Benevides Fired

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Big Time
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Big Time wrote:UBC has an opening for their football head coach. Maybe he and Jacques Chapdelaine will square off against each other at the Shrum bowl next year.
Only problem with that scenario is that the two teams don't play in the Shrum Bowl anymore.
You may be wrong, my friend. It's not confirmed, but it appears it will return in 2015. Just in time for Bene to get his revenge against Chapball!!

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/21 ... framework/
aklawitter
All Star

Benny was a good guy... but not the right guy.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Surprised it happened already. A little surprised it happened at all, just because of the contract extension etc....

Spoke to Benevides a few times and he certainly was a nice guy, IMO...but I'm looking forward to the changes that will obviously happen as a result of this coaching change (possible-changes!).
korey&dante4ever
Champion

Can't say I agree or disagree with this move until the new head coach/coaching staff is unveiled.

Why I feel a little bad for Benny:
-He's a defensive guy, and our defense was pretty damn good. Our offensive coaching staff is pure dirt.
-I get that the coach is partly responsible for making sure his team plays disciplined, but aren't the players mature enough/smart enough to play disciplined? It's kind of beyond me. I've never understood how taking a 15 yard penalty after the whistle can make you feel better about yourself. Just bizarre IMO.
-Seems like a good human being.

In the end, I do feel this move had to be made, but if we end up with, say, a Danny Barrett... LOL.

Lastly, I would prefer an offensive minded head coach.
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
dat
Rookie

I don't think Benevides was put in as difficult a position as some say. He took over a team that had just won a Grey Cup. Yes, Lulay was out this season but Glenn had a lot of experience in the league and wasn't a rookie. However when MB was first hired a lot of people thought he would do well. As many of the posters have been saying it's not just the players who are getting better every year it's the coaching too.

DAT
JohnHenry
Champion

If the Lions are looking for some new blood (and if M. Trestman doesn't become available) is former CFL'er Jim Zorn. I was impressed with his aggressive approach to the game as HC in Washington and thought he'd make a good CFL coach. Not sure if Zorn is available or what he's doing now? Another coach worth talking to is Craig Dickenson, not just as ST-Coord but as a potential OC or HC. Just a hunch, but the Lions might be pleasantly surprised if they gave Dickenson an interview. Another obvious HC candidate would be Mtl DC Noel Thorpe.
BC 1988
Legend

aklawitter wrote:Benny was a good guy... but not the right guy.
That sums it up.
Sad that there will be no more belly-bumps and ice cream for all :rotf: ,
but it was obvious the players had tuned him out.

I was tired of seeing him ranting on the sidelines, when he should have been thinking about coaching strategies. Sames goes for his cheerleading, totally inappropiate for a HC with full game responsiblities. He got away with it when he was ST and DC, because Wally was there to make the cool-headed decisions that had to be made. The number of times this season when it was a comedy of errors of indecision in-game situations was unforgivable.

That said, I'm not sure if Lapo (who it was mentioned on 1040 today that BC is actively pursuing) or George Cortez are really what is needed. I hope they don't make too quick a hiring decision, given the tight timeline mentioned by others of needing to get a coach in place by mid-December.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:If the Lions are looking for some new blood (and if M. Trestman doesn't become available) is former CFL'er Jim Zorn. I was impressed with his aggressive approach to the game as HC in Washington and thought he'd make a good CFL coach. Not sure if Zorn is available or what he's doing now? Another coach worth talking to is Craig Dickenson, not just as ST-Coord but as a potential OC or HC. Just a hunch, but the Lions might be pleasantly surprised if they gave Dickenson an interview. Another obvious HC candidate would be Mtl DC Noel Thorpe.
Thorpe? Sure. Craig Dickenson? Meh.

