPolice was hired as the 28th head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.[4]

LaPolice's first season as head coach of the Blue Bombers saw the team win only four games and miss the playoffs. The following year, the LaPolice helped to orchestrate one of the biggest turnarounds in CFL history as the Blue Bombers finished first place in the East Division for the first time since 2001. The team also earned a berth in the Grey Cup, but lost to the BC Lions in the championship game. LaPolice named a finalist for the CFL Coach of the Year in 2011 and given a contract extension during the offseason. However, after the club's poor start to the 2012 season, LaPolice was relieved of coaching duties by general manager Joe Mack midway through the season.[4]
-- Wikipedia

David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Dorazio better be too unless Wally likes not being able to develop quality Canadian offensive lineman. Maybe we can play with 4 or 5 internationals up front next season?
Did I summarize the issue for you here Sammy??? :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Dorazio better be too unless Wally likes not being able to develop quality Canadian offensive lineman. Maybe we can play with 4 or 5 internationals up front next season?

Who says Dorazio isn't an X's and O's type. There's all kinds of them on that blackboard. :shock:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
South Pender
Legend

If Wally is looking to name a new HC by Christmas, this would seem to eliminate Trestman--unless he (Trestman) does a Bobby Petrino.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:

:rotf: Love it. Unfortunately, the blocking assignments that LaPolice likes to diagram on TSN look just as complex as Dorazio's. I'd rather have a coach who has experience in the Calgary offence. The Stamps have been able to take linemen without great credentials or experience and plug them into a cohesive unit that opens huge holes for their RBs.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

Too funny, David.

Paraphrasing one of the writers: "We want snot from your nose, gas from your a**," (and puke on the grass).