I'm going to pretend you didn't mention Jim Zorn, who went 12-20 and was laughed out of Washington for being a buffoon. He is now out of coaching, has been since the end of 2012, and I would assume in semi-retirement.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'm a bit surprised at the firing given that Benevides was attached to Buono at birth. Having said that it was warranted. It was obvious to any fan that Benevides has lost control of the team. In some respect, I feel sorry about his firing. It wasn't really his team; it was Wally's with his pulling the strings behind the spotlight. It was a no win situation. I'm also surprise that none of his assistants were let go. I wish all the best to Benevides.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How ironic Benevides was featured in "What would you do if you weren't a football player ?" in the Lions' last home game.
JohnHenry
Champion

cromartie wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:If the Lions are looking for some new blood (and if M. Trestman doesn't become available) is former CFL'er Jim Zorn. I was impressed with his aggressive approach to the game as HC in Washington and thought he'd make a good CFL coach. Not sure if Zorn is available or what he's doing now? Another coach worth talking to is Craig Dickenson, not just as ST-Coord but as a potential OC or HC. Just a hunch, but the Lions might be pleasantly surprised if they gave Dickenson an interview. Another obvious HC candidate would be Mtl DC Noel Thorpe.
Thorpe? Sure. Craig Dickenson? Meh.

I'm going to pretend you didn't mention Jim Zorn, who went 12-20 and was laughed out of Washington for being a buffoon. He is now out of coaching, has been since the end of 2012, and I would assume in semi-retirement.
I remember this guy named Belichick who was fired after a 5-11 season in Cleveland, I guess he was no good either? And Trestman who was laughed out of the NFL and couldn't keep a coordinator's job...but who's laughing now? Zorn might not have been a winning NFL coach but there were many factors which hampered his success in Washington, many which were out of the coach's control. There have been many examples of failed coaches who turned things dramatically around with the right personelle and situation. Zorn must have done something right along the way to be hired as the Redskins head coach for 2 seasons? I was impressed with his approach to the game...not his win/loss record and thought he might be a good fit for the CFL. Zorn might also be a salable commodity in Vancouver with his Seahawk connections and NFL pedigree...but better than C. Dickenson? Only time will tell... :beauty:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:How ironic Benevides was featured in "What would you do if you weren't a football player ?" in the Lions' last home game.
Oh, there were plenty of jokes about that in my section as it went down.

"You'd HAVE to be a plumber to fix all the leaks on this team!"
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:How ironic Benevides was featured in "What would you do if you weren't a football player ?" in the Lions' last home game.
Good point..... As a person, I hope he lands on his feet doing something he loves. Somehow I doubt it will be plumbing......
JohnHenry
Champion

I guess we can scratch DD off the list: “I think Huff’s going to be here for another year or three years, basically, until he wants to shut it down,” Dickenson said. “He doesn’t have any desire — at least I don’t believe, I shouldn’t speak for him — to just throw it in no matter what the outcome of this season. I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me. I’m going to be back here next year — I’m not going anywhere — so there’s no reason to start any rumours that that’s going to be a concern. Huff will be the head coach and I’ll be the OC.”
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I guess we can scratch DD off the list: “I think Huff’s going to be here for another year or three years, basically, until he wants to shut it down,” Dickenson said. “He doesn’t have any desire — at least I don’t believe, I shouldn’t speak for him — to just throw it in no matter what the outcome of this season. I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me. I’m going to be back here next year — I’m not going anywhere — so there’s no reason to start any rumours that that’s going to be a concern. Huff will be the head coach and I’ll be the OC.”
Dickenson is patient. Good to stop the rumours.

As smart as Dave D is, he realizes how valuable the perspective of an Xs and Os master such as John Hufnagel is.

Hufnagel's knowledge and wisdom gets passed down to Dickenson.

Hufnagel is so calm on the sidelines. Wheels turning. Taking a few notes. Watching the overall play. Watching individuals.
I love having him around. Working with him has been a very positive thing for me.
Calgary's gain. Our loss.

On to Plan B. Dickenson was certainly the most attractive outcome for us, but it was a longshot. We are on the outside looking in. So far. We will see Wally's decision soon enough. I hope he searches far and wide. I hope he comes up with an inspired choice.

Hufnagel has only won the Cup once. But the product on the field is excellent, year in and year out. The organization is solid. They can run schemes with any team, and compete at the highest level.

We are in retooling mode, after a crash.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.